Im so sick of people bagging out games being "cartoonish". You play computer games! You play female elves and talking cows and goblins! Soon pandas!
Here are some "cartoonish" games for you...
1. Teamfortress2. Only the best FPS game out there (to me anyway, but you can't deny how big that game is. Its still going after all these years with tons of fans). The game is polished and amazing.
2. Orks Must Die 1 and 2: It may not last as long as an MMO but the fun factor is so high it will make your brain bleed from pure game awesomeness. I don't care if some people finish it in a day! The fun is just ... wow!
3. Dungeon Defenders: The gameplay is crazy fun, especially with friends and even addictive. This was a cheap game built around an amazing campaign of levels designed for a bit of fun for a few hours of enjoyment. Guess what? It went crazy popular. People are addicted to this thing. Haven't heard of it? Go buy it, play the campaign. What you do after that is up to you.
4. Trine 1 and 2: Not super cartoony but many would say it is. Look, a platform game! Yeah, you may not play it after a week but again, the fun factor is massive and its such a dream to play. Beautiful game.
5. Borderlands. More of a comic look then cartoony but close enough. Yet those bashing TL2 are going to that game. What? Seriously? Personally I found the first one boring but I like the art style they chose. Its different and good on them.
6. World of Warcraft. Yeah, you may hate it now but the game is huge. In fact, its the biggest game in history. Oh, look, the graphics are so "real"... not. Hate it or love it its "cartoony".
TL2 is a beautiful game. The graphics are smooth and easy to look at. The hud is minimal so you can take it all in while bashing faces.
Now compare all these games together and you will notice they don't all look the same. Why is that? Its because they all have their own art style. Its not about colour, its how the character look. Check out the characters in Star Craft and WoW. Are their hands normal size? A game needs more then pretty colours to be "cartoony". Now go watch some Bugs Bunny and you might work out what Im talking about.
In regards to TL2 being better then D3, thats personal opinion. But consider the following:
--Mobs, Elites, Bosses, BIG BOSSES. Nearly every random dungeon has a Boss. Thats cool. Monsters shoot rockets, spells and all kinds of crazy stuff that fill up the screen, chases you and makes you run away laughing cause' its so cool. D3 the elites just spam you with their crazy affix combo's over and over. I like the Elites, but they really need some balancing and tweaking BIG TIME. Even then, TL2 just has... more! And even if you get your butt handed to you, you still get a good fight at least.
--Secret area's. Haven't found one yet? Thats because they're not on the minimap.
--Big chests of loot. Yeah D3 has them IF you actually find one.
--Locked chests. You actually need a key for these. But once you find one its very exciting. Just adds a little bit of flavor to the chase.
--BIG bosses. Not as shiny to look at as the D3 ones but there are sooo many. D3 has 4. Also, these bosses actually drop good stuff. Not in every dungeon though in TL2.
TL2 also has lots of mobs. You don't have to run far to find some to kill. This makes D3's Normal, Nightmare and Hell look like an empty football field (well, not really but you get it).
Character creation system: Very different to D3 so its personal opinion here. I like both systems but its nice that this one is different. However because you don't get told what to take as a skill, you can create new characters all the time. Why have two Barbarians? Theres no real point to doing it. But it is nice to have at least one.
Always something to do!!!
++In D3 you have the same dull linear quest lines over and over and over and over. You know whats going to happen and where to go. Worse, you know no matter what you do nothing is going to improve. There is very little reward in playing D3. I like the combat, thats why I still play it. But thats it and even then that will last about an hour.
++TL2 is randomized and theres LOTS of randomized stuff. Even outdoor area's. Throw in fishing, random wolves that portal you to more random zones and games, tons of monsters, bosses and on top of that you have the loot.
LOOT... Yes, there is a lot of it. But the game has so much fighting, randomness, little events and bosses (I could go on) loot is the icing on the cake. D3 is about loot. TL2 is about loot, character customization and killing tons of stuff in many, MANY different ways in zones that are ... randomized! I love that word. I thought D3 was going to have randomized maps like D1 and D2. That in itself is a just shocking.
Leveling up - This hit me the other day. I actually had NO idea what level I was. Why? I was having fun. I didn't care what level I was and I was in NO hurry to get to end game. In fact, I started another character just to see if I would have as much fun. The game really starts to take off around level 15 so if you don't get to that, shame on you.
So play TL2 for 10 min and quit. Too bad for you. I was a little skeptical too and bought it for the hell of checking it out. Its actually pretty good. I don't play more then an hour or 2 a day so far but its fun. FUN!! Nothing feels like a grind. Ever. There is always something to do.
I like D3. But its not that fun. It feels like work sometimes. Blizzard need to wake up and realize that having loot 10 levels lower then you, having drops so rare most people never see them and the lack of 'things to do' is killing the game.
Bring back randimized map. Pi** off the linear bad storys. Add more features in dungeons so we dont rush to the end. Stop the grind.
Story -- TL2 doesnt really have one. They hired a writer to just throw one in but even they said its not that big of a deal. Do you know how awesome that is? When you play a game over and over the last thing you want is to go through the same damn story. Its like reading a comic book 100 times. You just want to throw it away. Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay, loot, killing, exploring, random zones, more gameplay etc.. Bring it. Screw story. I want my D1 and D2 random maps where I could start a new character and just jump into a dungeon. Thats it.
TL2 has been out less then a week. Its far more perfect then most games released on their first day. Even D3 has had tons of patches\updates\whatever and it still needs so much work its scary. TL2, as it is is fun, not grindy and best of all, no stupid !@# auction house.
Ok Im off to bed. Tomorrow, Im gunna play D3 for a tad as the Barb is kinda cool. Then Im playing TL2 for a few hours. Then Im gunna play some Orks Must Die2 (if I have time).
Thanks for trying Blizz. But a beta is a beta. A good beta, but a beta non the less.
Edited by OoieGooie#6595 on 9/24/2012 4:57 AM PDT