Diablo® III

Question about summoned range nerf

From the 1.0.5 patch notes:
Followers, pets, and summoned creatures will no longer attack enemies that are in an idle state unless the player is within 10 yards of the enemy.

This is a bit of a bummer. My wizard likes deploying Hydra up ahead to scout for monsters. Does the nerf apply to this skill, or only to other followers/pets? This was a fun part of my battle tactics and now I have to walk right up to 'em to get 'em with Hydra?
Edited by DatAxe#1578 on 9/26/2012 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Anyone who's played the PTR, can you tell me whether Hydra is affected?

If it is...some justification from Blizzard would be in order. Hydra is a ranged skill that you can deploy far away, unlike most summons and minions that appear at your feet by default.
Reply Quote
Dang, nobody knows?
Reply Quote
This is a nerf? Come on, man. For us WD's this is music to my ears.

Never thought about your tactic though, I'd imagine it would be effected though.
Edited by Dolla#1443 on 9/27/2012 8:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Do those enemies count as idle? I know the change was mostly because of treasure goblins but you make a good point. I also tend to use my hydra as a sort of scout.
Edited by illundreal#1735 on 9/27/2012 8:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizz, care to enlighten us? Or somebody who's played the 1.0.5 PTR?
Reply Quote
This is a nerf? Come on, man. For us WD's this is music to my ears.

Never thought about your tactic though, I'd imagine it would be effected though.

I can see why that would actually be a good thing for WD, so your zombie dogs don't run off and get theyselves killed. Maybe that was the intent and I interpreted it as a nerf due to HYdra....which I HOPE is not affected :) THAT would be music to my ears.
Reply Quote
i dont think hydra's are classifyed as creatures... i asume they mean the ones that show up beside your icon, such as followers and WD pets.. as well as summoned creatures from weapons and procs..

I've never played a wiz, but do hydra's show up that way for you on your screan? if not i think its safe to say they are uneffected.
Reply Quote
i dont think hydra's are classifyed as creatures... i asume they mean the ones that show up beside your icon, such as followers and WD pets.. as well as summoned creatures from weapons and procs..

I've never played a wiz, but do hydra's show up that way for you on your screan? if not i think its safe to say they are uneffected.

they don't but they're still classified as pets. Just like demon hunter bats, spiders, etc.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Good news everyone! (Imagine I said that like Farnsworth from Futurama.)

I spoke with one of our designers and he confirmed that summoned stationary "pets" which behave more like spells -- i.e. Hydras and Sentry Turrets -- will not be affected by this change. They will continue to attack targets as normal.

This change primarily affects followers, quest NPCs, and mobile pets like Gargantuans, Zombie Dogs, and demon hunter Companions.
Reply Quote

I spoke with one of our designers and he confirmed that summoned stationary "pets" which behave more like spells -- i.e. Hydras and Sentry Turrets -- will not be affected by this change. They will continue to attack targets as normal.

This change primarily affects followers, quest NPCs, and mobile pets like Gargantuans, Zombie Dogs, and demon hunter Companions.

I actually heard Hubert's voice!
Reply Quote
Witch Doctor pets are good now, better nerf it!
Reply Quote
When I saw the "Good News Everyone!" I was like, "They are finally releasing the patch!?" But I guess thats a big negative ghostrider. When will the patch come out? Beta was pretty sweet.
Reply Quote

Actually, I heard Professor Putricide. Nobody loves poor Professor Putricide :(
Reply Quote
Professor Putricide.
Reply Quote

I'd rather you said it like Farnham the drunk...More applicable to this setting ;)

"You drink WATER?"
Edited by CosmicFire#1339 on 9/27/2012 8:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I'd rather you said it like Farnham the drunk...More applicable to this setting ;)

"You drink WATER?"

Funny you should say that because I'm playing Diablo I right now and talking to Farnham just for kicks..Sooo saaad ...Sooo saaad...I would be playing D3 more often if they took the WoW crap out of it and made it Diablo again. If they keep FUBARing it ill just quit like everyone else( except the WoWablo fan boyz of course.)
Edited by Kaballa#1523 on 9/27/2012 8:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
23 Gnome Rogue
09/27/2012 06:22 PMPosted by Lylirra
Good news everyone!

Love the Farnsworth reference! Thanks for the clarification, too!
Reply Quote

I lol'd. A Blue made a funny! :D
Reply Quote

So ducking adorable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]