Diablo® III

just got rich, what should i buy?

sorry but I do not understand. My gear costs just a little above 300M (from my estimates) and this guy with 1.2B has just a little more unbuffed (about 13k) dps than me, to add to the fact that I have a larger EHP (although not by much) than him. Plus I haven't fully upgraded my gear (I plan to remove my MF gear soon, which includes pants, chest and amulet).

Is the additional ms and lifesteal that he has, compared to mine, aside from the dps, very necessary and worth such a large fortune???

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/pedsky-6688/WeaponI/1807857
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/killakush-1586/KillaKush/6739123

I do not see how this can be a proper allocation of spending.

You can't be serious.

A) You have a Skorn. Play without one and see where your DPS goes;
B) He got an IK Chest -- because that's what he wanted;
C) He's 18 paragon levels behind you; that's 54 strength, 36 vitality,
D) Your attack speed is an inefficient and pathetic 1.07 per second -- he has 1.80;
E) His AR is 700 unbuffed; yours is not even 500 -- it's a premium to acquire

I could go on. That magical upgraded chest of yours is going to likely be a IK Chest -- it will cost you at least 100-800m to acquire. The boots takes a giant dump on yours. Nothing he has needs much of an upgrade other than the weapons. Go look up at the list I posted with his gear total and then head to the AH and acquire those same items for the 300m you poured into your own gear.
Reply Quote
I'm gonna add that I built that Barbarian with the patch in mind. I wanted to give him as much AR and DPS as possible to work with the life-steal that he has one his gear. His Barbarian kicks some serious monster butt.
Reply Quote
Those telling him to cash out underestimate the euphoria one must feel when given the ability to purchase ANY BIS ITEM in the game. Especially when he didn't waste much (if anything at all) to get there.

Let the guy enjoy his new items, it's not like they don't hold the same value now. Plus, the fun he'll be having from now on will make it all worth it.

Congrats on the find dude! Hope I can say the same one day, and I too will consult some purchases with acrimony. Looks like you might have a job as a gearing adviser.

sorry but I do not understand. My gear costs just a little above 300M (from my estimates) and this guy with 1.2B has just a little more unbuffed (about 13k) dps than me, to add to the fact that I have a larger EHP (although not by much) than him. Plus I haven't fully upgraded my gear (I plan to remove my MF gear soon, which includes pants, chest and amulet).

Is the additional ms and lifesteal that he has, compared to mine, aside from the dps, very necessary and worth such a large fortune???

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/pedsky-6688/WeaponI/1807857
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/killakush-1586/KillaKush/6739123

I do not see how this can be a proper allocation of spending.

I'm sure that Acrimony will chime in, but I have a few thoughts.

1) An extra 12 MS is HUGE for WW barb and so is the extra LS given his extremely high DPS. How much do you think your skorn would be worth if it had 3% LS on top of its existing stats?

2) You probably built your barb over the course of months, giving you lots of time to snag bargains through bidding/sniping. Acrimony built the set over a few days which gives a lot less time to find bargains.

3) 13K unbuffed DPS is big. It's the nature of the game that it's relatively cheap to get to a reasonably good level, but it's almost exponentially more expensive to get upgrades after a certain point. As a couple of examples, look at my character. I recently upgraded bracers and boots. My current bracers cost 30M vs 4.4M for my old bracers and essentially added just 1.5 CC and the extra armor but was otherwise the same. My boots cost me 28.6M vs 5M for my old boots and I gained 19 Str and 29 AR while losing 41 Vit.

4) You have 18 paragon levels on Killakush, so the difference in gear is larger than at first glance.

10/12/2012 11:55 PMPosted by Samuel
The dps difference is quite a bit bigger than it looks because it's not really fair to compare the DPS of someone who uses Skorn to someone who duel wields directly. He would get ~25k more displayed dps with Skorn. I'd say that the prices for the items looks about right. I will leave my opinion to myself though concerning the gear choices.

Thanks guys.

@Samuel -- I'm open to criticism/suggestions.
Reply Quote
I don't really have many criticisms. I don't really like the MH weapon, but I am guessing you got it because it's almost impossible to find anything that's really good on the auction house. I've seen one weapon that's interested me in like a week, and I couldn't afford it =/. I'm also going to assume that the amulet he has is a placeholder for an amulet in the next patch (along with the right ring which you mentioned). With those items out of the way, I would not have chosen the same shoulders or pants. I could explain why if you want. I might have made some other small changes (I've never been in that situation though, prior to 1.0.5 being announced I didn't think it was efficient to spend more than 300m gold on gear), but they really aren't too significant.

It's hard working with specific budgets anyway. Some gear slots are more important (and cost more) than others too. Lastly, there isn't a linear correlation between an item's effectiveness and how much gold it costs.

That reply took way longer than it should have =/.
Edited by Samuel#1928 on 10/13/2012 1:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the biggest issue with using a gearing service like acrimony/ender/dboy/rezic is that they have such a limited time to do their job. They generally build your set within the same day or perhaps a few days for a big budget set.

I built my set over months, slowly upgrading piece by piece as I found bargains. I have a lot of money saved up, but I refuse to overpay when a little patience can give much better results if you know what you're looking for. As examples:

1) My shoulders are comparable to the set Acrimony built, but cost me 10M instead of 52M because I found a friendly DH on these boards who needed the money quick and wanted to sell.

2) My pants are better than his and cost 22M vs 42M. That's because I snagged a BIN bargain since I usually do at least 1 search a day for each item slot to see if I can improve for a reasonable cost and happened to get lucky one day.

3) My boots are 28.6M vs 320M for his. His is better, but probably not 291M better. If I want to improve my boots to his level, I would have to pay the same price or wait endlessly to see if I can swipe a bargain.

Note that none of this is intended to be a criticism of Acrimony. It's just an illustration that if you want the best bang for your buck, you have to be patient and build your own set over time and know what to look for. If I had to build the set in only a few days, I would probably do a worse job than Acrimony.
Reply Quote
You can't be serious.

D) Your attack speed is an inefficient and pathetic 1.07 per second -- he has 1.80;

I could go on. That magical upgraded chest of yours is going to likely be a IK Chest -- it will cost you at least 100-800m to acquire. The boots takes a giant dump on yours. Nothing he has needs much of an upgrade other than the weapons. Go look up at the list I posted with his gear total and then head to the AH and acquire those same items for the 300m you poured into your own gear.

Here are my thoughts about it:

1. There's a conversion point where a certain amount of vit or armor compensates for AR, so obtaining AR over vit, armor or % life is not always a good thing. (This is the basis of EHP calculators)

2. If we have the same paragon levels then I could compensate for the loss in stats by gems or small upgrades which amount for less than 50M

3. having greater attack speed but same dps only amounts to having a greater proc rate, helping mainly fury generation only iirc (LOH is irrelevant in 1.05)

4. One of my main reasons for buying skorn is...it is cheap for the dps it gives.

There is no doubt that I definitely agree that his gear is better. But paying extra 900M to get from my gear to his level of gear is outrageous, so that's maybe where our differences lie. :)
Reply Quote
^ Also, what the two guys above me said. :D hehe time limits vs. waiting for the perfect discount buy can be a problem.
Reply Quote
There's a conversion point where a certain amount of vit or armor compensates for AR, so obtaining AR over vit, armor or % life is not always a good thing. (This is the basis of EHP calculators)

EHP for a tornado barb doesn't work exactly like that. Life regeneration is what makes the build work. HP isn't as strong as armor and all resistances simply because damage mitigation helps with sustain better than HP does after HP is at a sufficient level.

One of my main reasons for buying skorn is...it is cheap for the dps it gives.

Skorn adds a lot of fake dps for a tornado barb, so in that sense it's not really cheap dps. I could dual wield for the same price as a Skorn, and it would likely be more effective because it takes a lot of investment for Skorn to work well with a tornado barb.

There is no doubt that I definitely agree that his gear is better. But paying extra 900M to get from my gear to his level of gear is outrageous, so that's maybe where our differences lie. :)

It takes a lot more gold to get a little more effectiveness, and you are making the the difference between his gear and yours to be a lot smaller than it actually is. With a few changes his dps would reflect how good his gear is, but as I've said before, it's really difficult to find a good barbarian mh, and he is probably waiting for the next patch to upgrade his jewelry and a few other slots.
Reply Quote
very nice :)
Edited by lufia#6960 on 10/13/2012 5:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You can't be serious.

Here are my thoughts about it:

1. There's a conversion point where a certain amount of vit or armor compensates for AR, so obtaining AR over vit, armor or % life is not always a good thing. (This is the basis of EHP calculators)

2. If we have the same paragon levels then I could compensate for the loss in stats by gems or small upgrades which amount for less than 50M

3. having greater attack speed but same dps only amounts to having a greater proc rate, helping mainly fury generation only iirc (LOH is irrelevant in 1.05)

4. One of my main reasons for buying skorn is...it is cheap for the dps it gives.

The distinction is that I never had control of his gold and he wanted to blow his gold on the best possible set-up he could get. I took every precaution necessary to get him the best bang for his buck without harming his set-up over time. You can approach Killakush directly and ask him if I bullied him or pushed him into getting items without explaining why.

Every time I gear a player, I do the following things:
1) Explain what is wrong with his/her set-up;
2) Ask the player what kind of experience he/she has had in the PTR and in current inferno with the set-up;
3) Borrow the gear to test for myself (if the player is willing);
4) Explain what is wrong with the set-up in the most simple way possible -- repeat if necessary to ensure the concept is thoroughly understood;
5) Explain my core processes in building (EHP is something that I'm well-known for) and show the player how I would make those changes with his/her budget;

Most importantly, I ASK what the player wants. Whether it's S&B or WW or whathaveyou, I do everything to ensure that there's no miscommunication between myself and the player.

When I took over Killakush's gear, I never had control of his gold. I explained why something works, why it doesn't, and how it affects his gear value in the future. I believe the Ice Climbers were something that he specifically wanted more than anything else, so I pulled a favour from someone I knew was selling his Ice Climbers and had the boots (which costs about 500m in the AH on a good day) reduced to 320m.

Call me lazy. Call me a bully. But in terms of what Killakush wanted, Outlaw explained it perfectly: "Those telling him to cash out underestimate the euphoria one must feel when given the ability to purchase ANY BIS ITEM in the game. Especially when he didn't waste much (if anything at all) to get there."

And for the record, Killakush was about to quit the game before he got that drop.
Reply Quote
Well done Acrimony. Gave only a few days to work thats one balanced well rounded end-game Ballerina barb, people dont understand how impossible getting decent deals on GG AH items in a limited time frame is where everything GG status is super crazy over-priced.

Only thing I can comment and would have to change is the mainhand weapon. 1 billion budget to dissolve.. and no gg Echoing Fury?! c'mon bro if you have a Billion at least throw 100m+ towards his MH ;)

I agree with you that cashing out at 1 billion gold is a mistake.

People saying he should've 'cashed out' are oblivious to how rich a well geared barbarian spinning 24/7 and tossing the treasure on the RMAH can get. I switched from a Monk 3 weeks ago and twinked out this Barb and to date in 3 weeks im at 1 billion gold + $1800 RMAH Paypal + 140$ Battle Net ballance if I'd cashed out like these dudes say I'd be 2 grand more negro.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]