Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

Yeah, I can outlast him if I can survive the first blow, combining high enough dodge + damage reduction I believe I can get through it just fine if I am not 1-shot. I would like to know where the 1mil per second came from. Stuff like belial's enrage is supposed to not-survivable but I have also done that. Azmodan's floor on MP10 isn't an issue for me either.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
This is my first posting so be gentle......

I wanted to post my take on the DH tank and why I chose to play it. (maybe Morogoth can add this to his guide)

The higher you go in terms of MP the more time it will take to kill things. There are basically 2 play styles in Diablo:
(these vary in degrees but in general are true)
1) tank and spank - face tank as much as you can allowing you to stand still and spam your abilities at maximum rate.
2) run and gun - blow your wad, then run off to avoid damage (rinse and repeat)

Since you cannot blow monsters up in high MP, I decided to become a DH tank. My logic was a DH tank with 30K DPS standing still spamming damage will put out around as much DPS as a glass cannon that is running and gunning with 60K DPS. To reach your maximum DPS you must be standing still spamming abilities. If you fire off a few abilities, run for a few seconds, then fire off a few abilities the time you lose running around seriously hurts your DPS potential. You probably get about 1/3 of what you could do if you are having to run often.

I think I reached a happy medium of toughness and DPS that actually allows me to clear rooms faster than my other high DPS specs. I spend little to no time dodging damage as most of the time I am spamming grenades in a pack of like 20 mobs around me.

Here is my spec:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UkYdVg!VeX!ZcbbcY

Profile:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/pay4it-1888/hero/7628720

There are some interesting alternatives depending on how tough you are or how high your DPS, but here are the keys to why this build works.

1) Sentry - Guardian Turret seems to stack*. I cannot prove this but I feel a lot tougher when I am bunkered down in 2 turret bubbles (30% damage reduction). The DPS from the turrets is a nice bonus too. Another option is dropping archery passive for custom engineering. If these do stack, then you can stack 3 for 45% damage reduction.

2) Caltrops + numbing traps is 20% damage reduction. I use jagged spikes at will hit all the mobs beating on me, but you can use bait the trap for 10% crit if needed. Im not sure if caltrops stack for jagged spikes...its hard to tell because there are so many numbers all over the screen.

3) Night Stalker - Almost infinite discipline. When I am in a scrum, it is infinite discipline with 40-50% crit. It allows me to spam Gloom and Caltrops.

4) if you add up all the damage reduction you can be at 65% damage reduction all the time with 15% life leech. This is in addition to any Armor and Resists you have... If you are standing in your caltrops, which you should be, that is another 20% reduction from the mobs in melee range.

5) You do still need to run preparation for when there are only 1-2 monsters that hit really hard (bosses).

Notes:
- I do not have the best gear (Ill say my gear is higher than average though)
- no dependency on Legacy Nats....or any other legendary or set items.
- this build has one serious flaw.....you have no chance of taking a treasure goblin solo - those peckers are too mobile....
- I currently farm MP5 with 0-1 deaths per full run
- I think you need a hand xbow for this build with archery passive to get near 50% crit. You can also add caltrops - bait the trap for another 10% if needed. When spamming grenades, you will crit everything and have infinite disc.
- I think you could pull this off with a 2 hand xbow if you had high enough LoH or life steal, but I have not tried.
- you will notice I have very little LoH due to Gloom whenever I need it.

Playstyle:
1) drop a turret
2) drop a caltrop
3) start throwing grenades
4) if a monster will hit you with knockback put your back to a wall or object so you do not get knocked out of the turret.
5) as soon as turret is up, drop another one so you are "double bubbled." Once I am double bubbled, I really seem to be tough.
6) once you have infinite disc., drop more caltrops if you run jagged spikes....in case they stack. It is free disc so you might as well use it.......

There is room for changes in this build based on your preferences. Let me know if it works out as well for you as it is for me.
Reply Quote
If i use thunderball stun I can delay it, if I go pure tank I can live through 1, maybe heal to a few more...stun some in between...still die...but he does spam charge back to back after 3 mins.

I managed to live as pure tank 3:20 sec.
Edited by SteveC#1225 on 10/24/2012 2:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Shagneed, I agree completely on not neglecting DPS. I too have 40k+ DPS in my tank gear, and am very glad I decided to keep upping my DPS whenever I made an EHP upgrade. Not only is a tank hunter with decent dps able to stay alive in higher MPs, but he/she is actually able to get some meaningful clear times.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 02:24 PMPosted by SteveC
Yeah, I can outlast him if I can survive the first blow, combining high enough dodge + damage reduction I believe I can get through it just fine if I am not 1-shot. I would like to know where the 1mil per second came from. Stuff like belial's enrage is supposed to not-survivable but I have also done that. Azmodan's floor on MP10 isn't an issue for me either.

Hmm...I thought it had no cooldown since I saw him use it back to back in multiplayer. I will retry him again.

I don't doubt it, I am just curious as to the mechanics of it. I am geared to the teeth to survive anything, and this has literally be the first time I have EVER been 1-shot on my tank. MP6 ubers rakanoth has teleporter attacked me a number of times and it barely made a scratch, so I am just curious as to the scaling.
Reply Quote
I was taking 50-65k (almost 1 shot through 1 shot) dmg through it with 780 AR, 6k armor, gaurdian turret 15%, permagloom 30%, and numbing traps 20%.

So it is hitting for 1-1.4 M/second. Maybe more, but I don't live through it to see, and have #'s off.

What is also killing me is that when I use thunderball stun the boss goes immune, since the minimum threshold stun was raised from .65 to .85 seconds, so I can't even interrupt his enrage or a lot of his moves if I spec dps. Then he summons pets with knockback that interrupt me and also make the turrets worthless. Can't beat him at 90k dps...
Edited by SteveC#1225 on 10/24/2012 3:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If I wanted to go dual wielding hand crossbows, would you suggest a Danetta's Spite or Revenge (both open socket) with my current build and Calamity?

Revenge gives awesome LoH and hatred regen. Spite gives me that sweet, sweet crit damage. The +discipline on the spite is nice, but not needed.
Reply Quote
If I wanted to go dual wielding hand crossbows, would you suggest a Danetta's Spite or Revenge (both open socket) with my current build and Calamity?

Revenge gives awesome LoH and hatred regen. Spite gives me that sweet, sweet crit damage. The +discipline on the spite is nice, but not needed.

I think you're much better off with a Spite. You'll have plenty of Discipline to use with Gloom for lifesteal. A socketed Spite will net you much more damage. You also have Nightstalker passive with abundant Critical Hit Chance. So, yea should be good. A nice build btw.
Reply Quote
Good day,

i tested a fun build DH yesterday - Tornado DH

basically u can spin non stop from start till the end

skill
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aSVkhe!VbX!ZcZbZc

the proc hit rate for strafe - demolition is 50% seems quite nice

gears needed
weapon - 2 handed crossbow due to low attackspeed that consumes less hatred per sec, best to get a 2h xbow with huge life on hit + socket
offhand - quiver hatred regen, max disc, dex, vit
armor - cloak, hatred regen, max disc, dex , vit , all ress

rest of the items are basically dex, vit + all ress

bats add 3 hatred regen

basically can get more than 10 hatred regen if u add Templar resource regen

best part is while Strafe , u may use CoT and Shuriken Cloud to add more damage to proc hit

your Hatred never seems to finish as long as u have Punishment + NightStalker,
Vengeance helps fill up your Hatred and Disc

goes well in public games,
if u find it difficult, switch CoT to Guardian Turret to reduce enemy damage

Happy Playing
Reply Quote
Good day,

skill

gears needed
weapon - 2 handed crossbow due to low attackspeed that consumes less hatred per sec, best to get a 2h xbow with huge life on hit + socket

bats add 3 hatred regen

best part is while Strafe , u may use CoT and Shuriken Cloud to add more damage to proc hit

Happy Playing

Not to burst your enjoyment but.. this is only good as long as:
1. You can kill monsters fast, so higher MP levels arent advisable.
2. Enemy doesn't have Waller
3. Enemy doesn't have Vortex
4. Enemy doesn't have Frozen
5. Enemy doesn't have Jailer
6. Enemy doesn't have Fast

Why all those affix? The first 4 stops your Strafe, Fast just makes them get near to you VERY quick :)

But IT IS, a fun build. No question in that.

BTW, I tried a Thunderstorm build, too bad that Sky Splitter has an internal Cooldown of 2-3seconds before it could proc again. So much for my 20% Chance to Smite.
Reply Quote
Good day,

skill

gears needed

bats add 3 hatred regen

Happy Playing

Yes, i have been playing a similar build with Morogoth since end of 1.04. It is fun but unlike WW barb, we need something to run away from all the Wall, jail, frozen etc. That is why i have vault although frozen is still a big problem. It is fun in low MP but not very effective in higher MP. I got to find more CC or CD stuff to boast my attack
Reply Quote

Happy Playing

Not to burst your enjoyment but.. this is only good as long as:
1. You can kill monsters fast, so higher MP levels arent advisable.
2. Enemy doesn't have Waller
3. Enemy doesn't have Vortex
4. Enemy doesn't have Frozen
5. Enemy doesn't have Jailer
6. Enemy doesn't have Fast

Why all those affix? The first 4 stops your Strafe, Fast just makes them get near to you VERY quick :)

But IT IS, a fun build. No question in that.

BTW, I tried a Thunderstorm build, too bad that Sky Splitter has an internal Cooldown of 2-3seconds before it could proc again. So much for my 20% Chance to Smite.

i see, thanks for the feedback
gotta think of something to get out of that spot,
thinking of replacing Cinder Arrow with Vault or Lingering Fog
Reply Quote
I did that. It was fun, No question about it.

As for Frozen, it can be dodged by Vault which is less costly compared to Smoke screen. It can also break Jailer and can traverse the Walls via Vaulting towards the "exit".

However, the main advantage of Smokescreen out of Vault is.. the 1second invul and the chance to break ANYTHING. That's it.

If you will, it might be nice to add BOTH. Having Acrobatics and some other rune also for Smoke?

Getting Jailed, Vaulting out of jail just to get to a Frozen Orb explosion with some pinky girly lasers revolving near it with green boogers on ground.. sound like Fun :)
Reply Quote
Gonna make me a Samurai :)

BUMP for this THREAD!!!! ^_^
Reply Quote

OK... so.. Gas Grenade's gas doesn't stack.. so THIS SUCKS >_< it was the main reason for my experiment.. damn..

I cried. I have always assumed the gas stacks.
EDIT: Finished reading, it appears the damage does in fact stack (whew). I will admit though, that I've been dropping grenades for bola shot recently.
Edited by DinoBSC#1690 on 10/25/2012 8:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well.. they stack in a sense of increased damage and LoH.. But I want them many numbers that I see when I use Bola Shot :))

So.. if I go tank mode, I get Gas, if I go Gunner mode, with high APS, Bola Shot Imminent is far out better.
Reply Quote
Chrizzle likes the screen number spam. :D
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Rydiak
Chrizzle likes the screen number spam. :D

Yes, Yes I do. After I'm done with my WD which is also.. kinda a failure in my eyes since Rain of Toads stack.. but just like how Grenades do..

I'll go Samurai Spectral Wiz Build after. LOL

Though.. depleting your whole Mana in less than a half a sec is quite.. frustrating and entertaining as well.. also summoning HORDES of spiders from unlimited jars. :))
Reply Quote
It seems that no Mojo increases ASPD. A source increases ASPD though.. I guess I'll stick to Lidless 7% ASPD then.

Btw, I'm only lacking Witching Hour to complete my experiment. :)

I bought a Dead Man's Legacy (Legacy) for 61k, it has 20% IAS, just good enough for my Experiment ^^

Gonna look for a +20% IAS Balanced Level 60 1Hand Xbow :)
Reply Quote
My math is wrong...apparently somewhere undocumented there was a change to grenades. They no longer multihit.

I went in at 70k dps with 2 shrines active stun grenades and died.

{Shocked... proceeds to immediately test using cluster grenades on sieg}

{relief}
They still do multihit large targets. Might it be the stun resistance building up so much that he's no longer stunned most of the time?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]