Diablo® III

Metacritic.. D3 88/3.8 vs. TL2 90/9.2

I thought the D3 fanbois said people only go to metacritic and complain about games, which is why D3 got such a low user rating. Wasn't that the argument?

Funny how TL2 has both a higher reviewer rating, and a higher user rating...
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage
I don't think it's fair to finalize this score. Perhaps we should wait a few months or at least some people reached the end game of TL2 to justify the metacritic score. Don't want to be bias or overhyped. Learnt from the mistake of D3. ^_^
Reply Quote
I dont consider this finalized, but we are comparing scores from the same time frame, a few days after release.

I do like D3, but it has a LONG ways to go before I will play it on a regular basis. As it is now, I play it maybe one or two hours every week or two.

I am not a fan of the art style in TL2 (or D3 for that matter) but I can get used to it. But the gameplay is so much more fluid and fast paced in TL2. The loot is done right, and the character customization is there. If TL2 was made in art style of D2 (updated is course) it would be hands down the better game for the genre.
Reply Quote
VS d2 an 88/86
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage
but D2 has more positive user reviews than...
Reply Quote
09/22/2012 08:16 AMPosted by Gunghoe
VS d2 an 88/86

Seems about right to me. I view TL2 as an extension of the vision set forth in D2 and the design really shows. Combat is more fluid, the skill system is both more flexible and more forgiving, the item system is better right out of the gate, and the stat system is more open ended and balanced. Basically TL2 is a big step forward from D2 which is exactly what I would expect from a game that came out more than a decade following it. It shows that the years and experience from the past can be applied to build a better product in the hands of those who care about the game. D3 really missed the mark in that regard.
Reply Quote
I thought the D3 fanbois said people only go to metacritic and complain about games, which is why D3 got such a low user rating. Wasn't that the argument?

Torchlight 2 user score (the only one that matters): 9.2

Diablo 3 user score (the only one that matters): 3.8

Although, Torchlight 2's score will most likely go down a bit when more thorough / serious players have played the game and are ready to rate it.

I "guess" it will end on 8.2 - 8.6.
Edited by Frostraven#1952 on 9/22/2012 9:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
To be fair to D3, TL2 is having some serious bottleneck issues that cause tons of jitter for those with more than 4 cores atm. I move in TL2 and the screen keeps jumping back while i move which atm makes the game unplayable for me, cause it makes me sick.

There are plenty of issues atm, but I can at least play the game without an internet connection. So that is a major plus for me.
Reply Quote
To be fair to D3, TL2 is having some serious bottleneck issues that cause tons of jitter for those with more than 4 cores atm. I move in TL2 and the screen keeps jumping back while i move which atm makes the game unplayable for me, cause it makes me sick.

There are plenty of issues atm, but I can at least play the game without an internet connection. So that is a major plus for me.

I have 8 cores and the game runs flawlessly for me.

Core i7 2630QM, GTX 560M 3GB, 16GB Ram, 160GB SSD
Reply Quote
I can't really take metacritic user scores seriously. The ones I've read always had, "I played the game for a few hours..." or "I haven't even got the game yet and it's already better than D3". I want to hear the opinions of the people who have gone through the game, reached high levels, and see how the "end game" content holds up. If that "end game" content is just rerolling a different character and trying a different build, then you can count me out.
Reply Quote
Oh god, we're still using Metacritic as a "see, I told you so"? Does anyone actually read the reviews before they use this as a source? It doesn't take a detective to see how terribly bad D3 got trolled the first week on Metacritic. Short reviews like, "I can't log on, the game sucks, no offline mode" where the review has absolutely nothing to do with the actual gameplay and any review with a shred of positivity got downvoted into oblivion. Yeah, the launch was rough, but let me ask you this: How many people did TL2 have logging into their servers at launch compared to D3's? Probably around, "not even close."
Reply Quote
...but let me ask you this: How many people did TL2 have logging into their servers at launch compared to D3's? Probably around, "not even close."

Let me ask you this.. How many millions of the pre-orders were based on the fact that it was a Diablo 2 squeal? D3 did not sell on its own merit by any means, and it let down a huge number of people by not staying true to the series.
Reply Quote
09/22/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Begaria
I can't really take metacritic user scores seriously. The ones I've read always had, "I played the game for a few hours..." or "I haven't even got the game yet and it's already better than D3". I want to hear the opinions of the people who have gone through the game, reached high levels, and see how the "end game" content holds up. If that "end game" content is just rerolling a different character and trying a different build, then you can count me out.

And yet the reviewer scores are still higher...

I am not hating on D3, see my posts above.. I am hating on the people who claimed "no one rates a game unless they hate it" or "the people who like the game are actually playing it and dont bother reviewing it".

Like it or not, user scores mean a lot more than anything else.
Reply Quote

Thankfully I'm not experiencing that with my 8 cores.
Reply Quote
kweagle, don't try to reason with fanbois.

If they had TL2 and played it legitimately and turned up the music it would be an easy win. However THOSE former D3 players will forget to come back to post saying so because they're all too busy with their uniques and rare set items and having FUN customizing their character.

All you're going to read here is people still clinging to the D3 has to be great because xyz when I've already inspected other posts by other accounts with 500+ hours and 6 max levels admitting that they're having more fun with TL2 than they ever had with D3.

Denial is a hard thing to witness, but you can always just pay 20 bucks for TL2 instead.
Edited by Bismarck on 9/22/2012 11:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Torchlight 2 based on 16 Critics
Diablo 3 based on 86 Critics

More than 3 times of the people have reviewed D3, So you really cant compare, the first week Diablo 3 had a 96.

For those who dont understand math, it's because the review's haven't averaged yet

http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/torchlight-ii-J105556.html?pf=pc-160001
For example gave TL2 a 6/10, yet it has yet to show up on metacritic., Once that goes live, it will drop a point or two.
Edited by Erazer#1833 on 9/22/2012 6:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/22/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Begaria

What is this "end game" business? What genre did you come from? The MMO crowd I suppose. ARPGs traditionally never had an "end game." The concept was shoe horned into D3 because of the conception they developed for the character and skill system since they fundamentally misunderstand what it means to be an RPG. TL2 understands this point and it shows in the fun, exciting gameplay. The game itself is fun and that alone is enough to get people to come back and roll new characters.

Maybe you are too young but D2 made much of its life off character rerolling. You didn't honestly think everyone who ever played D2 for a decade did so with the same 7 characters did you? I've made 100+ characters because that is the very nature of ARPGs. I think you are looking at it from a D3 viewpoint but that is fundamentally flawed with respect to the genre as a whole.
Reply Quote

What is this "end game" business? What genre did you come from? The MMO crowd I suppose. ARPGs traditionally never had an "end game." The concept was shoe horned into D3 because of the conception they developed for the character and skill system since they fundamentally misunderstand what it means to be an RPG. TL2 understands this point and it shows in the fun, exciting gameplay. The game itself is fun and that alone is enough to get people to come back and roll new characters.

Maybe you are too young but D2 made much of its life off character rerolling. You didn't honestly think everyone who ever played D2 for a decade did so with the same 7 characters did you? I've made 100+ characters because that is the very nature of ARPGs. I think you are looking at it from a D3 viewpoint but that is fundamentally flawed with respect to the genre as a whole.

No endgame means no reason to play after a few times. What's the point of doing the same old content over and over and over again?
Edited by Eigenscape#6207 on 9/23/2012 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Careful now, the kids who have invested into this game with their credit cards and defend Blizzard's every action will go and make bad user reviews for TL2. Let's avoid that and not make threads like this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]