Diablo® III

Torchlight 2 is good.

First off, I am a huge fan of the diablo series. Diablo 2 stole most of my teen years so I don't want people to assume im a basher of Diablo 3.

Anyways to be honest i was super skeptic about playing torchlight 2. Diablo 3 for me was the most hyped up I've ever been for a game. My first play threw on my Witchdoctor I had a lot of fun, but now looking back, I think I just had so much fun because I was happy the wait was FINALLY over.

On Torchlight 2 the graphics aren't very good, and to be honest I didn't play the beta so I was going in the dark, I saw some videos on youtube, but that doesnt' really mean much. After about 15 hours on playing Torchlight 2 I realised that I am actually having real fun. The zones are massive, the loot is outstandingly done IE: I am almost always getting an upgrade, the music feels very diablo 2ish (which I love) it has talent trees, attribute points enchanting, gambling, gemstones and probably more than I have unlocked in the campaign yet.

I honestly think that Torchlight 2 as it is now, is better than Diablo 3, but on the other hand, every patch that Diablo 3 has put out is upping the quality of Diablo 3. So I think after a year or so Diablo 3 will be up to snuff with the ARPG's.

All in all, they are 2 similiar games but as it stands you'd be a fool to not spend 20 bucks on this game. I'll go back to Diablo 3 once i get bored or if there is nothing else to do in Torchlight 2...which at that point Diablo 3 would hopefully be smoothed out.

So what do you guys think? TL2 > D3?
Reply Quote
Having countless run on Act 3 and I am so bored with the damn loot. Only way for me to get upgrades for my toon is to use RMAH but I won't do that. Downloaded TL2 and I am actually having LOTS OF FUN. I think I will try to play both games, but right now TL2 is going to occupy all my gaming time.
Reply Quote
i agree, i honestly felt slightly guilty looking at the diablo 3 emblem on my desktop and clicking steam for TL2. it just doesn't do it for me anymore, TL2 is much much more fun. and honestly i hope that diablo 3 over patches and patches eventually becomes fun. but if the game is run around the RMAH, then i will not be returning.
Reply Quote
I have Torchlight 2 also and I enjoy it very much. I am a level 26 embermage and already have several unique gems am wearing a unique body armor which is also a set piece and a unique glove. All rares for the rest of my gear except helm right now bc the helm stats compliment focus spells more than any rares ive found so far. I like everything about the game. My only complaint about it is that sometimes when I'm moving around or am attacking etc. My character sometimes randomly stops. So I have to start clicking again to get back into it. I cant figure out if the game flow still needs to be smoothed out or if its part of the 'fumble' mechanic they have in the game. I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs.
Reply Quote
Yeah, they are going to fix that, and the loading screen issue, I guess a lot of peoples complaints are that the loading screens are a bit too long. IMHO the only movement issue I've had is attacking something near a ledge, sometimes my guy will walk to the ledge vice auto attacking the mob. I'm sure this stuff will get patched.
Reply Quote
I play both games currently, I'm about 10 hours into TL2 and its been fun. Diablo 3 feels more polished as expected but TL2 gives much more choice with my character. Anyway I hope the game is exceeds Runic's expectations, they made a good game so far.
Reply Quote
TL2 is fantastice. D3 can't hold a candle to it.
Reply Quote
It's not really fair to compare the loot and itemization in T2 to D3 after 15 hours when, looking at your profile, you've got a ton more hours in D3. Of course you're not getting upgrades on those level 60s as often as you do on your level 30 in T2. ;) That said here are a couple initial observations:

- pets > followers
- phase wolf > treasure goblin
Reply Quote
Truth is, TL2 is a great game, so is D3(even with its quirky loot BS). They are of the same genre but different games, both fun. I have been playing both and really enjoying them.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It's a great game, well worth the $20 - a bargain that price.

But it is flawed and we shouldn't look over those details. The combat is awful compared to D3 and it often takes away from the game.

The itemization is enjoyable and what one would expect if you were looking for a D2 successor.

I have a lot of fun killing things in D3 until I return to town for the third time, bags full of items, only to find nothing interesting.

I have a lot of fun finding upgrades and interesting items in TL2, until after about an hour and I get bored with the non-fluid and quirky combat.

Then I go play Borderlands 2.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
09/22/2012 08:31 PMPosted by AntonChigur
TL2 is fantastice. D3 can't hold a candle to it.

On combat it most certainly can. In fact, TL2 can't hold a candle to D3 in that regard.

Don't wax poetic about something that's clearly flawed. People here are so jaded by item drops, they're praising TL2 for that one single aspect over D3 when in fact TL2 has glaring issues with combat and overall polish.
Reply Quote
TL2 is fun, but D3 has more staying power. In the patches/expansions to come D3 will eventually become as renowned as D2 is.
Reply Quote
I'll be playing both. I too went into T2 in the dark. Same as the OP, I saw some Youtube videos. I didnt even play much of T1.

But, ya, I made an Engineer and I'm having a ton of fun with the guns. I already wanna make a second Engineer to go 100% Sword and Board and keep my first one all guns. So, already I have that feeling of longevity were I can make different builds of the same class like D2 with Frenzy barb / WW barb or bowazon / javazon etc... awesome. I dont even wanna play a different class in D3 that much cause it takes so long to find a good item, it seems like a waste of time to get my 38 WD to were my level 60 / 28 barb is ... So, without a full pros and cons post let me just say, I'll be playing some Torchlight 2 for sure.

One final thing, its new and easy to start to love at first, especially since it has a few things D3 has been missing, but, until end game, I think ppl should hold back final judgements, cause, actually, they can't say yet.
Edited by Fyle#1652 on 9/22/2012 8:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/22/2012 08:36 PMPosted by Fellows
On combat it most certainly can. In fact, TL2 can't hold a candle to D3 in that regard.

What are you talking about??? The combat is awesome! It is far more intense and skill driven than anything in D3.

I'll be playing both. I too went into T2 in the dark. Same as the OP, I saw some Youtube videos. I didnt even play much of T1.

But, ya, I made an Engineer and I'm having a ton of fun with the guns. I already wanna make a second Engineer to go 100% Sword and Board and keep my first one all guns. So, already I have that feeling of longevity were I can make different builds of the same class like D2 with Frenzy barb / WW barb or bowazon / javazon etc... awesome. I dont even wanna play a different class in D3 that much cause it takes so long to find a good item, it seems like a waste of time to get my 38 WD to were my level 60 / 28 barb is ... So, without a full pros and cons post let me just say, I'll be playing some Torchlight 2 for sure.

One final thing, its new and easy to start to love at first, especially since it has a few things D3 has been missing, but, until end game, I think ppl should hold back final judgements, cause, actually, they can't say yet.

Sword and board is totally awesome, perhaps even OP, from my experience. The crazy stuns dealt out with shield bash and the huge amounts of charge it generates combined with overcharge is pretty insane. It is a ton of fun!
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 9/22/2012 8:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]