Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

Woo Hoo! I can survive about 1-2 minutes of rakanoth enrage now. I don't think anything can 1-shot me now. This is fantastic.
Reply Quote
Love the tankbuild and using it since 1.03!
Since 1.05 I dumped a lot of defensive stats for ias and dps.
The result is http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/PRINCEPER-2890/hero/7737978

With plenty of ias, you dont need so much armor/res/loh.
Reply Quote
11/21/2012 04:38 AMPosted by Chrizzle
More and more are using Chain of Torment ;)

I tried CoT and I just can't seem to get used to it. It just seems useless against monsters that run (like firemages), which is one of the biggest pains about running a tank build.
Reply Quote
Hi All,

It's been a while. I have settled my build now to a point that it is super enjoyable and quite effective.

With 2600 LOH, 360% CD, 42.5% CC (with archery), 2.47 APS, 480 avg res, 5000 armor, I can be quite versatile as a dual wielder. With a sheild with 28% block and more resist and armor, I can certainly full tank.

However, my skills are based upon laying down as many echoing as possible and using tinkerer to regen hatred. I can lay down 6 spikes after gloom which returns 18 max life returns and crits like crazy with immense damage.

With high hatred regen from good attack speed and tinkerer, I have hatred for sentry and chains.

Numbing traps is essential for protection with grenades.

Vault TOC plus 24% movement speed keeps my chains on enemies and ground control especially timing frozen balls.

I can sit back and spam echoing if I am with tanks, or can tank myself.

Ideally I prefer to gloom before any sentry or the array of traps. However, during a battle, I may just spam traps as soon as I gen hatred.

When my discipline is low, I prep and start over. The amount I need to vault and gloom consumes disc at a rate near the cooldown of prep so no need to gen disc.

It is a stress free yet quite exciting build. The only problem is I seem to spend more time resurrect others...especially monks lol...

I would like to upgrade but just can find anything out there with the LOH, CC, RES and pref IAS that even exists...

I could increase DPS on weapons, but really they are fine since my real DPS numbers are not calculated on paper.

Good luck. And great to see everyone tanking.

Chappy.
Reply Quote
@chappy

Not sure if you have looked into this but for lots of mobs and elites I really like using Chakram:shuriken

spins around the body and procs LoH in Melee mode. Great when sitting in desc pools with mobs around you etc.

I have found with my DH Tank build I do not even run PREP at all. Course I don't use vault nor do I have any movement speed so I'm not there to be "fast" as I'm more of a true tank itself. You have movement on your boots at least. using Chakram/shuriken doesn't really cost you any hatred and it lasts for I believe 120sec I just try and refresh it as often as I think about it to reset the timer (no timers whatsoever show with this).
Reply Quote
@Mr. Shrimp

I used Shuriken all the time pre 1.04 nerf along with jagged. Since that nerf I haven't even thought of using it again or caltrops for that matter due to the much reduced proc rate on chakram.

Setting up chains for elite and/or glooming traps for mobs is all I need for life.

If i don a shield, then I can sit back some and go with gas grenades and shuriken for even more life, but my actual DPS with traps goes down a lot.

At MP5+, I prefer to keep moving a little bit and killing things a bit faster while not dying (efficient), so this is why I do vault and since I need custom, numbing and perfectionist, prep is better for me than night stalker or suppression.

Thanks for the tip on shuriken. No doubt I will give a shot to see in my next few runs....just don't know what I want to give up.

Depending on the next big nerf (which I am not going to say here) my build may severely change in the future.... hope not but I have come to expect it.
Reply Quote
11/28/2012 10:04 AMPosted by RichieDagger
I tried CoT and I just can't seem to get used to it. It just seems useless against monsters that run (like firemages), which is one of the biggest pains about running a tank build.

I use Stun Grenades/Thunder Ball sometimes, but a Quiver or any source of Freeze or Stun will net you an easy kill on those guys.

My build can easily farm up to MP8(efficiency) without any problem except.. REFLECT >_< I don't run LoH but if I do.. I can do ANYTHING up to MP10 except Belial and Rakanoth.

4k LoH, 3++ APS with Gas Grenades is epic. 3 Chains of Torments? That's near 12k LoH per second PER enemy hit. LOL
Reply Quote
I'm glad to see people still play tank DH. I've used this build in 1.03 when Caltrops - JS used to proc LoH and inferno trash mobs were harder than MP10 elite packs. I'm getting back in to the tank DH groove and could use some advice on gear and build.

My gear and stats: http://d3up.com/b/153811?resync=true
The build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UdkegV!efV!cbcaYY

I like to keep vault as I typically back myself in to a corner and surround myself with mobs. Vault saves me from times when there are too many arcane sentries/desecrator pools.

Anyway I'm looking for a critique on what to upgrade next or what build to run.

Thanks
Reply Quote
1 skill. Chain of Torment.

IF you prefer to gather mobs and back off to get them together.. this'll be your best friend.

I don't know how much Crit Chance you have but.. you might want to get Nightstalker instead.. then remove Prep for Smoke? If you get Jailed.. that could be a problem.. But if you can manage that..

Just try Chain of Torment ;)
Reply Quote
@chappy

Not sure if you have looked into this but for lots of mobs and elites I really like using Chakram:shuriken

spins around the body and procs LoH in Melee mode. Great when sitting in desc pools with mobs around you etc.

I have found with my DH Tank build I do not even run PREP at all. Course I don't use vault nor do I have any movement speed so I'm not there to be "fast" as I'm more of a true tank itself. You have movement on your boots at least. using Chakram/shuriken doesn't really cost you any hatred and it lasts for I believe 120sec I just try and refresh it as often as I think about it to reset the timer (no timers whatsoever show with this).
QFT, Chakram is awesome for melee hunters.
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 01:55 AMPosted by fuki
inferno trash mobs were harder than MP10 elite packs.

I don't think this, trash mobs is always trash mobs. lol

11/29/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Rav1n

Agree.

I use 5 out of 6 for my active skill to deal area damage.
Jagged Spike, Sentry, Chakram, Gas Grenades and Spike Trap. Only use vault as a defensive skill. Passive use Custom Engineering to increase the sentry,js time and spike trap number, and use cull the weak to further increase damage. then use calamity and nat cloak to further increase damage more.

Gloom is not necessary for tank dh, due to most of the tank dh have lower dps.
Edited by KOHero#6560 on 11/29/2012 4:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 04:34 PMPosted by KOHero
inferno trash mobs were harder than MP10 elite packs.

I don't think this, trash mobs is always trash mobs. lol

Agree.

I use 5 out of 6 for my active skill to deal area damage.
Jagged Spike, Sentry, Chakram, Gas Grenades and Spike Trap. Only use vault as a defensive skill. Passive use Custom Engineering to increase the sentry,js time and spike trap number, and use cull the weak to further increase damage. then use calamity and nat cloak to further increase damage more.

Gloom is not necessary for tank dh, due to most of the tank dh have lower dps.

I use Vault offensively for trash mobs and non-reflect elites. Despite the "nerf" back to 300%. ToC is still quite potent. With all my LoH and resits it keeps my HP full, and I can spam 6 trails before I run out of disc. A vault every 1.8 seconds is perfect to deal good AoE damage and keep the tank full.

As for tanks not needing gloom, depends on DPS, resists, damage reduction, and LS capabilities and in what MP. I push quite a bit of DPS for a tank and have no LS at all, so gloom becomes quite mandatory (for me at least) to deal reflect and for bosses/ubers in MP6+.
Reply Quote
Best thread in the DH section, hands down.

I may not have tons of gear or elite kills behind my DH, but ive been an avid DHer since the CBT days. Gotta say, the tank-style is vastly more fun for a variety of roles.

(As, I write this, my profile may not be updated properly, due to me screwing around with other builds)
I run a standard LoH/AS gas grenades/shuriken cloud setup with a heavy dose of MF. Do I have the extra gear to do more dps, ect? Sure...but I gotta say though, I simply hate playing like that and/or playing solo. Can I do MP3-5 or more? yea. Is it fun to me? Not really, cuz it takes forever.
I have sporadic playtimes during the day. 30m here...an hour there. The DHTank with a heavy dose of MF at low paragon lvls (i have 14-15 currently) is perfect in public games for me. I make a reasonable amount of money for how little I play and the build allows me to fund other builds to test out. I never die, get a retarded amount of rares to vendor, large stacks of gold frequently, and a good number of legs per day. This is all on MP0.A3 pub games.

40kdps, 500AR, 4k armor, 2100LoH, 43.5CC, 246MF, 89GF, 2.38APS.
My above stats has to be the most laziest TankDH for multiplayer games lol. Pop boar + shuriken cloud. Drop guardian turret. Spam gas grenades. Get jailed, frozen, or stuck under Desi? Pop SS and take two steps to the side and repeat. Nightstalker+Perfectionist with above CC, pretty much allows heavy use of SS, if necessary, which it usually isnt. I regularly watch people with gear three times as expensive as mine get chewed up (in MP0.A3 speed runs of all places!) while im pressing one key and watching Dr Phil with tha wife.

^_^
Reply Quote
Best thread in the DH section, hands down.

I may not have tons of gear or elite kills behind my DH, but ive been an avid DHer since the CBT days. Gotta say, the tank-style is vastly more fun for a variety of roles.

(As, I write this, my profile may not be updated properly, due to me screwing around with other builds)
I run a standard LoH/AS gas grenades/shuriken cloud setup with a heavy dose of MF. Do I have the extra gear to do more dps, ect? Sure...but I gotta say though, I simply hate playing like that and/or playing solo. Can I do MP3-5 or more? yea. Is it fun to me? Not really, cuz it takes forever.
I have sporadic playtimes during the day. 30m here...an hour there. The DHTank with a heavy dose of MF at low paragon lvls (i have 14-15 currently) is perfect in public games for me. I make a reasonable amount of money for how little I play and the build allows me to fund other builds to test out. I never die, get a retarded amount of rares to vendor, large stacks of gold frequently, and a good number of legs per day. This is all on MP0.A3 pub games.

40kdps, 500AR, 4k armor, 2100LoH, 43.5CC, 246MF, 89GF, 2.38APS.
My above stats has to be the most laziest TankDH for multiplayer games lol. Pop boar + shuriken cloud. Drop guardian turret. Spam gas grenades. Get jailed, frozen, or stuck under Desi? Pop SS and take two steps to the side and repeat. Nightstalker+Perfectionist with above CC, pretty much allows heavy use of SS, if necessary, which it usually isnt. I regularly watch people with gear three times as expensive as mine get chewed up (in MP0.A3 speed runs of all places!) while im pressing one key and watching Dr Phil with tha wife.

^_^

nice to see u like tank DH, many other dh in this forum are counter tank dh.
Reply Quote
^ nice tank u have. Really high AR and Vit. Would be good if you could have more damage into it. :)
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 10:32 PMPosted by Rekka
^ nice tank u have. Really high AR and Vit. Would be good if you could have more damage into it. :)

Its hard to keep that tankiness, like FACETANKING and not using Gloom without, while increasing your DPS.

DirkGently and SteveC has been having trouble already because every upgrade they find.. costs SO MUCH. :))
Reply Quote
True, but at a certain AR, you do not really see the BIG effect anymore does it? An amulet like KOhero is wearing can be swap with one with a LoH yet, high dex/vit roll and with atk speed or crit chance or crit damage, its still affordable and upgradable but might have to let go the AR.

I would hit perhaps closs to 700AR unbuff and 6.5k armor while maintaining HP and lost maybe 40k damage if I were to swap out the amu and dml. haha yeah I know its tough.
Reply Quote
What kind of stats do we need to solo ubers in MP 7 to 10? If i wear back my tank stuff with a shield, i could reach about 50k life, 790 AR with 6.5k armour unbuffed about 2000 LOH, will this be sufficient?
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 11:17 PMPosted by Rekka
True, but at a certain AR, you do not really see the BIG effect anymore does it? An amulet like KOhero is wearing can be swap with one with a LoH yet, high dex/vit roll and with atk speed or crit chance or crit damage, its still affordable and upgradable but might have to let go the AR.

I am going to change it once i hit plvl 80, because i want to maintain max MF.
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 11:27 PMPosted by RaveaAngel
What kind of stats do we need to solo ubers in MP 7 to 10? If i wear back my tank stuff with a shield, i could reach about 50k life, 790 AR with 6.5k armour unbuffed about 2000 LOH, will this be sufficient?

My build is doable at MP7 and 8 without dying much. I might get kill if I face some nasty elites with arcane and molten and teleportation that sucks you right into the middle if I am not careful enough. Other than that, If I put on a shield and 1 handler with 1.5k LOH and 700 life regen and around 700 AR at 90k dps, still doable, just too painful and slow to kill.

And I use gloom, sorry lol, I do not intend to facetank elite without gloom at higher MP. So maybe your build is even more sustainable then me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]