Diablo® III

PVP - 'POUND OF FLESH'

Blues please take note.

I have some fun, exciting PVP ideas. PVP is coming and it can save this end-game.

First off, I just want to get players to focus on what PVP could become. Let's make Diablo 3 the best game of all time. And I'd bet a 'Pound of Flesh' that it can be. So, let's call it a wager shall we? A Wager Duel.

'Wager Duel?'
Pound of Flesh
Pink Slips
Paragon chank?
Training Duels
Bottom ****
The 1 Health Globe moment
Enrage Timer Arenas
PVP spectating - accessable from chat rooms
PVP spectators can wage gold on duels (concept by mogeybear)

With a new Duel sytem in place, Players could choose to duel normally or choose to 'Wager Duel;' staking Gold, items, 'Pink Slips', **Paragon XP or a 'Pound of Flesh' for the winner of the duel. An Obvious option for HC duelers ... would result in the winner getting ALL, like drag racing for a Pink Slip. But, the 'Pound of Flesh' concept could be an alternative for Soft Core (or HC)players that want something to stake besides in-game material possessions.

"In wager duels, there's more on the line than just your pride."

There are several ways to do this:

When in the PVP interface ... there will be choices; i.e. boxes to check off in wager duels.

- First off - choose between wager duel or regular duels ( ***new Training Duels)
- Then, for those who select 'wager duel', Choose whether you want to wager gold (any amount is acceptable), items, **Paragon XP Chanks or a 'Pound of Flesh.'

A. Gold would be the easiest match ... Player/dueler enters the gold amount to stake and waits, in menus or game if he likes, for a notification that a challenger awaits.

B. Item based waged duels might take more time for a match ... but, could offer the possibility of making the duel more interesting or fun. When a Wager Dueler chooses to wager an item. The game selects matches(opponents - other players looking for a wager duel) for him based first upon dueling class guide lines(which in turn is based upon a Dueler's record and stats), then offers those possible candidates the option to wager duel. If a candidate agrees to your terms, he offer's up an item or matches your gold wage.

(*In Wager Duels, a player with an item waged can suggest a gold amount he's willing to accept in exchange for his item upon win.)

-If the candidate offers an item ... the dueler he is to face is notified that his challenge has been accepted and, in a separate pop up window, show's the item the candidate or challenger offers in return.

B.2. An additional option for Non-HC players would be pink slip dueling; like HC Wager Duels, all the items would go to the winner. (I imagine only HC players would ever really opt for this. But, all challengers will get a moment to review and inspect the person they're slated to duel ; taking note their gear.)

C.2 Or another, less painful, way to go would be random wager duels ... where one piece of the gear you're wearing will randomly go to the winner. It still stings. You'll have to walk off with yoru tail between your legs and farm for that new item to replace the old one.

D. 'Pound of Flesh' concept offers up a percentage of a players Stats and Life for a temporary time. The Dueler wages, for example, 10% to 25% (in this instance we'll say 25%) of his stats and life to his challenger. When he dies, he may continue to play but, for the next 30 minutes, he's without 25% of his Vit, Str, Int and Dex. The winner takes it from him. How would you like your Barbarian to have 25% of another player's total hit points, Strength, Intel and Dex for 30 minutes? HC players will enjoy this because they will have an option to duel to a point just before death ... Almost as if there's a ref there shouting 'Enough!" - one oponent lying on the floor bleeding, the other raises his sword in victory!

(Thunder overhead and a bolt of lighting strikes the raised arm of the winner.)

"I feel more powerful!"

(2 guards with a gerny rush to pick up the defeated and rush back out of the arena)

D.2. 'Pound of Flesh' stacks. Keep dueling and you're dueler becomes godlike. (win 3 duels in a row? You might need the full 30 minutes to find an apponent your equal.

D.2.A - You've won! Victorious for 3 "Pound of Flesh" duels in a row. Now your character is stacked and there's no one to match you. There's a reward here: Don't wait around ... You can use your stacked attributes to farm MP10 for 30 minutes.

-Softcore and HC players alike can duel for a 'Pound of Flesh' but only HC players have the option to 'Duel to the Death'

The cool thing about this?

1. It takes us back to Diablo 1; which makes me smile.
2. People don't have to wager duel; it's an option.
3. When you slay your oponent, You can become more powerful or items and gold pop out! Just like when you slay a monster! Instant rewards.

If a player's skill has them explode upon death and that explosion takes out their opponent, the first player down loses but, neither player gains the Pound of Flesh bonus.

*In Wager Duels at some point, the PVP interface can offer an options to search for a specific piece of gear being offered as a wager. So, that, like a carrot before the horse, a dueler can entice people to take his challenge.

This can work for many reasons - Let's say you're an old school Diablo 2 PVP Player Killer and you just want ears (so to speak) and you've got a bad bad set up and you're record shows it. What if it's getting hard to find that challenger anymore? But, you're offering up the godly item. (It could be a 1500 DPS 1 handed weapon with 100% Crit damage, an open socket and Increased Attack Speed.) People are going to find you and try! Challengers are going to dial your number. Because, now you're not just the guy who's going to tarnish their record or put them in the grave ... Your also the dueler with the keys to the kingdom.

-no more waiting around in duel games hoping a worthy challenger will stop by.

You set up your PVP Wager Duel paramaters and go on farming until someone rings your door bell ... a window pops up showing the challenger, his record, possibly an inspection of his gear and his gold or item offering. Check off the box and you're ported to the PVP arena.Please get my idea heard by Blizzard.

Lastly, to ANYONE this resonates with, if you think this could be interesting; if you like this idea please give it a thumbs up or a sticky. That's the only way for Bliz staff to see these thoughts.

**EDIT: ztKing and Dax offered up some great ideas and I'd really like to add them in as additional options Chrisloup suggests that the Paragon XP come in the form of a potion (stackable in the inventory) for players that are already Paragon 100.

E: Wagering Paragon Experience by Chanks or Blocks of Paragon XP could be a great option for duelers. Especially if Paragon lvl 100 players could stack them in their inventory and use them at NPCs for account bound items.

***Nov 13th Edit - Training Duels Concept added. The ability o duel with a friend to work out a PVP strategy with victories and losses that go uncounted on your PVP Dueling record.

**** Nov 27th Edit - New PVP Arena Concepts:

1. The 1 health globe moment,
2. Enrage Timer Arenas
3. Spectater access from Chat rooms.
4. PVP spectators can wage gold on duels

1. as soon as one of the Duelers hit's 50% health 1 health globe appears equidistant from the combatants.

2. If a duel goes ovr 60 seconds, the PVP Arena goes into "Enrage". Mid evil Pendulum Axes, pits with flames and turets with spinning blades appear and the skys darken from above. You can hear the devil hiss.

3. Spectate the Destruction from the PVP Arena as a spectator from the chat room drop down menu. New hot keys: Bliz get's voice actors back in the studio to track new voice overs for spectators in the arena of death. From the number pad, each player has 9 new phrases to shout out over the crowd as players duel. "Kill him!", "Run you damn fool ... run!" "I say we should let him go -Pee Wee Herman", "Get out of there!", "He's a damn fool, that one" "rearange his face!" (my personal fav -LOL)

4. PVP spectators have 60 seconds to wager gold on High Paragon LVL combatants - PVP duels have rankings. Whenever two high Paragon LVL players (LVL 85 and over) enter an arena to duel. The duel is announced to the Chat room spectators and both players stats are posted for 60 seconds in order for peope to place there bets. (This original concept by mogeybear in his post) - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199401888page=1#5
Edited by AdAstrA#1590 on 11/27/2012 9:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
I would like ANNNNY PVP!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
Wager duel would be really fun, maybe even bring Diablo 3 to the top.

Therefore, you can be sure JW will never implement it ^^
Reply Quote
LOL
Reply Quote
thanks guys ... [;p

please put a thumbs up on this (I'm not exactly sure how things end up on the top of the list) but, give me a hand if you can

thanks in advance
Reply Quote
I like your ideas AdAstra - adds a novel twist to the PvP aspect of a game.

I believe though that Blizz are going for Arena 4v4 modes (if memory serves) and as such this idea would likely be dismissed, or if adapted implemented after the 4v4 mode. Personally I hope for more than this as 4v4 might become a gank fest - if you don't have 3 equally geared friends and you join a random match only to be pitted against a group of 4 battle-hardened mates you're in for a long ride of pain!

However, one can hope - I clicked Like non the less for your suggestion :)

Dax.
Reply Quote
Thank you Dax!
Reply Quote
... Would be fun to wager paragon xp :)
Reply Quote
09/20/2012 10:27 AMPosted by ztking
Would be fun to wager paragon xp :)

Why not!? Great idea!
Reply Quote
yea paragorn xp is a good idea, it could also avoid blizzard some problems (wagering real money, im guessing would cause them problems...)
Reply Quote
Waging paragon xp is an interesting idea but what would the winner do with it if they were already PL100 ? With that in mind it would be helpful if you could use the "winnings" to buy something else - perhaps trade chanks of Paragon XP for some other currency that you spend at a vendor ? (In a sense like honour points from WoW that you buy PvP gear with)
Reply Quote
Wager duel would be really fun, maybe even bring Diablo 3 to the top.

Therefore, you can be sure JW will never implement it ^^
Reply Quote
Save this for 1 year, as PVP isn't coming out until next year. Then, it might be a good idea.
Reply Quote
I like your PvP ideas, but to add to your suggestions I was thinking this would be a great opportunity for Blizzard to add a stat system to D3.

PvP needs to be balanced because there is such a large disparity between people with great gear and people with avg gear.

Why not throw out gear in PvP? Have everyone start out in PvP level 1, and with each win a person gains experience. A level up in PvP level will get you 5 stat points to distribute along with base increase in stats. This allows a ladder and a match making system that is easy to implement. PvP lvls can be broken out into tiers, for example a pvp lvl 50 will be in the 50-55 level bracket and only go up against people level 50 to 55.
Edited by KPS#1358 on 9/20/2012 10:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/20/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Floofy
yea paragorn xp is a good idea, it could also avoid blizzard some problems (wagering real money, im guessing would cause them problems...)

That's a good question. And, I wouldn't recommend that Bliz allow people to wager real money just to avoid the whole gambling law situtation.

09/20/2012 10:35 AMPosted by Dax
Waging paragon xp is an interesting idea but what would the winner do with it if they were already PL100 ? With that in mind it would be helpful if you could use the "winnings" to buy something else - perhaps trade chanks of Paragon XP for some other currency that you spend at a vendor ? (In a sense like honour points from WoW that you buy PvP gear with)

Another brilliant idea. Chanks of paragon XP would at a minimum become a non Auction House tradable commodity ... that way, if Bliz has a problem with 'gambling law' keeping them from doing gold and auction house items as an offer in a Wage Duel. They then have a 'new' item that's not yet being traded for real money to offer up as a wage in a duels.

Thank you guys.
Reply Quote
not sure about the pound of flesh duel, but some kind of wager is great!
You might like my suggestions thread too:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6079613197
Reply Quote
I like your PvP ideas, but to add to your suggestions I was thinking this would be a great opportunity for Blizzard to add a stat system to D3. PvP needs to be balanced because there is such a large disparity between people with great gear and people with avg gear. Why not throw out gear in PvP? Have everyone start out in PvP level 1, and with each win a person gains experience. A level up in PvP level will get you 5 stat points to distribute along with base increase in stats. This allows a ladder and a match making system that is easy to implement. PvP lvls can be broken out into tiers, for example a pvp lvl 50 will be in the 50-55 level bracket and only go up against people level 50 to 55.

I understand where you're going with this ... PVP is a serious gear check and your'e right; if you're challenger out-gears you, he usually will defeat you. But, asking all players to start naked and start figting for pvp specific gear would leave almost nothing left over from the character you've been busy building.

I know I'm not the only one that's putting away specific gear(non MF gear) for upcoming duels.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]