Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

Err.. So far, all MP10 non-uber bosses are easy to do, it just takes time.. All.. except Rakanoth. LOL.
Reply Quote
11/03/2012 08:14 PMPosted by Chrizzle
Err.. So far, all MP10 non-uber bosses are easy to do, it just takes time.. All.. except Rakanoth. LOL.

Rakanoth is a Nightmare type demon. And all Nightmare type demons debuffs healing capabilities such as LoH, LS, and perhaps Regen. If you rely on Healing to keep you alive, then Rakanoth is indeed a big problem.

I suggest to hit and run when Rakanoth is around.

Leah's ghost transforms into a Nightmare demon too. So play accordingly.
Reply Quote
Err.. that's Iskatu >_<

Rakanoth's that badass demon with 2 Blades as his hands :P
Reply Quote
@ Morogoth
Yes indeed, now I happily cruise b/w 30 - 60k DPS depending on MP lvl. If I get a Mempo I'll hit 2.9 attacks per second. :D

@ Chrizzle
11/03/2012 08:14 PMPosted by Chrizzle

I gave up trying MP 10 Rakanoth when 2 groups of vortex, frozen, arcane elites didn't let me pass through after several attempts. :(

----------------

Has anyone tried "squishy tanking" with Choking Gas? I'm finding this ability to be really versatile.
(Squishy tanking - tanking with the use of a short duration, damage mitigating ability > IE: Gloom, Lingering Fog, Etc.; You wouldn't normally be able to tank hits if not using those abilities as opposed to... erm "hard tanking" I guess where you only rely on passives and long duration buffs and such because you have sufficient defense)

Aside from the 1 second invul, good for dodging burst and all that smokescreen goodness, what allows you to tank is the 5 sec gas cloud which provides an extra boost of LoH procs. Essentially, while mobs are on it, you have an old school caltrop. Unlike gloom though, it is also offensive allowing you the option to burn disc on DPS, and in my case proccing more crowd control effects on mobs for a more secure stunlock. It also procs more nightstalker recharges, so it actually reduces its own cost, especially within a tight cluster of targets.
Edited by Aspera#6721 on 11/4/2012 8:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
^ Too bad Choking Gas the AoE is like 0.1 yards.
Reply Quote
Yep the radius is smaller than caltrops. :(

Though against melee mobs, this is enough to hit a cluster of them all at once.
Backtracking, it seems it was one of the skills looked upon when JS procs disappeared, but never really caught on.

My friends still mostly prefer gloom over this, but I find myself dying far less often with SS and Strafe especially against vortex ground effect combos.
Reply Quote
thank for sharing
Reply Quote
@ Morogoth
Yes indeed, now I happily cruise b/w 30 - 60k DPS depending on MP lvl. If I get a Mempo I'll hit 2.9 attacks per second. :D

@ Chrizzle

I gave up trying MP 10 Rakanoth when 2 groups of vortex, frozen, arcane elites didn't let me pass through after several attempts. :(

----------------

Has anyone tried "squishy tanking" with Choking Gas? I'm finding this ability to be really versatile.
(Squishy tanking - tanking with the use of a short duration, damage mitigating ability > IE: Gloom, Lingering Fog, Etc.; You wouldn't normally be able to tank hits if not using those abilities as opposed to... erm "hard tanking" I guess where you only rely on passives and long duration buffs and such because you have sufficient defense)

Aside from the 1 second invul, good for dodging burst and all that smokescreen goodness, what allows you to tank is the 5 sec gas cloud which provides an extra boost of LoH procs. Essentially, while mobs are on it, you have an old school caltrop. Unlike gloom though, it is also offensive allowing you the option to burn disc on DPS, and in my case proccing more crowd control effects on mobs for a more secure stunlock. It also procs more nightstalker recharges, so it actually reduces its own cost, especially within a tight cluster of targets.

People doesn't really care about my build. :(

I've posted it a thousand times already. LOL and since the "nerf" of Smokescreen, I was the only one advocating it.

Anyways.. Just get Nightstalker + Legacy Nats + 40%(higher) Crit Chance, you'd swim in Smokescreen. And.. Choking Gas has a 10yards radius I think, not just that tiny gas pew pew fart the game releases. Im not sure, but I think so.

That .5second vulnerability can kill you, but with enough mitigation to survive 1-2 hits, you'd survive with this "squishy" tanking ;)
Reply Quote
I actually want to get more CC to do exactly what you said. I almost never die with only 30% CC, I imagine swimming in disc to be a lot more fun. :D

I don't have legacy nats though so I'll settle with bobbing and weaving with strafe for now when out of disc and compensating with a bit more defense to take a few more hits.
Reply Quote
Err.. pre- Echoing..

I used Multishot - Suppresion fire. pretty much made me swim in Disc during fights.

Now that I've remembered it..

I could.. hm..

Try this one Aspera..

Multishot - Suppression Fire (for Discipline)

Grenades - Gas (or any Hatred regen, but this is preferable as they stack = more M4D:ME procs)

Sentry - Chain of Torment (M4D and LoH/LS, PROCS EVERYTHING TOO)

M4D- ME (duh -.-)

Spike Trap - Echoing/Scatter(I still prefer Echoing. LOL)

Smokescreen - Choking Gas

Let's see you run out of Discipline in that... well you'd still have to manage but.. you get my point :P
Reply Quote
Err.. pre- Echoing..

I used Multishot - Suppresion fire. pretty much made me swim in Disc during fights.

Now that I've remembered it..

I could.. hm..

Try this one Aspera..

Multishot - Suppression Fire (for Discipline)

Grenades - Gas (or any Hatred regen, but this is preferable as they stack = more M4D:ME procs)

Sentry - Chain of Torment (M4D and LoH/LS, PROCS EVERYTHING TOO)

M4D- ME (duh -.-)

Spike Trap - Echoing/Scatter(I still prefer Echoing. LOL)

Smokescreen - Choking Gas

Let's see you run out of Discipline in that... well you'd still have to manage but.. you get my point :P

looks good to me
Reply Quote
@chrizzle

I just tried the build and works great at mp5. I have been playing hybrid primarily for farming. But with this build I am happy I kept some of my tanking gear - shield, rings, ammy, etc. I have been having fun with hybrid but key farming had been a little more costly that I would have liked. Not anymore.

There are just so many options... Thanks
Reply Quote
Just posting an update to my tank as I haven't posted here in a while.

Got some new boots a couple days ago, and I reached my longterm benchmark goal of 4M+ eHP mark on progress.

On another note, I've managed to reach 92.7% damage mitigation from level 63 mobs, and it's pretty nice.

Glad to see other folks are taking interest in DH tanks now as well.
Edited by Xenophis#1434 on 11/10/2012 6:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Morogoth,

Just curious, did you try a pair of frostburn gauntlets with your cold damage build? I got 1 drop on monday but i have not got a chance to try it yet. Does it mean i have to use with frost arrow to maximise its effect?
Reply Quote
The BONUS to COLD SKILL DAMAGE of FROSTBURN is known to be bugged and not working.

MAGEFIST's FIRE SKILL DAMAGE BONUS works however.
Reply Quote
Morogoth,

Just curious, did you try a pair of frostburn gauntlets with your cold damage build? I got 1 drop on monday but i have not got a chance to try it yet. Does it mean i have to use with frost arrow to maximise its effect?

no i havent tried those. i had a pair at one point also but they are some really horrible stats on those things. i just didnt want to give up everything that rolls on normal gloves. they need to rework that legendary imo.

you dont have to use frost arrow..but if you build for frost arrow then go for it. the build i used depended on cold weapon and abilities that dont have elemental damage to put the cold effect on.
Reply Quote
just broke 25k damage on my tank, seems like getting past 30k with full tank gear isn't really going to happen.
Reply Quote
Hello hunters.

It's been a long time since i ditched the pure tank build. It just wasn't efficient for paragon lvling.
however, once i'm done lvling (which might take who-knows-when) i'm planning to come back just for heck of it.

Questions~ to yall tank hunters
1. Is mp10 viable? what would be the minimum spec?
2. Any guess on how will tank hunter do in PvP ?
Reply Quote
SteveC have tried it already..

He was able to solo most Bosses except Rakanoth and Belial.

The problem is the enrage timer of bosses.

If just general farming, I believe we can do MP10 easier than hybrid/glass cannons.. but we take much more time.

Viability of Tank Hunter.. I don't know for sure.. it would be pretty much a front liner.. with lots of Chance to CC stuff.
Reply Quote
Hello Tank DH's!!

My build tank is pretty good right now but i was thinking about something i would try.
I would like to remove Gloom from my build ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WkgVQh!feU!ZcYcaZ ) and try putting maybe Caltrops to hit with Jagged Spike.
Here what i was thinking about : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aiYVkh!efc!ccbbcZ
So i would try removing gloom to try and leach with my Loh but putting some extra dmg with Cull of weak (OR maybe as a passive, take Numbin Trap to reduce my dmg with the sentry.
I might change elemental arrow to use maybe Cluster Arrow!!

What you guys think ? If any of you have tried a build without Gloom ? And is this viable ?

Thanks for answering !! :D

Nihalkyn
Edited by Nihalkyn#1701 on 11/16/2012 9:00 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]