Diablo® III

X-Com

View profile
Well, I thought the tutorial was pretty cool and immersive, but yeah, I hope there's going to be a way to skip it, as it may get annoying on later playthroughs.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/26/2012 12:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I just found out about this yesterday. I was a huge fan of TFTD, not so much the first and 3rd ones tho, don't remember their names. I read through this thread and the 1 move + 1 action thing seems really weird to me, I think I'd still prefer the time units. I guess I'll get used to it as I play more. I'll more than likely pick this game up solely for the nostalgia.
Reply Quote
09/26/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Random
I hope to see more of the spookiness and depth that the original had.

I sure hope so. The original is my pick for best gaming experience ever.
Reply Quote
Played the demo, and while short and easy, the gameplay seemed fun. I liked that you also control upgrade paths and perks given to soldiers as they advance.

While I never played the original I like turn-based strategy. Will be playing this when I get home today.
Reply Quote
now that the game is out, i've heard good reviews. this seems a pretty solid review, which shows 2 major draws on the game. probably not enough to break the game, and hopefully it'll get patched? but this is what you are signing up for. pretty sick eh?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/08/xcom-enemy-unknown-review

bad news is since the game got good review, i don't think it'll drop to the $30 range (my impulse buy point) any time soon, maybe 6+ months.
Reply Quote
10/03/2012 12:15 PMPosted by atinybug
I just found out about this yesterday. I was a huge fan of TFTD, not so much the first and 3rd ones tho, don't remember their names. I read through this thread and the 1 move + 1 action thing seems really weird to me, I think I'd still prefer the time units. I guess I'll get used to it as I play more. I'll more than likely pick this game up solely for the nostalgia.

Quite the opposite of my opinion. #1 and #3 rocked, and #2 was lackluster. I guess different games for different people.
Reply Quote
Should be an awesome game ,

The main issues is the maps arent randomised however alien placement is random so it should still offer a few playthroughs . 80 Maps is cool .

Also Dishonored is coming out tommorow which is a must have game .
Reply Quote
Got this up and running since yesterday, spent probably about 10 hours on it so far. I'm really liking it, turns out the 1 move + 1 action thing can sometimes be better than time units depending on what you're trying to do, like sprint a unit across the map to kill something another unit already tried to shoot at but missed. Also map elevation plays a much more noticeable role now, like if you stick a sniper on top of a building he's got near 100% accuracy and insane range.
Reply Quote
View profile
The PC controls are a bit awkward, it's a bit unpolished in a few places and the tutorial should be avoided at all costs (seriously). I decided to start a new game altogether (on Classic difficulty, no less) without the tutorial and now I'm having fun! Overall, it's pretty good so far.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 10/10/2012 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's not really all that hard, there's different difficulty settings. The learning curve is pretty easy on the easier settings.

After playing some more, one major gripe I have is the way they make the walls see-thru (or not see-thru) when you need to move units inside buildings. Sometimes it's really freaking hard to move where I want to inside buildings.
Reply Quote
View profile
Indeed, the game feels unpolished in a few places.
Reply Quote
It's sold out everywhere in town. I have to wait until next week to play :(.
Reply Quote
View profile
You don't want to buy it from Steam?
Reply Quote
I won't touch Steam with a 20 foot cattleprod. I couldn't be paid to use their service.

I just edited out all the reasoning. No need for it to be here. Suffice it to say there are serious reasons that go back years, and not going to change.
Edited by MrMagoo421#1314 on 10/11/2012 1:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
If you say so. Maybe you should take that opportunity to wait until the game gets a price drop; it's good, don't get me wrong, but like I said before, it could use some polish right now.
Reply Quote
haha whats funny is that it installs steam when you buy boxed version .
Reply Quote
View profile
Could be worse: GTA4 on Steam also came with GFWL and Rockstar Social Club. :P
Reply Quote
10/11/2012 04:24 PMPosted by Grailer
haha whats funny is that it installs steam when you buy boxed version .

My wife found it in an odd place. She got it home and I read that on the security sticker. Guess the box goes back to the store and I get it from an alternative source. To bad, I really wanted to support the company on this one.
Reply Quote
View profile
Playing it right now it's pretty good, I played the demo a month ago when it was released in September, the demo does not do the game justice.

I'd recommend skipping the demo and going straight for the full game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]