Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

View profile
Guys,

I'm unable to use PTR due to technical issues.

What's the LoH proc like on EF: Hardened and Strafe: Emberstrafe?
Reply Quote
Guys,

I'm unable to use PTR due to technical issues.

What's the LoH proc like on EF: Hardened and Strafe: Emberstrafe?

Hardened = 50% it has been unchanged
Emberstrafe, it looks like the proc rate changed? im getting about 5%ish can anyone else test its per shot proc. it just looks really low, unless they tacked some on to the ember trail recently. it wasnt procing before.
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 10/2/2012 8:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi Morogoth,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I have been using scatter traps as my 20% shield to make sure I target the damage dealers. I don't really look at them as my main dealers even though they are. Probably because I have been used running grenades, gas, cluster and stun. With stun I understand how this helps on damage dealt while still proccing. I have also run cinder arrows and ball lightning as a hybrid (still kept my tanking gear) I will use this if with mp with monks and barbs.

But what I find very interesting is that the ID seems to inflict final kills more than the traps. Perhaps it is the blow up animation, but I really think arcane resistance on monsters is quite low. Or it could be that once the ID start going off with 2 second delay, the spike traps then also go off. I try to spread out the ID around the mobs so the ID explosion covers all the mobs. Scatter certainly has a spread. I think this focused dual explosion both physical and arcane is really quite powerful. No idea on the math involved in the split second explosion, but ID and Scatter just rock.

I did die with a yellow elite hells angel with arcane, desecrator, jail, and frozen a few times in heaven.

Rok was killed quite easily. Took two tries as I ran out of discipline. I was glooming when he was away from me and I realized I didn't have to.

I also cannot face tank the yellow hammer bosses in the rifts. Almost but not quite.

I think my best attribute is 26% block. I used a higher ranking shield with 18% block and got hammered....
Edited by Chappy#1504 on 10/2/2012 10:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi Morogoth,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I have been using scatter traps as my 20% shield to make sure I target the damage dealers. I don't really look at them as my main dealers even though they are. Probably because I have been used running grenades, gas, cluster and stun. With stun I understand how this helps on damage dealt while still proccing. I have also run cinder arrows and ball lightning as a hybrid (still kept my tanking gear) I will use this if with mp with monks and barbs.

But what I find very interesting is that the ID seems to inflict final kills more than the traps. Perhaps it is the blow up animation, but I really think arcane resistance on monsters is quite low. Or it could be that once the ID start going off with 2 second delay, the spike traps then also go off. I try to spread out the ID around the mobs so the ID explosion covers all the mobs. Scatter certainly has a spread. I think this focused dual explosion both physical and arcane is really quite powerful. No idea on the math involved in the split second explosion, but ID and Scatter just rock.

I did die with a yellow elite hells angel with arcane, desecrator, jail, and frozen a few times in heaven.

Rok was killed quite easily. Took two tries as I ran out of discipline. I was glooming when he was away from me and I realized I didn't have to.

I also cannot face tank the yellow hammer bosses in the rifts. Almost but not quite.

I think my best attribute is 26% block. I used a higher ranking shield with 18% block and got hammered....

ya having high block is always best, preferably 20%+ otherwise too many hits get through. at least if your going to be using a shield.

i just posted this to the front page a while ago.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WhgSjY!fXc!ZaYZYb
its the bola build i like :D
i was using numbing traps passive but cull the weak helps for damage. i suppose any passive could go there though really depending on what you want to do.

another big thing is this build works best with 2h xbow>2h bow>dual wield>1h xbow. this is due to higher damage of course. bola shots have a higher delay then everything else, but it has higher initial damage+aoe damage. then spike traps have high weapon damage as well + aoe damage. jagged spikes are the same way though its dealt as a DoT.

if you have a good LS (+LOH or regen) dps setup then i would think this would be a pretty nice build to farm with.

edit: something else to note about certain builds is the +damage or -hatred typed attributes to gear that you can find.
in this case bola shot and spike trap both have damage modifiers! :D
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 10/2/2012 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
can someone verify some LoH values on the PTR?

Spike Trap: Echoing Blast - 16.5% (50% LoH, 3 explosions)
Evasive Fire: Hardened - 50% (no change to base LoH value)
Vault: Trail of Cinders - 33% per tick (100% LoH, 3 ticks on trail)
Strafe: Emberstrafe - 5% per target and trail is the same (2 ticks on trail)

just to make sure its all correct :)
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 10/2/2012 6:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Guys I dont know if you talked about that, but with the multiple hits you have with the LoH build makes the Hellfire Ring much more interesting.

Think about it.... Fire balls flying in every directions. And the thing is such powerful.
Edited by PureLaine#1705 on 10/2/2012 6:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey everyone, i started following this thread recently because i made a tank dh and ive learned a lot. i am still pretty new at tank dh and i do have some questions for 1.05 that thus far i havent seen come up. first of all i play hardcore so i dont have access to the gfg amazing stuff such as legacy nats, vile ward, etc. those items are rare enough and only affordable for the ultra crazy players. this is my current set-up
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SiNxAvarice-1506/hero/25812182
so now u guys know what i have to work with, my question is what would be the most viable tank solo build for me? i was thinking grenades, cluster, prep, ss, shadow, boar. passives being nightstalker, brooding, and perfectionist. im kinda stuck because in hardcore i dont dare removing ss, sp, or prep. i need ss to break out of jail, frozen, etc. and ive died because i didnt have a way to break cc. sp obviously needed to facetank and prep because in hc i want a backup incase i dont prop enough nightstalker. a lot of the good skills such as turret, traps, scatters, numbing, m4d, etc. cant be used because im forced to have prep and ss. what do you guys think would be the best set-up for me? i havent gotten a chance to use the ptr because of work but once i do ill let you guys know how it goes. feel free to throw out any set-ups or tips u guys have. thanks!
Reply Quote
What's your opinion on the new 5-second gloom in combination with NightStalker? Even without 4pc nat's it has become easy to perma-gloom now. I would even go as far to say that this kinda makes the good old LoH DH tank (which I absolutely loved btw) obsolete...

Tip: combine this with Spike Trap / Echoing Blast for insane proc rates :)

Happy 1.05 tanking everyone!
Reply Quote
What's your opinion on the new 5-second gloom in combination with NightStalker? Even without 4pc nat's it has become easy to perma-gloom now. I would even go as far to say that this kinda makes the good old LoH DH tank (which I absolutely loved btw) obsolete...

You aren't going to perma gloom without legacy nat set.

Gloom w/ perfectionist passive costs 13 discipline.

In 5 seconds you will regen 5 disc.

So you have 8 discipline to come up with using Nightstalker. However, nightstalker is only a CHANCE to get +1 discipline on a crit. You are VERY unlikely to get the 8 discipline you need within those 5 seconds on a consistent basis.
Reply Quote

You aren't going to perma gloom without legacy nat set.

Gloom w/ perfectionist passive costs 13 discipline.

In 5 seconds you will regen 5 disc.

So you have 8 discipline to come up with using Nightstalker. However, nightstalker is only a CHANCE to get +1 discipline on a crit. You are VERY unlikely to get the 8 discipline you need within those 5 seconds on a consistent basis.

nope not "perma" gloom. you can be pretty close to it though. there will likely be some short gaps in between but if your well enough geared it shouldnt matter. this is something i can do right now.

Hey everyone, i started following this thread recently because i made a tank dh and ive learned a lot. i am still pretty new at tank dh and i do have some questions for 1.05 that thus far i havent seen come up. first of all i play hardcore so i dont have access to the gfg amazing stuff such as legacy nats, vile ward, etc. those items are rare enough and only affordable for the ultra crazy players. this is my current set-up
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SiNxAvarice-1506/hero/25812182
so now u guys know what i have to work with, my question is what would be the most viable tank solo build for me? i was thinking grenades, cluster, prep, ss, shadow, boar. passives being nightstalker, brooding, and perfectionist. im kinda stuck because in hardcore i dont dare removing ss, sp, or prep. i need ss to break out of jail, frozen, etc. and ive died because i didnt have a way to break cc. sp obviously needed to facetank and prep because in hc i want a backup incase i dont prop enough nightstalker. a lot of the good skills such as turret, traps, scatters, numbing, m4d, etc. cant be used because im forced to have prep and ss. what do you guys think would be the best set-up for me? i havent gotten a chance to use the ptr because of work but once i do ill let you guys know how it goes. feel free to throw out any set-ups or tips u guys have. thanks!

i think you should look at the front page and decide what you like best. the full tank build labeled [1.05] is the most tanky build of all of them. personally i like the [1.05] hybrid build that uses bola+traps. i havent posted any with ss and gloom because i dont believe both together are needed. not to mention vault will now break cc so its almost unnecessary.

tbh the way your profile is setup you would probably do best with a hybrid build since its closer to dps style. since your gear wont allow you to take heavy hits then try to stay out of the middle of mobs obviously...and i dont suggest the strafe spec since it requires going through mobs.
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 10/3/2012 6:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey guys,

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WhkSjd!fUV!cabbYc

I've been playing around with this build on the PTR, and so far it's been working out really well. I switch back and forth between thunder ball and ID.

Basically if I can last the first 16 seconds to drop all 3 CoT, then I am good. With Vault breaking CC, Gloom and SS aren't really needed, and ToC procs LoH pretty well. Using M4D:ME, with some movement, you can angle all 3 CoT on them, and spam echoing blast.

I've been able to farm up to MP6 pretty efficiently with a xBow+Quiver. Higher MP, I switch to Hand xBow+Shield.
Edited by DBlock#1905 on 10/3/2012 7:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey guys,

I've been playing around with this build on the PTR, and so far it's been working out really well. I switch back and forth between thunder ball and ID.

Basically if I can last the first 16 seconds to drop all 3 CoT, then I am good. With Vault breaking CC, Gloom and SS aren't really needed, and ToC procs LoH pretty well. Using M4D:ME, with some movement, you can angle all 3 CoT on them, and spam echoing blast.

I've been able to farm up to MP6 pretty efficiently with a xBow+Quiver. Higher MP, I switch to Hand xBow+Shield.

If you would go a few posts back, I posted a similar style as to yours but our skill sets vary.

M4D:ME + Echoing + 3 CoTs = unlimited Hatred so to speak for spamming that :) even with Dual Wield ASPD, I could spam it well.

I will however would try out Bola Shot's Bitter pill since I use Smokescreen and not Vault.
Reply Quote
Hey guys,

If you would go a few posts back, I posted a similar style as to yours but our skill sets vary.

M4D:ME + Echoing + 3 CoTs = unlimited Hatred so to speak for spamming that :) even with Dual Wield ASPD, I could spam it well.

I will however would try out Bola Shot's Bitter pill since I use Smokescreen and not Vault.

bola trap works really nice in combination with each other. ive got a build of it posted on the front page for 1.05.

also, ya i hadnt really thought too much about BP till now. ive used ID, VE, and TB though. the new explosion radius should make the disc regen better tbh. so in group situations, which is what its made for, it should be great.
Reply Quote
Fellow tankers, hybrid tank here. Just to pitch in some personal experience for those that are looking to travel down the DPS increase route.

I would highly recommend trying out Cull the weak + Entangling Shot : Justice Served + Elemental Arrow : Frost Arrow
(Does not look all that good on paper, but its VERY strategic)

6 hatred per shot @ 2 attacks per second = almost unlimited elemental arrows
15% bonus on every shot = golden

I pair up Cull the Weak with a high dmg hatred spender as well. In my case Impale Grievous wounds. with the 15% bonus, I get crits of up to 300k+. I can see LoB also being very nasty too.

With 60k+ dmg under gloom (alone, no LOH or LS), you basically refill your hp bar as long as there are a few mobs around. Frost arrow hits hard and with 15% bonus its awesome.

Also, for hybrids, Life on Hit is not as important, I am relying on having +Disc on both bows, which puts me at 49 discipline max. I found this extremely useful as having a bigger disc pool seems to be more effective than trying to regen it. Also, 20%+ movement speed is great, I can clear stuff fast and escape mortars, etc. Get 800 dps + dex + crit dmg + OS + disc on weaps if possible. Those are pretty cheap.

As far as armor, I have noticed that a res all + armor + dps stats is incredibly expensive. So what I have gone for is a compromise of res all/armor + dps stats. 500 res all, almost 4k armor.
Reply Quote
Yeah I agree, bola and traps do work well in tandem. It's fun watching all the AoE lighting up the screen.

What I've been doing is dropping CoT, taking a few steps back, waiting 8 seconds, then vaulting back towards the CoT and dropping another one. wash, rinse, repeat.

But the 700% DoT from SS does sound tempting. Gonna swap out vault for a bit and see how it works out.
Reply Quote
I've been using SS choking gas to extend shadow power lifesteal out.

Near the end of shadow power, hit SS, and get a 5 second heavy damage DoT with tons of lifesteal for all 5 seconds. Or use a 15 second RoV. It is sorta nice to get 17.5 seconds of lifesteal out of one gloom.

It is decent. It isn't as good as ToC, but it is nice.
Reply Quote
i think when 1.05 hits, assuming nothing drastic changes that they havent told us about.
then im going strafe tank. its really fun.
its fun even now, but 1.05 makes it better.

bola trap build will definitely be my backup build though.
Reply Quote
Guys, what would you be using for your follower in 1.05? Would you all stick to enchantress?

I would try scoundrel and see if it works well
Reply Quote
I'd still stick with Enchantress I think, that Armor, even though it's low, would still help. Factor in the +% ASPD buff I take instead of the mass Chickens :)

There's the AoE -% DEF too that makes them a bit squishier while being dealt some damage :)
Reply Quote
Guys, what would you be using for your follower in 1.05? Would you all stick to enchantress?

I would try scoundrel and see if it works well

ive been using the templar this whole time.
still going to use the templar.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]