Diablo® III

10.8.2 Retina unplayable - SMC Reset fixed it

I have a Retina Macbook and updated to 10.8.2 today. Now when I launch Diablo 3 it is unplayable. Like down to 10 FPS.

Hopefully this is useful info:
Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

756 Gig Solid state HD

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
Edited by IcyChaos#1987 on 9/19/2012 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
how did you update, app store, or stand alone updaters?

after update, did you also get the EFI updates they also released to update firmware?

Have you made sure cpu isn't being used for spotlight indexing or time machine doing anyting post update? with an update this big it's possible either process can be eating your resources until complete.
I updated using the app store. I applied the firmware update-reboot, 10.8.2-reboot, then the iphoto update.
I just launched the app just to better diagnose whats going on, Im seeing the FPS go from 60 to 4 to 60 to 5 to 60 to 8 to 60 to 4 etc.
I tried window mode and fullscreen. I tried disabling all sound, then tried vsync, turning off anti aliasing etc. Just tried different settings but it never affected the outcome.

I have nothing open on the machine except for diablo, and before updating today it ran at 60 FPS all the time. I have yet to find anything that will slow down this fully specced out laptop.
Im curious if they changed the video driver in the latest update to cause this problem.

I copied the info properly this time from the diablo help pane:

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C54)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 21 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Reply Quote
Greetings. I am experiencing the same exact issue on my Retina MBP after upgrading to the official 10.8.2 release. I am a developer and had previously been running build 12C50 with no performance issues.

Like IcyChaos, I also ran the firmware, iPhoto and OS updates through the App Store. After discovering that Diablo 3 ran like a bloated goat (technical term) with the official release (12C54), I visited the Mac Support forums and a recommendation in other threads was to run the combo updater instead of the delta update. I have done this and alas, the issue persists.

I also disabled automatic graphics switching in the Energy Saver preference pane, to no effect.

I have the same model (CPU, Graphics, RAM) in my Retina MBP as IcyChaos.

Any suggestions for further troubleshooting are welcomed!
Reply Quote
I just ran a SMC reset and now Diablo 3 is running properly again.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
i wonder if something about that firmware update throws thngs out of calibration until you do an SMC reset.
I found that in Console I am receiving this logged event 20 times per second while Diablo 3 is open.

9/19/12 6:02:30.990 PM Diablo III[567]: AUHAL::AUIOProc: mono buffer too small (1024 > 512)

I wonder if Diablo 3 is defaulting to the Intel 4000 (512) chipset instead of the GT650 (1024)? I'll poke around in the Diablo 3 settings to see if I can confirm what is recognized. If anyone knows how to confirm this, or would like additional info, please let me know.
Reply Quote
i wonder if something about that firmware update throws thngs out of calibration until you do an SMC reset.

That would be my guess. Macallan why don't you try the SMC reset and see if that fixes it.

This is how on the Retina :

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Reply Quote
IcyChaos, great thinking! I had not considered an SMC reset, nor had I seen your suggestion before my post about the error in Console. Normal graphics performance has been restored on my Retina MBP after performing the SMC reset. You rock!
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks for the feedback about the update and resetting the SMC.
Reply Quote
Can confirm the SMC reset fixed the lag on my MBPr
Reply Quote
I had to reset the SMC again today just to make Diablo playable. There is definitely a problem with Retina 10.8.2 and D3
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
that seems unusual, are you sure the smc reset fixed it and not the reboot itself? are you using sleep mode at all? cause i assure you that's still very much broken in 10.8.2
I booted from shutdown this morning. Launched D3 immediately and it was unplayable. I then restarted just to try again, Launched D3 - unplayable. I then reset the SMC and launched D3 and it worked perfect again.
Reply Quote
I can confirm that a SMC reset fix the problem.
I rebooted multiple times without fixing the problem, but a SMC reset immediately fixed the issue.
Reply Quote
Unfortunately this fix only lasts until the Mac went to sleep for the next time... :-(
Reply Quote
I have retina macbook pro and I have exactly the same problem. After upgrading OS to 10.8.2 the fps went down to a single digit. This is not only for D3, I have the same problem with Dirt2 game.
Reply Quote
I'm facing the exact issue, haven't tried the SMC reset yet, so there's not permeant way to fix it? sounds like an apple patch thing.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I just performed the SMC reset and it seemed to fix the issue no problem.
Reply Quote
Just tried an SMC reset but it seems to turn straight back on when I press SHIFT+CTRL+OPTION and the power button? Also, performance issues with D3 still remain...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]