Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

Been lurking the tank threads ever since the glory of Jagged Spikes, but this is really my first post as a tank DH. Just wanted to drop in and say hi!

My gear isn't the best but it works for me. With my build I can facetank anything (probably up to like, MP5) like the old JS days, unless I'm standing on a desecrate or the base of an arcane sentry or something. Three Chains of Torment is awesome once you get the setup placed down.

I'm gonna try and hit 800 resist all unbuffed, and then I'll probably drop the Boar for something else, but I have no idea what. I used to use Fan of Knives - Retaliate, but I rarely remembered to keep the buff up and rarely needed it, so I dunno. I may just end up keeping the Boar.
Reply Quote
The boar is damn useless unless you have mid-range resists of 400-500, beyond that it just gets in the way by drawing aggro and dying on you too fast.
Reply Quote
This is my first post, though I’ve been following along since Tank V.1. So let me start by saying ‘Thank you’ to everyone. I’m learning a lot from you. My gear is not nearly as good as most of you, so my exploits are tame compared to some of you face-tanking Ghom at MP10, but I’m trying to improve my character.

I have one question that I don’t think I’ve seen addressed anywhere:

I know that procs “scale with attack speed”…but what I don’t know is if they scale with ‘”absolute” attack speed, or if they scale based on “increase” to attack speed. Specifically, I already understand the Base attack – obviously if I have 1.1 attacks/sec vs. 1.6 attacks/sec, then I throw 1.1 grenades/sec vs. 1.6/sec. But what about the secondary attack? If I have 1.1 attacks/sec do I get 1.1 procs of sentry/chakram/choking gas/etc, and if I have 1.6 base attack speed do I get 1.6 procs of those secondary attacks. Or, alternately, do I get a base proc rate (i.e. 2 ticks/sec) regardless of my weapon's attack speed, and then if I increase my attack speed by 15%, do I get 2.3 ticks/sec?
In short, primary attacks are simple and clear…but how exactly does the scaling work on all our go-to Tank skills proc: is it based on absolute attack speed, or based on increase to attack speed?

Also, I’ve got my resists up above 630, and my armor over 5000. (Over 700/6500 with Perfectionist) Feeling OK there. Still trying to upgrade vitality some. But now I’m mostly transitioning to the “upgrade DPS without losing EHP” game. I’m on a tight budget. I’ve spent only a few million…total…on my gear. Any advice for what item I should upgrade first to begin that trek? (I’ve already put 2 emeralds in my bows, since I can face-tank anything.)

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to continuing to develop my Tank DH.

EDIT: By the way, I am usually only able to login on the weekends. So if I don't respond until Friday, please don't be offended. I appreciate the feedback, It will just take me a while to see it.
Edited by DeimosJB#1244 on 10/29/2012 4:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have one question that I don’t think I’ve seen addressed anywhere:

I know that procs “scale with attack speed”…but what I don’t know is if they scale with ‘”absolute” attack speed, or if they scale based on “increase” to attack speed. Specifically, I already understand the Base attack – obviously if I have 1.1 attacks/sec vs. 1.6 attacks/sec, then I throw 1.1 grenades/sec vs. 1.6/sec. But what about the secondary attack? If I have 1.1 attacks/sec do I get 1.1 procs of sentry/chakram/choking gas/etc, and if I have 1.6 base attack speed do I get 1.6 procs of those secondary attacks. Or, alternately, do I get a base proc rate (i.e. 2 ticks/sec) regardless of my weapon's attack speed, and then if I increase my attack speed by 15%, do I get 2.3 ticks/sec?
In short, primary attacks are simple and clear…but how exactly does the scaling work on all our go-to Tank skills proc: is it based on absolute attack speed, or based on increase to attack speed?

the attacks themselves as you say are controlled by APS as far as how many you can get out per second. however, the secondary effects are not based on APS. some of them use to be but they were patched. so, what you get is damage per second (as if it were 1.00 APS).

this is how ive noticed things anyway.
note: there are some abilities that will tick every half second. fire damage does damage differently :/
Reply Quote
BLEED. if you need added DPS, bleed might help.

ANYWAYS..

Can someone loan me 10m? ^_^

EDIT:
And Morg's pretty much right about them not really scaling with your APS. though the number of things you throw dictates that.

Also, SENTRY, and all its rune EXCEPT Chain of Torment is APS dependent. Have fun seeing gatling bows ;)
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 10/29/2012 8:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

1) Sentry - Guardian Turret seems to stack*. I cannot prove this but I feel a lot tougher when I am bunkered down in 2 turret bubbles (30% damage reduction).

tested sentries with a fellow DH - surprisingly they don't stack

aid station clearly no increases in regen ticks from the 505's popping over my head, very easy for me to put two on me, with the other DH aid station, no change

to test the guardian sentry - stood at fire belching traps in a3 and took a record of the low end numbers inside our own, mine reached 89

inside combination two guardian bubbles this low end was never broken :( waited about 5 minutes to try to see a nice juicy 70 in there, never happened.
Reply Quote
Placebo effect? :D

I also thought they stacked a while ago and was far more courageous tanking and laughing, mwahahaha, triple turret shield. I'm invincible.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Placebo effect? :D

I also thought they stacked a while ago and was far more courageous tanking and laughing, mwahahaha, triple turret shield. I'm invincible.

<shrug> Placebos only increase dodge%
Reply Quote
I tried my non-attack build. Apparently wolf/sentry no longer scale with SS.

Edit: Grenades are triple hitting on Ghom. Rak must not be big enough to be triple hit.
Edited by SteveC#1225 on 10/29/2012 8:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
<shrug> Placebos only increase dodge%

It also affects RNG for block chance, CC procs, and in/out damage numbers. :D
Reply Quote
Can anyone help me optimize my dh ? i want be able to do mp10?
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 06:36 AMPosted by Skullhunt
Can anyone help me optimize my dh ? i want be able to do mp10?

You want to do it? Or want to steamroll it?

There's a difference between DOING mp10 and.. FARMING mp10.

I mean.. I can DO MP10, but its hellishly not profitable for me :)

So I just stick to fast MP1 runs.

I have 30k DPS, so go figure :))

4.8k Armor, 798 Resist All, 62k HP. 3% LS, and 1234 LoH.
Reply Quote
No offense, Chrizzle, but your build is just bad. 30k DPS is terrible.
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 07:04 AMPosted by Bohemond

None taken, its just because I don't really "gear" up.

Ask those around here, I just do experiments :P

EDIT: Also.. RNG hates me so much >_<

EDIT: Also.. Profile seems to be not updating. Haha. Though it's not like there's much to change anyways.

You'd gotta see my 15k DPS though, tanks MP10 Ghom though.

EDIT: You must be really lucky, because, I looked into your profile and you are better gears aside the point that I have higher kills and such. That, or you focused on really gearing ^_^
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 11/1/2012 7:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Oh boy, I must be one of the worst DH's ever then. XD
Reply Quote
First actual upgrade in a long long time. Got some gloves with crit chance on them, boosted my dps by 2k. Now to find some more crit chance and IAS and pray to the loot gods I can find another perfect rolled LoH crossbow with high DPS and a socket.
Reply Quote
I can facetank MP7 fairly easily with my spec as long as I move out of desecrate/arcane. My gear isn't uber but it works for me. I have roughly 109k dps unbuffed and my resists are all around 350 or so and I have 39k life.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
Not sure how to switch my character over to something Diablo related, if you can see my profile of my DH, could anybody tell me if I could run this build effectively?

Looks like no, so: Svrhero#1768
Edited by Svrhero#1768 on 11/1/2012 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Is this a belt or what? :D

I'm a happy camper.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2w36s92.jpg

If it only had chance to freeze, it would be the most perfect belt ever.
Reply Quote
Is this a belt or what? :D

I'm a happy camper.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2w36s92.jpg

If it only had chance to freeze, it would be the most perfect belt ever.

looks pretty nice for DPS
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]