Diablo® III

1.0.5 is a HUGE buff... Not a nerf...

MVP
View profile
This thread is continued here.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6606361193

So I read through this developer journal sticky discussion... and I see a lot of people complaining and crying that these nerfs are going to make it harder for them to play...

Actually, it's quite the opposite.

First let's take a look at the formulas so you can follow along.

- Armor Formula -

Armor DR = Armor / [ Armor + ( 50 * Monster Level ) ]

- Resistance Formula -

Resistance DR = Resistance / [ Resistance + ( 5 * Monster Level ) ]

- Total Mitigation -

Mitigation = 1 - [ ( 1 - Armor DR ) * ( 1 - Resistance DR) ]

Now that we've got all the formulas out of the way and people actually know how mitigation is calculated, let's take a look at the data for 1.0.5. Keep in mind that Monster Damage is reduced by 25% now.

For this specific example, I'm going to use War Cry and Energy Armor.

- Old War Cry -
Armor - 20%
Resistance - 50%

- New War Cry -
Armor - 20%
Resistance - 20%

- Old Energy Armor -
Armor - 65%
Resistance - 40%

- New Energy Armor -
Armor - 35%
Resistance - 25%

Now at first, these look like daunting nerfs. However, given that monsters now hit 25% less, we will actually be taking LESS damage than before, and we will have LESS emphasis on REQUIRING these skills.

http://i.imgur.com/PmpFr.png
Now there's the cold hard numbers.

If a monster dealt 70,000 damage in 1.0.4, it now deals 52,500 damage in 1.0.5

If you refer to the chart and look at the survivability column, you will notice a trend.

That's right, your survivability is going to INCREASE with the LESS armor and resistance that you CURRENTLY have.

A Barbarian at 1000 Armor and 100 Resistance is going to see a 19.83% increased survivability rate come 1.0.5.

The more and more armor you have, the less survivability you'll notice, but this means you can safely drop your defensive skills quicker than you would normally.

This is what we all wanted, we wanted more choices.

Well, now you can finally play more offensively.

As to those of us complaining that Inferno is already too easy (Yes, I am included in that as well) we can see an increase in difficulty thanks to the new Monster Power system.

If you want a challenge, you'll still get a challenge.

TL:DR
This patch is a buff, please stop complaining about it.

PS. Stop complaining about Gloom until you see the exact specifics on the rest of your passives and other skills.
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 9/17/2012 2:03 AM PDT
Not good at Maths... But can you please spin it so the gloom change sound like a buff?

Keep in mind the idea of DH is to not stand in puddles of green stuff, and we rarely, if ever sustain 5 seconds of constant damage.
droth is right on this one. People need to stop crying about difficulty.

Everyone is getting a buff, and then player 8 will allow people to make the game harder. Everyone is getting what they want.
Agreed, not sure why people think this is going to hurt them...

As long as the players x thing is done right (adaquate rewards for the and adequate amount of difficulty increase) I think 1.05 will be very good.

Also give monks offensive passives :)

Edit : The comment about Gloom and DHs.. They already said they plan to work something out to help with DH defense so they're not one hit wonders.
Edited by Kade#1215 on 9/16/2012 7:36 AM PDT
Can you include in your Gloom math the fact that Reflects Damage will probably now murder DHs with high DPS unless that affix is also nerfed?
Currently

Assuming no other mitagration, and 70,000 damage:
70,000 x (1-0.65) = 24,500

After patch
70,000 x (1-0.25) x (1-0.35) = 34,125.

Re. Other changes, until I see otherwise, I will assume the changes will be tagged onto skills literally used by 0.01 percent of the DH population, such as summon wolves, entangle shots, and what not.
Edited by silvermirage#1775 on 9/16/2012 7:41 AM PDT
09/16/2012 07:36 AMPosted by Reno
Can you include in your Gloom math the fact that Reflects Damage will probably now murder DHs with high DPS unless that affix is also nerfed?

I would hope that reflect damage is going to see the same decrease in damage as everything else or that would be pretty dumb.

Edit : in the math above you're not taking into account the increase in life gained through shadow power and the increased duration.
Edited by Kade#1215 on 9/16/2012 7:42 AM PDT
Your sample fails there, where the unbuffed and buffed values are shown. Look up my profile, i used warcry with the 50% to come out at a 1:10 ratio. Now with the nerf this is way off. They will nerf my gear straight away and i am not thankful for that crap. They have to stop messing with the players gear each and every patch. Makes me angry or sad or both and makes the game feel like it was rushed.
09/16/2012 07:28 AMPosted by Drothvader
TL:DR

Tell me about /players and reflect damage vs defensive skill nerfs.
MVP
View profile
09/16/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Balkoth
Your sample fails there, where the unbuffed and buffed values are shown. Look up my profile, i used warcry with the 50% to come out at a 1:10 ratio. Now with the nerf this is way off. They will nerf my gear straight away and i am not thankful for that crap. They have to stop messing with the players gear each and every patch. Makes me angry or sad or both and makes the game feel like it was rushed.

You're wrong and I just proved you wrong with a chart.

You're not taking into consideration the nerf to monster damage.

Please refer to the above chart.

09/16/2012 07:42 AMPosted by k0re
Tell me about /players and reflect damage vs defensive skill nerfs.

What about relfect damage? All they have to do is reduce the damage reflected by 25% to match the new values.

It's not like they have to do anything differently.

I would imagine reflect damage is getting reduced just like everything else.

We're going to be fine.
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 9/16/2012 7:45 AM PDT
You didn't get what i was typing there. They throw my ratio off with the nerfs to warcry. It doesn't matter if they nerf monster damage, they simply nerf my gear. Thats what i am angry about.
Edited by Balkoth#2815 on 9/16/2012 7:46 AM PDT
What about relfect damage? All they have to do is reduce the damage reflected by 25% to match the new values.

It's not like they have to do anything differently.

We're going to be fine.

That would make too much sense, stop with this whole logic nonsense.
Edited by Kade#1215 on 9/16/2012 7:47 AM PDT
09/16/2012 07:43 AMPosted by Drothvader

Hope so. They made some statements about monster damage, whereas reflect damage is determined by player damage, which isn't being nerfed.
EDIT: Gloom is a 39% Suvivability loss across the board.

Oh wonderful! It's a HUGE buff! 39% survival loss,

Wait, did you say loss? As in I die faster? Whatever happened to HUGE buff? Can I please go back to complaining now that you proved yourself wrong?
09/16/2012 07:47 AMPosted by silvermirage
EDIT: Gloom is a 39% Suvivability loss across the board.

Oh wonderful! It's a HUGE buff! 39% survival loss,

Wait, did you say loss? As in I die faster? Whatever happened to HUGE buff? Can I please go back to complaining now that you proved yourself wrong?

What do you not get about monster damage being reduced?
I would hope that reflect damage is going to see the same decrease in damage as everything else or that would be pretty dumb.

Edit : in the math above you're not taking into account the increase in life gained through shadow power and the increased duration.

You're right that it would be dumb, but this is D3 we're talking about, where chests are useless, Discipline is for defense unless you're using Sentry, and promoting build diversity includes destroying entire builds in each patch.

Also, increased duration is useless if your life-steal cannot keep up.
90% of my bud list said they welcome 1.0.5. So the fact is the people who are crying here mostly quited or casuals, or maybe they are just trolling cause they cant enjoy the game itself.

People are just too sensitive when they hear something about nerfing and maybe bad math? So they'll somehow ignore everything else and ragecry before they can know the fact that the game wasnt any harder.

1.0.5 going to be another successful patch to me after 1.0.4 and we good players just cant stop crybabies, just let them do while we going to enjoy the patch.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]