Diablo® III

Black Mesa!

View profile
So, what's everyone's thoughts on the game so far? I've only played up to the second stage, but thus far it's a very well-done recreation of Half-Life, and the graphics are fantastic! Plus some of the commentary from the scientists and guards has been hilarious.
Reply Quote
I'm about halfway through Office Complex, and am loving it so far.

Is some of the NPC dialogue new? A lot of what I've heard so far was definitely in the original. I thought they'd just used the old sound files.
Reply Quote
View profile
Totally. There were no female NPCs in the original (well, aside from the hazard course hologram), so all their lines are new. They also re-recorded the original dialogue, retconned it in a few places (e.g. the encounter with Eli Vance and Isaac Kleiner) and added a lot of their own.

As for the gameplay, I'd go as far as to say it completely surpasses Half-Life 2: no stamina-powered flashlight, no long dialogue scenes between NPCs, no Alyx, no nerfed arsenal to accommodate gravity gun, no vehicle sections... What's not to love? My only gripe so far is that the Vortigaunts now speak like brain-damaged black men; I miss the high-pitched voice they had in HL1. Oh well...

That being said, Valve could learn a lesson or two from the Black Mesa team.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/16/2012 9:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Fantastic remake, I'm so glad Valve approved this. Playing through Half Life 1 again makes a part of me wish Valve would get their act together and get to making Half Life 3 already.
Reply Quote
View profile
Well, they still need to release Episode III first.
Reply Quote
Nah, they can safely bypass Episode 3 and go right into Half Life 3. Episode 2 ended at a place that could easily lead into a full fledged game. It's been way too long between episodes to make it episodic.
Reply Quote
View profile
Wouldn't this be one heck of an admittance of failure on Valve's behalf though?
Reply Quote
09/16/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Begaria
Fantastic remake, I'm so glad Valve approved this. Playing through Half Life 1 again makes a part of me wish Valve would get their act together and get to making Half Life 3 already.

Sent them a crowbar, got nothing in return. I'm soooo discouraged with the future of Half-Life...
But yes, Black Mesa is awesome! Thank gawd a company finally let someone do something with one of their games, besides shutting down creativity with C&D letters (so lame).

09/16/2012 06:08 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
Well, they still need to release Episode III first.

I believe Valve is going to make Episode 3 into Half-Life 3 instead. Yea, they totally dropped the ball on the episode thingy.

On a side-note, I really wish they never cancelled the SiN episodes. Or at least give us something for buying into the series and never getting the rest of the story. Fake & Ghey!
Reply Quote
View profile
Isn't it a bit sad that the best thing to ever come out of the Half-Life franchise these last years is a fan remake of the original game? I used to think Half-Life 2 was awesome, but the more I play it, the more I find myself cursing Valve for focusing on cheap physics puzzles, barely interactive unskippable cutscenes and annoying AI sidekicks over memorable gunplay and dynamic enemy AI.

As for SiN, they might as well make the original game available again: I wanted to give it a try the other day, only to find out that it's no longer on Steam.
Reply Quote
I forgot how annoying that triple headed claw monster that you have to burn to get past was. Even by using grenades to distract the creature, I still died several times if I moved too quickly. That part, I felt, always slowed the pacing of Half Life 1. Oh well, on to more goodness!
Reply Quote
View profile
Yeah, I found this part much harder in BM for some reason; the trick is to move around crouched.

Oh, and the added military ambush in Questionable Ethics is freaking impossible on Hard; I had to restart it on Normal to stand a chance against so many marines at once. Kinda frustrating, considering how I'm able to beat both HL1 and HL2 on Hard with no problem.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/18/2012 10:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just finished it, was definitely fun but I had a few issues. Good stuff first though: the experience was great, the challenges were awesome, and the scope/length were pretty damn good... and all free!

But I felt like the NPC's were all the same (I'm pretty sure they used the same model for every security-guard and scientist lol). Looking back, I kind of prefer what HL2 did where you get to follow a story more, and with known characters. I didn't get that same attachment here, because you're just whisked along from generic npc to npc.

I also had a few crashes, and the last part of the game lagged me to 5 fps. But overall, was very entertaining.

Edit: Oh and it also bugged me how accurate every enemy was... and how every hit you take blocks your vision... "Vortigaunt shoots you... blinded"... "marine shoots you... blinded".. etc.
Edited by Onetwo#1132 on 9/19/2012 12:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]