Diablo® III

Diablo 3 = 3.8 vs TL2 = 9.2

Metacritic Scores

Diablo 3 (Release Date: May 15, 2012)
Metascore = 88 (86 critics)
user score = 3.8 (6605 users)
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

VS

Torchlight 2 (Release Date: Sep 20, 2012)
Metascore = 90 (28 critics)
user score = 9.2 (576 users)
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/torchlight-ii

================================

Winner?
Edited by PowerCosmic#1489 on 9/25/2012 8:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
butthurt mouth breathers flock to metacritic to vent their angst, nothing new here
Reply Quote
Obviously the trolls and angry mob hit Diablo 3 hard on metacritic. D3 in no way deserves a 3.8, but I will say its obvious TL2 is in general a better experience than D3 (for me, people I know and aRPG fans all over). I'd say if all the user ratings were objective, TL2's would definitely come out on top, but not to that degree lol.
Reply Quote
Dear Jay Wilson and David Brevik, I reserve this space in this posting for you to post your thoughts and opinions on this grand battle that is......

**** D3 VERSUS TL2 *****

GO!
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 focuses on more to telling story, so it isn't really a game for gamers.Like, sometimes you see posts like "I bought this game for cinematics, but I can't watch them from menu.".
Trust me I've been playing this series from the first, I understand what this game is.
Reply Quote
first POE, then GW2 now TL2

you will know if a real D3 killer comes out because unlike these loser games there will be almost no threads on the D3 forum hyping it up as players would just move on to it without the need to discuss this on D3 forums
Reply Quote
When it comes to "fun" Torchlight 2 wins.

When it comes to greed and money, Diablo 3 wins.

You wonder where all those treasure goblins go?

Blizzard.
Reply Quote
hmm over 6000 votes. when 90% of the games on the site barely even get over 1000.
well ain't that something.
same goes for on amazon. what a coincidence!
Reply Quote
Diablo III most certainly deserves it's 3.8 User Rating. Torchlight II is easily a 9.0, so a 9.2 isn't too far off the bat.
Reply Quote
TL2 end game is utter garbage compared to D3 .

D3 I get to run act 3 millions of times .
TL2 has some stupid newgame+ and also even worse ...
get this it has random maps you buy .

I mean seriously D3 has million times more content than TL2 but I guess thats why it cost 3x the price .
Reply Quote
One thing Blizzard have been bad at for a while now is keeping a good community. When you base things on a facebook style, total lack of privacy (profile viewing in D3, Armoury in WoW), talk down on the customer base as a matter of course, target a younger demographic that is often quick to talk crap, remove as much complexity from the games as possible (MoP = WoW for kiddies, D3 removing skill trees, skill points, resist caps, etc, etc), well the collection of all of these things is a community that is not too healthy.

Then Diablo 3 was not a AAA title. It lacked a lot. It doesn't look "amazing" like an AAA title should. It had nothing to do but endlessly grind acts over and over. No making character builds destroys the game. So setting the bar that low, I can imagine that TL2 is roughly equal in size to D3. Now TL2 wins because of community content and offline play, which help foster good community and goodwill.

Now when I play Path of Exile, in the end game stuff, I see people talking about different builds they want to try, how certain skill mechanics work, talking about maps they are running or not finding :). The chat is always busy. When I play D3 the chat is empty, except for the odd gold spammer and people with wts [junk] messages. I have not played TL2 but I am confident when Path of Exile finally gets it's full release it will blow D3 and TL2 away, it is just that good.
Reply Quote
first POE, then GW2 now TL2

you will know if a real D3 killer comes out because unlike these loser games there will be almost no threads on the D3 forum hyping it up as players would just move on to it without the need to discuss this on D3 forums

D3 is already dead buddy.
Reply Quote
first POE, then GW2 now TL2 you will know if a real D3 killer comes out because unlike these loser games there will be almost no threads on the D3 forum hyping it up as players would just move on to it without the need to discuss this on D3 forums

Heh, that would be a great statistical and logical way to measure whether or not a "D3 killer" comes out.

But I will name one:

Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
Let me preface by saying I do hate Diablo3, but mostly because of the massive let-down it was

D3 does not deserve either score - critic or user. The user rating is too harsh, because people expected something that didn't suck. It should probably get at least a 5 though

It's clear that Torchlight 2 is a better game in many ways ($20?!) and that can't really be argued against in any fashion other tha "but it's clunky and ugly". Boohoo, go play COD
Reply Quote
TL2 is in no way a Diablo 3 killer due to its open-game nature...

I still trust Metacritic more than sites that are paid to give a good review, but D3 does not deserve a 3...maybe an 8...TL2 does not deserve a 9, maybe a 7.5...

Regardless...the pro-D3 remarks are usually pretty poor...what keeps most of us coming back is the idea that the endgame isn't just handed to us...which is a good thing, but still needs a LOT of work...

No matter what way you look at it, TL2 took a couple years to make, D3 took many more...if given the same time and budget, Runic would smash all records...
Edited by Schadow#1616 on 9/25/2012 9:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/25/2012 09:43 PMPosted by Schadow
what keeps most of us coming back is the idea that the endgame isn't just handed to us

See I just don't understand this mentality. Why can't the WHOLE GAME be the fun part rather than an end-game grind? The WHOLE GAME in D3 is really fcking dull
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]