Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

Basic Information:
The basis behind the Tank DH is combining rapid life on hit procs with high levels of armor and resist all. This achieves a large amount of HP regen and survivability and a general stress free level of game play. It is -NOT- the most uber end all way to destroy everything in the game but it remains a viable and fun alternative to glass cannon and balanced builds.

The fundamental difference between a cannon and a tank build is that a cannon build tries to avoid getting hit and may stack resists to simply give themselves a few extra hits so the game is a little more forgiving. A tank build runs into the pack of mobs and feels safer surrounded by mobs than in the open due to the massive amount of life regen coming from all of the trash.

Basic Builds:

• Full Tank

• The full tank DH focuses almost entirely on defensive abilities keeping just enough DPS to clear content before enrage timers (but sometimes just tanks through the enrage timers too lol). This is the most stress-free style of game play as the full tank DH can face tank nearly anything in the game.

estimated dps: < or = to 20k
    gear choice: 1h-xbow+shield for maximum defense

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#begkYV!fVd!ZcYbbb
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#Ufgkeh!fVd!caYbcb

• DPS Tank

• This build represents a middle ground between hybrid and full tank DH. This build stacks on much more defensive stats but tries to maintain as high level of dps as possible to efficiently kill monsters.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aigkYd!fVX!ZaYbcb
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WigkYR!fVX!aaYbcb
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQgkYR!feX!ZaYbcb

estimated dps: 15-30k
    gear choice: dual wield xbows or bow/xbow+quiver

• Hybrid Tank

• This build is a mix between a balanced DH and a tank DH. The build has good survivability but not enough to take extremely heavy sources of damage. The DH will purposefully force close range engagements to increase their damage output and regen but will switch to kite mode when facing very heavy hitting mobs or large sources of heavy damage such as desecration pools or arcane sentries.

estimated dps: >30k
    gear choice: dual wield xbows or bow/xbow+quiver

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aiXVYd!fXe!ZacYcb
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#ajXVed!Zfe!Zbcbcc
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQXkhY!fXU!cacbZb

• Special Requirements Builds:
  • These builds require special stats on gear to make them work properly.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bShkVj!cXb!ZcZbZb - use a cold damage off hand.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UagkYR!cXW!cbYbcc - use move speed boots. works best with cold damage off hand as well for ranged snaring.

General Stats for Inferno:
  • Act I: 20k HP / 3k Armor / 300 RA / 1100+ LoH
  • Act II: 30k HP / 4k Armor / 400 RA / 1400+ LoH
  • Act III: 45k+ HP / 5k Armor / 550+ RA / 1700+ LoH
  • Act IV: 50k+ HP / 6k Armor / 650+ RA / 1900+ LoH

Followers:
    Templar- Templar has heals and resource regen. He will also act as a tank. If geared properly he will survive a substantial amount of damage. He also can hold the most magic/gold find gear. He will have the lowest dps.
    Scoundrel- Scoundrel is good for dps. He has crit chance buff. His dps if geared properly will be high.
    Enchantress- Enchantress is the tanks friend. She has armor buff and crowd control. If geared right her dps is very high.

If you disagree with something or feel something needs to be added please let me know and I will fix it. I am not trying to post my personal opinion here, just the general summary of the previous threads and the experimentation the community has done thus far.

For more info on skill specifics,followers, and other things please see the first post of the other threads linked at the bottom of this post they all have very useful info. I don't have the space to re-post it all here.

Resources:

• DPS/EHP stat calculator - http://d3up.com
  • The Tank DH V.1 - us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5911503749?page=1#1
  • The Tank DH V.2 - us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5979218484?page=1#1
  • The Tank DH V.3 - us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6036225556?page=1#1
  • The Tank DH V.4 - us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6202180373?page=1#1
  • The Tank DH V.5 - us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6368567700?page=1#1
  • The Tank DH V.6 - us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6471447324?page=1#1
  • Life On Hit Ratios:
  • http://goo.gl/Uq0m1
  • Item Max Rolls:
  • http://www.d3rmt.com/guides/diablo-3-item-stat-maximum-values
  • Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 11/21/2012 6:24 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    wow version 7 now :)

@Morogoth: I just think maybe we need to update General Stats for Inferno. I think dh tank need higher stats after patch 1.04.
    Reply Quote
    wow version 7 now :)

@Morogoth: I just think maybe we need to update General Stats for Inferno. I think dh tank need higher stats after patch 1.04.

actually i did make them higher. check the old links, you will notic the stats have gone up.
    it was raised in:
    v.4 to v.5
    v.6 to v.7

did you have a specific change in mind though?
    Reply Quote
    Hi,

Can't wait for 1.05. Currently I am tanking with gas grenades, sentry chain, and scatter traps.

The 25% reduction of numbing traps is very critical and with the addition of grenades to numb in 1.05and along with custom engineering and dual chains, this will continue to be fun tanking. Just got to position well which is where vault TOC works and also procs loh also. but mainly this is for fallen maniacs.

With the new root break of TOC in 1.05, plus gloom which is required to tank, I don't see how I can allow a spot for chakaram as its loh proc is quite low and I am not willing to give up DUAL SCATTER for this. DUAL SCATTER WILL ROCK - The screen will all be 25% less damage which will be nice.

I have tried cinder arrow, shock collar, cluster grenades, but the gas grenades still keep my health alive while dishing out dps and healing me during a freeze for DOT.

I was running a 2H xbow but my new 1h xbow with socket for crit damage has higher dps than my 2h xbow.

Besides I must say the 26% block with my shield is absolutely key as well.

Still have to move though for arcane. I can sit through 2 or 3 hits (barely) before I need to move.

I will miss crit hits with sentry chain but I will still need sharpshooter as I cannot afford upgraded equipment with crit hits and I do need the crit damage...

Nice to see V7. DH Tank rocks. Oh yeah, I bought TL2 and honestly it doesn't stack with the battle and strategy of d3. I think I will let my kids play as it is not a mature title and way less blood. LOL...
    Edited by Chappy#1504 on 9/24/2012 8:23 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Tauren Druid
    I'd like to try face tanking with a 70k dps build like this

evasive as part of a rotation for 50% armor
    Strafe (ember strafe) in 2 second bursts
    jagged spikes
    boar as regen + tank + 15% res
    sentry CoT (make 3)
    gloom

perfectionist
    custom engi
    vengeance

I want to be stacking Fire under the monsters and moving the CoT around a collection of jagged spikes
    Edited by zoid#1554 on 9/24/2012 8:28 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Morogoth, i hope the blues reply to your thread in the PTR section. It was nice seeing a detailed reply on the mechanics for the nerf in WW barb and energy twister. I think we deserve at least a similar explanation
    Reply Quote
    I started playing tank DH about a week ago, enjoying it so far.

Wizardspike is secretly good on Tank DH, while it limits your offensive options it raises your attack speed greatly and gives at least 70 resist. Not a problem if you're flinging grenades.
    Reply Quote
    I'd like to try face tanking with a 70k dps build like this

evasive as part of a rotation for 50% armor
    Strafe (ember strafe) in 2 second bursts
    jagged spikes
    boar as regen + tank + 15% res
    sentry CoT (make 3)
    gloom

perfectionist
    custom engi
    vengeance

I want to be stacking Fire under the monsters and moving the CoT around a collection of jagged spikes

ive decided i dont like emberstrafe. i only looked at it briefly though. it doesnt look like it procs loh or crits though. not being able to do either? thats a big turn off. ill stick with demolition if i want to go strafing through things.

edit: also something that was mentioned earlier, though i just got around to looking at it, is evasive is only single target. so it makes it rather useless imo to a DH Tank. It only lasts 3 seconds as a buff so you have to keep firing. Additionally, if you used it as a secondary then it takes up a slot you could be using for something else more useful. just my opinion on it. it seems more oriented toward ranged dps so they dont get one-shotted.
    Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 9/24/2012 9:00 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Holy crap.. Bola with acid.. and 6 spike trap.. im melting things super fast and I have pretty low DPS..

Can really figure out what to use for Discipline spender though.. Everything is hatred heavy now..
    Reply Quote
    Holy crap.. Bola with acid.. and 6 spike trap.. im melting things super fast and I have pretty low DPS..

Can really figure out what to use for Discipline spender though.. Everything is hatred heavy now..

depends on how your building it.
    Reply Quote
    this is amazing. http://cl.samdmarshall.com/JgqQ/
    Reply Quote
    Bombs are around 50% proc ratio. Echoing would be 1.5. But at 30 hatred you would only be getting one off every 3 seconds...so a total 50% proc ratio/second. I don't see it working without Nats > prep punishment for CoT or more bombs/sec.

If you add in that you need crit for nighstalker and nats to pull this off, it's not cheap. Your looking at several hundred million, to maybe pull it off.

How would 30 Hatred be a problem? just use M4D. ;)

Well.. if CoT would still proc M4D-ME. I'd just happen to "revive" my unlimited Cluster Arrow, or better(maybe) use Spike Traps unlimitedly.

Chakram, Grenades, Natural regen, M4D, 3 CoTs, Gas from Grenades, Thorns, Bleed. Those will proc M4D-ME and would give you SO MUCH Hatred already.
    Reply Quote
    I tried the full tank version and omg, she is ma girl. Facetanking everything except molten and desecrator, like a boss. I used Gas Grenade + Evasive Fire on mouse, Sentry (Protection Rune), SP, Back Up Prep, and Boar. Basically unless it's Molten or Desecrator, I can just use my right hand to tank, my left hand was only used for refreshing Sentry lol. Currently in MP 7, but it took too long to finish a 17m HP Rare...

I love Tank Hunter.

Edit: Hardened still triggers backflip. Idk about the exact condition for backflipping, but sometimes it made me backflip instead of increasing my Armor.
    Edited by novice#1750 on 9/25/2012 7:07 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I can't play on PTR :( Won't let me. stupid Disconnections and Errors >_<
    Reply Quote

Have you tried connecting using another language?
    Reply Quote
    Does Sentry stack on itself? It seems that I take even less damage when I have 2 Sentry.
    Reply Quote

Have you tried connecting using another language?

It has to DL the new language :) And net's really !@#$ty right now :(

Evasive fire's Hardened Rune does not cost Disp.. You pretty much get 3 Hatred and 50% Armor when using it >_<
    Reply Quote
    Nope. With what I tested so far the backflip still occasionally happens and it still costs Disc. I don't know about the condition yet.
    Reply Quote
    Then someone lied when they posted that -.- I REALLY HAVE TO TEST stuff out at PTR >_< my build revolves around CoT :))

Can anyone try if CoT does indeed not CRIT anymore? Thus nullifying it's use in conjucntion with Nightstalker?
    Reply Quote
    Bombs are around 50% proc ratio. Echoing would be 1.5. But at 30 hatred you would only be getting one off every 3 seconds...so a total 50% proc ratio/second. I don't see it working without Nats > prep punishment for CoT or more bombs/sec.

If you add in that you need crit for nighstalker and nats to pull this off, it's not cheap. Your looking at several hundred million, to maybe pull it off.

How would 30 Hatred be a problem? just use M4D. ;)

Well.. if CoT would still proc M4D-ME. I'd just happen to "revive" my unlimited Cluster Arrow, or better(maybe) use Spike Traps unlimitedly.

Chakram, Grenades, Natural regen, M4D, 3 CoTs, Gas from Grenades, Thorns, Bleed. Those will proc M4D-ME and would give you SO MUCH Hatred already.

yes, CoT still procs m4d so it will give you hatred. basically, if it gives you LoH it will proc mortal enemy. which if i remember right thorns/bleed dont.

09/25/2012 07:09 AMPosted by novice
    Does Sentry stack on itself? It seems that I take even less damage when I have 2 Sentry.

Sentry buffs dont stack. Like if you have 2 aid stations on top of each other. You will only get 1% healing still. Damage though appears to be per turret. So each CoT would do 100% damage.

Can anyone try if CoT does indeed not CRIT anymore? Thus nullifying it's use in conjucntion with Nightstalker?

no, CoT cannot crit anymore. then again i didnt really count on it for nightstalker anyway. in 1.03 and before sentries didnt crit either :)

I tried the full tank version and omg, she is ma girl. Facetanking everything except molten and desecrator, like a boss. I used Gas Grenade + Evasive Fire on mouse, Sentry (Protection Rune), SP, Back Up Prep, and Boar. Basically unless it's Molten or Desecrator, I can just use my right hand to tank, my left hand was only used for refreshing Sentry lol. Currently in MP 7, but it took too long to finish a 17m HP Rare...

I love Tank Hunter.

Edit: Hardened still triggers backflip. Idk about the exact condition for backflipping, but sometimes it made me backflip instead of increasing my Armor.

need to fight back a zombie apocalypse in new tristram? use the new full tank model!
    now with full zombie killing capabilities! it has grenades, razor sharp throwing stars, your favorite shotgun, and for a limited time only a loyal pig to fight by your side!

:)
    Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 9/25/2012 8:23 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]