Diablo® III

Frostburn Gauntlets

From the legendary preview: "New Frosties feel a lot more like old Frosties, with big bonuses to Cold Damage and Cold skills."

If ya played Diablo 2, you knew of these because they added 40% base mana.

Nobody remembers the freakin' cold damage.

So if you're going to make a legendary with 0 magic random properties and stats, which is supposed to be in the vain of it's former glory, why couldn't it have done something with the player's resource?

It might have still sucked complete !@# because of the 0 magic random properties or stats.... but at least it would have felt like the D2 version...

I know this has already been stated before... I just felt the need to rant a little after finding these damned things for the fourth painful time.
Edited by Chimaeric#1903 on 9/18/2012 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This isn't D2, so get over it.
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 01:06 PMPosted by Seraphi

Quite over it, I believe D3 is better in fact.

But Frostburns were demod in the "we're gonna make these items feel like they were in d2" section of the legendary preview.

So what the hell?
Reply Quote
I had a crappy legendary items collection once. Now it's called fiery brimstone. I found this glove and raged so hard due to the useless of it that i turned it into brimestone and the rest of my crappy collection.
Reply Quote
i loved frosties back in D2...i havent even found one in D3 yet....
Reply Quote
Agreed... cold damage was never why anyone wore Frostburns back in d2. It was all about that extra mana %. New frostburns should cut resource costs (mana/arcane/rage/ect) of all spells and skills by a percentage. Then they would be more like the original.
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 01:06 PMPosted by Seraphi

True, d2 was actually awesome regarding itemisation
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 01:24 PMPosted by QuineBee
i loved frosties back in D2...i havent even found one in D3 yet....

Consider yourself lucky... even if you find PERFECT D3 frosties, they SUCK.

Probably the lamest ilvl61+ legendary/set you can find right now.

So I've found it four times.
Reply Quote
It's just more proof of how clueless this Dev team is about Diablo2. They claimed to have played it, but I constantly find evidence to the contrary. I don't find the new Frosties useless, I do however see zero correlation between these and what made them almost mandatory for any Sorc in D2.

It's pretty much the same with all of the carry over items from previous games. Schaefers hammer is another example. The new Schaefers is awesome in it's own right, it does a metric crap load of passive lightning damage. But what made it so good in D2 was that it had a very high chance to cast Static Field on hit(or attack?). Static Field reduced life of all monsters by 1/4 each cast until the cap (1/4 NM mode and 1/2 Hell).
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/frostburn-gauntlets
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/tal-rashas-allegiance

30% more damage to cold skills.
Adds 5-6% of your DPS as elemental damage as cold. So every time you damage something it is dealing cold damage.

4 Piece Tal Rasha adds 3% more damage to cold skills.
Tal Rasha's necklace can also add 4% of DPS as elemental cold damage.

So thats 33% more damage to cold skills. AND 10% DPS boost as elemental cold damage. And every time you damage something you have a chance to freeze or chill. With any damage source. The reason the first affix (adds %dmg of DPS as cold) isn't on any other item that instantly appears good, is because its an OP affix.

Why do you think Tal Rasha's (except the amulet that is not guaranteed roll) or Triumvirate doesn't have that affix? They are highly sought after and already good.

The problem with Frostburn gauntlets..... Is that people lack critical thinking skills. There is no problem with the gauntlets themselves. I've actually salvaged two pairs already, but thats just because I'm holding out for a perfectly rolled pair. I can see these being crazy big in PVP. Spec Cold Blooded and every single spell you use will have a chance to proc it. GG

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/winter-flurry

Here is another item, albeit REALLY crappy, that will also make all your skills OP with the ability to freeze/chill on hit with any spell. And proc cold blooded.
Edited by cykikvisage#1144 on 9/18/2012 1:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Apparently the "30% more damage to cold skills." is bugged. A couple of threads have popped up about them.

I've even bumped a few, but, as expected, it fell on deaf ears.
Reply Quote
dev team is a bunch of frat college grads that have only played madden on their xbox. and when we bother them with our complaints they say "f--- that loser"
Reply Quote
It has been confirmed by Blizzard that these gauntlets are currently not working and should be fixed up in the next patch.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6412104194

Hey guys!

Wanted to make sure I had all my information correct before posting. Yes, the "Cold skills deal x% more damage" affix is not applying properly on the Frostburn Gauntlets. We should have this fixed for our next patch.

I'm eagerly awaiting this fix to give them a test and see if there are some viable cold builds for Wizards.

I agree that yes the resource pool gain is the chief usage of the old gloves and somehow this was overlooked in the new version (yet the legacy item sort of tries to apply it). However, it's an exciting item for very niche builds which tickles my fancy a lot more than a generic item that you would see on nearly every character screen such as the old Frosties.

What I do find strange is that I've found about 5-6 of these already and most player I play with have found multiple copies. It being a niche build item further exasperates people because they seem flooded with a Legendary that most characters can't use.

Lets see how good these are when the bug is fixed... they might just turn out to be fantastic and spawn a new build.
Reply Quote
When they are fixed does it mean the ones I currently have will work, or will I have to find new ones? If they do fix the current ones, then that confuses the issue of why the could not change the pre 1.04 legendary items.
Reply Quote
Looks good to me.

You have my permission to give me all your Frostburns.
Reply Quote
@ChaosLeech

It has been stated in the past that a mechanic like that can be patched in to work retroactively with old gear IIRC. I could be wrong.
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 02:02 PMPosted by ChaosLeech
When they are fixed does it mean the ones I currently have will work, or will I have to find new ones? If they do fix the current ones, then that confuses the issue of why the could not change the pre 1.04 legendary items.

This will most likely be applied retroactively to current Frostburns as there is a bug with the item property. Similar to the Attack Speed bug previously on some Legendaries.

The reason they could not change legacy (pre 1.0.4) Legendary items is exactly because it would be changing the items... not bug fixes. There simply was no feasible solution to reroll all the random properties of previous legendaries.

Simply put, they will most likely fix all Frostburns as this is a bug on the item property.

Incidentally, testing has revealed that this bug extends to Magefist, Fragment of Destiny, Burning Axe, Maximus, Schaefer's Hammer and even Stone of Jordan - where specific skills/runes do not have the bonuses applied, mostly DoT spells.
Reply Quote

So thats 33% more damage to cold skills. AND 10% DPS boost as elemental cold damage. And every time you damage something you have a chance to freeze or chill. With any damage source. The reason the first affix (adds %dmg of DPS as cold) isn't on any other item that instantly appears good, is because its an OP affix.

I never understood this bonus. I mean most player would prefer +30% crit damage gloves with extra affixes and help boost all your other skills rather than pigeon holed into a single 30% cold damage bonus....Those gloves need fast cast or extra mana/arcane power.
Reply Quote

I never understood this bonus. I mean most player would prefer +30% crit damage gloves with extra affixes and help boost all your other skills rather than pigeon holed into a single 30% cold damage bonus....Those gloves need fast cast or extra mana/arcane power.

Well if your entire build is cold centric when it comes to damage then it means that you don't need to do critical hits to receive the 30% bonus on all of your attacks... crit or not.

As a bonus you can roll critical hits in addition to the 30% bonus which inflates the damage even more.

Combine this with items such as Fragment of Destiny and you sit with a potential 55% increase of Cold damage on every attack excluding crit damage... pretty massive.

Obviously perfectly rolled rare gloves will be much more versatile than Frostburns, but in a dedicated build Frostburns will be a powerhouse. Now if only the bug was fixed. ;-)
Edited by Sporvan#1709 on 9/18/2012 2:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]