Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

I am looking for any information on the different grenade runes, broken down by damage. For example, tinkerer is 3 grenades that explode when thrown, firebomb is one grenade, cluster grenades are 3 grenades that do damage ticks, gas has the initial explosion tick but then the lingering clouds tick.

Anyone have a spreadsheet or able to link me some information that breaks this down into damage per tick. I have the spreadsheet of the proc rates for each skill, I am trying to see which is going to benefit me most in combination of LS and LoH. While i know some of you can answer me which would be best, I really need to see the numbers on it.

Thank you in advance.

For LS, I think best would be.. GAS GRENADES, TINKERER, STUN GRENADES and FIREBOMB because they explode on contact and deals hefty damage. Gas Grenades on the other hand.. explodes then leaves a gas... those gas can stack.. like bleed. So you can gain high LS from that.

Cluster Grenades have many little hits thats why you won't be able to benefit from LSing on that..

Also.. as for LoH, lets say a Cluster hits 5times in 1sec.. those 5 hits have their own proc coeffs making the suitable for Nightstalker and LoH(but the LoH is the same, just spread out then totaled)

Pretty much answered your question? Maybe. ;) But that's all in theory. Sorry.

LoH, you might want Gas Grenades though.. but Cluster has a LARGER radius making it ideal also.

TL:DR
LoH - Cluster and Gas
LS - All except Cluster

Combination? I'll go with Gas.. But I'm using Cluster because of my innate Perma-Gloom due to Nightstalker.
Reply Quote
I figured this would happen :)

I am really interested in the damage per tick and number of ticks per grenade rune. Specifically the breakdown for cluster grenades, that is if anyone has any theorycrafting info on it.
Reply Quote
Update to my own question, I think it ticks 3 times per mob per grenade, so overlapping grenades can tick multiple times per mob over the (3?). If someone else can verify this, it would be extremely helpful.

Edit: The rune in question is Cluster Grenades.
Edited by DirkGently#1944 on 12/4/2012 12:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
Doesn't Cluster just hit once, but do so in a big spread rather than 3 bombs? AFAIK, Gas is the only one that does additional damage after the initial impact. Or, are you asking whether there's overlap allowing for multiple hits from the same throw?
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 12:51 PMPosted by RichieDagger
Doesn't Cluster just hit once, but do so in a big spread rather than 3 bombs? AFAIK, Gas is the only one that does additional damage after the initial impact. Or, are you asking whether there's overlap allowing for multiple hits from the same throw?

Yes, multiple hits due to the overlap, also what the number of damage ticks per mob is.
Reply Quote
I running somewhat of a tank DH right now, love it. I honestly think the best skill is stun grenades, 25% chance to stun is amazing. You can just sit there and stun everyone to death mixed with a little clutter bombs, works great with elite packs. I have almost zero LOH and it still works because of the stun grenades.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 10:19 PMPosted by dosulli4
I running somewhat of a tank DH right now, love it. I honestly think the best skill is stun grenades, 25% chance to stun is amazing. You can just sit there and stun everyone to death mixed with a little clutter bombs, works great with elite packs. I have almost zero LOH and it still works because of the stun grenades.

i never really liked stun grenades because it loses a lot of the aoe potential the other runes have. however, Bola Shot:Thunderball is nice. its got a pretty good aoe and stuns targets.
Reply Quote
Hybrid gloom tanker here, made the switch to DH tanking a couple of weeks into the 1.05 patch. Just got tired of dying to reflect damage and kiting forever, while being unable to push past mp4 without multiple deaths. I must say, its made my DH a whole lot more enjoyable and I don't even feel like going back to a traditional massive DPS build.

I aimed to keep my hp at 100k+ with 450-500AR (with perfectionist), while pushing my DPS as high as I could. I just managed to break the 150k dps unbuffed mark. I'm at the stage where I need 100s of millions to upgrade my gear while keeping those survival benchmarks, so I have to sacrifice some vit/%life if I want more dps. That being said, i'm happy where my DH is right now since I can do up to MP7 with my current build with relative ease and speed (RoV is purely there for speeding up high MP elites). Frozen/Arcane is the only combo that I have to dodge for, and sometimes Consecrate. I keep Vault in there for the CC break, although i'm going to try dropping it out and see how I manage. MP7 onwards and for ubers, I switch out RoV for Guardian Turret, Caltrops for MFD and Cull the Weak for Brooding or Archery. I usually do ubers with a monk friend, otherwise i'd need to work the Boar companion into the build purely for Siegebreaker. As it stands, i've been able solo MP8 ubers, with Siege/ZK being the hardest/most annoying. Haven't had the time to go higher, but will be trying to soon!
Reply Quote
So you all know me and my primary tank. I have recently been playing drops-only (no-AH/Ironborn/self-found/etc) and I have come down to play what seems to be a typical balanced build. I don't have LS or LoH yet, so I have to rely on gloom. I am wondering if this counts as a hybrid tank or I am a balanced hunter instead.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DirkGently-1944/hero/23904997

http://d3up.com/b/172956

Would like some feedback as to where you all think this falls on the tank spectrum, if it does at all.
Reply Quote
@Dirk:
I think your build is more of semi-kite to a kite build..

When things got rough and messy (like if you bump to 2 elites with both rd affix at the same time with lots of trash mobs), you will be forced to become a traditional glass-cannon build.
Reply Quote
Hi all. I'd just like to share a hybrid tank build that i found works for mp7. I use calamity with lifesteal and have 1000 per sec life regen with templar as follower.
Skills used: bola shot thunderball, echo blast st, gloom, jagged spike caltrop, sentry guardian turret and smoke screen lingering fog (for cc break jailer and frozen). Passives: numbing traps, nightstalker and perfecionist. Hardly have to kite unless it a nasty combo like molten, desecrator, plague, arcane. With fire chains just run to a corner so they can't surround you. Use combo of gloom and jagged while inside turret and spam bola and eb. If you have high all res and discipline pool , you can possibly drop perfectionist for cull the weak for extra damage.
Reply Quote
@Dirk:
I think your build is more of semi-kite to a kite build..

When things got rough and messy (like if you bump to 2 elites with both rd affix at the same time with lots of trash mobs), you will be forced to become a traditional glass-cannon build.

This is the thing, I really don't. I can sit in whatever I like. I should really have LoH or LS to be classified as a tank, but I can sit through anything on MP3 so far.
Reply Quote
For LS, I think best would be.. GAS GRENADES, TINKERER, STUN GRENADES and FIREBOMB because they explode on contact and deals hefty damage. Gas Grenades on the other hand.. explodes then leaves a gas... those gas can stack.. like bleed. So you can gain high LS from that.

Cluster Grenades have many little hits thats why you won't be able to benefit from LSing on that..

Also.. as for LoH, lets say a Cluster hits 5times in 1sec.. those 5 hits have their own proc coeffs making the suitable for Nightstalker and LoH(but the LoH is the same, just spread out then totaled)

Pretty much answered your question? Maybe. ;) But that's all in theory. Sorry.

LoH, you might want Gas Grenades though.. but Cluster has a LARGER radius making it ideal also.

TL:DR
LoH - Cluster and Gas
LS - All except Cluster

Combination? I'll go with Gas.. But I'm using Cluster because of my innate Perma-Gloom due to Nightstalker.

@Chrizzle:
I've tried using Gas Grenades instead of Stun Grenades and they didn't fit to my style unfortunately (getting owned fast in mp5).

Gas Grenades for me in my opinion are for circa 1.03 tank dh's which is reliant on unnerfed caltrops-jagged spikes
Reply Quote
@Chrizzle:
I've tried using Gas Grenades instead of Stun Grenades and they didn't fit to my style unfortunately (getting owned fast in mp5).

Gas Grenades for me in my opinion are for circa 1.03 tank dh's which is reliant on unnerfed caltrops-jagged spikes

I use Gas to deal with MP10.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200062489?page=1
Reply Quote
@KOHero:
SIMPLY WOW!

You're build sir is what I'm aiming for! I'll try again using gas, and changing my turret to chains

I'll also try to remove the Boar in my setup
Edited by zidane21#6181 on 12/10/2012 9:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
I also prefer gas grenades. They're just more consistent with damage and LoH. I can tank MP10 with gas just fine.
Reply Quote

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200062489?page=1

What are your defensive stats? HP, resistance, LoH, LPS?
Reply Quote

- 5900 Armor
- 950 All Res
- 80k HP
- 2k LoH
- 2.68 AS
- 54k dps
Edited by KOHero#6560 on 12/11/2012 5:18 PM PST
Reply Quote

- 5900 Armor
- 950 All Res
- 80k HP
- 2k LoH
- 2.68 AS
- 54k dps

Interesting. I'm at 5k Armor, 620 All Res, 50k HP, 2800 LPS, 2600 LoH, only 26k DPS. I don't think I could handle MP10 at all.

And was that a glowing shield of some sort, or a second 1H crossbow?
Edited by Jumpem#1868 on 12/11/2012 5:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
Interesting. I'm at 5k Armor, 620 All Res, 50k HP, 2800 LPS, 2600 LoH, only 26k DPS. I don't think I could handle MP10 at all.

Attack Speed is the key to heal fast, and 50k hp is a bit low to handle high MP, sometime your life could drop very fast due to too many ground effect when u r disabled, so more health pool can give u time to save your character. beside, i think 26k dps will take longer time in mp10.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]