Diablo® III

Dont switch games, TL2 was hype

Personally, "first week of torchlight 2" blows "first week of D3" out of the water.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Shaman
Diablo 3 was entirely hype, what the hell are you talking about? And we had to pay MORE for this mistake.

See thats the confusing part, 175 hours of game time. Yeah, "hype" is a great word for that. I got 175 hours out of Diablo 3 before I got bored and did 1 Act 3 run a day. Im not even half way through TL2, ya know 6 hours in and I have basically put it down.

Most games see what, 10-20 hours of play? Maybe 100 if its got good multiplayer support but your not really "hooked".

And yet, there are people with 250 hours going "wow this sucks".

Well, 6 hours into TL2, wow this is boring.

12 hours myself and personally loving it. People put that much time into D3 thinking they would reach a point where it would be fun. Blizzard has never before released such a dud and it takes time to sink in that's what this game was. Personally I was bored in D3 after clearing normal. That's what happens when you have a game revolve around loot, yet that loot is bland and boring.
Edited by Thorrand#1646 on 9/21/2012 5:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
At the end of the day, when Diablo 3 came out I was expecting a successor to Diablo 2. Not a game with 90% of diablo 2's features missing on release.

I look over to Torchlight 2 and see an almost identical game to diablo 2, obviously with a different art style, story(lol) and enemies. Torchlight 2 is the game I wanted Diablo 3 to be. It doesn't mean I'm calling Diablo 3 a bad game, its just merely okay.

Also the fact that Torchlight 2 has modding tools, that alone will keep longevity in the game.
Reply Quote
Can't be anymore over-hyped than D3 was!

TLDR
Edited by ArchAngel#1943 on 9/21/2012 4:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/21/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Trelanka

See thats the confusing part, 175 hours of game time. Yeah, "hype" is a great word for that. I got 175 hours out of Diablo 3 before I got bored and did 1 Act 3 run a day. Im not even half way through TL2, ya know 6 hours in and I have basically put it down.

Most games see what, 10-20 hours of play? Maybe 100 if its got good multiplayer support but your not really "hooked".

And yet, there are people with 250 hours going "wow this sucks".

Well, 6 hours into TL2, wow this is boring.

12 hours myself and personally loving it. People put that much time into D3 thinking they would reach a point where it would be fun. Personally I was bored in D3 after clearing normal. That's what happens when you have a game revolve around loot, yet that loot is bland and boring.

and the same exact maps, and events in all modes, no endgame, pay-to-win merchant simulator.... lost me there.
Reply Quote
I got to play TL2 right away when it released, whereas I got error 37 with diablo.

Oh yeah I can dodge projectiles and melee strikes in TL. And people think that Diablo mechanic is soooo much better than TL.

I am not even 1/2 into act 1 in torchlight I think i saw more monster varieties than Diablo.

Most of all, if you don't like TL now, you wait 1/2 year and someone will reskin it into whatever way they like. $20 for all that. (oh right in diablo if you don't have a life or run a bot you might make that $20)
Edited by Belmont#1545 on 9/21/2012 5:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1.05 nerf fest couldn't come at a worse time. I'm done with D3 until PvP.

lvl 21 Embermage so far... I'll put 100 hours into TL2 easily.
Lotion in the bucket - that was more amusing than anything in D3
Reply Quote
Haha, I loved that bit. The Goonies reference with One Eye Willy was terrific, as well.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage

Its not that the game is bad, per se, its more that its nothing new. TOrchlight 2 builds on nothing, it offers nothing new to the land of ARPGs. It is simply there, and...yeah....

D3 is just there too, trying to be an ARPG, copying elements from an MMO. It's just confused. If you chase 2 rabbits, you lose them both.
Reply Quote
to OP:
sorry you feel that way about TL2 but it's entirely your opinion. as for me i really like TL2 and the fact that i can actually build my character the way i want to be. i considered the melee mage as well and i may still do it, but the game is new and requires way more research as far as viable builds go. 2 days is far too early to be making assumptions that u can or can't build your character a certain way.

ever since i got TL2, i havent logged into D3 not once. and i dont think $20 is a huge loss, i think it was priced fairly and and where it should be. now D3, i actually felt sick that i lost $60. now that's alot especially since i felt it was more of a $30 - $40 game. not $60 quality at all. we paid for eye candy.
Reply Quote
I play both.

No, no really. It can be done.
Reply Quote
Reading this thread kind of made me a little sad. I feel really old after reading the first two pages because there are so many posts that so blatantly read as though from gamers of the more recent generation. These guys who have never even played the past Diablo games and don't know the foundation that made them such a hit and drove the massive desires for a sequel. They also don't understand how badly that D3 has missed the mark. Although for someone who has come from outside the genre D3 may be a fairly good game, but it is really a crying shame compared to what it could have and really should have been.

TL2 is what D3 really should have aimed for. The game was made by 2 of the 3 geniuses behind the two games that made the Diablo name a gaming legend and it shows in nearly every square inch of the game. My first hours with the game have been a blast. Although I am trying to keep my cool, I can't help but feel excited that the game is filling the shoes that I expected of D3, that it will be the game that surpasses Diablo 2. The game is reigniting the fire that D2 had started years back. I only wish more could fully understand what they are missing but you can't really understand it all unless you've lived the Diablo experience to its fullest from back in the day.
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 9/22/2012 8:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My first hours with the game have been a blast. Although I am trying to keep my cool...

i sure wasn't expecting a nice game like that this year, it's like xmas for me. Only complain i have about tl2 is the ui need a bit of work (which can be fixed easily) and i'm really hoping gems could be stack in pile cause it's cluttering my stash.

but yeah.. i haven't slept since release :( I'm really addicted to the fights system, so fast, so many enemies. To be fair, it began a bit slow, i'd say around level20 my experimental build began to rampage through things/multiples skills/weapon switch. There was a dungeon in a sewer, had like 50-100 insect on me, couldn't even see my character except the blood splatter everywhere as i was wrecking havoc, fun times - been a while since i had that feeling.
Reply Quote
i dont know why people say the GUI sucks or is cluttered rofl i have lots of space to see on 1920x1080, and not to mention the fact that i can have the minimap open ont he left center or right side whereas d3 its just overlapped on my char looks like !@#$ nvr know where i'm going.

at least TL2 has enchanting on items to bring better stats/effects/AFFIXES
D3 they trashed the mystic which was that job so youknow RMAH so there's your enchantment
they also have a gambler NPC which you unlock later to buy unid'ed items which could be LEGENDARY or UNIQUE or RARE that is at YOUR LEVEL.

oh right TL2 no error 37 on day1 or day2 or day3 etc.
for 20$ or 15$/person for 4pack its a good game. highway robbery is d3 where you're forced to play RMAH if you want your money back. lol which in turn is someone else's demise. which is like unless you bot 24/7 gold mining and selling it then you won't be making much unless you're top tier farming these days. friend dropped like all his gold before 1.0.4 on RMAH and got 300$ in translation 2 months later that's practically 5 dollars now. talk about OWNED.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 9/23/2012 3:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah. We'll see in few days/weeks. Got bored with both TL1 and TL2 after like 30? 40? hours. Endless gear drop, which doesn't give any feeling of a reward, repetitive content (with such random map generator - nice work, Runic!), much less fun from combat, not interesting skills. It's just boring. I just feel bad for you guys. You, who play TL2 and can't stop praising it just to convince yourselves, that D3 is a !@#$. But it isn't. It's not perfect, but it is far more fun than Torchlight series.
Edited by mattrick#2123 on 9/23/2012 3:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote

12 hours myself and personally loving it. People put that much time into D3 thinking they would reach a point where it would be fun. Blizzard has never before released such a dud and it takes time to sink in that's what this game was. Personally I was bored in D3 after clearing normal. That's what happens when you have a game revolve around loot, yet that loot is bland and boring.

that's because people are still hopeful of this game, that it might still live up to the "Diablo" name. Personally, i still play D3 maybe 2-3hours a weekto get my ARPG fix. But that's because i use a Macbook Air and the Mac version of TL2 isn't out yet. But when it comes out, i'll be lplaying it nonstop
Reply Quote
I have 3, Diablo 3 inferno players (all maxed out gear). I have 2 level 100 TL2 toons (both pimped out). The graphics are better in Diablo 3. The story is better in Diablo 3. The loot is better in TL2. The replay value is better in TL2. Class mechanics are better in TL2 (meaning the diversity of ways to play any of the classes). In terms of cool looking moves, Diablo 3 is slightly ahead. This is truely what it comes down too, what do you find more fun? A game that you can sit down blow stuff up and get loot that is a upgrade most of the time, or a game where you have to work harder to kill everything where the loot is terrible. No judgment on my part, there is a lot of fun in finally killing an elite pack after a long button mashing encounter. The enjoyment in that may be the reward, and the loot secondary. In my opinion, TL2 all around is a better game and costs 40 dollars less, with no sub. I still play D3, but the only time I do tbh is for a little extra cash for bills. This is simply my opinion on a stand alone game vs. game.

On a bigger scale, TL2 is everything Diablo and Diablo 2 where and more. I am an old gamer, who played both in there prime. Diablo 3? Abomination to the series. It is extremely obvious the actual diablo team did the best to put out a very good game. The only problem with that is, Activision controls Blizzard now, and went out of there way to make the game as micro transactioned as humanly possible. So what you end up with is a game that is barely good enough to continue subbing in hopes things will change, but in reality the only changes that are going to be made are how to stream line the micro transactions.

I will paraphrase a little something from the Pres. of Activison/Blizz. "We are not here to make fun games, we are here to make money"
Edited by Boondock#1711 on 10/3/2012 1:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]