Diablo® III

[Mechanics] Monk Spirit Generators

View profile
Druin, of the FoT runes does the spirit on crit one create the most spirit? Or does TC somehow magically create more spirit due to the AoE effect? I was unclear in your post. thx

Edit: better yet can you simply rank the best pure spirit generating runes top down? I'm working on a stun kick build and tons of spirit is the priority over damage or SW proc. thx again!

I use "stun kick" aka LTK-SS on MP 9 Ubers (can't quite kill Siegbreaker on MP 10) and find any of the spirit generators are viable with enough attack speed... LTK is pretty easy to spam at 30 (or less) spirit cost. Feel free to look at my profile.

However when I farm in a group, FoT-Quickening is the #1 spirit generator "most" of the time. IF you more often than not have a ton of mobs (probably more than 4), Crippling Wave-Rising Tide can pull ahead. But, realize FoT-Quickening is an "front" AoE on the third hit and that's 15 spirit PER connect whereas CW is always 5 spirit per connect with a "front" AoE on the first two hits and a 360 AoE on the third hit.

Ranking is probably something like this --->

1. FoT-Quickening
2. Crippling Wave-Rising Tide
3. Deadly Reach-Strike from Beyond
4. WotHF-Spirited Salvo
5. FoT-any other rune
Edited by blhotz#1823 on 3/13/2013 9:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
--Update 4/2/2013--

Well, it has been about 5 months since I wrote this thread and it is still as true today (minus FoT:Q's rise to greatness) as it was the day I wrote it.

The charts still point to FoT as the only viable spirit gen and Thunderclap is still BY FAR the most common rune for spirit gens.

With that in mind, I have taken the liberty to update this post with the following changes:
1. Small blurb in intro about 1.0.7 making FoT:Quickening viable.

2. Removed the proposed buff to Quickening in light of it being viable already.
Note: I decided to keep the teleport on first hit function so Quickening would see a buff regardless.

3. Updated Keen Eye's description to match the way it currently functions (only procs on third hit).
I also updated the recommendation to reflect its MUCH weaker current state. Honestly this rune is pretty worthless now. Sad day.

4. Made some grammatical and syntactical changes to CW:Rising Tide.

5. Reduced the proposed change to WotHF:Blazing Fists in light of it being competitive with DR:Foresight already. An increased level of IAS and movespeed would actually be overkill.
Reply Quote
Nice to see you updating this Druin. Even if the Dev's chose to go another route with the generators (or decide never to change a thing), this is still one of the best sources of info on how the generators currently work.
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 10:40 AMPosted by overg
Nice to see you updating this Druin. Even if the Dev's chose to go another route with the generators (or decide never to change a thing), this is still one of the best sources of info on how the generators currently work.

Thanks! :D

Someone linked it and I started reading it this morning and realized it is still totally relevant aside from the FoT:Q thing.

Kinda makes me sad when I remember how excited I was about my proposed changes ... it's been so long since I even payed attention to the spirit gen I was using I forgot what it was like to be optimistic about getting to use different ones!

Oh well ... maybe someday we will get to use more Spirit Gen runes! :D

#optimism
Reply Quote

Since this got necroed a bit, I am going to have go with an emphatic NO!!!!! to this proposed change.

:P

I will rescind this change until it is shown whether or not Nirvana is a bug.

Also, my proposed change to CW:Mangle would allow it to interact in exactly the same way with Infused with Light (I did consider this after Raahl posted his build ages ago).

If they decide Nirvana is a bug and fix it, I will maintain my stance that the DoT is a lame mechanic and should be changed. :D

I have zero interest in destroying your build though! I will update it for now.

<3

Edit: Fixed my atrocious grammar.

Edit2: Updated the guide with correct credits to you Fitz! <3
Edited by Druin#1518 on 4/2/2013 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Druin

Thanks! :D

Someone linked it and I started reading it this morning and realized it is still totally relevant aside from the FoT:Q thing.

Kinda makes me sad when I remember how excited I was about my proposed changes ... it's been so long since I even payed attention to the spirit gen I was using I forgot what it was like to be optimistic about getting to use different ones!

Oh well ... maybe someday we will get to use more Spirit Gen runes! :D

#optimism

I'm very sad about the state of generators as compared with the one TC to rule them all.

So many I'd like to use for fun factor, but it literally limits the difficulty I can play for my gear level. bummz. =(
Reply Quote
Hey Druin, haven't seen this thread in awhile!
though I don't agree with some of the changes,
it's good to see that the hopes for the change to spirit generator still exists. :)

I've also written a lore-style suggestion book for the generators, during the time when I wrote the Passive proposal book. Then I went insane and deleted both of 'em. @_@
I might post it one of these days after I return to the game, hehe.
Edited by LordRaahl#1733 on 4/3/2013 3:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
ur quite arragont Druin, but your contributions are greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
FoT gves u xtra atts spd thats why u getmore sprt
Reply Quote
I just gotta give this another bump in hopes that the Devs are going to prowl the forums after their weekend. Druin, any thoughts on these changes now that 1.08 is out? Static Charge seems pretty damn beastly with the changes to density. I believe at one point I had close to 20 monsters under its effects.

And just to clarify, do you know if an enemy hit with SC (not FoT itself) can proc a Cyclone?
Reply Quote
06/03/2013 06:28 AMPosted by Fitz
And just to clarify, do you know if an enemy hit with SC (not FoT itself) can proc a Cyclone?

No.

EDIT: The 5 sec debuff does not itself proc cyclones, but when you hit a debuffed monster the SC 37% damage procs cyclones on top of the cyclones the regular attack spawns.

Does that make sense?

That's what I meant with my question, yes. Looking back, I phrased it rather poorly.
Reply Quote
I just gotta give this another bump in hopes that the Devs are going to prowl the forums after their weekend. Druin, any thoughts on these changes now that 1.08 is out? Static Charge seems pretty damn beastly with the changes to density. I believe at one point I had close to 20 monsters under its effects.

Thanks for the bump RayvinAzn!

Honestly, I do not think much if anything has changed since I wrote this review ages ago.

Static Charge is better due to mob density but so is Thunderclap so, unless you are a pro at SC, it will be worse.

The uprising of Bells has led to a near-100% dominance by FoT:Q in high-end builds but this is just trading FoT:TC for FoT:Q and does nothing to fix the fact that the rest of our gens suck.

While I think the monk class has come a LONG way from the initial 1-spec-to-rule-them-all style of play, it has not done so through diversifying spirit generators.

Someday.
Reply Quote
The spirit gen problem would be solved if they just buffed the damage, attack speed, and proc rate of WothF.

:D

Here is a quick list of skills that disagree with your statement:
FoT:
Lighting Flash
Static Charge (maybe)
Bounding Light

DR:
All runes other than Foresight

CW:
Mangle
Concussion
Tsunami
Breaking Wave (maybe)

Needs moar help plx!
Reply Quote
I don't know if I'd call myself a "pro" with SC, but my very limited initial testing shows that I could very possibly be doing more damage (at least to trash mobs) with SC than TC. This is just based on a handful of timed MP7 COTA runs so far though, and the difference isn't quite as profound as I'd hoped.
Reply Quote
06/04/2013 01:45 PMPosted by RayvinAzn
I don't know if I'd call myself a "pro" with SC, but my very limited initial testing shows that I could very possibly be doing more damage (at least to trash mobs) with SC than TC. This is just based on a handful of timed MP7 COTA runs so far though, and the difference isn't quite as profound as I'd hoped.

Yup.

I did all the math and it works out to: very difficult to make SC > TC but the upper-end potential is actually pretty strongly in SC's favor.

SC has a more favorable AoE proc C because it has a 1.0 Proc C on both the single target hit AND the SC hit for attacks 1 and 2 which means if you have 5 targets affected by the SC debuff and hit a 6th target, both attacks 1 and 2 will have a total proc C of 6 * 1 = 6 while TC would only have 0.75*1 + 0.75 * 6 = 5.25.

That being said ... it really is MUCH harder to use!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]