Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

I don't have exact numbers on hand right now for what each piece of my gear cost me to get, but I can tell you that each piece I am using wasn't over 500k off the AH (tell a lie, the xbow I am using was 552k). While I CAN get upgrades to what I have, there is literally no need. I have been keeping myself going with diabloprogress's ranking system and pushing the limit of what I can do. Right now my tank can do _ANYTHING_ solo in 1.0.4. As I have time this week I will be pegging down each of the major bosses to test survivability. I have done ghom, azmodan, diablo, and Skeleton king so far. Next up I think is going to be rakanoth, and maybe izual. The problem with both of these is the hike to get there. I can do MP10, however the time expenditure of it for loot is just insanely bad. I was able to solo ghom in about 20-25 minutes. That was pretty much constantly DPSing him. The whole time I didn't move, just kept dropping guardian turrets and grenades.

When I went to do my azmodan run last night I ran into an elite pack right out of the waypoint and sat there with it for 10 minutes to kill it. I really want to see how my tank evaluates against these bosses, I just don't know if I want to sink the time into getting to them.

A lot of people are saying that MP10 is not possible without "godly" gear. To some degree I have to agree. I think I am still ranked in the top 20 for US DHs for resists and ehp, and due to DHs not having defensive passives up to now (1.0.5) I am better geared for defensive stats than many many barbs and monks out there. Facetanking may seem boring, but it is actually rather thrilling and dangerous to do well. Having to offset incoming damage and LoH+regen while being careful about stuff like molten, desecrator, arcane, plagued, etc.

Using builds like full tank on a DH is something you have to ease into, and figure out what your limits are. At this point my combination of gear I can stand in literally anything and not have to worry. The one thing you want to do is get more mobs if you are unsure. 1v1 for a full tank gets dicey if you aren't careful, whereas taking on a full horde of mobs makes everything much easier.

I am going to be playing mostly on the PTR until it hits the live servers, so if you want watch how I do things then send a friend request over on that.
Reply Quote
will do. I thought there was something written you can copy your characters over once a week or something like that. I do want to test a tank build over on PTR but certainly won't use my gold there to buy anything as there are limited supplies on the AH and prices are just stupid for stuff for the most part. Not sure if I have to delete all my chars and re-import them or what to do at this point to get a fresh copy over onto PTR.

I'll def add you in game on PTR. While I could probably have cut my bill in 1/2 of what I spent on the AH I decided to just do buyouts rather than take a week or 2 to get the gear I have by selectively buying without buyouts. 13 pieces of gear for about 25m .... for what I see as a pretty solid build is far cheaper than purchasing 1 Witching Hour belt that will increase my DPS but isn't a lot of bang for the buck. Average piece was still under 2m and in today's buyout prices I see that as a good deal for me.

That being said ... I'm going to have to balance some between PTR and Real game as I do also have to rebuild my gold back up. I haven't seen a post as of yet for projected release of 1.0.5 so it could come this month or next month or or or. Some things on PTR doesn't seem to work as expected (saw your post about the evasive procing when not even in use also things like comparing items in the AH to your current setup ...etc. Seen posts about grenades stop working here or there. all in all PTR is going well but would def want to try out my current setup over there if at all possible.
Reply Quote
I did PTR with my tank setup and reached the 1000 resist mark on some of the resists. With Perf ectionist + boar + Hardened, I hit about 8-9k armor. All in all, its great for survival, but after playing a hybrid for some months, its hard to go back. On a side note, for higher DPS, Loh + life steal is very nice...
Reply Quote
For me there is no question:

1) Gas Grenades
2) Sentry Chains
3) Scatter Traps
4) Vault TOC
5) Shadow Power Gloom
6) Prep Battle Scars

Sharpshooter
Numbing Traps
Custom Engineering

You will have time to manage 3 chains.....space them out when you need them - plan hatred for when you need to spawn a new sentry.

Scatter in between reset. Hitting 2 scatters will not waste your hatred.

Massive damage and massive procs....Ghom with 3 chains through it is laughable...

This is not OP as it does require strategy for sentry placement. Failure to place correctly and no procs, then its panic time. Vault out and then reset.

Vault is that key skill for postitioning and to pick up some life in an emergency...

Give it a go, it is quite fun and challenging. Time is on your side with Monster Power.
Reply Quote
I went out with..

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UkhXej!UXV!cbaccY

Bandolier to Echoing Blast.

That pretty much made me do the whole Act 1 and 2 on MP 10. I didn't try Act 3 since I was lagging horribly. Game ain't done DLing stuff. LOL

Anyways.. The only problem that I can find is that it just takes too long to kill stuff :) Other than that? NONE.

Loving the 3 CoTs with Gas Grenades/Cinder Arrow and the Spike Traps are just for added DPS :)
Reply Quote
I went out with..

That pretty much made me do the whole Act 1 and 2 on MP 10. I didn't try Act 3 since I was lagging horribly. Game ain't done DLing stuff. LOL

Anyways.. The only problem that I can find is that it just takes too long to kill stuff :) Other than that? NONE.

Loving the 3 CoTs with Gas Grenades/Cinder Arrow and the Spike Traps are just for added DPS :)

lol thats a fun build :D
echoing blast is addictive.
Reply Quote
09/26/2012 05:48 PMPosted by Enavro
I did PTR with my tank setup and reached the 1000 resist mark on some of the resists. With Perf ectionist + boar + Hardened, I hit about 8-9k armor. All in all, its great for survival, but after playing a hybrid for some months, its hard to go back. On a side note, for higher DPS, Loh + life steal is very nice...

Envaro, nice bows. I hope life has been treating you well.
Reply Quote
I went out with..

Hi Chrizzle, did you use 2 x 1h crossbow for the testing in MP10? I have similar equips to you, so i think my build will be similar to yours. Only thing is on the shuriken cloud, i may opt for a companion instead.
Reply Quote
I did ghom again today without guardian turret, I might drop gloom from my hotbar.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0kkrdzV2bY)
Reply Quote
Sorry, wrong thread lol/
Edited by D3player#1993 on 9/28/2012 2:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I went out with..

Hi Chrizzle, did you use 2 x 1h crossbow for the testing in MP10? I have similar equips to you, so i think my build will be similar to yours. Only thing is on the shuriken cloud, i may opt for a companion instead.

Yup, using those 2 XBows that my profile shows :) I have really !@#$ty DPS, but I don't care. They die and I don't. I can listen to music or talk to someone in the phone with this. LOL

lol thats a fun build :D
echoing blast is addictive.

Well, it's kinda fun, it gets the job done :)

As for the other skills.. that's just my first try. I'll be trying out stuff since CoT is 3x LoH proc already, I'll try some other things that would add more to my DPS. So far Smokescreen acts as a double. It makes me dodge stuff and makes me deal added damage while giving me another LoH source and being the only Discipline spender I have.. I can use whenever I need it. :)
Reply Quote

Using the numbers shown from Morogoth I'm good all the way up through Act IV with the exception of Armor. I'm about 470 short of armor. I'm not sure if the "armor" recommendation of 6,000 is unbuffed or buffed. If it is buffed I may be OK as Perfectionist should add another 550 armor to me taking me over the 6,000 recommended limit.

the numbers shown on the first page are unbuffed. this is because up till 1.05 DH has not had any way to increase their armor/resists/hp through buffs. so what you see is all "from gear" amounts.

this is all great for now obviously. however, after 1.05 things will obviously change.
so i will need to know minimum amounts of armor/resist/hp to survive in say MP1(easymode)/MP5(middle)/MP10(hardmode). this will give people a good guideline of what to expect for gear when going up in MP.
Reply Quote
Wish I could try PTR 1.05 with you all... But it appears 1.05 is constantly changing so much so, after downloading 1.05 for 2 days (on-off, busy these few days), I have to re-download it all over again; sure fine.. and after a 2nd DL, i have to DL it again 3rd time?!?!?!?!

its been a week trying to DL PTR 1.05. I am out of luck.

will wait for the real 1.05...
Reply Quote
Wish I could try PTR 1.05 with you all... But it appears 1.05 is constantly changing so much so, after downloading 1.05 for 2 days (on-off, busy these few days), I have to re-download it all over again; sure fine.. and after a 2nd DL, i have to DL it again 3rd time?!?!?!?!

its been a week trying to DL PTR 1.05. I am out of luck.

will wait for the real 1.05...

previous topics on this suggest that it has to do with trying to download while the server is down. this causes the updater to misidentify the patch you have.

if i were in the same situation i would go to the diablo 3 public test folder and delete
"updates", "logs", and D3Debug.txt

this way the next time you update (while the server is up) hopefully it pulls down the correct patch for you. if something is wrong the D3Debug shows information on what its the game is doing so maybe it can tell you what is happening.
Reply Quote
I tried DH V.7 full tank really awesome build I can tank now act 3 inferno elites
Reply Quote
@Morogoth, Chrizzle, Xenophis what are your thoughts right now on MP10? I feel like it is a bit of a joke for a well geared DH tank, and I am starting to look to make my build more offensive now that I know I can handle anything thrown at me. After doing boss fights with azmodan and ghom without having to use a discipline skill at all I am considering dropping some of those skills in favour of more hatred spenders and push my damage up a bit.

How has the PTR been treating you for tanking? I don't want to lose of the novelty of never having to run away from mobs, so I might stay tanking so I can ignore arcane, fire, molten, etc completely now.
Reply Quote
@Morogoth, Chrizzle, Xenophis what are your thoughts right now on MP10? I feel like it is a bit of a joke for a well geared DH tank, and I am starting to look to make my build more offensive now that I know I can handle anything thrown at me. After doing boss fights with azmodan and ghom without having to use a discipline skill at all I am considering dropping some of those skills in favour of more hatred spenders and push my damage up a bit.

How has the PTR been treating you for tanking? I don't want to lose of the novelty of never having to run away from mobs, so I might stay tanking so I can ignore arcane, fire, molten, etc completely now.

unfortunately elite packs in mp10 kill me :(
white mobs are not prob though but those elites dont even give me a chance.

heres what i found just so yall can compare the MP levels
these are taken as naked damage on elite pack:
ACT3 inferno (live) = 34290
MP0 = avg. 39,285
MP1 = avg. 46,424
MP5 = avg. 95,138
MP10 = avg. 137,289
Reply Quote
I can tank. But I die easier, considering the fact that I just run around for the lulz.

I can't play for the meantime. I HAVE to spend time studying but it's really hard. Hahaha. Once I get my job done, I'd just buy stuff out in RMAH.

I mean.. it's more "practical" to work for 8hours.. spend that whole salary into the game.. Than to spend 18203801923 hours to just have a chance to get something you could've just bought with your money.

Practicality ;)
Reply Quote
Hey Morogoth, here are some numbers for ya to try and help the DH cause a bit.

Note 1: Not all of my gear was copied over for some reason (I have yet to figure out when the server side saves are), so right now some of my upgrades are not in place thus affecting armor/dps/res all numbers etc. (Also note, I have no Crit damage gear and my Crit chance gear isn't copied over yet...even with it, I am only at 29.5% crit and 50% Damage...it needs work, I know I know :) )

Note 2: PTR 1.0.5.12289

Note 3: DH Tank Build

Str: 302
Dex: 1324
Int: 366
Vit: 1550

Health: 74155 (Includes +36% to health through gear)
Armor: 5184
Damage: 20443.07
Damage with Bait the Trap: 21,429.81

Block: 19%
Dodge: 33.2%
Damage Reduction: 63.34%

Resistances before Boar: 477 low end to 567 high end
After Boar: 542 low to 644 high
(Yeah, I am not going to type them all out :P )

LpS: 2009 (2164 with Boar)
LpH: 979

Skills:

Perfectionist,Brooding, Numbing Traps

Grenades: Gas
Rapid Fire: High Velocity (Use this to kill those pesky range critters like wasps etc or runners and as my hatred dump)
Caltrops: Bait the Trap
Prep: Battle Scars
Chakram: Shuriken Cloud
Companion: Boar

I have only played sparingly on the PTR, but I did manage to play a bit in Act 3 Inf. MP 3. I was able to face tank everything throughout the entire act with this setup with one or two exceptions.

1st: Azmodan. My health regen wasn't enough to sit through multiple Pools of Des. I had to move around a bit while they were active. Otherwise, I was able to face tank him.

2nd: Ran into a really tough Elite pack. Shielded, Arcane, and Molten Hulking Phasebeasts (might have been one other affix...I got annoyed by the third death and just wanted them dead....) Had me cornered right at the entrance/respawn point as I had just entered the Second Tower I believe it was. Didn't venture too far as I didn't want to pull aggro on anything more, so just ate those few deaths.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit.
Edited by Dunedain1014#1512 on 9/29/2012 10:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Dirk

I made a post a few days ago, where I tanked Ghom on MP10 with 7 pieces of gear off... (Took off my nat's set, shield, pants and belt)...

I had 1.1k vit, 850 dex, 49k HP, 400 - 450 res, 1.8k armor...

Lol. That was... Kind of a joke to say the least... I was surprised... I took off gear DURING the boss encounter to test my minimum tanking threshold.
Edited by Xenophis#1434 on 9/30/2012 4:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]