Diablo® III

The Definitive Sustained-Archon Guide

archon build here. can't find the right , lemme say comfortable mp or build to run here.

currently doing mp5 and running on 200k dps. but I die a lot on RD. it's frustrating.

and is it just me or blizzard did a ninja nerf on the drops? I tell you, the first week after the patch, legendaries were raining like crazy and now, I rarely get one per run which is mostly trash anyway.

1. You need LS. This is not negotiable.
2. More mf= more gg drops. Not higher mp. (unless you are max mf already)
3. You'll need about 400k dps to run run mp5 efficiently (scramble + teleport)
Just got into archon mode last night, kinda tired of mashing my keyboards. Any good advice on gears and also skills so that i can run MP3 - 5 comfortably...thx in advance
Thanks elinamator for a great archon guide, very comprehensive.

I noticed your suggested run is basically all of Act 3. Have you compared this to 10-15min alkaiser runs in terms of XP/hour?

For lower MP (MP5 or below), I did fine without LS, I went with LAK. You do need 2k Plus though. I do have a 1355DPS LS skorn for higher MP.

200k DPS is fast for MP4, MP5 gets slow for the elite. I do not think Galvanized or regen even do anything at higher MP now. The author of the thread is below 100k unbuffed, you can't do Archon build with that in MP games. You can see he have switched to CM/WW build already.

I also do not agree that you forgo wind build like the author suggested. Having twister highly boost the frequency of staying in Archon. MB in twister is by far the best skill I know to reduce cool down time. No matter how fast you kill, at higher MP you just can't pop elites like before.

@skyQuake, nice gears!
Thanks elinamator for a great archon guide, very comprehensive.

I noticed your suggested run is basically all of Act 3. Have you compared this to 10-15min alkaiser runs in terms of XP/hour?

you're right, i've found that my run was not optimal by doing most areas, and neither is a 10 minute run. i'm in the process of gathering data to see which route is best. stay tuned!

For lower MP (MP5 or below), I did fine without LS, I went with LAK. You do need 2k Plus though. I do have a 1355DPS LS skorn for higher MP.

200k DPS is fast for MP4, MP5 gets slow for the elite. I do not think Galvanized or regen even do anything at higher MP now. The author of the thread is below 100k unbuffed, you can't do Archon build with that in MP games. You can see he have switched to CM/WW build already.

I also do not agree that you forgo wind build like the author suggested. Having twister highly boost the frequency of staying in Archon. MB in twister is by far the best skill I know to reduce cool down time. No matter how fast you kill, at higher MP you just can't pop elites like before.

@skyQuake, nice gears!

there's so much misinformation here it's not funny.
most of the points brought up were alrdy addressed, if only the author bothered to read...
tl;dr - troll post begets troll response

@skyQuake, nice gears!

Haha I may jump in to make a serious response. Even in MP2, a reflect rare with 4M HP will reflect 400K damage to you. Suppose you have 90% mitigation (5K armor 900 AR), that's still 40K real damage to you. Four minions with 1M HP each will also reflect 40K real damage. To counter that 80K damage with 40K HP pool asks for 40K life regen before you kill yourself. With 2K LAK you need to find 20 trash mobs for that pack without taking any additional damage. Good luck!
eLINminator:

Excellent tips... THANKS! I've been doing Archon runs for a while now, but with the suggestions here I've made some very minor tweaks and just finished a run in 20-25 on A3 during which I got a Mempo, Set Amulet (Duncraig Cross), and Brown Vodoo Mask. My optionals are Spectral Blade/Healing Blades along with Disintegrate/Chaos Nexus. Big switch was to go from Energy Armor to Storm/Thunder... definitely helped with efficiency. The icing for me will be to add in a LS weapon, though with my current build it works just fine (Blood Weapon/Healing Blades).

Just started on MP1... can probaby push to MP3 but enjoyed MP1 so much because it was such a breeze and very profitable. Stopped for 63s and Leg/Set items only.

Heed the advice... go where you kick a$$ easily... you will whip through content so fast... your progress/over time is best served where you die little, if at all, and remain in Archon as long as possible.
The best i have found for ultra fast archon refreshing is ww/df with most of my cm gear, so hitting a cc and ias breakpoints( like 45-50%cc and either 2.51 or 2.74 aps), but this is at a cost of dps at my income level, yeah no trifectas.

Im doing some testing with it as this style has some benefits, but i need to really test efficency.

Could anyone tell me what the standard alkaizer run wp are and what should be some efficent clear times at around mp 3?

ps: yeah the best part of this style is that u can actually use archon on multiplayer, as long as there are no other archons or very hight dps toons that melt the trash before ur twisters get a chance to proc enough cm to refresh.
MP2-3 are comfortable to me. RD MP3 gives me no trouble at all.

I'm completely new to the speed runs and that's why my Archon falls off, I've messed up where I'm going.

I just rolled from my WD to the Wiz yesterday, had lots of overlapping gear. Spent about 40M on weapon, helm, OH, Inna's pants to hit the Archon requirements.

I really like scramble and force weapon.

I'm not sold on having teleport at all. I also don't know if Forked lightning is the best for me to be using as a primary, but I guess the idea is to not have archon down often at all.

Any advice pertaining to me would be helpful, since I'm new at this.

Also great thread!
I prefer Improved archon and Diamond skin over Teleport. Forked lightning is the best damage for no ap cost, but you can also try using this combo if you're on sufficiently low MP: Disintegrate - chaos nexus, Diamond skin - prism, and Storm armor - power of the storm. Alternatively, drop Familiar for a damaging spell.
Edited by Shelendil#1520 on 11/6/2012 1:21 PM PST
Any advice for my archon? Like what should my next upgrade be?
11/06/2012 01:21 PMPosted by choppies
Any advice for my archon? Like what should my next upgrade be?

Zuni boots + ring - 130 int set bonus + AR
Better Triumvirate - relatively cheap
Inna pants + rare bracers - a lot of crit
Weapon - life steal
Thank you.
[quote]
Haha I may jump in to make a serious response. Even in MP2, a reflect rare with 4M HP will reflect 400K damage to you. Suppose you have 90% mitigation (5K armor 900 AR), that's still 40K real damage to you. Four minions with 1M HP each will also reflect 40K real damage. To counter that 80K damage with 40K HP pool asks for 40K life regen before you kill yourself. With 2K LAK you need to find 20 trash mobs for that pack without taking any additional damage. Good luck!

Reflect is annoying and even with LS at 3% you still cannot mitigate it all if you run into a elite pack. I have a LS weapon that I do put on for reflect mobs, but LAK will do just fine for everything except reflect mobs. I did around 10 runs of key run at MP5-MP7 yesterday, and got couple nice legend 95% of the time I used the LAK weapon.
Does higher MP gives you better drop rates for green or brown items? Gave up the key run and been doing full act3 run on low MP usually 1-3, since Sunday till today, not a single legend drop and all my mates getting greens and browns...
Worse in terms of mf, and number of items drops from trash, but far better in terms of speed
11/06/2012 07:04 PMPosted by LuvFoxy
Does higher MP gives you better drop rates for green or brown items? Gave up the key run and been doing full act3 run on low MP usually 1-3, since Sunday till today, not a single legend drop and all my mates getting greens and browns...

Id recommend MP0+Act 3 with max magic find. You will get a legendary drop every 15-20 minutes.
PLease give me advice on my gear. Thx a mil. I'm realy stuck to up dps numbers with only 40 mil left.
11/06/2012 09:19 PMPosted by bigjohn
PLease give me advice on my gear. Thx a mil. I'm realy stuck to up dps numbers with only 40 mil left.

Hmmm tricky. I think a cheap dps upgrade for you would be a new Triumvirate. Get one with like 90-380 damage, will only cost you like 4-5 mil
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]