Diablo® III

The Definitive Sustained-Archon Guide

10/27/2012 10:05 PMPosted by Malkav
Elin, thanks for the valuable info. I'm an aspiring arching wizards and the info helped a lot. Was wondering if I could friend you so you could give me some tips on gear and what I need to alter to make it more efficient. Thanks!

sure, you can add me if u need help.

i alrdy provided some budget options in my original post. a cheap lacunis bracer will probably benefit you now.
[quote]
I have a question for Eliminator and any other archon expert here. When archon drops for whatever reason and you encounter an elite pack, do you pop archon, burning them down, hoping there would be a pack of trash mobs in the next room? Or you use regular spells to kill the elites and only pop archon again when you see enough trash mobs? I'm currently choosing the second way but feel a bit lame. It happened to me so many times that I cannot find enough trash after I beam down the elites and then lose archon again.

in most situations, the correct choice is to use your regular spells to burn down elite packs. because like u said, if u pop archon, chances are you'll lose it after u take down the pack, and u end up with huge downtime.

your 2 optional spells should enable you to take a pack headon without much trouble.

Yeah, the tradeoff is that I'm much weaker off archon form. Some seemingly easy combo with Jailer/Waller/Frozen/Desec can be deadly if I don't have teleport, while reflect is a pain if I don't have DS... Recently I have been trying to run past the elites and kite them into the next pack of trash and finish them all together. It worked perfectly sometimes but not always possible though.
But now OP is CM/WW !?
10/29/2012 02:23 PMPosted by Inspy
But now OP is CM/WW !?

Different build for different tasks.

CM is best for uber farming.

Archon is STILL king when it comes to xp/rare farm.

Look for my ultimate DPS build soon!
Just a quick heads up - I've been tweaking my archon build here and there and I stumbled over Storm Armor - Scramble. It's been already used by the high end wizards in 1.0.4 (1.0.3) but wow, did it get a huge buff! I was under the impression SA is ok, but more like a melee range zapping, more for procs than damage. Quite a shock to see it behaving basically like D2 sorc Thunderstorm, 2 shotting white mobs @ the very edge of the screen... If you haven't tried it before in 1.0,5 - please do, you will not be disappointed ;)

Current spec:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VmTjXS!Ygf!YcYaaZ

Compared to the classic Archon spec - highly increased run speed that leads to easier 100% archon uptime, considerable dps boost (the lightnings hurt a lot!), CM procs noticeably more frequently.

Tested with 180k dps gear, 2.7 LS, 300 LoH. Immortal @ mp4, under 20 mins alkaizer paths, boosted me from 50 to 54 in 1 day...
09/18/2012 12:15 PMPosted by eLINminator
- Stone of Jordan, get it , use it. It's huge dps boost vs elites, no other ring will come close to the dps of this ring. yes, even your 1 billion gold trifectas.

do you find 2 sojs an overkill?
Just a quick heads up - I've been tweaking my archon build here and there and I stumbled over Storm Armor - Scramble. It's been already used by the high end wizards in 1.0.4 (1.0.3) but wow, did it get a huge buff! I was under the impression SA is ok, but more like a melee range zapping, more for procs than damage. Quite a shock to see it behaving basically like D2 sorc Thunderstorm, 2 shotting white mobs @ the very edge of the screen... If you haven't tried it before in 1.0,5 - please do, you will not be disappointed ;)

Current spec:

Compared to the classic Archon spec - highly increased run speed that leads to easier 100% archon uptime, considerable dps boost (the lightnings hurt a lot!), CM procs noticeably more frequently.

Tested with 180k dps gear, 2.7 LS, 300 LoH. Immortal @ mp4, under 20 mins alkaizer paths, boosted me from 50 to 54 in 1 day...

I had played around with SA/Scr and a couple of the other runes. That was a bit of DPS ago for me. Maybe I'll give it a try at MP4. Right now I'm steamrolling M3 runs at a 16-20 minute rate using Pinpoint Barrier.

The biggest issue I have with Scramble is that often times I'm not getting hit a lot. The times I most want runspeed is when there are no mobs. The one thing it might do though it help replace Teleport with Improved Archon, which could burn down MP4 elites faster. I'd use both TP and Scramble as a quick post-fight speed boost to get moving. (the number of times TP actually saves me from anything is fairly small).
10/31/2012 06:29 AMPosted by konieczny
- Stone of Jordan, get it , use it. It's huge dps boost vs elites, no other ring will come close to the dps of this ring. yes, even your 1 billion gold trifectas.

do you find 2 sojs an overkill?

if i could, i would, because archon only cares about raw dps.
unfortunately, you can only wear one, due to Unique Equip restriction.
(legacy soj is junk)

Current spec:

I had played around with SA/Scr and a couple of the other runes. That was a bit of DPS ago for me. Maybe I'll give it a try at MP4. Right now I'm steamrolling M3 runs at a 16-20 minute rate using Pinpoint Barrier.

The biggest issue I have with Scramble is that often times I'm not getting hit a lot. The times I most want runspeed is when there are no mobs. The one thing it might do though it help replace Teleport with Improved Archon, which could burn down MP4 elites faster. I'd use both TP and Scramble as a quick post-fight speed boost to get moving. (the number of times TP actually saves me from anything is fairly small).

Already posted on Storm Armor couple weeks ago, glad people are catching on. I feel Storm Armor is THE archon armor to use in 1.05. Mainly due to its power to pick off stragglers. You no longer have to turn around to finish off stragglers or mobs with low health. That's alot of valuable 1 seconds saved over the course of the run. I like thunderstorm over scramble because as others mentioned, you dont get hit alot, and when you do get hit, you're stopping to fight things off, so when you're done fighting, you're probably left with 1 second left on the scramble buff. You end up WANTING to get hit while trying to get that speed buff going.

shelendil had the best idea on another thread:
The optimum MP to run is the MP where your storm armor can one shot stuff.

You'll need to adjust your play style a bit, i.e. dont stop to fight off that last mob, or to burn off that last silver of health left on a mob. It's a bit counter-intuitive , but you 'll soon realize the net time savings is huge on storm armor, because now you're truly flying through everything.

Already posted on Storm Armor couple weeks ago, glad people are catching on. I feel Storm Armor is THE archon armor to use in 1.05. Mainly due to its power to pick off stragglers. You no longer have to turn around to finish off stragglers or mobs with low health. That's alot of valuable 1 seconds saved over the course of the run. I like thunderstorm over scramble because as others mentioned, you dont get hit alot, and when you do get hit, you're stopping to fight things off, so when you're done fighting, you're probably left with 1 second left on the scramble buff. You end up WANTING to get hit while trying to get that speed buff going.

shelendil had the best idea on another thread:
The optimum MP to run is the MP where your storm armor can one shot stuff.

You'll need to adjust your play style a bit, i.e. dont stop to fight off that last mob, or to burn off that last silver of health left on a mob. It's a bit counter-intuitive , but you 'll soon realize the net time savings is huge on storm armor, because now you're truly flying through everything.

Strongly agree with the point that your storm armor should be able to one shot a regular trash mob to be optimally efficient, although I didn't notice a significant difference when I used Thunderstorm or Scramble. Yes I did waste a couple of seconds of scramble buff most of the time... The best scenario might be getting burned by the flamethrower in the craters or towers on your dash to the next pack:) Maybe should give Thunderstorm another try, but my concern has always been reflect packs. It seems most of you have similar unbuffed mitigation as mine, just how well do you handle reflect packs with storm armor?
Hi, OP!

Just wanted to ask for your view on using Shocking Aspect. Do you find it more efficient in picking off mobs since archon build has a high cc? And is so, what is the effective cc to have?

Also, does anyone have confirmation that blood magic is now really working with archon? I run with blood magic and no LS weapon and I get clobbered by reflect damage. But using a LS weapon without BM seems to work in getting HP back.

Thanks!
Scramble > all other runes of shocking since you should be melting most things before they get close.

Shocking is for cm since they need high cc and get up front and personal

Strongly agree with the point that your storm armor should be able to one shot a regular trash mob to be optimally efficient, although I didn't notice a significant difference when I used Thunderstorm or Scramble.

To be optimally efficient you want Storm Armor to pick off mobs PLUS Scramble as well. Like you said it works on flamethrowers - does wonders for your Tower/Core/Crater levels doing Act 3 runs. You just can't beat a 12 minute Alkaiser run for efficiency as Archon.

Maybe should give Thunderstorm another try, but my concern has always been reflect packs. It seems most of you have similar unbuffed mitigation as mine, just how well do you handle reflect packs with storm armor?

Hybrid cm/freeze for me. Living Lightning keeps my DS and Frost Nova up 90% of the fight.

Strongly agree with the point that your storm armor should be able to one shot a regular trash mob to be optimally efficient, although I didn't notice a significant difference when I used Thunderstorm or Scramble.

To be optimally efficient you want Storm Armor to pick off mobs PLUS Scramble as well. Like you said it works on flamethrowers - does wonders for your Tower/Core/Crater levels doing Act 3 runs. You just can't beat a 12 minute Alkaiser run for efficiency as Archon.

Maybe should give Thunderstorm another try, but my concern has always been reflect packs. It seems most of you have similar unbuffed mitigation as mine, just how well do you handle reflect packs with storm armor?

Hybrid cm/freeze for me. Living Lightning keeps my DS and Frost Nova up 90% of the fight.

Yeah I used to get burned here and there and found that useful but just need a bit of luck in timing:P Maybe ideally you want to leave a few skeleton archers behind so they shoot at you and then one-shotted by the lightning?

Hybrid Archon/CM would be my goal one day when I get trifecta in every slot... But the current 42% cc 1.88APS is not enough for me to run CM spec efficiently off archon mode. On the other hand, if I gear towards CM spec to get to 50% cc 2.43 APS my dps will be abysmal due to lack of crit dmg...

Yeah I used to get burned here and there and found that useful but just need a bit of luck in timing:P Maybe ideally you want to leave a few skeleton archers behind so they shoot at you and then one-shotted by the lightning?

Hybrid Archon/CM would be my goal one day when I get trifecta in every slot... But the current 42% cc 1.88APS is not enough for me to run CM spec efficiently off archon mode. On the other hand, if I gear towards CM spec to get to 50% cc 2.43 APS my dps will be abysmal due to lack of crit dmg...

It's not the same thing, by CM/hybrid I just mean I am using CM/Evo and Frost Nova with cold snap, Living Lightning procs CM like crazy and with reduced cooldowns you can facetank with DS up. The requirements are way lower because you aren't relying on it, its just what youre using when out of Archon and it does the job.
Some tips on how to deal with Reflect packs as Archon:

- LS weapon, per requirement.
- or add LS from Magic Weapon.
- Add resistance, reflect is physical.
- try not to laserbeam the whole pack at sametime, use a bit of kiting, slower kill is better than dying.
- drag mobs to large pack of white trash, where you can refill yourself off the trash.
- always leave globes on ground when you're full health, so you can backtrack to them in time of need.
I've been anti hybrid-cm-archon since day one, and i'm still not convinced.

You waste dps slots trying to do job of CM, trying to get BACK to archon, when you shouldnt even be out of archon in the first place.

You end up somewhere between in between, a weak archon and a weak cm.

Jack of all trade? Master of NONE.

It's not the same thing, by CM/hybrid I just mean I am using CM/Evo and Frost Nova with cold snap, Living Lightning procs CM like crazy and with reduced cooldowns you can facetank with DS up. The requirements are way lower because you aren't relying on it, its just what youre using when out of Archon and it does the job.

I think we are talking about the same thing. I used to have Mistal Breeze/Deep Cuts/Living Lightning coupled with Crystal Shell as my regular spells off archon mode but that's far from enough to keep perma-skin. Frost Nova doesn't help with Elec/Reflect and you will miss one buff slot for archon.

Some tips on how to deal with Reflect packs as Archon:

- LS weapon, per requirement.
- or add LS from Magic Weapon.
- Add resistance, reflect is physical.
- try not to laserbeam the whole pack at sametime, use a bit of kiting, slower kill is better than dying.
- drag mobs to large pack of white trash, where you can refill yourself off the trash.
- always leave globes on ground when you're full health, so you can backtrack to them in time of need.

Yeah that's pretty much everything I'm practicing now. I just feel a dip in efficiency once I face a reflect pack. Don't know if the efficiency gain elsewhere with storm armor will make it up.
I've been anti hybrid-cm-archon since day one, and i'm still not convinced.

You waste dps slots trying to do job of CM, trying to get BACK to archon, when you shouldnt even be out of archon in the first place.

You end up somewhere between in between, a weak archon and a weak cm.

Jack of all trade? Master of NONE.

I don't think the two sets of skills really contradict each other, if we can fight efficiently off archon mode with only two regular spells. I think it would be feasible with high end gears (reads: trifecta). I used to put archon as my last free slot in my SC/CM build to deal with trash and use full-blown SC/CM spell set for elites and that was pretty optimal at the end of 1.0.4.
I do 40-50mil xp/hour with 120k dps hybrid Archon/living lighting/cm freeze.

It is efficient, with teleport and scramble I do Alkaiser MP1 runs in just over 10 minutes.

For the few moments my Archon isn't up, I'm using a permafreeze with living lightning that allows me to take 0 damage from reflect packs. If there is still cooldown on Archon, it refreshes it quickly.

You guys should at least try it before dismissing it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]