Diablo® III

10.8.2 Retina unplayable - SMC Reset fixed it

80 Night Elf Druid
The same thing was happening to me in WOW. Reset the SMC and now it works great!! Thank you all! Hopefully I don't have to reset it every time...
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Same issue here and the SMC reset fixed it.
Reply Quote
I'm having the same issue. Some previous posts said the SMC reset wasn't a permanent fix so I didn't try it, any latest confirm?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Same problem with base model Retina Macbook Pro after sleep. Have to reset SMC to fix it every time.
Reply Quote
Wanted to post about this here too. Was facing the problem with WoW (Forced to the comp to use the nvidia card with gfxCardStatus) and the gameplay was really sloppy. SMC reset fixed this for me - also on Windows for other games such as CS:GO and Borderlands.
Reply Quote
want to state that i'm still getting the same issue. smc fixes it, but i have to keep doing the smc reset over and over again. i'm not sure if it is related to the sleep issue specifically or not
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
This is something that is still being investigated and providing the information to Apple. You shouldn't have to reset the SMC that much.

Does the issue go away with just a simple restart of the Mac?
Edited by Machkhan on 1/29/2013 9:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have this issue too, seems to occur after sleep and i end up resetting the SMC every day after work.

Restarting the mac doesn't make a difference.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
restarting alone usually resolves the sleep issue. That is odd
Reply Quote
I want to add that I am having the same problem. I did an SMC reset last night and the game was playable again. Thanks to everyone on this thread for at least diagnosing and finding a workaround to the problem.

Hopefully Apple can get this fixed!
Reply Quote
there's a thread on the apple forums about this problem. it suggests installing the supplemental update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1600) and updating the nvidia cuda driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html).
i did both, but it did not fix the problem. after my mbp goes to sleep mode, framerate is borked and an smc is needed every time.
Reply Quote
I want to add that i had the performance problem occuring again. I havent played D3 in the last time but CS:GO.

Performance went down from 300 fps to round about 60.
A SMC reset also fixed that problem.

I am really looking forward that Apple will fix this sh**...

Also have a look at this thread I started at the apple forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4382269?start=0&tstart=0

Post something there and lets Apple show that this is something relevant they should fix ASAP.
Reply Quote
after updating the cuda driver from nvidia to version 5.0.37 the problem seems to have gone away. no more need to reset SMC after my retina mbp wakes from sleep...
Reply Quote
awesome, that SMC reset worked like a dream
Reply Quote
I just ran a reset, it took performance from 15fps to around 28fps. But it is still very sluggish and not very responsive.
Reply Quote
I had to reset the SMC today following the latest Apple 10.8.2 patch.
Reply Quote
I have the highest build to order Retina Macbook Pro. I am not noticing this SMS problem at all. I just posted this in another thread but thought that adding my 2 cents could maybe help with your problem since this is NOT happening to me. However, the fans became MUCH louder since the graphics improved. Anyone noticing this? Here's my original post:

So I updated to Mountain Lion this week not knowing about this announcement. I thought that Diablo was glitching or something because I was getting SIGNIFICANT graphic improvements. Like everything feels like 60 fps. Amazing! I almost can't play this fast lol. I know, I know... my burdon to bare. I'm running the highest pimped out Retina Display Macbook Pro 15 inch. If anyone is debating a M. Lion upgrade... Do it for this reason alone. It's a different game completely!

HOWEVER... Attention Blizzard!!!: The game makes the Macbook fans a billion times louder since I upgraded to M. Lion. Kind of had me worried to be honest. I turned down the graphic settings cause I haven't heard the Retina this loud before. It's like 700% louder. Before the update, I rarely noticed the fans. Now, it's all I hear. Should I be worried? I love the new graphics gameplay BUT it's not worth melting my $3,000+ Macbook for. Have you noticed this issue? Is there any way you could cool the game down on your end?
Reply Quote
SMC fix confirmed. I had the same issue (Retina MBP, updated to 10.8.2, and diablo3 and sc2 framerate dropped to around 15fps). Rebooting didn't help, nor did quitting apps, turning down graphics settings in the game, etc. Resetting the SMC has fixed it! Now I'm back to 60 (capped) fps.

Here's the info on resetting the SMC:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Thanks guys!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 (MacBookPro10,1), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006)

In my case, it's not my machine going to sleep that is the problem. It may be a contributing factor, but I can travel (unit sleeps in transit), and there are no issues at the destination... usually. If there is an issue, the SMC reset is only a temporary fix.
What I have noticed is that the problem is most common after I connect either of my external displays (at work or home) via the Thunderbolt/DVI adapter, and then disconnect them... I don't play on or with the externals attached. The next launch of WOW is almost certain to have low frame rates, and I have to perform the SMC reset to get frame rates back to acceptable levels. This seems more firmware than software related, otherwise the latest software from NVIDIA would have fixed it permanently for everyone who's tried it.

Note: If I'm having the low frame rate issue, it affects all games. Diablo III almost unplayable without resetting the SMC and WOW's frame rates are in the low teens if not less than 10.

If you are having this issue, report it to Apple in person at a store, if you're near one; via the phone, if you still have phone support (90 days on new machines, and 3 years if you sprung for AppleCare); and via the Feedback pages on Apple's website.

Edit: I have added a step to this regimen, which I haven't seen anywhere else on the forums, that has kept the problem away for almost a week now, even when switching from one display (at home), to another (at the office), with the machine sleeping in between. The added steps were removing some windowserver.plist files, and resetting SMC & Parameter RAM afterwards. this is supposed to be the fix for no video out to a projector or other device via TB to VGA adapter (which happened to me the other day).

Remove:
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist
~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.XXXXX.plist
Note: You'll need to hold down [option] while on the 'Go' menu to see the Library folder
Shutdown.
Reset SMC ([shift]+[control]+[option]+[power])
Reset PRAM by powering on the machine then holding down [command][option]+P+R through 3 startup chimes.

Hopefully this doesn't come back... but this combo has kept it away for quite a while now.
Edited by MaxDrago#1798 on 12/11/2012 8:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
Can confirm that nothing but SMC reset fixed slow frame rate issue after apple update. I tried repairing permissions and PRAM reset. nothing helped until SMC reset.

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 3 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]