Diablo® III

1.0.5 is a HUGE buff... Not a nerf...

I did the calcuation before and after. So did someone else. We factor in the 25% damage reduce. If you use prismatic armor in patch 1.04 and don't in 1.05 facotr in the 25% damage reduce you'll be taking 37% more damage. Everyone still going to use the skill. I don't see how that help build diversity. It make it "a bit" less appealing but most likely everyone still using it.

Dude, I just did the calculations... You are not taking more incoming damage. You did your math incorrectly.

Let's say for instance I have 3000 Armor and 300 Resistance unbuffed.

With the old Prismatic Armor I would have 4950 Armor and 420 Resistance.

With the NEW Prismatic Armor I would have 4050 Armor and 375 Resistance.

- Old Mitigation -

Armor DR = 4950 / [4950+(50*63)] = 61%
Resist DR = 420 / [420+(5*63)] = 57%
Total = 1 - [(1-.61)*(1-.57)] = 83.23%
Old Inc Damage = 70,000
Mitigated Damage = 11739 Incoming Damage

- New Mitigation -

Armor DR = 4050 / [4050+(50*63)] =56%
Resist DR = 375 / [375+(5*63)] = 54%
Total = 1 - [(1-.56)*(1-.54)] = 79.76%
Old Inc Damage = 52,500
Mitigated Damage = 10626 Incoming Damage

Now, last time I checked... 10626 is LESS than 11739.

In other words, you guys need to revisit your math.
Blah, so much to fiddle with in this game and they do this....

Will they fix the extreme molten damage from a few of their packs?

Will bosses drop legendarys?

Will Act 4 be worth a crap any time soon?

I do like the legendarys, but it is worth noting that Guildwars2 launched will full pvp and is getting rave reviews. They didnt spend 12 years on it either.

You can't be nerfed in something taht does not exist.

If they are aiming for a difficulty level of X, it does not matter if they use 1.04 game rules or 1.05 game rules. They will make the appropriate adjustments to make the difficult be X.

Then why are they not leaving Defensive skills alone and nerfing incoming Damage in order to get people to switch?

The reason is they know what the new Monster power modes will be and are reducing the value of defensive stats so that it is much harder to mitigate the damage than it would have been with the old defensive skills.

Maybe to push people to use their RMAH? Maybe to force people to farm longer for upgrades?

Only Blizzard really knows and they will not tell us the real reason.

It just so happens that there is a WHOLE paragraph that tells you why.

Why are we doing this? The reason is not complicated. High incoming monster damage combined with extremely powerful defensive skills make those skills and runes feel mandatory. Our goal is that by simultaneously nerfing defensive skills and reducing incoming damage, players who choose to continue using these defensive skills will take less damage overall, and players who choose to forego these "mandatory" skills will find themselves more survivable than what you would currently experience on live. Overall, these changes result in a huge buff in the player’s favor.

Outside of taht, if you can't understand that you can never be nerfed in something taht does not yet exist, then there is no reason to keep talking. Its a simple logic problem and you are not seeing the logic.
Edited by Glassfist#1820 on 9/16/2012 8:31 AM PDT
So... Mister MVP... Huge buff... Still waiting.
Ahh 1.0.5 the nerf and buff patch. You can paint a turd gold and say it's worth something, but yet it's still a turd. D3 is losing players and will continue to lose players. The real issue with this game is not the damage the monsters do. It's not the skills. It's the items it's always been about the items.

I'm tired of farming for 4-6hrs a day and getting nothing of value or upgrades for any of my chars. All my items have been bought off the GAH. I've yet to find a single upgrade for any of my lvl 60 chars because of how bad the items are could just be my luck, but I have my doubts.

Tired of seeing 100+ int on a Barb only item or 100+ str on a Monk item or ilvl63 1h weapon roll perfect stats, but has less then 300 damage. At lest make it so ilvl 63 weapons can not roll below 800 damage if it's a weapon and have class only items roll main stats only.
09/16/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Drothvader
I did the calcuation before and after. So did someone else. We factor in the 25% damage reduce. If you use prismatic armor in patch 1.04 and don't in 1.05 facotr in the 25% damage reduce you'll be taking 37% more damage. Everyone still going to use the skill. I don't see how that help build diversity. It make it "a bit" less appealing but most likely everyone still using it.

Dude, I just did the calculations... You are not taking more incoming damage. You did your math incorrectly.

Let's say for instance I have 3000 Armor and 300 Resistance unbuffed.

With the old Prismatic Armor I would have 4950 Armor and 420 Resistance.

With the NEW Prismatic Armor I would have 4050 Armor and 375 Resistance.

- Old Mitigation -

Armor DR = 4950 / [4950+(50*63)] = 61%
Resist DR = 420 / [420+(5*63)] = 57%
Total = 1 - [(1-.61)*(1-.57)] = 83.23%
Old Inc Damage = 70,000
Mitigated Damage = 11739 Incoming Damage

- New Mitigation -

Armor DR = 4050 / [4050+(50*63)] =56%
Resist DR = 375 / [375+(5*63)] = 54%
Total = 1 - [(1-.56)*(1-.54)] = 79.76%
Old Inc Damage = 52,500
Mitigated Damage = 10626 Incoming Damage

Now, last time I checked... 10626 is LESS than 11739.

In other words, you guys need to revisit your math.

You read me wrong. I said if I "don't" use prismatic armor in patch 1.05.

The whole point is to make build diversity right? So why would I "drop prismatic armor" if I'm going to be taking 37% more damage compare in patch 1.04 with prismatic armor.

Using developers example.

A mage with 6000 armor and 800 resistance in patch 1.04 with prismatic armor
became 9900 armro and 1120 resistance. For a total mitigation of 94.7% or
taking 5.3% damage. So 100 damage will hit you for 5.3 damage

The same mage in 1.05 without prismatic armor will have a total mitigation
of 90.3% or taking 97% damage. So 100 damage will hit you for 9.726 damage.
Since monster hit 25% less that become 7.3 damage.

7.3 divide by 5.3 is 1.37. So you get hit for 37% more damage
hahaha I feel bad for Droth right now...so many stupid ppl on here.
09/16/2012 08:19 AMPosted by Glassfist
Reflected player damage is monster damage that takes into account player damage.

This is not a relevant observation. As I understand it, the damage value is determined by player damage. The reflect percentage itself is not damage. It's "player takes %playerdamage on hit". This percentage does not exceed 100% (as far as I know).
What? Reflects Damage is based upon player DPS, not monster damage.

Monster damage being reduced does not imply Reflects Damage being reduced because of this unique trait.

They're not nerfing player damage by 25% as far as I know; nerfing Reflects Damage by 25% will result in an extremely large net loss for players with high DPS.

I don't even...

Lemme break it down for you holmes.

Let's say for instance that right now Reflect Damage reflected 25% of the damage back at the player.

Now in order for that to be a buff, we would need to reduce that by 25%.

For instance, the new reflect damage would now be 18.75%

If you reduce the percentage that is REFLECTED then it will MATCH the nerf to monster damage.

Comprende?

Okay, I guess you're not getting it as much as you think you are.

The problem with the Gloom nerf in regards to Reflects Damage is that it scales with player DPS (like I said in my previous post, which did not seem to register with you).

A simple "reduce Reflects Damage by X% also!" solution does not help players with high DPS, because of the reduced damage mitigation of Gloom and the nerfed life-steal of SP in general. The damage returned might be less, but the life-steal and damage mitigation will be even less so, meaning it will not keep up with Reflects Damage's returns.

Math is your friend.

Let's assume 70000 damage is done to a monster with Reflects Damage while I'm using SP/Gloom, and let's assume your illogiical Reflects Damage nerf makes it in as well:

1.0.4 [Gloom Damage Reduction = 0.65, Life Steal = 0.2, Reflects Damage rate = 0.25]
70000 damage * (0.25 reflects damage rate) = 17500 incoming damage
17500 incoming * (1-0.65 Gloom reduction rate) = 6125 incoming damage
70000 damage * (0.04 Gloom Life-Steal [Inferno nerf]) = 2800 incoming heal

Net damage taken: +3325

1.0.5 [Gloom Damage Reduction = 0.35, Life Steal = 0.15; Reflects Damage reduced by our MVP poster to 0.1875]
70000 damage * (0.1875 reflects damage rate) = 13125 incoming damage
13125 incoming * (1-0.35 Gloom reduction rate) = 8531 incoming damage
70000 damage * (0.03 Gloom Life-Steal [Inferno nerf]) = 2100 incoming heal

Net damage taken: +6431

Comprende?
09/16/2012 08:31 AMPosted by nekkra
Dude, I just did the calculations... You are not taking more incoming damage

Except you are only speculating how reflect damage will be configured

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7155884/Dev_Journal_Defensive_Bonuses_and_Monster_Damage-9_14_2012

As it happens, we’re going to reduce all damage in Inferno by at least 25%.

reduce all damage in Inferno by at least 25%.

all damage

Completely explained in 2 simple words.

ALL DAMAGE.
Using your formula.

- New Mitigation -

Armor DR = 4050 / [4050+(50*63)] =56%- Less mitigation.
Resist DR = 375 / [375+(5*63)] = 54%- Less mitigation.
Total = 1 - [(1-.56)*(1-.54)] = 79.76%- less mitigation.
Old Inc Damage = 70000- moved up to act 4
Mitigated Damage = 14168 Incoming Damage- Higher than previously taking in Act 1

Now lets say you move into a new zone. So you were farming act 1 and decide to move to Act 4 farming. In act 4 the damage is higher. So lets say you are now being hit for the same amount as you were in Act 1 prenerf.

As you can see I am now taking more incoming damage.

Now tell me how much more All resisit or Armor I need to mitigate the same amount of damage?

Oh yeah it is now way more than I need in 1.04 because I get less value to every point I buy then I did before.

So it is nerf.
Edited by Ariktu#1893 on 9/16/2012 8:36 AM PDT
09/16/2012 08:34 AMPosted by Reno
Comprende?

I already agreed with you that Gloom is a 39% survivabilty loss...

I'm talking about reflect damage.
so what happens when the nerf all defensive abilities and not just the ones they have stated and any player that used multiple defensive abilities in order to beat the game is now basically screwed over because the 25% doesn't cover it? Currently using 4 on my wizard.
mengnan1hao's post sums up the consequences of the changes.
You read me wrong. I said if I "don't" use prismatic armor in patch 1.05.

The whole point is to make build diversity right? So why would I "drop prismatic armor" if I'm going to be taking 37% more damage compare in patch 1.04 with prismatic armor.

Using developers example.

A mage with 6000 armor and 800 resistance in patch 1.04 with prismatic armor
became 9900 armro and 1120 resistance. For a total mitigation of 94.7% or
taking 5.3% damage. So 100 damage will hit you for 5.3 damage

The same mage in 1.05 without prismatic armor will have a total mitigation
of 90.3% or taking 97% damage. So 100 damage will hit you for 9.726 damage.
Since monster hit 25% less that become 7.3 damage.

7.3 divide by 5.3 is 1.37. So you get hit for 37% more damage

How much more do you get hit for percent wise if you don't take prismatic right now? more I'm guessing... The point is that taking an offensive skill over a defensive will be less punishment in 1.05
09/16/2012 08:36 AMPosted by Drothvader
Comprende?

I already agreed with you that Gloom is a 39% survivabilty loss...

I'm talking about reflect damage.

*face palm* So am I.
So Droth, you're saying Monster Power mode, and that new Infernal Machine won't have increased damage? Because if it does, the nerfed defences will be felt acutely.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]