Diablo® III

Torchlight II Dev Speaks about D3 (Reddit AMA

Quote - "D3, while I think its a tremendous accomplishment, there's a couple things they did that really hurt my personal ability to keep playing. The auction house, even the regular one, detracts from my own loot gathering. I hate seeing all the great stuff that's so easy to purchase and is so much better than what I can find on my own. The other big thing is the character customization. I really have no clue where this idea that what aarpgs need is fewer customization choices came from. I want to make a character that succeeds or fails based on my decisions. And after that I want to make another and then another that are totally different. I guess there a lot of people that don't want to carve their own way through these games, but for me it's critical."

Sad but true. You know it.

Question: I don't want to turn this into a !@#$-sling but I was really wondering what your thoughts on Diablo III are - both the positives and the negatives.

Runic Games(TorchLight Developing Company)
[–]runicgames[S] 82 points 2 hours ago
I'm happy to answer this. We know how hard it is to make games like this, so we have a lot of respect for Blizzard and the Diablo III team. Even if they made choices that are different than ours or those of some of their customers, you cannot make a game of that magnitude, polish, and quality without a dedicated and talented team. Of course their launch was not perfect (whose are?), but they seem to be working hard to address player issues, and I think those who are negative towards them should give them some time to make adjustments. We are happy to provide an alternative, though, too. The genre is big enough for a lot of approaches and styles. I personally am happy for Diablo III, Path of Exile, Borderlands 2, Grim Dawn, and the other ARPGs that are revitalizing the genre. And we are all at least a little bit in debt to Blizzard and the D3 team for bringing literally millions of new gamers into our genre.

Making games is physically and emotionally exhausting. It's distressing to see the level of criticism people engage in when they aren't 100% satisfied, and while they certainly have a right to their opinions (we all have 'em), at the same time we should have an authentic respect for those who spend years of their lives pouring their talents into these games. Runic Games respects and admires Blizzard for all they have done for our industry.

-Max Schaefer
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diablo 3 Would've answered "Fuk that Loser" for the very same qusetion about TL2 ?
Haha

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/105md1/we_are_the_runic_games_dev_team_creators_of/
Edited by Skyzzang#1350 on 9/19/2012 5:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You know, I was thinking about this the other day. The AH/RMAH could be the reason why most of us feel like we never get good upgrades. Because those of us who constantly farm A3+ already purchased the best available gear.

If the AH/RMAH was never in the game, I think most of us may be finding upgrades left and right. Not to mention that not even half of the people who've cleared inferno would have been able to do so as soon as they did.

Why did blizzard fail to see this?
Reply Quote
I'm going to "assume"

3 major servers Asia/Europe/US. 10millions sales I'm gonna divide them equally which is about 3.3mil per region.

With 3.3mil players farming and selling OBVIOUSLY the AH loots will be better than "ONE" player farming?

Please grow some common sense.
Edited by Fireblade#1295 on 9/19/2012 5:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Waits for Jay Wilson to tell him to !@#$ himself~
Reply Quote
well said. Not exactly liking the D2's way of trading (aka sitting in trade channel for days hoping to find a deal) but AH does gives too much convenient in a loot finding game.
Reply Quote
09/19/2012 04:58 PMPosted by bulletbutter
You know, I was thinking about this the other day. The AH/RMAH could be the reason why most of us feel like we never get good upgrades.

it IS the reason.

the GAH and RMAH are the reason Diablo 3 is bad, end of story. it ruined the game.

everyone can find gear not useful for them sell it get gold and buy the exact gear they want on the AH in a relative hurry. get geared fast, suddenly you never ever see upgrades drop. it IS the problem.
Reply Quote
I love how easy D1 "was" and now D3 . . . absolutely love the "watered down" version of D2.

Bleh :)
Reply Quote
With 3.3mil players farming and sell OBVIOUSLY the AH loots will be better than "ONE" player farming.

Did someone dispute that claim? Please "grow" some reading comprehension.
Reply Quote
Making games is physically and emotionally exhausting. It's distressing to see the level of criticism people engage in when they aren't 100% satisfied, and while they certainly have a right to their opinions (we all have 'em), at the same time we should have an authentic respect for those who spend years of their lives pouring their talents into these games.

Now... Jay Wilson... This is what you call respect and class. Not "Fuk that Loser"

put two and two together turbo.

jay wilson had a momentary breakdown and acted unprofessionally after he and his team got ripped apart and basically told they are completely unqualified and failed because of it.

after pouring your heart and soul into something and then having someone say you AND your team are unqualified failures you might act human and say something unprofessional too. grow up and let it go.

easy to talk professionally in the situation this guy is in, hundreds of thousands arent ripping his game and telling him to kill himself yet.

i hate what happened with diablo 3 but use your brain.
Reply Quote
09/19/2012 05:05 PMPosted by FrozenMildew
Making games is physically and emotionally exhausting. It's distressing to see the level of criticism people engage in when they aren't 100% satisfied, and while they certainly have a right to their opinions (we all have 'em), at the same time we should have an authentic respect for those who spend years of their lives pouring their talents into these games.

Now... Jay Wilson... This is what you call respect and class. Not "Fuk that Loser"

put two and two together turbo.

jay wilson had a momentary breakdown and acted unprofessionally after he and his team got ripped apart and basically told they are completely unqualified and failed because of it.

after pouring your heart and soul into something and then having someone say you AND your team are unqualified failures you might act human and say something unprofessional too. grow up and let it go.

easy to talk professionally in the situation this guy is in, hundreds of thousands arent ripping his game and telling him to kill himself yet.

i hate what happened with diablo 3 but use your brain.

I think Jay Wilson already said "Fuk that loser" about 100000 times to people on forum making complaints. so for him, it was easy to come out.
You can tell the stubborn side of Jay Wilson, when he reacts by saying "fuk that loser". This is something highschool student would say, not a grown up in a leading game developer company as a senior developer infront of millions of people and hundres of people who worked in d3. Also I think the only thing TL2 develpers said is " we would have made different decisions than they did" so.... not sure what the fuss was about, jay wilson is very angry and grumpy lately, not anyones fault but himself and the decisions he made.
Reply Quote
some random dev answer:
I don't believe the D3 team has failed or butchered anything. They made an awesome game that I enjoyed a lot. These games are incredibly hard to make. I see a lot of passion in what they did.

In your faces haters...
Reply Quote
I'm going to "assume"

3 major servers Asia/Europe/US. 10millions sales I'm gonna divide them equally which is about 3.3mil per region.

With 3.3mil players farming and selling OBVIOUSLY the AH loots will be better than "ONE" player farming?

Noone forces you to use the AH
Reply Quote
We have shockingly few long term plans in place for Torchlight 2, I'm afraid. Too busy just finishing it up. In the short term we will be adding some wishlist stuff that didn't get done, and addressing any emergencies that crop up. Many of us have cool ideas. But we just haven't put a ton of thought into it as a group yet.

-Erich Schaefer

They also hinted that there won't be much additional content provided, because modding should take care of it. You know, if Blizzard pulled something like this, you'd be all over their nuts about how lazy it is.

This is why TL2 won't be as popular in the long term. Community modding is a cool thing, sure, but with a game like TL2 leaving the long term to modders is a poor way to do it. It works with games like Skyrim and Fallout, because they are closed system single player games.

This is disregarding the fact that playing online TL2 with mods is troublesome. Everyone MUST have the exact same mod(s), and version(s) as you. After several months, and version updates with both the game and mods, you guys will see how much of a mess this is.
Reply Quote
"D3, while I think its a tremendous accomplishment, there's a couple things they did that really hurt my personal ability to keep playing. The auction house, even the regular one, detracts from my own loot gathering. I hate seeing all the great stuff that's so easy to purchase and is so much better than what I can find on my own. The other big thing is the character customization. I really have no clue where this idea that what aarpgs need is fewer customization choices came from. I want to make a character that succeeds or fails based on my decisions. And after that I want to make another and then another that are totally different. I guess there a lot of people that don't want to carve their own way through these games, but for me it's critical."

• Erich Shaefer DROPS THE HAMMER
  • Reply Quote
    90 Human Death Knight

Making games is physically and emotionally exhausting. It's distressing to see the level of criticism people engage in when they aren't 100% satisfied, and while they certainly have a right to their opinions (we all have 'em), at the same time we should have an authentic respect for those who spend years of their lives pouring their talents into these games. Runic Games respects and admires Blizzard for all they have done for our industry.

-Max Schaefer

i could respect that IF blizzard had not blatantly ignored the basics of the goals of an RPG.

1. obtaining loot to customize your character in the specialization that u prefer, i.e. for barbs and monks, tank or dps. for wizards, wd and dh's, whatever spell specialization they want to use, frost, fire, pet spec, whatever. but no, if u go the route of the traditional game by farming loot without the ah, sure u'll find loot, but u will only be able to gear based on what u can get and not what u need to achieve the optimum stats for ur spec.

2. rushed-thru content. o i can feel it, acts 1 & 2 are longer and have a storyline for the most part. not only do u have quite a bit of content to cover, but u also can see the story. then, u hit act3 &4. act3 theres a storyline, but its pretty much a zerg fest to azmodan. no depth in the story at all. u light some fires and raise some catapults, kill more trash and then kill az. then when u get to az, he's pretty much faceroll yet he's suppose to be the general of all these demon armies. and then act 4 is jus zerg zerg zerg thru boss and trash to diablo. i can definately feel the rush to get it done in acts 3 & 4. i noticed it thru my very first run in normal mode. i said to myself, that's it? there is a HUGE difference in the way mobs hit u in acts 3 & 4, initially they could 1 shot u pre-inferno nerf, and keep going like u never existed. its like someone said ok, we dont have the time or we dont have much of a story here, so lets jus make the mobs harder. making mobs have the possibility of 1-shotting u to make up for lack of content. that is what i felt in acts 3 & 4.

3. mass performance issues with lag, stuttering, rubberbanding, frame drops, and whatever else the tech support forum is inundated with. these should have been worked out from the starting gate above anything else. the performance issues are hardware related which blizzard acknowledged from day 1 which are still not resolved.

dont want to make this post any longer than it is, but i think u see my point. blizzard is suppose to be one of the cream of the crop in games, i dont buy that "these games are hard and emotionally exhausting crap". i respect the developers for their talent and i believe these games are really hard to make HOWEVER the bad loot drops, lack of content in the later acts, and mass performance problems seems to come from someone half-a$$ing it to make a quick buck and then have millions of people pay $60 for it across the globe. THAT is why we are so critical and imho rightfully so.

i would have rather blizzard took an additional 1-2 years to fix these problems first before releasing D3. some things such as the stuttering, was reported in beta, yet the game was released anyway. i mean come on, we waited more than a decade, we could have waited a few more years for u to get it right rather than risk your reputation and sell us what scores of people have called a ripp-off.
    Edited by Gör#1270 on 9/19/2012 6:40 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]