Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

@ Morogoth

Could you please remove you last build listed in your OP ? It is a 1.05 build I listed in my Static DH guide on September 21st and you listed it as a 1.04 build on the 25th. Boar on the current patch ? doesnt make sense.
Reply Quote
@ Morogoth

Could you please remove you last build listed in your OP ? It is a 1.05 build I listed in my Static DH guide on September 21st and you listed it as a 1.04 build on the 25th. Boar on the current patch ? doesnt make sense.

i can. though tbh i can make it work in 1.04 as well.
so i dont see whats wrong with the build :)

the boar pet doesnt do the same as it will in 1.05, but when the patch rolls around it will just be a simple transition and you wouldnt even switch builds.
Reply Quote
unfortunately elite packs in mp10 kill me :(
white mobs are not prob though but those elites dont even give me a chance.

heres what i found just so yall can compare the MP levels
these are taken as naked damage on elite pack:
ACT3 inferno (live) = 34290
MP0 = avg. 39,285
MP1 = avg. 46,424
MP5 = avg. 95,138
MP10 = avg. 137,289

500 AR 5k armor is 86% mitigation, 140k hits become 20k hits, 14k after permagloom (dodge is unlucky sometimes so not counted).

You can't LoH 14k hits without insane stats. With 3% lifesteal (permagloom), you need to deal 460k dps aoe.

With a 40k weapon swing (about what I am in tanky dps/crit gear@75k dps 2H) and ~1k% weapon damage from skills, you may be ok.

Seems to require all resist legacy nats (200M) for permagloom and 150M in other gear to lifesteal tank 2H.

Numbing traps and boar would help somewhat. I'm not sure evasive fire or gaurdian turrets will see use at all, since they replace lifesteal skills, regardless of how well they reduce damage.

So I guess 350M to lifesteal tank 2H, or Dirks 8M to LoH tank mp10.
Edited by SteveC#1225 on 9/30/2012 10:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi guys, do you think it is better for high LOH or high AR, armour in MP? I was wondering a double welding or a single welding with shield is better.

I did not have much time time to play Diablo 3 this week, so I only try a double welding in MP 5 and i can tank quite well with about 2.9 LOH. i might need to use preparation as the elites take an awfully long time to kill.

I just bought a cheap stormshield to try a full tank build. It works fine in 1.04 Act 3. I will go try in MP once i got a chance.
Reply Quote
Hi guys, do you think it is better for high LOH or high AR, armour in MP? I was wondering a double welding or a single welding with shield is better.

I did not have much time time to play Diablo 3 this week, so I only try a double welding in MP 5 and i can tank quite well with about 2.9 LOH. i might need to use preparation as the elites take an awfully long time to kill.

I just bought a cheap stormshield to try a full tank build. It works fine in 1.04 Act 3. I will go try in MP once i got a chance.

they both will work well. it just depends on how much total EHP you have and how fast you can regen your physical HP.

as i pointed out previously elite packs, which hit the hardest, will be hitting you for 90k+ in MP5. if you had 500k EHP though from being a tank spec then you could take a few hits. although it would still be kinda rough being each hit is going to be around 10k.

to be honest the way i see things in MP10 going...
i feel like LoH is good to have but its not enough. we will need to also have high life regen and if we have LS that wouldnt hurt either.
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 10/1/2012 11:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote

they both will work well. it just depends on how much total EHP you have and how fast you can regen your physical HP.

as i pointed out previously elite packs, which hit the hardest, will be hitting you for 90k+ in MP5. if you had 500k EHP though from being a tank spec then you could take a few hits. although it would still be kinda rough being each hit is going to be around 10k.

i feel like LoH is good to have but its not enough. we will need to also have high life regen and if we have LS that would hurt either.

Morogoth, which act did you try in MP10? act 1 and 2 are actually much harder than act 3 in terms of toughness. Act 1 and 2 need to be scaled up to i63 then have the MP scaling applied to them. I found it a walk in the park doing act 3, even on typically insane packs.

This is the build I am using on the PTR

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UkVXge!fdV!ccbZYc

So far nothing seems to be giving me trouble except for nasty act 1 and 2 elites on MP10. It is pretty clear at this point MP scaling isn't working correctly with bosses and is even more messed with acts 1 and 2.
Reply Quote

i feel like LoH is good to have but its not enough. we will need to also have high life regen and if we have LS that would hurt either.

Morogoth, which act did you try in MP10? act 1 and 2 are actually much harder than act 3 in terms of toughness. Act 1 and 2 need to be scaled up to i63 then have the MP scaling applied to them. I found it a walk in the park doing act 3, even on typically insane packs.

This is the build I am using on the PTR

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UkVXge!fdV!ccbZYc

So far nothing seems to be giving me trouble except for nasty act 1 and 2 elites on MP10. It is pretty clear at this point MP scaling isn't working correctly with bosses and is even more messed with acts 1 and 2.

initially i tried act 1, though for sake of comparison i later tried act 3.
act 1 i wouldnt say is necessarily harder. its just that it has a broader variety of mob types. kinda makes it fun actually. although coming up to a default fast mob like burrowers that have molten/fire chains is extremely annoying to say the least. they hop around everywhere and cause everything to be molten while hitting you with chains :(
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 10/1/2012 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
ive remade the LoH document for us.
this way if there are any future changes it can stay updated rather then having to look at some old outdated document.
Reply Quote
this way if there are any future changes it can stay updated rather then having to look at some old outdated document.

I'm glad someone remade the LoH chart, but I have a few nitpicks. :P

Entangling Shot is misspelled. The 17% ratios are actually 16.67%. Gas Grenades is actually 16.5% ticks (16.5% impact too with an immediate tick, but the way you have it it fine for saving space). Also no data for Multi-Shot!
Reply Quote

I'm glad someone remade the LoH chart, but I have a few nitpicks. :P

Entangling Shot is misspelled. The 17% ratios are actually 16.67%. Gas Grenades is actually 16.5% ticks (16.5% impact too with an immediate tick, but the way you have it it fine for saving space). Also no data for Multi-Shot!

fixed mispelling
and i probably just missed multi shot completely when i made it last night :p
i was tired. ill add it in though.
ill open it back up to editing when google stops being annoying. :)
Reply Quote

act 1 i wouldnt say is necessarily harder. its just that it has a broader variety of mob types. kinda makes it fun actually. although coming up to a default fast mob like burrowers that have molten/fire chains is extremely annoying to say the least. they hop around everywhere and cause everything to be molten while hitting you with chains :(

Oh yeah I hate going into games to test on some generic elites and it serves you up some real evil things instead.
Reply Quote

Oh yeah I hate going into games to test on some generic elites and it serves you up some real evil things instead.

really i think ive seen enough of PTR for now, at least until they announce the next set of changes (if any). i still think next week will be patch week.

not to mention the stealth nerfs they decided to throw in not even telling anyone are very disappointing. still, at least people found them before it went live so we know they did it.
Reply Quote
[quote]

i feel like LoH is good to have but its not enough. we will need to also have high life regen and if we have LS that wouldnt hurt either.

I have about 490k ehp now with the tank build. i hope it is enough.

Quite weird, i was looking at Diabloprogress and it reflects my ehp as 866k unbuffed? How did they get this figure?

You mention stealth nerf. What was nerfed?
Edited by RaveaAngel#6183 on 10/1/2012 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

well, one instance of this is how it isnt documented that they touched rapid fire:fire support.
on live it shoots 3 rockets, on test 2 rockets. hidden nerfs. what else did they forget to add to the notes.. right?
Reply Quote

well, one instance of this is how it isnt documented that they touched rapid fire:fire support.
on live it shoots 3 rockets, on test 2 rockets. hidden nerfs. what else did they forget to add to the notes.. right?

Oh i see. I hope they wont surprise us like the jagged spikes in the last patch.
Reply Quote
Hey guys !!

I'm still looking to find THE build for me. I have tried CA with some 2 handed weapon and i have tried 2x 1 handed with Ele Arrow. I prefer the build with 2x 1 handed bow and i have a question about this tank build. I'm still looking to upgrade some piece that i have and i would like to have a few comments from you guys.
I have think about making a hybrid tank but i would like to know if someone have tried this before i start it and if its gonna be good in patch 1.0.5 with Uber coming.

What you guys think about life regen and LoH ?? Is this can be viable build with a nice amount of life, AR and armor ?? (I would like to keep a good DPS 50-60k)
I would like to have some feedback if this can be a nice build and if it can be viable in 1.0.5. I dont want to spend my money without nowing if its good or not.
For now, i have 40 mil and i saw some pretty nice pieces with a good amount of Dex/Life/AR and Life regen....!!!

What you guys think ??
Thanks for your comments !! :D

If you guys wanna talk, you can add me in game. Take note that i dont play a lot. (Maybe 6-8 hours a week max) I will be on a bit later this week.
Edited by Nihalkyn#1701 on 10/2/2012 4:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nihalkyn, the problem with maintaining high DPS with LoH is that it doesn't really work. With high DPS like that (high for a tank) you could normally go through act 3 at a fair clip killing things without much effort. If you are doing 50-60k damage then you are going to want to use LS instead to make heals worth your while. This is a simple matter of game mechanics, you cannot continue to proc LoH if your foes are dead.

Grenades feels inherently based for lower DPS heros because of the continual damage effects that you get from gas grenades and stun grenades. The fact that they do something that expect your foes to remain standing after the first strikes implies that you aren't going to be doing such insane damage. Another aspect to this is how tanks typically stay alive, the more mobs around us the better off we are. More mobs means more LoH procs, thus higher and faster heal rate that should exceed the incoming damage. This means that most of the time it is better off that we are not killing off the trash mobs before we have taken a sizeable chunk of the elite's health out first.

As I run one of the tanky-est full tanks around for DHs, I can say that life regen does have its perks. However it is be no means a primary stat you want to gear for. Your focus should be on damage mitigation, more vit, and maintaining your dps. Then worry about life regen. it is good to keep some around but I wouldn't drop big money on it as a primary focus attribute. Up until now, and even into the next patch DHs have never had good defensive passives. We are getting an upgrade to perfectionist in 1.0.5, but as this first real defensive passive we have it is still rather limited.

For a lot of people with balanced DHs, this is going to make a huge impact, as you are going to be able to take an additional hit or two. For tanks you are expected to be able to already take those additional hits plus a few more. Running a balanced/hybrid tank means you probably won't be running with a shield, so you are going to have to pay close attention to what your damage sources are and managing them. No shield means no block, so your only mitigating damage via dodge and by your armor + resists.

At this point you may want to consider adding some life regen. The purpose for it after you have built up decent defensive stats is to mitigate the small stuff. So long as I am not trying to 1v1 an elite that can cast multiple desecrator fires under me I can sit in fire just fine. However life regen can really take the edge off that if it is combined with another affix, such as arcane, plagued, or molten.
Reply Quote
Hm. Since I've quit my DH tank and moved onto my monk tank for the upcoming patch.. I've re-geared my DH in full 300 pre-neph MF gear tank gear (what my profile says + my paragon level MF).

And I've found that I can still tank multiple pools of desc, plague, etc.

Quite interesting, considering I only spent about 35 - 40M in total for my 300 MF set.
Edited by Xenophis#1434 on 10/2/2012 6:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I decided to play solo past Ghom onto Diablo. I also changed gas grenades for imminent doom.

I was very much pleased with imminent doom. Siegebreaker was no issue, neither was Cydea. I died once at Azmodan as forgot to chain him as I have not battled him for some time - stupid.

Once I chained him, I sat still until my discipline ran out after prep. I did need to gloom him some. I then ran around for the prep cooldown and then reengaged him. Took him down easy.

The boss with shadow was cake (forgot his name). Didn't move. Shadows kept procing the chain.

Now heading into library for Raky then Izual and then Diablo. I was expecting Act 4 to hit a lot harder but with Imminent Doom, I am farming way faster than with gas grenades.

The 2 second delay is procing life in case I get frozen which is why I used gas grenades.

Overall, my in game DPS has increased substantially with the bola explosion.

In 1.05 bola radius increase will be a plus. I was looking forward to the numbing of grenades but since I can lay 6 scatters, this should make up for it.

All is well and gameplay is fun.

Took on a lot of arcane, molten, descration elites including phasebeasts. Phasebeasts were the easiest. The chicks with wings and homing fireballs did force me to move some and of course I can take 1 or 2 arcanes but when only 2 elites around with no mobs, it is easier to avoid them since I am there is little loh chain procing.

I can't wait to have more than 1 chain though. I played around with PTR and it is quite nice....
Reply Quote
I decided to play solo past Ghom onto Diablo. I also changed gas grenades for imminent doom.

I was very much pleased with imminent doom. Siegebreaker was no issue, neither was Cydea. I died once at Azmodan as forgot to chain him as I have not battled him for some time - stupid.

Once I chained him, I sat still until my discipline ran out after prep. I did need to gloom him some. I then ran around for the prep cooldown and then reengaged him. Took him down easy.

The boss with shadow was cake (forgot his name). Didn't move. Shadows kept procing the chain.

Now heading into library for Raky then Izual and then Diablo. I was expecting Act 4 to hit a lot harder but with Imminent Doom, I am farming way faster than with gas grenades.

The 2 second delay is procing life in case I get frozen which is why I used gas grenades.

Overall, my in game DPS has increased substantially with the bola explosion.

In 1.05 bola radius increase will be a plus. I was looking forward to the numbing of grenades but since I can lay 6 scatters, this should make up for it.

All is well and gameplay is fun.

Took on a lot of arcane, molten, descration elites including phasebeasts. Phasebeasts were the easiest. The chicks with wings and homing fireballs did force me to move some and of course I can take 1 or 2 arcanes but when only 2 elites around with no mobs, it is easier to avoid them since I am there is little loh chain procing.

I can't wait to have more than 1 chain though. I played around with PTR and it is quite nice....

ID is good for damage but it has a higher delay.
so just like the previous poster that suggested it, im going to say the same thing to you. :)
i would suggest you try thunder ball. it has the same explode radius, less delay, stun, but less damage. over all its a better ability. and if your using traps as your main damage source then the stun from bola will keep the mobs from hitting you as much as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]