Diablo® III

After two weeks playing GW2, my thoughts.

I am only 2 weeks into this game and so far I find myself not wanting to play it as much as I would in games like Everquest, Ultima Online, Skyrim and Diablo. I remember the days back when I was playing Everquest 1&2, everyday I was so eager to get off work as early as possible so that I could rush home to play them. GW2 does not make me want to do that.

1) The graphics
It is very cartoonish and everything looks so colorful and bright. All characters look like some out of proportion Japanese animated prince and princess. Arts is very subjective and everything come down to matter of personal taste. So it is neither good nor bad. I just need some time getting use to it.

2) The controls
I spent the first 10 days in this game trying to figure out the best key binds for moving around and combating. Since combats are usually fast, everything can come and go in split seconds, I can no longer do it the old ways by clicking icons on the screen with the cursor. For a fast action MMO, it could be a real challenge for me since there are just way too many keys I need to worry about. It can be quite frustrating at time and I find this part of the game... not fun at all.

3) Combats
10 days into the game, playing about 2 hours per day, I am now OK with my key bindings and I can fnally put that aside and start to actually enjoy the game. Combat in general is quite easy. For any monsters close to your level, you can just stand still face tank with auto attack and win. For anything higher than your level or an event mini boss, you just die. However, there are still ways to defeat them. If it is a one on one battle, I can just auto attack while running around the monster circling very close to his body and win. This method works like 100% of every battle with a red named monster. But the first 30-50 battles were like: cool~~~ after doing it the exact same way for a 100 times... things start to get a little... hmmm...

4) Rewards
I can not get anything that I can use for the first 12 levels. Every pieces of armor and weapon I got form mob kills are not useable by my class. When it takes a bit too long to take down mobs and things are getting a little dull, I bought full upgrades from the trading post and I keep wanting to do that. It is like, I am not killing monsters for gears and upgrades, I am killing them for coppers and silvers to spend on the trading post for stuff I want. The basic idea behind RGP is somehow twisted here. It does not feel right and it does not feel rewarding. As a result, it is not fun.

5) Questing
Personal quest is a very innovative idea in MMO. I enjoy playing this part of the game very much. A job well done here. However, the rest of the generic public quests are just the same thing over and over with different location and theme. Pick up those apples on the field, pick up them branches, gather me some grapes... and the dynamic quests are the same thing keep repeating endlessly, protect this wagon from 10 waves of bandits and monsters... bamb bamb bamb... big skill spamming feast one after another, no plan no tactic no feeling of excitement and no feeling of accomplishment.

I can not complaint too much for a buy to play no monthly fee game. It is just that I read so many overwhelmingly good reviews about it, the angry jo reviews was the trigger point for me to buy it, people keep saying GW2 is the next generation of MMO, the graphic is stunningly beautiful, the ideas are so fresh and innovative etc etc etc... well... maybe it is true for some... but just not me.
Reply Quote
Hi Fen,

If you want feedback you can post this on a GW2 (or neutral) forum instead? This is because:

1. ANet can be aware of your concerns/feedback and evaluate/improve their game.
2. I do not want another GW2 vs WoW argument.

Cheers.

P.S. It would be better if you give examples on how other MMOs' fix (or do not have the problems) you face in GW2.
Edited by TheCursed#6888 on 9/18/2012 10:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The loot hardly matters in GW2. They seem to think its better to farm for skins and focus more on skill.

The game depresses me. ALl those years talking up a storm, and all it happens to be is a big one trick pony.

Once you do it there is little reason to do it again. If I want to play a single player game with a linear story I will just play Mass Effect. At least they do it better.
Reply Quote
Fen,

Do you see my point? Channel your criticism constructively.

I feel you either just trying to voice your dissatisfaction or trying to convince people not to buy the game. If its the latter, sorry to say theres no point. Those who want to buy the game bought it, those who didnt; http://www.guildwars2forum.com/threads/10209-ArenaNet-Digital-Sales-of-GW2-Suspended-(2012-08-30). Most people who did buy the game didn't do it because of the reviews(which came a week after the game was released). I have been keeping track since it was announced over 4 years ago(just like i kept track of diablo3).

Sports get hyped the same way. It's not wrong for a developer to hype a game to generate revenue. (Its wrong to falsely advertise availability of pvp content but i wont go there now). I am unsatisfied with Diablo3. I bought it based on misplaced faith in Blizzard and consideration that is is the successor to Diablo2. But i know ultimately i (just like you with GW2) made the choice to buy the game. Ultimately i can either live with it, stop playing for now or give my account away(which i did to a co-worker along with all 20millG that i have).
Edited by TheCursed#6888 on 9/18/2012 11:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh yeah, I posted the same thread on GW2 forum and nobody cares for it. It has zero replies and sank to page 4 and keep sinking.

At least I got 3 replies here and they make me feel good, lol, seriously.

Internet is the greatest invention and forums are its best byproducts. I can yell out my dissatisfaction on the street, everyone will think I am crazy and nobody will stop to have a conversation with me. However, I can do the exact same thing on forums and someone eventually will care enough to response. Internet is a miracle.
Edited by Fenlius#3910 on 9/18/2012 11:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Im sorry about your post being ignored. You have to admit, it seems like a 'personal rant' (thats why i suggested you provide comparisons or helpful suggestions). I hope you feel better and find games that you will enjoy more.

Internet lets you reach a wider audience without being to much of a nuisance to those who do not care. It is also full of unhelpful jerks who are a minority but like to make lots of noise.

I for one like GW1, have high hopes for GW2, am willing to sit and chat with anyone in game, and like criticism which are right on the mark.

Im sure you remember i gave you some pointers on the controls. You are right about the '4) Rewards', but if only you had met an helpful person, he/she would tell you that you were suposed to buy the items/equip with karma from heart quests. ^^

The questing/events is better than most MMO. (Please correct me if im wrong) You have to understand the limits of MMO quests compared to a single player game. Heck, Diablo3 quests are either touch/kill. Im at lvl 65 now (less than 100 hours in/ 50% world explored), and the main quest gets better and more challenging/ rewarding. Dungeons are really hard unless everyone pulls their weight. My advice is take your time and explore more and dont worry about your lvl or equip.

P.S. I'm not arguing for the game. I dont even know most of the content yet. I'm just helping where i can.
Edited by TheCursed#6888 on 9/19/2012 12:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If it gets attention on the GW2 forum it'll get locked/deleted.

I received a warning for this

Do you think keeping your players broke will make them want to play more?:

Seriously, who is the person at Anet who is pushing this “thou shalt be broke” agenda?

You aren’t going to make a magically functioning economy by trying to force people to be broke. You’re still going to have the “rich” and the “poor”, there just may be fewer zeros involved. All Anet is really doing is just frustrating the “poor” end of the spectrum.

In other MMOs it’s generally pretty easy to afford everything sold by NPCs, in GW2 that is pretty difficult. In other MMOs you of course have the occasional money sink like mounts…but in GW2 EVERYTHING feels like a money sink and that isn’t fun.

I read that post on their forums. Seems it was a little too abrasive for them, so it appears to be all in the wording. EDIT: And I actually agree in some ways. The dungeons can be tough to learn and cost quite a bit of coin, and the waypoints can also be perhaps too costly atm.

I would also say to both of you that ArenaNet has no MMO experience, so it might indeed take some time (probably months) just to work out the kinks and make needed changes. Cause honestly we just don't know how they will handle things down the road.

But there is definitely a heck of a lot of displeasure with the game being voiced on GW2guru and their site. Heck I bet MMORPG has some interesting posts too. I've already voiced my opinion on guru at least.
Edited by chewytowel#1448 on 9/19/2012 6:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am a big fan of GW2 and I stated that - however, I find that all the negative posts here have a solid base, and are the result of trying and playing with an open mind. So I am glad to answer and discuss.

I can agree that the starting levels are a bit frustrating - there is a lot to learn about the game play, the economy, builds skills and traits and so on. My experience is that once you realize some of the mechanics things are getting more easy.

On my first toon, a ranger - I was broke all the way - I could barely afford my trait book. It's true that I kept buying gems fearing inflation which never happened. Once I reached 80 nd 400 in huntsman and I was able to sell some exotic crafts it got better, Right now, if I "farm" (as in roaming around the high level areas) about 2 hours I should be able to make 1g worth of stuff (items, ectos, rare crafting mats, sigils, runes etc). The trading posts gives nice options (like - checking your inventory for selling worthy items)

However, on my numerous Alts (I have one in each class) I never encountered money problems. Salvage medium and light armor, sell ingredients and other items, etc.

The gameplay improves with experience, depends a lot on your class. I discovered something new about my toon everyday (like hiding behind your pet bear so that projectiles hit him instead of me, smart using of traps and quick shot/cripple, etc). 20 hours is generally limited.

There are also some minor tricks that make it a lot easier. Start using +10 stat runes even at low levels. they are rather cheap on the TP and you can add about 50 extra stat points early. Add a minor sigil of bloodlust on your weapon early - makes a lot of difference. And so on.

So - it is perfectly possible the game is not a good fit with you. No game is perfect - or for everybody. Just make sure you take and informed decision before quitting. Behind some simple aspects there is a lot of complexity, especially in builds and action style gameplay.
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 08:37 PMPosted by Fenlius
I can not get anything that I can use for the first 12 levels. Every pieces of armor and weapon I got form mob kills are not useable by my class.

This is a bit of an exaggeration, I've leveled multiple classes, and never had this problem for a full 12 levels, loot drops often enough for this to be avoided.

I remember the days back when I was playing Everquest 1&2, everyday I was so eager to get off work as early as possible so that I could rush home to play them. GW2 does not make me want to do that.

For me, this game has finally got that feeling back for me, though I'm not sure about that first rush I got when making my first character in Everquest will ever return heh. GW2 certainly isn't for everyone, sorry it didn't measure up for you.

For anything higher than your level or an event mini boss, you just die.

Dodging in and out of attacks are the key here for bosses. I agree that there are some small windows that some mobs give you on their hard hitting attacks, however once you get used to dodging in and out and using your skills/spells to mitigate damage or dodge, it will go smoother.

09/19/2012 09:47 AMPosted by Maegglin
The gameplay improves with experience

I agree, I do remember feeling a bit overwhelmed when I first logged in, combat is a bit different then I'm used to, but in the end, I adapted and I find the combat to be fun.

I bought full upgrades from the trading post and I keep wanting to do that. It is like, I am not killing monsters for gears and upgrades, I am killing them for coppers and silvers to spend on the trading post for stuff I want. The basic idea behind RGP is somehow twisted here. It does not feel right and it does not feel rewarding. As a result, it is not fun.

You used the Trading Post by choice, fortunately in GW2 it's not needed to progress.

Pick up those apples on the field, pick up them branches, gather me some grapes... and the dynamic quests are the same thing keep repeating endlessly,

There are normally 3 ways to progress in a quest that gives you a full heart, I find these varied enough that they didn't seem very reptitive all the way until 80, sorry you don't feel the same, you must really hate questing in your typical MMO's, I know I did.

big skill spamming feast one after another, no plan no tactic no feeling of excitement and no feeling of accomplishment.

I don't see what level you said you achieved, but there are a number of different quests, that require points to be defended, multiple interactive items to be activated simultaneously, simply zerging these kinds of quests, get you a failure.

I can not complaint too much for a buy to play no monthly fee game.

Eh, if I felt I wasted 60$, I would be doing the same thing you're donig, at least you got some replies.
Reply Quote
I am only 2 weeks into this game and so far I find myself not wanting to play it as much as I would in games like Everquest, Ultima Online, Skyrim and Diablo. I remember the days back when I was playing Everquest 1&2, everyday I was so eager to get off work as early as possible so that I could rush home to play them. GW2 does not make me want to do that.

1) The graphics
It is very cartoonish and everything looks so colorful and bright. All characters look like some out of proportion Japanese animated prince and princess. Arts is very subjective and everything come down to matter of personal taste. So it is neither good nor bad. I just need some time getting use to it.

The graphics are the best Ive ever seen in a MMO yet, its like painted totally beautiful and Iam a real graphics !@#$% when it comes to games but like you have said its personal preference. A real cartoonic graphic for me is more like WoW or Torchlight. For me GW2 is stylized or fantasy graphics.

2) The controls
I spent the first 10 days in this game trying to figure out the best key binds for moving around and combating. Since combats are usually fast, everything can come and go in split seconds, I can no longer do it the old ways by clicking icons on the screen with the cursor. For a fast action MMO, it could be a real challenge for me since there are just way too many keys I need to worry about. It can be quite frustrating at time and I find this part of the game... not fun at all.

Well thats your problem and not the game´s fault that you are a clicker :/

3) Combats
10 days into the game, playing about 2 hours per day, I am now OK with my key bindings and I can fnally put that aside and start to actually enjoy the game. Combat in general is quite easy. For any monsters close to your level, you can just stand still face tank with auto attack and win. For anything higher than your level or an event mini boss, you just die. However, there are still ways to defeat them. If it is a one on one battle, I can just auto attack while running around the monster circling very close to his body and win. This method works like 100% of every battle with a red named monster. But the first 30-50 battles were like: cool~~~ after doing it the exact same way for a 100 times... things start to get a little... hmmm...

I think you are talking about WoW here where you can autoattack and win, this for sure isnt true in GW2. Complete lie, pls make a video about it, even in low lvls you get your ^-* handed to you if you dont dodge or use your skills.

4) Rewards
I can not get anything that I can use for the first 12 levels. Every pieces of armor and weapon I got form mob kills are not useable by my class. When it takes a bit too long to take down mobs and things are getting a little dull, I bought full upgrades from the trading post and I keep wanting to do that. It is like, I am not killing monsters for gears and upgrades, I am killing them for coppers and silvers to spend on the trading post for stuff I want. The basic idea behind RGP is somehow twisted here. It does not feel right and it does not feel rewarding. As a result, it is not fun.

What do you expect in the first lvls ? Craft something and you will get something you want. You can complete maps with everythng there is to do on it, it will give you always nice rewards .. in higher areas you even get always yellow weapons / armors.

5) Questing
Personal quest is a very innovative idea in MMO. I enjoy playing this part of the game very much. A job well done here. However, the rest of the generic public quests are just the same thing over and over with different location and theme. Pick up those apples on the field, pick up them branches, gather me some grapes... and the dynamic quests are the same thing keep repeating endlessly, protect this wagon from 10 waves of bandits and monsters... bamb bamb bamb... big skill spamming feast one after another, no plan no tactic no feeling of excitement and no feeling of accomplishment.

I can not complaint too much for a buy to play no monthly fee game. It is just that I read so many overwhelmingly good reviews about it, the angry jo reviews was the trigger point for me to buy it, people keep saying GW2 is the next generation of MMO, the graphic is stunningly beautiful, the ideas are so fresh and innovative etc etc etc... well... maybe it is true for some... but just not me.

So you prefer to go to a questhub and read wall of texts and then after completing the quests to go back ? In GW2 you mostly have also the choice how to complete the quests, there are more ways which is nice. Also about dynamic events, they are like raids IMO but without guild dramas. Sure they are always same but what did you expect ? IMO thats a very nice change to make some EP in between some quests, gathering mats and completing the map. SO much better than in WoW for example where you just can quest to lvl up.

I never could go back to a MMO with quest hubs, its just annoying. But thats also probably more personal preference.

Edited by CRUShER#2493 on 9/19/2012 12:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm definitely waiting until the "new game rush" is over for GW2 before I think about buying it.

All the opinions I've heard so far about are "LOL IT'S SOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN D3, DON'T PLAY D3 PLAY DIS GAME IT'S BETTARRR!"

And I'm not saying it's true or not, but for some reason people enjoy selling games over D3 like they make commission off of it.
Reply Quote
Hi Fen,

If you want feedback you can post this on a GW2 (or neutral) forum instead? This is because:

1. ANet can be aware of your concerns/feedback and evaluate/improve their game.
2. I do not want another GW2 vs WoW argument.

Cheers.

P.S. It would be better if you give examples on how other MMOs' fix (or do not have the problems) you face in GW2.

so you're here to say that the OP "isnt allowed" to say what he did?
did your anti-blizzard bias give you mod status?
Reply Quote
GW2 didn't hold me for much more than an hour. I tried making a different class, got to like level 10 or so and haven't logged in since.
Edited by Seeders#1949 on 9/19/2012 4:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It sounds like you went in planning not to like it.

Also, level 10 in an hour is a....questionable claim.

Well it wasn't long. I guess I played it for a few hours. I actually thought I would like it. I thought the combat system would be as skill based as they advertised.

The environments felt very artificial. WoW immersed me much much better, i can hardly compare them.

The dynamic events didn't seem dynamic at all. The same event happened repeatedly, and the outcome had no effect on anything as far as I could tell.

I only played through the first zone, got all the hearts, did a few events, but was completely thrown off by it. Wasn't at all what I expected.
Reply Quote
A colleague at work just told me that GW2 gets much better once you passed level 20. I am at level 12 doing mostly the personal quest and I like it.

Btw I enjoy D3 very much. It is easily the best ARPG I have ever played. All the concerns and negative feedback from the community do not bother me at all. Now I spend about 1 hour on D3 and 1 hour on GW2 everyday. D3, I play it like the lottery. GW2, I play it as an linear single player RPG atm.
Edited by Fenlius#3910 on 9/19/2012 7:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This is what i understand about GW2 progress so far.

1>20 = Learn the game mechanics, (weapons, portals, underwater combat, down status)
20>40 = Learn all the skills, traits, crafting, etc
40>50 = Learn adv combat: dodge, line of sight, skill timing, profession abilities, weapon swap
50>60 = Learn teamwork, survive hard combat
60>70 = Learn survive hard combat
70>80 = Learn?
80+ = pvp & customizing unique look

This is assuming you have the correct level and in the correct area. For example try exploring Orr and stop saying events repeat if you dont leave the level 1-15(or level 15-25) areas.
Reply Quote
09/19/2012 05:56 PMPosted by Seeders
The environments felt very artificial. WoW immersed me much much better, i can hardly compare them.

I feel the exact same way about every other game including WoW, the environments in GW2 are head and shoulders above any MMO I've ever played, they don't repeat the same terrain, or models in different racial areas, from Asuran to Norn zones they feel and look completely different.

The dynamic events didn't seem dynamic at all. The same event happened repeatedly, and the outcome had no effect on anything as far as I could tell.

You didn't spend enough time with them then, they can effect what zones and bases, vendors you have access to. The dynamic quests for me are 10 times funner then your old standard MMO, talk to the NPC, collect 10x of said item, return them to the NPC for meager coin and decent xp.

I only played through the first zone, got all the hearts, did a few events, but was completely thrown off by it. Wasn't at all what I expected.

GW2 of course isn't for everyone, sorry to see that it wasn't the game for you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]