Diablo® III

I don't understand the RMAH hate.

Do people just have short memories? Are the vast majority of "Die hard D2 players" just lying about their extensive experience in that game?

I don't use the RMAH, and I don't plan to. Maybe if I get some super-awesome-amazing item for a class I don't like, I might try and make a few bucks off it, but it just doesn't affect my gameplay in any way.

I just don't understand why people keep hating on Blizzard for putting the RMAH in. People will buy and sell gold and items for real money regardless of whether the RMAH is in: why would you begrudge Blizzard wanting to actually facilitate that themselves and make some cut of it, at the same time utterly crippling the spammy third party gold and item sellers?
Edited by DaystarEld#1692 on 9/22/2012 5:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have been alternating between D3 and TL1/TL2, yet I haven't used the RMAH once nor do I feel penalized for doing so. I also didn't feel like I am getting better gear more often in Torchlight: most of the stuff I use comes from merchants or is improved by gems and enchantments while the rest gets sold. I did use the GAH several times in D3, but that was mostly for the sake of experimenting.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/22/2012 6:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Had Diablo 3 been a different game, it might of gathered a different response. For example, I don't see Guild Wars 2 getting a lot of criticism for using a similar pricing model (ie. you pay once, then can optionally pay more later for gold and gear). Maybe that's because it's significantly cheaper than WoW.

But if you compare what Diablo 3 actually is (predominantly single-player) to other games in its class, you're not really getting much bang for your buck and that's not even taking into account the deficiencies that didn't exist in its prequel.

Diablo 3 simply did not become the MMO it was designed to be and RMAH is a constant reminder of that. It's a remnant of an idea that never transpired and of a game that never was.
Reply Quote
it's supposed to replace p2p. giving you b2p. but in the sense of pay to win for PvE or grind for hours on end testing your endurance to beat inferno. lol normal -> nightmare->hell -> RM auctionhouse.

but i mean if you had sense you would reocgnize you've beaten d3 after normal difficulty anyways.
Reply Quote
I used to be against the online DRM and that's why I was initially withholding my purchase... then PoE changed my mind about it. I know it's F2P, but it doesn't change the fact that there's no offline single-player option either. If an indie game can get away with it, I don't see why D3 couldn't.

And again, been playing TQ and both TL for a few months, but I have yet to witness the avalanche of awesome loot haters claim Blizzard is intentionally preventing with the RMAH.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/23/2012 7:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage
Blizzard just wants to earn some money. With D3's released, this is a potential threat to WoW, with players from WoW will move over to D3. So to sustain a cash flow for Bliizard, D3 came up with the AH/RMAH and the gameplay/loot system to revolves around that. The money grabbing for SC2 is more subtle/hidden than WoW and D3, what the SC community didn't notice is why Blizzard announced Wings of Liberty and 2 expansion up front. Normally expansions are released to fix bugs and patches or because the core game is successful and wanted to expand further on that. But, 2 expansions were announced even before the core game was released? SC2 and 2 expansions were announced in Blizzcon 2010, around the same year of the merger with Activision. Coincidence?
Reply Quote
You don't seem to understand why the RMAH exists and how it affects the game. The entire game mechanics has been revamped from D2 since all the items right now have flat stats and no special effects associated. The skill system is dull and offers hardly any variance in builds. All of this to make items easy to distinguish and add a price tag to it. Everything in the game is a gear check and you need gears to get better gears.

You can't even dodge melee mobs once they have started attacking, is it even Diablo anymore?
Reply Quote
the RMAH is a game within itself, or at least can be. I'm intrigued how it will develop. However, blizz does have quite an extensive amount of experience with hardcore wow players keeping that economy in line, so I think it potentially could become more interesting as more folks opt into that system.
Reply Quote
it's supposed to replace p2p. giving you b2p. but in the sense of pay to win for PvE or grind for hours on end testing your endurance to beat inferno. lol normal -> nightmare->hell -> RM auctionhouse.

but i mean if you had sense you would reocgnize you've beaten d3 after normal difficulty anyways.

Why in the hell would we need to give blizzard more money after the millions of sales they had at $60 each. No one wanted the online DRM so that should be up to blizzard to support. Not our wallets.

This is not an MMO its an ARPG even though obviously blizzard tried to make it one.

This game should not be P2P or B2P. we already paid 4 times the amount of a monthly WoW subscription

just sayin that's the idea behind it.

why else would it be there? lol
"to remove botters and sellers and black market tradings and keep players safe"
yeah more like a ploy of a cash grab which on a business sense makes sense.
15% off each selling effectively if a person buys items from the AH of about 10$ and they get 15% of that cut its practically 1.5$ each 10 transactions and you have a WoW subscription for the month or in D3's terms game play for a month in inferno before you ragequit or go check the AH again. plus WoW had the initial fee of 59.99 as well in the beginning until reduced
Reply Quote
09/23/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Sharidori
Normally expansions are released to fix bugs and patches or because the core game is successful and wanted to expand further on that. But, 2 expansions were announced even before the core game was released? SC2 and 2 expansions were announced in Blizzcon 2010, around the same year of the merger with Activision. Coincidence?

Coincidence. I don't see Blizzard charging $15 for map packs and all. Had SC2 been released as a single game, we would have been getting much shorter, less diverse campaigns, and Blizzard would have had less opportunies to rework multiplayer and optimize the game.

Also, expansions to fix bugs? *That* would be scandalous.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/23/2012 1:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/23/2012 01:13 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
Coincidence. I don't see Blizzard charging $15 for map packs and all.

Don't act as if they didn't want to do this in some way. It is "Activision-Blizzard"...
Reply Quote
Your paranoia doesn't change the fact that Blizzard has yet to charge for DLCs and map packs, release the same game every year and make the PC version of their games mere console ports.

Also, Vivendi (Blizzard's owner) owns Activision, not the other way around.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/23/2012 3:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I used to be against the online DRM and that's why I was initially withholding my purchase... then PoE changed my mind about it. I know it's F2P, but it doesn't change the fact that there's no offline single-player option either. If an indie game can get away with it, I don't see why D3 couldn't.

And again, been playing TQ and both TL for a few months, but I have yet to witness the avalanche of awesome loot haters claim Blizzard is intentionally preventing with the RMAH.

By your own argument, because TL2 had offline mode, a game like D3 would be successful with it.

Your paranoia doesn't change the fact that Blizzard has yet to charge for DLCs and map packs, release the same game every year and make the PC version of their games mere console ports.

Also, Vivendi (Blizzard's owner) owns Activision, not the other way around.

Doesn't change the fact that companies under the control of Vivendi did such things as charge for DLC for games not branded "Blizzard."

[edit for misplaced quotes]
Edited by CRescent3#1284 on 9/23/2012 5:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/23/2012 05:43 PMPosted by CRescent3
By your own argument, because TL2 had offline mode, a game like D3 would be successful with it.

Probably, but PoE made me realize it's nowhere as bad as haters are making it to be.

Doesn't change the fact that companies under the control of Vivendi did such things as charge for DLC for games not branded "Blizzard."

Which is why attempts at associating Blizzard with Activision's evil business practices are BS.

Take a look at a copy of Modern Warfare 3: Activision has its name on it but not Blizzard. Now, do the same with Diablo III/Wings of Liberty and tell me which company has its name on the box.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/23/2012 6:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Path of Exile.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]