Diablo® III

The Definitive Sustained-Archon Guide

Godly 1h plus godly source is better than skorn. However, you will probably pay ten times as much. I would stick with your skorn and look elsewhere. Personally, I love stacking IAS in non-IAS spots. Ridiculous damage upgrades.
A couple of other tips as promised (still might have a few more though)

- There seems to be a delay before you can do damage to a winged molok as it lands. I'm pretty sure that the arcane blast will allow you to damage the moloks earlier than the disintegration wave allows, which can buy you precious time

- For the enemies with lots of hitpoints, sometimes it quick tap of the disintegration wave followed by an arcane blast can finish them off quick enough to be worth bothering with.

- Arcane blast is also useful as you walk through a doorway in the keep level 2 to clear out any hiding Fallen maniacs before they get you

- Maximus on the enchantress is awesome. You get a fire chain tethered demon that will often keep enemies at bay whilst you disintegrate them. It's also awesome with 24 move speed and teleport (I have high enough DPS to be able to use teleport Archon). The reason being that because you are moving so fast most of the time, the fire chain stretches out to be really long and can wipe out a good number of enemies. I've also found once, that I came across a few packs of phase beasts all together. Ran to chase a goblin and by the time I got back, the demon and enchantress had wiped out all of the phase beasts by themselves.

- Teleport with wormhole is awesome. On the tower levels, I find it very helpful before putting archon on to warp past any initial small groups of enemies and helps me draw a big crowd of enemies to fuel archon.

- I tend to equip my enchantress with a puzzle ring as well, then when I am finishing off in arreat core at the end of my run, if archon happens to drop at any point, I'll go stand in the flamethrowers so that the enchantress is being hit by them. Every now and again I get treasure goblin to chase whilst I am waiting for archon to refresh.

- I tend not to bother worrying about picking up any amount of gold smaller than 1,000 gold unless I have plenty of time left on archon, this seems to still result in a net haul of gold that is worth having, about 240k an hour as I mentioned earlier.

- If I know I'm close to the maximum number of elite kills for an area and there is still a large area left to explore, I'll simply not bother and just move onto the next area. This helps maximise the number of elite kills for time spent.
Edited by Mephs#2752 on 10/8/2012 12:35 PM PDT
A couple of other tips as promised (still might have a few more though)

- There seems to be a delay before you can do damage to a winged molok as it lands. I'm pretty sure that the arcane blast will allow you to damage the moloks earlier than the disintegration wave allows, which can buy you precious time

- For the enemies with lots of hitpoints, sometimes it quick tap of the disintegration wave followed by an arcane blast can finish them off quick enough to be worth bothering with.

- Arcane blast is also useful as you walk through a doorway in the keep level 2 to clear out any hiding Fallen maniacs before they get you

- Maximus on the enchantress is awesome. You get a fire chain tethered demon that will often keep enemies at bay whilst you disintegrate them. It's also awesome with 24 move speed and teleport (I have high enough DPS to be able to use teleport Archon). The reason being that because you are moving so fast most of the time, the fire chain stretches out to be really long and can wipe out a good number of enemies. I've also found once, that I came across a few packs of phase beasts all together. Ran to chase a goblin and by the time I got back, the demon and enchantress had wiped out all of the phase beasts by themselves.

- Teleport with wormhole is awesome. On the tower levels, I find it very helpful before putting archon on to warp past any initial small groups of enemies and helps me draw a big crowd of enemies to fuel archon.

- I tend to equip my enchantress with a puzzle ring as well, then when I am finishing off in arreat core at the end of my run, if archon happens to drop at any point, I'll go stand in the flamethrowers so that the enchantress is being hit by them. Every now and again I get treasure goblin to chase whilst I am waiting for archon to refresh.

- I tend not to bother worrying about picking up any amount of gold smaller than 1,000 gold unless I have plenty of time left on archon, this seems to still result in a net haul of gold that is worth having, about 240k an hour as I mentioned earlier.

- If I know I'm close to the maximum number of elite kills for an area and there is still a large area left to explore, I'll simply not bother and just move onto the next area. This helps maximise the number of elite kills for time spent.

thx for the tips, few notes

- you can dmg winged moloks before they land with your laser beam, dont need arcane blast for that. there's a delay tho, they'll have to land first before they can die. turn on monster healthbar and you'll see this better.

- arcane blast tips alrdy covered in my section. It do feel it's really is under utilized, you need to master the art of using arcane blast if you're to be successful running perma archon.

- follower tips are awesome, but i didnt think they were archon specific. so i didnt include them. used both maximus and puzzle rings myself. tried to get legacy of wicked dreams to work on follower, too bad it's broken now :(

- the gold pile pickup should be location based, not amount based, if i 2000+ gold pile drop far behind me, i dont go back and pick it up, that's a waste of 2 seconds back and forth. where as if i see 200 pile i'll go pick it up if it's on the way.

- the last "# of elites cleared" tip is good if you're rare pack hunting, but for current xp grind, i usually clear whole area.
I just wanted to throw my typical run in here:
1. Keep depths 2
1.b. If I have leftover archon time I teleport and do keep depths 3
2. bridge of k[whatever]->go up the left side->all the way down the bridge to rakkis crossing->underbridge if it's there
3. core of arreat level 1->tower of damned level 1.
3.b If I hit a dead end I immediately teleport and go to tower of damned level 1
4. core of arreat level 2 -> tower of the cursed1
4.b again if I hit a major dead end I just tp and go straight to tower of the cursed
5. stonefort (have to start archon a little ways in. after the "raising" bridge, sometimes as far as the part where the mobs come out of the grate)
6. keep depths 1 (I do this last since archon runs out very easily on this area and once it runs out I just TP and end the run)

I used to find archon very frustrating because it would run out constantly on me because I was doing areas that simply didnt have enough monster density. If anyone else is having this problem I would suggest trying my run.
[1.05 Updates]

- So I've had people ask me what skills to use to refresh archon now in 1.05.
The answer is "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!"
The strength of this build lies in PERMA archon.
If you're constantly seeking to refresh Archon, you're not running the build correctly, and in most cases, you're in the wrong MP level.

- So what MP level should I be in?
You should be in the MP that you can face roll with EASE. Sustained Archon has always been fast rolling facemelting build. If you're not face melting stuff with ease, you're not taking advantage of the strength of this build.
Simple test, whites should not take you more than 1 second to melt, packs should not take you more than 5 seconds.

- Do not let your ego dictate which MP level you choose to run.
There is no shame in running at MP1, it's a shame to run 'archon build' in MP5 and struggling to keep archon up.

- If there's a choice between 100% archon uptime and 80% archon uptime, downgrade your MP and choose 100% uptime. The xp/mf bonus is so negligible that 100% uptime is the clear choice in terms of efficiency.

- Ask yourself, what is your goal? MF/rare hunt? XP/paragon? Infernal Hunt?
MF/Rare - You go with lowest MP , more kills = more drops. the mf bonus is negligible
XP/paragon - You go with lowest MP, more kills = more xp. the xp bonus is negligible
Infernal machine item hunt- You go with highest MP you can handle, in which case, the perma archon build is less than ideal in this situation, go with CM.

- Give Storm Armor - Scramble a try, it's a dps buff and mobility buff combined.
24 ms + Scramble = VROOOOOOM
24 ms + Scramble + Fleeting Shrine = SPEED HACK.

I cant stress this enough.
I'll still use archon but probably not this build. Problem I have and my friend who has this same problem is that archon just doesnt kill fast enough at mp5 and above. Dont get me wrong we're still farming it but its more frustrating than you think. And he's rolling at least 70k more dps than me. In patch 1.04 this was quite viable but at even mp3 or 4, you're having a tough time. Long story short, wiz got part of the short end of the stick. Monk got the rest.
What is the current archon build?
10/17/2012 05:11 PMPosted by choppies
What is the current archon build?

Read eLINminator's last post. Just maximize archon effectiveness while filling the remaining spell slots with filler to survive during the 5% that you aren't in archon.
this is the latest build i run for 1.05

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZTXSjm!fgY!bYaZaZ

MP2, my normal act3 run, 30 mins per run.
Tips on DPS for each MP level? Obviously is going to depend some on EHP and which act but just roughly for a baseline.
10/18/2012 07:39 PMPosted by drussell
Tips on DPS for each MP level? Obviously is going to depend some on EHP and which act but just roughly for a baseline.

rough estimate
MP1 - 100k dps
MP2 - 120k dps
MP3 - 150k dps
MP4+ - out of my league for my avg gear to test, but my guess is the growth in dps requirement will grow dramatically as you scale up in MP

You dont even need a table to tell you which MP to do, start at MP1, and move up gradually. can you kill trash in 1 second? can you kill packs in 5 secs? if not , stop and go back to previous MP. too many people are attempting to fly before they can even jog.
I'm liking Thunderstorm on Storm Armor, as I don't really get hit. It actually one shots mobs for me on mp2. No more chasing pesky stragglers; I don't even have to stop running unless there's a pack of 4+ mobs. I cut 8 minutes off my clear time, and I'm now clocking 50 mill xp/hour. If I stuck to high density areas, it would go even higher.

May also want to try Disintegrate + Prism (reduces casting cost to 11) instead of Ray of Frost.
Edited by Shelendil#1520 on 10/19/2012 11:19 AM PDT
Thanks Shelendil! I'm in love with Thunderstorm now.

It's funny how you can walk around and something dies in the next room, you have no idea what you just killed, but it's very satisfying.

awesome tip! thank you!!!

disintegrate + prism? sounds good, i'll try that when i get an soj with minus disnitegrate cost. i like RoF now because i have the gear for it, +15 crit chance on soj(7)+helm(8), i can burn down packs quick with it, and with the lowered cost, i rarely run out of mana now.
10/18/2012 09:04 PMPosted by eLINminator

rough estimate
MP1 - 100k dps
MP2 - 120k dps
MP3 - 150k dps
MP4+ - out of my league for my avg gear to test, but my guess is the growth in dps requirement will grow dramatically as you scale up in MP

You dont even need a table to tell you which MP to do, start at MP1, and move up gradually. can you kill trash in 1 second? can you kill packs in 5 secs? if not , stop and go back to previous MP. too many people are attempting to fly before they can even jog.

I'll throw some estimates.

MP4 - 190k DPS+
MP5 - 250k DPS+
MP6 - 350k DPS+
MP7 - 475k DPS+
MP8+ - 650k DPS+
10/19/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Boozor

rough estimate
MP1 - 100k dps
MP2 - 120k dps
MP3 - 150k dps

MP4 - 190k DPS+
MP5 - 250k DPS+
MP6 - 350k DPS+
MP7 - 475k DPS+
MP8+ - 650k DPS+

i'll be the first to say these figures WAY off.
if your runs are more than 40mins... YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!
check out my build...living lighting procs cm very fast and no need for apoc...you can reset archon almost just as fast as last patch so you can stay in much longer.

let me know how it works for you

MP4 - 190k DPS+
MP5 - 250k DPS+
MP6 - 350k DPS+
MP7 - 475k DPS+
MP8+ - 650k DPS+

i'll be the first to say these figures WAY off.
if your runs are more than 40mins... YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!

What do you mean way off?

Have you tried the higher MPs with the DPS I listed out?

They are estimates but are educated estimates.

The only Archon that even claims can do MP7-8+ is Audi.

Others are stumped at MP5-6.

I have 230k DPS, I burn through MP4, but MP5 provides a bit more downtime for Archon.

EDIT:

My runs are not over 40mins on the contrary they are very fast and I'm speaking for the sake of efficiency you need the DPS #s I listed in Archon form.

Not "hey I can kill a couple elite packs, and limp my way to the repair bill hospital" runs because those are not efficient.
Edited by Boozor#1433 on 10/19/2012 1:12 PM PDT
sorry boozor, didnt mean to completely brush you off.
if you're able to do quick runs at MP4, then your numbers are legit, for mp4 at least.

you mentioned 190k at mp4, that looked shaky to me, perhaps at 230 it's more realistic.
so if MP4 is 230, MP5 is more like 350-400. i imagine the dps requirement to rise sharply as you go up MP levels.

it's just that so many ppl are claiming they can "do" archon runs at MP-X, and their runs are 2 hrs...

if you look at Audi's video of "doing archon runs at MP7", it shows archon up time of less than 50%, those are not efficient archon runs. It's educational in that the video shows how NOT to do archon runs. :)
I feel comfortable with 250k on MP4, but not if I swap in an xp ring which lowers my dps by 20k. Based on that assumption I get the following:

MP Damage
1 83k
2 125k
3 180k
4 250k
5 355k
6 500k
7 700k
8 975k

Defensive stats will have to go up comparably to damage stats to avoid excessive kiting.
[1.05 Updates]

- So I've had people ask me what skills to use to refresh archon now in 1.05.
The answer is "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!"
The strength of this build lies in PERMA archon. If you're constantly seeking to refresh Archon, you're not running the build correctly, and in most cases, you're in the wrong MP level.

- So what MP level should I be in?
You should be in the MP that you can face roll with EASE. Sustained Archon has always been fast rolling facemelting build. If you're not face melting stuff with ease, you're not taking advantage of the strength of this build.
Simple test, whites should not take you more than 1 second to melt, packs should not take you more than 5 seconds.

There is no shame in running at MP1, it's a shame to run 'archon build' in MP5 and struggling to keep archon up.

- If there's a choice between 100% archon uptime and 80% archon uptime, downgrade your MP and choose 100% uptime. The xp/mf bonus is so negligible that 100% uptime is the clear choice in terms of efficiency.

- Ask yourself, what is your goal? MF/rare hunt? XP/paragon? Infernal Hunt?
MF/Rare - You go with lowest MP , more kills = more drops. the mf bonus is negligible
XP/paragon - You go with lowest MP, more kills = more xp. the xp bonus is negligible
Infernal machine item hunt- You go with highest MP you can handle, in which case, the perma archon build is less than ideal in this situation, go with CM.

- Give Storm Armor - Scramble a try, it's a dps buff and mobility buff combined.
24 ms + Scramble = VROOOOOOM
24 ms + Scramble + Fleeting Shrine = SPEED HACK.

I cant stress this enough.

Can't agree more. I can still melt MP3 and keep archon most of the time but I came back to faceroll MP1, since I believe I kill much faster to out-benefit that tiny 50% MF and 20% XP.

Today a friend invited me to try farm MP6 and I replied "why bother". I prolly can survive with CM spec but that would be retardedly slow progress. With the same time spent I maybe can clear MP1 several times over and get a bunch of junk brown or green.

I will not go beyond MP1 unless I upgrade DPS or when I use CM spec to get keys.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]