Diablo® III

The Definitive Sustained-Archon Guide

A lot of the little things about perma-archon seem nitpicky, but the effeciency comes from those long durations, which are an accumulation of a lot of nitpicky things allowing you to reach more mobs before your timer runs out.

Thanks Maysrill, for you have succinctly captured the essence of the Sustained Archon build. It's all about carefully managing your Archon timer and do all those little 'nitpicky' things to keep the engine running.
Note on Forked Lightning - it has a 16.67% cm coef, but it fires twice as fast as other spells so it effectively has a 33.3% cm coef, and the little spark balls have a small proc chance as well.
Hi, might be considering the switch, couple of questions.

1) Can you try explain the Galvanising Ward part again? You said "galvanizing lets you 'bank' your saved archon secs in case you run into such drought." I dont understand this? the tooltip just says it makes your armor lasts 60seconds instead of 120. If your archon turns off then cant you just cast another armor?
2) is the 100kdps you recommend before or after you have all the spark flint, magic weapon, glass cannon etc.
3) Which archon rune? just the 25% bonus dmg generally?

Found the first post a good read cheers, I think I could probably run it although I will miss my forked lightning.
Hi, might be considering the switch, couple of questions.

1) Can you try explain the Galvanising Ward part again? You said "galvanizing lets you 'bank' your saved archon secs in case you run into such drought." I dont understand this? the tooltip just says it makes your armor lasts 60seconds instead of 120. If your archon turns off then cant you just cast another armor?
2) is the 100kdps you recommend before or after you have all the spark flint, magic weapon, glass cannon etc.
3) Which archon rune? just the 25% bonus dmg generally?

Found the first post a good read cheers, I think I could probably run it although I will miss my forked lightning.

1) sometimes you get an abundance of white trash mobs that'll fill your archon timer up, so you can keep going without worrying about prismatic armor buff. because without the force armor, i'm quite susceptible to damage , even in archon form. the problem with archon is that it has short duration to start with, and if u get stuck with an elite or hit an empty pocket of sparse mobs, you lose your archon. sure you can cancel and refresh buffs, but if you run in to elite pack right away or lack of mobs , your archon is toast. what galv ward does is it lets you overcome these temporary droughts, to make your perma archon run smoother.

2) 100k dps is post buff with flint, forceweapon, glass cannon applied.

3) i recommend 'newbie' archon users, like myself, to use improved archon, because dps is probably our biggest obstacle, and you cant beat another 25% increase. when your dps is sufficient, teleport is a good option too for faster travel.

4) you can still stick with forked lightning as your regular attack if you like, there's no stopping you. all a matter of preference.

Looking at your profile, you're almost there, couple of tweaks and you should be good to go.
- upgrade your old inna pants to new inna pants for 5 extra move speed
- change from magic weapon to force weapon, the magic weapon life leech doesnt work in archon form.
- do you find yourself dying alot in non archon form? try switching teleport to diamondskin.
Edited by eLINminator#1776 on 9/22/2012 9:01 AM PDT
Hey,
Good read. Thank you. Been practicing this build for a bit now. I am a CM/SC player. I'm finding my dps to still be to low to sustain archon form. Can you please take a look at my gear and see where my next real big upgrade can be? Gold is a problem so I think 20-30 million would be the max I can spend. I have a rare 2h I have been trying that boost me up over 300% crit damage but it only gives me a 10k dps increase over my CM 1h/source so I may still need a new weapon 2h or 1h/source.

Thanks for any advice. Your advice on changing out the helmet gave me a 11k dps boost for only 2million. :)
Edited by Chopain#1624 on 9/23/2012 8:06 AM PDT
Hey,
Good read. Thank you. Been practicing this build for a bit now. I am a CM/SC player. I'm finding my dps to still be to low to sustain archon form. Can you please take a look at my gear and see where my next real big upgrade can be? Gold is a problem so I think 20-30 million would be the max I can spend. I have a rare 2h I have been trying that boost me up over 300% crit damage but it only gives me a 10k dps increase over my CM 1h/source so I may still need a new weapon 2h or 1h/source.

Thanks for any advice. Your advice on changing out the helmet gave me a 11k dps boost for only 2million. :)

your plain andariel should be like 300k, not 2mil.

your dps is fine. your AR is bit low and you have no life leech, dont you have trouble staying alive in archon form? weapon with socket would boost your dps quite a bit also, since you have high crit chance alrdy.

so a good weapon with life steal and socket would solve much of your problems, you should be able to get a decent one for 20-30m
Hey, good read. I have about 25 mil banked but don't know what to spend it on to improve my character on this build. Can you give some advice on the best bang for my buck?

I was dying in archon mode a bit too much until I invested in some of the LOH items. So hopefully I can get a big DPS boost and eventually replace the LOH items.

Thanks
Hey, good read. I have about 25 mil banked but don't know what to spend it on to improve my character on this build. Can you give some advice on the best bang for my buck?

I was dying in archon mode a bit too much until I invested in some of the LOH items. So hopefully I can get a big DPS boost and eventually replace the LOH items.

Thanks

you alrdy have LS, LOH wont help you much.

Your choice of Deep Freeze bothers me, you shouldnt be using that. You dont need it on white trash and it's ineffective on elites. Switch to diamonskin for defense or long ranged attk like RoF or Lightning. And you're not using glass cannon.

Easiest/cheapest dps fix is andariel visage, but even with that, i'm afraid you wont be ready with 20m. You're not quite there yet, keep upgrading gear. Save up for witching hr or crit lacuni bracer .
Thoughts on LS Skorn v 1h oh? Thinking about throwing some money at a LS Skorn.
Hello. First off, great read. I've been running a somewhat same build as yours for quite some time now and I'm doing the Alkaizer run with relative ease compared to other builds I've tried. Although I admit I still die about 5 times per run.

I just need your input on which should I improve the most with my gears. Don't mind the accessories as I'm planning to sell those before the new patch comes out. I have around 50M to spend. I was thinking of buying a decent wand with LS/LOH (which one is better?). How about Lacuni/Inna's pants?
For solo play Lifesteal is for nabs who cant use their eyes or time potions. End of story.
Good post. I know everyone acknowledges that blood magic is broken, but it works for me. I see a substantial increase of life I am gaining during battle when I use blood magic instead of force weapon. My best guess of why it works for me is that I have a signature spell as my right click... I have not tested it with a non signature spell in that spot.
09/26/2012 04:39 AMPosted by Seolfor
For solo play Lifesteal is for nabs who cant use their eyes or time potions. End of story.

It is def possible to do archon Without LS, but why do it? It makes it so much harder. A lot easier to get LS...
And it increases your overall Survivability by a ton.
Because youre paying 10x for an equivalent weapon WITH LS, just to deal with 2-3 elite packs per run.

At most, keep a cheaper, lower DPS LS+LoH weapon in ur inventory and swap to it on ref dmg elite packs.

Totally unecessary - you really cant remove the affordability argument from gear choices.

Cause with the affordability lens every single wizard must be using 100-400+ Chants Sources, period.

"It makes life a lot easier."
I also use LS to charge into packs, not caring so much about affixes (saves time, important).

I can stand in desecrator or poison if I am actively beaming elites, saving the time moving out of them.

It scales with the number of mobs I'm hitting (who are usually hitting back). I can't even recall the number of "oh crap, how am I going to live through this?!" moments when getting into a crossfire by 2 packs + trash, and walking away with loot at the end.

You eat Reflect Damage packs for lunch and will continue post-1.05 (check the PTR feedback forums for horror stories of people trying to outrun MP-x mobs with Reflect using LoH or regen).

It does not become obsolete with difficulty; it scales off your real damage done, not a per-hit basis.

If you want to run archon well, and can't afford a high-DPS LS weapon, that's a valid concern. You have 2 choices: Gimmick something up with LoK, regen, etc., or back off on the "high DPS" part a bit. I used to farm A3 with a 989 DPS doomhammer with decent CD, INT, and most importantly 5.9% LS (I think I dropped about 1.5m on it).
Edited by Maysrill#1190 on 9/26/2012 5:59 AM PDT
Thanks Maysrill, you've hit the nail on the head once again. I see our philosophies are alike.

It's all about EFFICIENCY.

Lifeleech means you can simply stand there and take a beating in order to continue the dps. Moving to dodge an attack means you're not DPSing, you're being less efficient. No amount of 'leet skills' will prevent this fact.

My 'gear check' section is there to provide a baseline to run sustained Archon in an efficient manner. People that claim they dont NEED one of these is either
1) not running archon with 90% uptime, therefore defeating the purpose of this build.
2) grossly surpass the gear check in another category.

Is LifeLeech an absolute requirement? No, nothing is set in stone. If you can compensate with 200k dps and 10k armor/ 1k AR, you probably dont NEED life leech.

Can you get away with gear requirement by swapping? maybe, but you'll lose valuable seconds manually swapping gear during battle or have to use a 3rd party tool(illegal)

my gear check section IS the cheapest combination available. unfortunately, this isn't a build that anyone can pickup up right away, due to the high gear requirement. there aren't many corners that you can cut.
09/26/2012 04:39 AMPosted by Seolfor

Never mind the life steal, the fact that you are able to run PERMANENT archon in GROUP mode means you're much more godlier than us. LOL, seriously?

Please leave this discussion for us "nabs". End of story.
09/24/2012 02:31 PMPosted by LukeShep
Thoughts on LS Skorn v 1h oh? Thinking about throwing some money at a LS Skorn.

Skorn is one of the cheapest available options out there, it's like this weapon was designed for archon mode. For the price of the skorn , you probably wont be able to get the equivalent of 1h + source for it. The affortability of skorn makes it an excellent choice for archon builds.
Hello. First off, great read. I've been running a somewhat same build as yours for quite some time now and I'm doing the Alkaizer run with relative ease compared to other builds I've tried. Although I admit I still die about 5 times per run.

I just need your input on which should I improve the most with my gears. Don't mind the accessories as I'm planning to sell those before the new patch comes out. I have around 50M to spend. I was thinking of buying a decent wand with LS/LOH (which one is better?). How about Lacuni/Inna's pants?

1) definitely go for LS, not LOH.
2)Either lacuni or inna pants is fine, but you need one of them.
50m for above upgrades is close, but definitely doable.

I started like where you're at now also. with enough practice and gear upgrades, you'll be able to breeze through act3 with no deaths and in record time. You're almost there, keep at it!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]