Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

11/29/2012 11:43 PMPosted by Rekka
What kind of stats do we need to solo ubers in MP 7 to 10? If i wear back my tank stuff with a shield, i could reach about 50k life, 790 AR with 6.5k armour unbuffed about 2000 LOH, will this be sufficient?

My build is doable at MP7 and 8 without dying much. I might get kill if I face some nasty elites with arcane and molten and teleportation that sucks you right into the middle if I am not careful enough. Other than that, If I put on a shield and 1 handler with 1.5k LOH and 700 life regen and around 700 AR at 90k dps, still doable, just too painful and slow to kill.

And I use gloom, sorry lol, I do not intend to facetank elite without gloom at higher MP. So maybe your build is even more sustainable then me.
You're up there with me DPS wise, ~120k it a lot for a tank. Gloom started becoming necessary @75K DPS and MP6.
Reply Quote
I wish there was another skill for sustained LoH other than grenades. Nothing comes close.
Reply Quote
Am i tanky (or more hybrid) or not tanky at all? (just curious to see where i fit in) =p
Reply Quote
Ive also had alot of fun recently, with what im calling a reverse face tank, with a high KB windforce+strongarm and high AS. I have a setup with something like 54.5%KB, and with AS over 2.5, its pretty funny to watch mobs get juggled with cinder arrow. :P
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 05:38 AMPosted by DirkGently
I wish there was another skill for sustained LoH other than grenades. Nothing comes close.

Gas, Chain of Torment, Shuriken..

That's it. If you can pop Gloom, take JS too :))
Reply Quote

Its hard to keep that tankiness, like FACETANKING and not using Gloom without, while increasing your DPS.)

Agreed. I've actually gotten to around 43k DPS while keeping my tankiness. Looking at my guy, I don't see how I can gain more DPS without dropping my tankability significantly unless I get super lucky and find a crazy ring or ammy with crit/crit dam.
Reply Quote

Its hard to keep that tankiness, like FACETANKING and not using Gloom without, while increasing your DPS.)

Agreed. I've actually gotten to around 43k DPS while keeping my tankiness. Looking at my guy, I don't see how I can gain more DPS without dropping my tankability significantly unless I get super lucky and find a crazy ring or ammy with crit/crit dam.

i dont know what to say about your female dh.... it is more tanky than my barb, lol

seriously, if you want a tank, use dw build ( skill bar of my profile, change bat to guardian turrent and ball lighting to preparation.)

you can perma gloom with enuf ias and cri chance, you will be tanky, but your tankiness come from both LS of your high dps and medium res armour and life, instead of relying on heavy defense stat like your female dh, cheers~
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 08:52 AMPosted by Bonta
you can perma gloom with enuf ias and cri chance, you will be tanky, but your tankiness come from both LS of your high dps and medium res armour and life, instead of relying on heavy defense stat like your female dh, cheers~

Thank for the advice. I'm comfortable and happy with the armor/res build, so I'm gonna stick with that. I'm just looking to squeeze as much DPS out of it as I can.

I have a good 31% Stormshield with 80 Res/Dex/Vit that I want to use. The problem is that my current shield has 1500 armor and crit%, so I'm trying to find a way to cover that loss with other gear and can't seem to find a way to do it.
Reply Quote
Hi,

At the suggestion of BubbaGump, I did try shuriken.

Before, I ran gas tinkerer, vault toc, sentry chains, prep battle, gloom sp, and spike echo with custom eng, perfect, numbing traps.

Shuriken allowed me to drop numbing traps and grenades as this does about the same in terms or protection and life. Other than that I did not feel any great advantage but it certainly opened up options.

I use custom and spike echo as my major rainmaker.

I opted to drop chains (my lifeline) along with vault. I was so used to it. But without it there is no ball and chain...kind of feels good.

SS Choking for loh return, and unsnare, and to give me an extra second for those green kamakazis.

I played around with primary cinder and secondary gas grenades and although it was fun, still a few too many deaths.

Using Bola thunder with a bat, I get a similar hatred regen to that of gas tinkerer.

So now I opted for gloom SP. When I see an elite, I work to fill hatred and then gloom and lay up to 6 spikes traps depending if the elites are ranged (spread) or melee (stacked). Then with bola and especially the stun, I am good to go. Still need to move some for desecrator, two arcanes, stacked molten.

My passives are custom eng, perfectionist, and nightstalker. Have no issue keeping discipline up.

I think this is my optimum build. Finally.

Thanks for the push to shuriken. Essentially it eliminated the need for numbing traps and grenades and allowing for a primary with stun and aoe.

The best thing is even though my shield in in my inventory, I don't need it and can dual wield and tank quite nicely. With shield can take dual desecrator and triple arcanes though but my kill time goes up a lot.... With dual wield the IAS and hatred generator makes this build rock.

Thanks a bunch. Great thread.

Chappy.
Edited by Chappy#1504 on 11/30/2012 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 08:08 AMPosted by Chrizzle

Gas, Chain of Torment, Shuriken..

That's it. If you can pop Gloom, take JS too :))
Vault ToC- good LoH proc, more damage than JS, plus mobility/breaks root.
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 08:52 AMPosted by Bonta

This kind of tank will facing trouble when getting disabled like freeze or fear, once you cant attack in few second, then u will die, unless you got smoke screen.
Reply Quote
12/01/2012 06:15 AMPosted by KOHero

This kind of tank will facing trouble when getting disabled like freeze or fear, once you cant attack in few second, then u will die, unless you got smoke screen.

In order to live using Gloom if there's that event that you are about to be frozen.. having Perma Gloom.. you should pop Echoing every now and then to try and anticipate.

That way, even if you do get frozen, you're still life stealing from those traps.

That's what I usually do and frozen isn't really that much of a problem :)

However.. I'm liking the fact that.. with 2-3 elites on me, even if its Arcane, JUST don't put those pink balls under my balls.. I won't die.

Smokescreen Choking is your best friend ;)

50% CC + LOTS of Mob + Nightstalker.. = perma SS.
Reply Quote
KOHero,

We have only 2 differences in our build.

You use Tumble, I use Marked. You use Cull the Weak, I use Nighstalker. You use JS, I use Gloom.

I think we kill.. at the same rate. I might try and remove Shuriken and put in JS >_<

EDIT:
Ok.. so I tried this one..
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UkgRQY!fXU!ZbYYab

With these stats..
http://i.imgur.com/jqRAf.png

What happens is that..
1. Mark an enemy
2. Pop in Gloom
3. Put down Chain of Torment
4. Go near monster, Gloom still up, pop in JS about 2-3 of them
5. Spam Spike Trap and Hatred Generator.

What pretty much happened on my latest elite fight is that.. I have Gloom up, kinda permanently with some second or so lapses because I 'm busy laying down traps, positioning or dodging those Arcane Balls, not the beam ;)

Infinite Gloom, JS and Echo trap spamming. 1min, 1 Elite in MP8 even with just 50k DPS. Nice enough for me :)

15% LS to everything I deal, and 601 LoH from my Calamity..

Btw, Cluster grenades hits for so many times, I don't know how many, and has a higher proc coeff than Gas Grenades, making it ideal for Nightstalker procs. Gas Grenades' poison stacks but doesn't really multi hit. It stacks like Bleed.

I bought that one for 1m so.. don't bash me on that weapon. LOL

EDIT:
What I want to do now with my character is to change some of the things I'm wearing and increase my DPS while keeping tankiness.

Goal would be.. 100k DPS, 5k Armor, 700-800 AR, 800-900 LoH. 100k HP. THEN I'll be Happy. LOL
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 12/1/2012 7:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
How do you record stuff? I wanna post my own tankiness. LOL

EDIT:
I can't stand on Arcane Balls :( MP8 btw. Just too painful with LOTS of them wailing at me then popping that gay pink ball under my balls. sucks balls.. >_<
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 12/1/2012 8:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
Those flames at Butcher's area is painful. LOL
Reply Quote
12/01/2012 07:13 AMPosted by Chrizzle
Btw, Cluster grenades hits for so many times, I don't know how many, and has a higher proc coeff than Gas Grenades, making it ideal for Nightstalker procs.

Heh, now you know why I've been a Cluster rune user for months.
Edited by Xenophis#1434 on 12/1/2012 10:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
What are you guys using that burns enough Discipline to require Nightstalker? I'm using SP:G and Caltrops: JS and never even come close to running low on Disc.
Edited by RichieDagger#1866 on 12/1/2012 6:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/01/2012 06:07 PMPosted by RichieDagger
What are you guys using that burns enough Discipline to require Nightstalker? I'm using SP:G and Caltrops: JS and never even come close to running low on Disc.

Perma Gloom + constant 6 JS.

12/01/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Xenophis
Btw, Cluster grenades hits for so many times, I don't know how many, and has a higher proc coeff than Gas Grenades, making it ideal for Nightstalker procs.

Heh, now you know why I've been a Cluster rune user for months.

It really depends on what you want to do anyways ;) So for NS proc, I go for Cluster, but if its LoH/Damage, I go with Gas.
Reply Quote
I am looking for any information on the different grenade runes, broken down by damage. For example, tinkerer is 3 grenades that explode when thrown, firebomb is one grenade, cluster grenades are 3 grenades that do damage ticks, gas has the initial explosion tick but then the lingering clouds tick.

Anyone have a spreadsheet or able to link me some information that breaks this down into damage per tick. I have the spreadsheet of the proc rates for each skill, I am trying to see which is going to benefit me most in combination of LS and LoH. While i know some of you can answer me which would be best, I really need to see the numbers on it.

Thank you in advance.
Reply Quote
I've been moving more in the hybrid dps/tank route primarily for low MP (0-3) speed farming. At MP0 I just stack damage, MF and a few of my tank pieces and use paragon to make up the MF difference. I'm able to hit >100K dps w/ 450 all res and legacy nats for fast and efficient farming.

But sometimes I want to get back to my roots (Dh Tank).

I'm currently wearing my tank gear. I'ts good for all MP levels at staying alive, but the damage is so LOL ZZZZ snooze fest at any MP. Needs to be teamed with solid DPS.

DPS (unbuffed): 35K
EHP (unbuffed): 378K (w/ dodge & block): 747K
All-Res: 609 (Physical): ~700
Armor: 4,815
Life return: 2.8% LS & 1,331 LoH
+ Pickup Radius: 21
Damage reduction from skills: 70% (Gloom: 35% Guardian Shield: 15% Numbing Traps: 20%)

All stats are with Legacy Nat's for infinite gloom. Guardian Shield and Numbing Traps debuff most mobs 35% damage to group which helps keep those DPS dealers alive. I still feel the eHP is a little low for a tank-- if I was running MP9 or 10, I would likely be swapping out gems to all +vit, switching bows to a +200vit variation, using this swell bracer I have w/ high vit, all res and melee damage reduction and just generally ignoring dps. However, when letting dps drop, Caltrops: Jagged spikes has less synergy with Shadow Power: Gloom. I would replace it with Shuriken Cloud which is good because is still procs life on hit (some).

I have another variation of gear with ~5% chance to stun, 4% chance to freeze, 4% chance to immobilize in addition to 45% chance to knockback (WF + Strong arm bracers) and then as much attack speed as possible. It's a hoot, but lacks a good deal of all resistance. I'm still working on that gear set. Those +chance to proc skills are hard to find and even harder to buy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]