Diablo® III

X-Com

Anybody here planning to play X-Com Enemy Unknown?
Reply Quote
I can't wait :).
Reply Quote
I pre-ordered from steam some 4 days ago.

@OP, I cant say this game will be great; I am buying because of "nostalgia" as DISP4TER had mentioned. I am a gamer born from xcom days so this game is very personal to me. I loved the original xcom series; i loved tactical games, im gonna love this game as well. I owned all of the original xcom series (EU, TFTD, Apoc, Interceptor) as well as the UFO:Aftermath series... other tactical games like JA2 as well. I am not fond of FPS games so i didnt buy the FPS versions (2 of them) of xcom.

If you love tactical games, you will love this game too.

But XCOM is a turn based game, many of you follks playing D3 and other REAL TIME games might NOT like this game. I suggest you to get the original XCOM demos and play to see if you'd like it.

@DISP4TER, to afford $50 xcom, you could just sell off some of your loots at RMAH. But if you dont plan to "immediately" play the game once it is out, waiting for it to drop in price is reasonable & wise.
Reply Quote
Already got it pre-ordered on steam.
Reply Quote
Im looking towards getting it at some point. The original years ago was fantastic and paved the way for many games. However sequels were always stuffed up badly so I am very hesitant to purchase another.

I so miss Turn Based Combat. Can be so much fun. Todays generation seem to look down on anything thats not real time or an MMO. A shame really.
Edited by OoieGooie#6595 on 9/22/2012 3:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
the demo is available and just got released TODAY! I am most likely going to buy it once i've enough $ to cash out of my RMAH savings :)
Reply Quote
View profile
The demo was way too short, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

However, I won't preorder it; I'm waiting to see what the game has to offer before I buy it, like how long the campaign is, if there's a skirmish mode, modding, replayability and all that jazz.
Reply Quote
The demo was way too short, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

However, I won't preorder it; I'm waiting to see what the game has to offer before I buy it, like how long the campaign is, if there's a skirmish mode, modding, replayability and all that jazz.

you mean wait for reviews to come? That's a good idea, but looking at d3's review, it makes me wonder...

unless it totally flops and get a horrid review, i would think you may need to decide for yourself. since i was a pretty hardcore xcom fan, i would probably enjoy it even if the game sucked.
Reply Quote
View profile
I didn't buy D3 because of reviews but because I liked my experience with the Starter Edition.

Being new to the X-COM franchise however, I'd like to know what a hardcore fan like you think of this new game so far. Does it do justice to the series or is it dumbing it down?
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/24/2012 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Okay, so I just got to see the live gameplay video commented by the devs and it looks extremely promising! I know it's a remake of UFO: Enemy Unknown, but it also reminds me a bit of Incubation.

Still, I won't preorder the game because the bonuses are lame and I have no interet in Civilization V.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/24/2012 7:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm extremely excited. I replayed the original a few months back and had a blast. The developers have a good handle on what I enjoyed about it, so the new version sounds very promising. Sure they're changing some things up, but their justifications sound reasonable so it could be for the best. And the debacle of the eternally-in-development FPS version makes me even more appreciative about what Firaxis has done. Easily my most highly anticipated game in a long time.

Going to hold off on playing the demo though. A half hour or tutorial driven gameplay will just make me impatient for the release date.
Reply Quote
View profile
What are the differences between the original game and the remake so far?
Reply Quote
The two most significant differences are the reduced squad sizes and replacing "Time Units" with a Move+Action system. They're what people will probably miss most about the original.

The old XCOM let you command up to 14 soldiers in a typical mission, and even more once you build the end-game aircraft. The new XCOM squad are only 4-6, which should make combat more manageable but individual deaths will be more costly and harder to recover from.

Time Units determined how many actions soldiers you take per turn. Everything consumed a certain amount. Walking two steps might consume 8 TUs. Firing a weapon might take 35% of your maximum. So you had to do some mental calculations to know how much your people could get done in one turn. The new game replaces TUs with a 1 Move + 1 Action per turn system. The up side is it's simpler to know what you can and can't get done. The down side is less flexibility. Now I cannot, for instance, take 3 steps into the open, fire at an enemy, then take four steps back to safe spot. The developers say the new system helps players think more on a squad level, instead of the individual level.

Other notable changes are the perk-style upgrades and class types for soldiers as they gain promotions, the much improved UIs and tutorials, custom maps instead of the more randomized-but-simpler maps of the original, and different mission types (defending your base is sadly out, but abduction missions, bomb defusals, VIP rescues and maybe more are in). The way funding nations drop out of the project, and the way this can lead to a loss condition, looks a lot better organized too. And the original didn't support multiplayer.
Reply Quote
View profile
Interesting.

So the devs have confirmed there won't be any mission where you will have to defend your base? Strange. You'd think that the aliens - whatever their real name is - would want to try striking their only opposition at the source at least once.

They said missions weren't randomized, yet the two Abduction missions featured in the demo are almost exactly the same save for some incredibly minor details.

Also, any idea how long the game is supposed to be?
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/25/2012 7:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, the problem with base defenses is now you only have one, so if you lose a base defense that's basically game over. In the original you build new bases, but most of these secondary bases only served two purposes - a radar outpost and a hangar or two for more Interceptors to shoot down UFOs. Now instead of these outpost bases you can add more satellite coverage (instead of building a radar) and I think you can still build Interceptor outpost, they just don't count as new bases. I read somewhere the aliens can shoot down your satellites so that's kind of like the way they used to destroy your old bases.

I don't know about the demo missions, but I'm not surprised the first couple missions are predictable because they're still easing you into the gameplay.

Not sure how long a playthrough takes. It's probably been covered in an interview but I don't remember where.
Reply Quote
View profile
09/25/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Zombie
Yeah, the problem with base defenses is now you only have one, so if you lose a base defense that's basically game over. In the original you build new bases, but most of these secondary bases only served two purposes - a radar outpost and a hangar or two for more Interceptors to shoot down UFOs. Now instead of these outpost bases you can add more satellite coverage (instead of building a radar) and I think you can still build Interceptor outpost, they just don't count as new bases. I read somewhere the aliens can shoot down your satellites so that's kind of like the way they used to destroy your old bases.

Aw shucks. A last stand type of mission inside your own base could have been really thrilling. :/

Oh well.
Reply Quote
the demo was disappointingly short. I haven't even get a hang of things yet, and it already ended. I don't remember much of the original, but the demo definitely has good reminiscence of a portion of it (being a demo), I hope to see more of the spookiness and depth that the original had. We shall see.

I am also not sure how they are going to handle the tutorial, i certainly wish its better than how it was shown in the demo, or perhaps you just have to learn by playing it....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]