Diablo® III

Torchlight 2 is good.

85 Blood Elf Paladin
09/22/2012 08:48 PMPosted by MountainMan
Look, people might complain that Diablo 3 is too stingy, but Torchlight 2 is overly generous, like an all-you-can-eat dessert bar. It's fun at first, but it very quickly becomes too much of a good thing and you quickly burn out on it. Personally, I prefer Diablo 3 because getting that great drop remains an exciting experience even after a couple hundred hours of play.

Play on a harder difficulty level.

This is a different take from most ARPGs, and it's a problem I fell into on the regular TL1, but the game is radically different on 'elite' and above difficulty. Anything less and itemization is trivialized because you plow through enemies. At harder difficulties, you have to start looking for specific rolls and putting together sets.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Rogue
so much TL2>D3 :,) i love this thread. Best one ive seen in months. Just wanna point out
Polished game mechanics > Polished art

Torchlight 2 gm> D3 Gm (really is get over it)

D3 art>>>>>>>>TL2 but again gameplay>graphics :)
Reply Quote
09/22/2012 08:42 PMPosted by Ultima
TL2 is fun, but D3 has more staying power. In the patches/expansions to come D3 will eventually become as renowned as D2 is.

to be honest, this is what i want, its just unfortunate that I have to wait 6-12 months for a game I've been waiting for like 8 years to... be fun? Seems totally backward in my opinion, but I shall wait.

It will happen eventually. D2 wasn't God in a day. It took many patches and an expansion. D3 is headed in the right direction.
Edited by TooHighToDie#1428 on 9/22/2012 8:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
T2 combat is fine.

Ya, D3 is a bit more polished.

so what ?
Reply Quote
09/22/2012 08:55 PMPosted by jpar
Hate d3 --> get called troll

to call d3 when the developers worked their butt off garbage is beyond disrespectful IE: troll.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Confirming what? A bug that I never encountered? I never was speaking in terms of technical regards. From the very beginning I was addressing it from a design/gameplay perspective which I still stand by completely. Technical issues are a moot point in the age of downloadable patches.

D3 was criticized for its technical issues at launch, they're hardly a moot point.

Runic has been fighting the combat fluidness since beta, it seems to be very problematic for them. I feel the same as you in that they'll eventually patch it and get it right, but for right now it is an issue with the game.

It does so many other things right though it's easy to look past.
Edited by Fellows#1764 on 9/22/2012 8:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
[quote="66777973132"]
It will happen eventually. D2 wasn't God in a day. It took many patches and an expansion. D3 is headed in the right direction.

This is an invalid argument in a sense because...

Blizz should have learned from all those patches. People act like D3 was started from scratch. Well, yes and no. Whilst it isn't D2, there are certain things they needed to learn from d2 to patch it as time went on that they don't need to RE-learn. They should have MOST of that knowledge already BECAUSE of all the patches they applied to D2...

does that make sense ?? they didnt make D3 knowing nothing about those patches in d2. Apperently they forgot about ladders and a few gem types and PVP and they had to relearn about a general chat right.

while i agree, yes, it is headed in the right direction, it feels like it is because its being forced by upset players and competition (GW2, T2, POE), not because Blizz seems to know what they are doing. so, yes, the changes are basically good, but, we'll see how long it takes them to get it right while more players start playing other games and more of your items sit up on the AH unsold as a result.
Reply Quote
09/22/2012 08:57 PMPosted by Fellows
Confirming what? A bug that I never encountered? I never was speaking in terms of technical regards. From the very beginning I was addressing it from a design/gameplay perspective which I still stand by completely. Technical issues are a moot point in the age of downloadable patches.

D3 was criticized for its technical issues at launch, they're hardly a moot point.

Runic has been fighting the combat fluidness since beta, it seems to be very problematic for them. I feel the same as you in that they'll eventually patch it and get it right, but for right now it is an issue with the game.

It does so many other things right though it's easy to look past.

They are hardly moot when playing the game is so critically dependent on them. The hitbox bug is not such a situation.

Combat as whole though in its design though is simply good, it is what you would expect from a game about cutting through hordes of monsters and feeling powerful. It does this really well, D3 doesn't but having fewer technical issues doesn't make it more entertaining.

Gameplay >> technical polish. One can be easily fixed in a patch, the other not so much.
Reply Quote
I was in a TL2 dungeon and behold it actually had a puzzle where i had to pull levers to move force fields to get to certain areas.........
Diablo..... No puzzles

Secret rooms...TL2
Diablo.......No Secret rooms

Pet/Companion usefull......TL2
Diablo.... Useless after hell

Skeleton boss with Shield.....Have to break all shields...TL2
Diablo stand still and hit them and or Kite.

I love D3 and Ill be back after the beta but your an idiot not to spend 20 on TL2 and play both

Oh and TL2 auto sort that works Inventory and Stash
Edited by SimpleSiren#1146 on 9/22/2012 9:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Torchlight 2 is a solid hack and slash in my opinion.I'm finding pretty good loot,if I find something that could be useful I'll try add a couple of enchantments and see what happens,it can turn a decent piece into a great piece.The game is just straight up fun unlike Diablo 3 which felt like work.

Torchlight 2 user score 9.2 on metacritic
Diablo 3 user score 3.8 lol
Edited by Bluddflagg#6648 on 9/22/2012 9:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/22/2012 08:53 PMPosted by TooHighToDie

to be honest, this is what i want, its just unfortunate that I have to wait 6-12 months for a game I've been waiting for like 8 years to... be fun? Seems totally backward in my opinion, but I shall wait.

The problem for the D3 dev team is that the brains behind D1 and D2 have left. Two of the three main brains are behind TL2 and have all of the practical experience needed to not screw up in the first place. The D3 devs have a big hill to climb because as far as they are concerned they are working on their own "Diablo 1" and have the experience to match.

D3 might get there eventually but they are likely to remain miles behind what others in the industry can do and it will be virtually impossible to catch up when they remain so disconnected from their community and refuse to acknowledge much of the intelligent discussion and debate from those who are more experienced in the genre on the gaming side. The "You don't remember Diablo" mentality will have to go before they can make serious inroads to progress.
Reply Quote
http://oi48.tinypic.com/2csdhdw.jpg
Reply Quote
09/22/2012 09:11 PMPosted by Miraa
http://oi48.tinypic.com/2csdhdw.jpg

Nothing familiar about the map on the right ;)
Reply Quote
TL2 is just more fun and we don't have to worry about the greedy devs nerfing our chars - it finally feels good to be powerful and the social aspect in torchlight 2 is wayyy better!
Reply Quote
kudos for TL2 having massive quality drops... but that's not fun for me. They will grab people's attention for the first 30 hours of their play experience, and people will enjoy remaking virgin characters there (playing only with the loot they find).

But after that, it will get old quick.
Reply Quote
kudos for TL2 having massive quality drops... but that's not fun for me. They will grab people's attention for the first 30 hours of their play experience, and people will enjoy remaking virgin characters there (playing only with the loot they find).

But after that, it will get old quick.

Old like D2 right? Haha!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]