Diablo® III

Dont switch games, TL2 was hype

So I possibly made a huge mistake in buying Torchlight 2. Being someone who saw a lot of merit in Diablo 3, I figured I would atleast check out what all the critics were thinking about Torchlight 2. I can tell you 5 hours into the game, in the middle of Act 2, that there is nothing greener over that hill. The game is not this intuitive gift that people were claiming it to be, in fact, the game is quite boring.

Its not that the game is bad, per se, its more that its nothing new. TOrchlight 2 builds on nothing, it offers nothing new to the land of ARPGs. It is simply there, and...yeah.... Its hard to praise it on much. It does give you a sense like you are earning loot, as I had actually completed a set 4 hours in. However, the set items themselves had bad stats and the 6% attack speed and 10% health increase was not worthwhile. It gives you the illusion that it rewards you by handing you set item after unique after set item, but if you look at those items, 95% of them were useless. When I turned it off after another 2 hour run, I realized the game had really built on nothing.

Its Diablo 2, with a different art style. The game rewards you by engineering your drops to be for your class. 90% of my drops you could tell were for an Embermage, except that, I was specced as a Melee Embermage and needed some warrior gear, that I couldnt find, meaning I could not get the damage mitigation I need and was basically a glass cannon.

Its nothing new and I assure you if you are still playing Diablo 3 at this point but may want to "try it" you arent going to find anything worth playing that anymore. Its a shame really, if I had a physical copy and the CD key id probably try to sell it to someone who wants it but Steam, yeah.... 20 bucks gone.

It just doesnt build on anything and is not worth switching games if youve committed 150-200 hours or more to characters your building up.
Reply Quote
So I possibly made a huge mistake in buying Torchlight 2. Being someone who saw a lot of merit in Diablo 3, I figured I would atleast check out what all the critics were thinking about Torchlight 2. I can tell you 5 hours into the game, in the middle of Act 2, that there is nothing greener over that hill. The game is not this intuitive gift that people were claiming it to be, in fact, the game is quite boring.

Its not that the game is bad, per se, its more that its nothing new. TOrchlight 2 builds on nothing, it offers nothing new to the land of ARPGs. It is simply there, and...yeah.... Its hard to praise it on much. It does give you a sense like you are earning loot, as I had actually completed a set 4 hours in. However, the set items themselves had bad stats and the 6% attack speed and 10% health increase was not worthwhile. It gives you the illusion that it rewards you by handing you set item after unique after set item, but if you look at those items, 95% of them were useless. When I turned it off after another 2 hour run, I realized the game had really built on nothing.

Its Diablo 2, with a different art style. The game rewards you by engineering your drops to be for your class. 90% of my drops you could tell were for an Embermage, except that, I was specced as a Melee Embermage and needed some warrior gear, that I couldnt find, meaning I could not get the damage mitigation I need and was basically a glass cannon.

Its nothing new and I assure you if you are still playing Diablo 3 at this point but may want to "try it" you arent going to find anything worth playing that anymore. Its a shame really, if I had a physical copy and the CD key id probably try to sell it to someone who wants it but Steam, yeah.... 20 bucks gone.

It just doesnt build on anything and is not worth switching games if youve committed 150-200 hours or more to characters your building up.

I agree, bought the game yesterday and although i don't think it's a bad game at all, compared to D3 is just meh..
Edited by VLADIMIR#1701 on 9/21/2012 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
While I agree TL2 probably won't have the staying power of D3, I wouldn't really consider a loss of 20 dollars a "huge mistake".
Reply Quote
same here!! omg i wouldnt say it as gooda s you did since my english is kinda bad

but i bought both game and Diablo 3 is more polished and a few patch has already been set, the legendary are awesome

and today... today was a great day for diablo 3 alot of good announcement

Keys, Organ, Uber Red Portal, PvP Interface, PvP Token...
Reply Quote
I started playing beta for Path of Exile the other day while waiting for 1.0.5, and it was actually pretty awesome. Graphics aren't top of the line, but item pool is very diverse, and the character building is, in one word, EPIC.

Once it goes open beta I suggest yall give it a shot - free to play to boot!
Reply Quote
Oh noes! 20$ gone! Whatever will you do!
Reply Quote
Why would anyone "switch games". One time purchase and you can play it whenever you want.

Or do you lack the ability to play more than one game? Seems like that's a common misfortune for people lately. I sure would hate only being able to play one game.
Reply Quote
View profile
Tell me something new. All games are just hype.
Reply Quote
09/21/2012 01:26 PMPosted by RandomHero
While I agree TL2 probably won't have the staying power of D3, I wouldn't really consider a loss of 20 dollars a "huge mistake".

this is true
Reply Quote
The only thing D3 beats Torchlight 2 at is graphics. Everything else blows D3 out of the water in a BIG BIG way.
Reply Quote
I don't mind TL2 at all. I spent $20 on a game and I got a $20 game. I like that the game is fast. The sound effects on some of the weapons are weak, and you can sometimes lose you character in the coloring of the background art. I think its a cool little addition to the genre.
Reply Quote
It's interesting. The skills are fun and actually carry weight as far as your build goes. Some things need polish but you forget...LAN OMG SOMETHING DIABLO DOES NOT HAVE! Also easily and highly modable. Those 2 things alone set this game on current standards where D3 sits somewhere around the 15 year old technology curve with pretty gfx and an auction house strapped on.

I'm not saying either is better as its like comparing a Ferrari gto to a Hyundai genesis. They do the job in completely different ways at different price points but at the end of the day they go around the track at the same speed.
Reply Quote
Torchlight 2 wasn't bad at all - the only place I'd say it's really lacking thus far is the combat. It feels lackluster, without much punch or any sort of real impact at all. Which is sort of a problem I suppose - Diablo III offers very little reward for very fun combat, while Torchlight 2 offers a ton of reward for some rather bland combat.
Reply Quote
View profile
Man, Only $20.00 bucks for a game? How much can you complain about it?
Reply Quote
09/21/2012 02:05 PMPosted by RayvinAzn
Torchlight 2 wasn't bad at all - the only place I'd say it's really lacking thus far is the combat. It feels lackluster, without much punch or any sort of real impact at all. Which is sort of a problem I suppose - Diablo III offers very little reward for very fun combat, while Torchlight 2 offers a ton of reward for some rather bland combat.

Agreed x10

I also expected it to take more than 30 hours to beat the game and reach max level...I expected 100+ hours before I was even somewhat well geared.
Reply Quote
I am gonna play two. Doesn't seems like TL2 will need as much time as D3 so I will doing both and see how long TL2 will last
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]