Diablo® III

Going to Borderlands 2

Let me start by stating that this is not a D3 trash post. This post is just my opinion on why other games are drawing me away from D3. I'm a casual gamer so I don't have a lot of time to spend at any one time playing, and I really don't like playing more than one at a time because of it. I don't think D3 is dead, an epic failure, or any other negative thing we've all seen about it. My problem is that it has become boring and frustrating. Either one of those things could be overcome, but both at the same time takes the enjoyment out of the game.

Since Borderlands 2 came out today it will be a while before I play D3. BL2 is an FPS, so it's not the same genre as D3, but the basics of the game are the same, i.e., do quests, find loot, make money, get better gear, do more damage.

The game has several advantages over D3 as far as gameplay.
1. No need to ID drops
2. Complex builds mean no cookie cutter characters
3. Can go between acts (worlds) in a single game
4. Can create custom game
5. Multiple active quests

D3 has these advantages over BL2
1. Stash is account wide
2. Loot drops for individual players (no fighting over it!)
3. Paragon levels

The reason why I find BL/BL2 more enjoyable than D3 is because it's more rewarding. No one expects every drop to be the ultimate drop, but, while there are plenty of garbage drops in BL, the amount of good drops is more numerous. In D3, you can farm an entire act and realistically not get a decent drop. That concept makes the game for me - give me something exciting for all the hours I've spent playing. It doesn't have to be godly, but it should at least be comparable to what I'm currently using.

Another problem that leads me away from D3 is the wall I've reached at A3. A1 and A2 were hard, but they were hard enough to actually WANT to rip through them. The transition from A2 to A3 goes from hard to impossible. Inferno should be hard. That's the way the game is structured. It's not that it's hard, it's that that the difficulty curve is more like a difficulty right angle. There's a Catch-22 with A3 - you really can't start farming A3 unless you have the good gear that drops in A3. Well...initially you CAN farm it but you'll either 1) mooch off of other player's abilities or 2) die alot... I mean... really... alot.

The AH is an option. The idea of an AH looks good on paper, but in reality it has become an overpriced, necessary part of getting ahead in the game. Sure, you don't have to use the AH. But you will definitely reach that big frustration wall if you don't. The AH should be an option. It is really nothing more than a way to diminish the frustration without actually playing the game.

BL is hard, but there are so many things to go after at any one time, you don't have to hit that wall of frustration. I'll keep my D3 character, I'll log in every now and then to make sure he's kept alive, and I'm in no way saying that D3 is a bad game. It's given me a few months of good gameplay. But when there's another game available, the boredom/frustration level makes it easy to leave.

Maybe the developers will understand that we play games for enjoyment, not frustration. I started playing D2 on the day it was released and it had lots of problems when it was first released. But it got better, especially with LoD. I suspect D3 will eventually get better, but Blizzard should recognize that they won't get back the number of people they'll lose while waiting for the game to get better. Couple that with the natural loss of players as the game ages. They are now in direct competition with new ways to keep us entertained.
Reply Quote
D3 has these advantages over BL2 (...) 3. Paragon levels

You heard about Badass lvls maybe?
Reply Quote
Why do you feel the need to even make a post about your "opinions" on why you are trying out a game? Do you feel better that you felt you needed to write your feelings out? Do you feel this gives you closure with D3? I don't get it.
Edited by duckmanneo#1736 on 9/18/2012 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 12:19 PMPosted by duckmanneo
Why do you feel the need to even make a post about your "opinions"

fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/ noun: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

If you've nothing useful to say, then please take your overprivileged, inflated sense of self-worth elsewhere.
Reply Quote
I don't get it.

That's true.
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 12:24 PMPosted by Lunarnomadd
fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/ noun: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

EPIC~!

Should cut and paste this to all the repeat idiots.
Reply Quote
View profile
Got a free copy with a recent graphics card purchase and will give it a shot considering the price was just right. I am a little concerned about how much it resembles Hellgate though.
Reply Quote
View profile
09/18/2012 12:28 PMPosted by PantlessKrab
Got a free copy with a recent graphics card purchase and will give it a shot considering the price was just right. I am a little concerned about how much it resembles Hellgate though.

Borderlands was nothing like HG and I think you'll enjoy it as an FPS.
Reply Quote
BL2 is a completely different game from D3... Why are we comparing them?
Reply Quote
I'm all for someone typing out their opinions on a game. I just don't understand why he made that post. It's like he wrote that post in order to make him more excited for playing a game over playing another game. I can get on my laptop and wonder which game I will play, but I'm not going to go on a forum and type out why I chose one game over another game. I didn't really think out that post above because I was also wondering why initially he was comparing those two games.

I didn't mean when I typed out "Why do you feel the need to even make a post about your "opinions"..." to end up angering some people. I apologize if I in the slightest bit ruined someones day/night/evening/breaktime?/time in restroom with phone...
Edited by duckmanneo#1736 on 9/18/2012 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
borderlands has a funny storyline with lots of humor
Reply Quote
Why do you feel the need to even make a post about your "opinions" on why you are trying out a game? Do you feel better that you felt you needed to write your feelings out? Do you feel this gives you closure with D3? I don't get it.

Why do you feel the need to even make a post about your "opinions" on why you are commenting on a post? Do you feel better that you felt you needed to write your feelings out? Do you feel this gives you closure with my post? I don't get it.
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Krada

I guess you missed the second paragraph....

I'll repost the part to which you're referring. Since you missed/ignored it, I'm not sure if you'll be able to scroll up with efficiency....

"BL2 is an FPS, so it's not the same genre as D3, but the basics of the game are the same, i.e., do quests, find loot, make money, get better gear, do more damage."
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 01:35 PMPosted by DeadRu
lol another wall of drivel. Why would anyone even care that he is leaving much less why.

I care. You evidentally did, too, because you opened a thread titled: "Going to Borderlands 2."

09/18/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Krada

I am going to disagree with both you and the OP. I think BL2 is the same genre as D3. They are both ARPGs. BL2 is based on guns and future tech, D3 is based on fantasy. They are the same genre in the same way that WoW and Eve are the same genre.
Edited by Jeger#1583 on 9/18/2012 3:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]