Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

Turret damage being tripled again! Pew Pew Pew!

Also: Legacy nats = Tank 1.04

Gloom > cast caltrops at 20% lifesteal.

Caltrops lifesteal for 12 seconds

In 12 seconds regenerate 36 disc >

Gloom > cast caltrops
Edited by SteveC#1225 on 10/4/2012 2:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Guys, what would you be using for your follower in 1.05? Would you all stick to enchantress?

I would try scoundrel and see if it works well

ive been using the templar this whole time.
still going to use the templar.

Templar? What skills you use?

I got a low dps hellrack, so i was thinking to use for Scoundrel. I wonder if it works well with tank

BTW strafe demolition works wonderfully as a hatred spender and in 1.05 you can spin out of enemy. Quite ideal for COT. I would be using something similar to the build below. Only things that i may change is for the ferret to be boar if i need more tanking and hungering arrow to bola shot if it procs better

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#akiSdV!bfU!ZbcYcb

@chrizzle: I will use Enchantress if i am going to go for more tanky. My armour is rather low now after all the tinkering

@stevec: Good for you. Nats legacy is still very useful
Reply Quote
Hi, thanks for this awesome informative post!

I currently have full legacy nat's and am in love with using gloom + Chakram razor disk and a -4 chakram chest. What would be the most efficient build for me to keep the gloom+chakram theme?

I'm thinking of adding either a Maras, Skull grasp or SoJ to reduce the Chakram cost further so I can use it as a primary attack. I can already spam it for a good 45 seconds but I want to add sentry to my setup.

I'm thinking:

Chakram - Razor Disk (Primary)
Sentry - Shield
Vault - Trail of Cinders
Shadow Power - Gloom
Companion - Boar
Preparation - Battle Scars

Perfectionist
Archery
Tactical Advantage

I guess my question is if I can increase my EHP by a decent amount at the cost of some dps/MF, will the above skills be enough to keep me alive with 4pc nats in MP10?

My current stats are:
35khp,
300 resists
3300 armor
82k dps
(~250mf pre NV, so I have some wiggle room)
Reply Quote
Hi Guys, what is the ideal resistance to armor ratio? Is it still 10 : 1? I think i might be overstacking AR compared to armor
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 09:23 PMPosted by RaveaAngel
Hi Guys, what is the ideal resistance to armor ratio? Is it still 10 : 1? I think i might be overstacking AR compared to armor

Yes still 10:1 armour resist ratio
Edited by Schatten#3592 on 10/4/2012 10:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 09:23 PMPosted by RaveaAngel

You definitely need to shed some AR for more armor.
Reply Quote
View profile

ive been using the templar this whole time.
still going to use the templar.

Templar? What skills you use?

i think i went straight down the left side.
he really doesnt do much except die :p
...then again i dont need him except for
1) he is a MF mule
2) his buffs

i know i took the heal, the heal over time, and the resource regen.

also, yes strafe works great in 1.04 and 1.05.
i use it now. check my profile, i even have it on the front page :p

i plan to switch to cull the weak though instead of perfectionist. extra dps for me later. :D

edit: also CoT got buffed again making all chains users even better :)
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 10/4/2012 10:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I guess my question is if I can increase my EHP by a decent amount at the cost of some dps/MF, will the above skills be enough to keep me alive with 4pc nats in MP10?

unfortunately elite packs in mp10 kill me :(
white mobs are not prob though but those elites dont even give me a chance.

heres what i found just so yall can compare the MP levels
these are taken as naked damage on elite pack:
ACT3 inferno (live) = 34290
MP0 = avg. 39,285
MP1 = avg. 46,424
MP5 = avg. 95,138
MP10 = avg. 137,289

500 AR 5k armor is 86% mitigation, 140k hits become 20k hits, 14k after permagloom (dodge is unlucky sometimes so not counted).

You can't LoH 14k hits without insane stats. With 3% lifesteal (permagloom), you need to deal 460k dps aoe.

[b]With a 40k weapon swing (about what I am in tanky dps/crit gear@75k dps 2H) and ~1k% weapon damage from skills, you may be ok.

Reply Quote
That isn't counting dodge or block. Granted I have insane stats of 850 AR and 5k armor, I can easily tank blows from elites in acts 1-4 on MP10.
Reply Quote
hello,
what are the main stats i should look for to be a tank dh?
Reply Quote
View profile
hello,
what are the main stats i should look for to be a tank dh?

its listed on the front page
"General Stats"

thats a good guideline of what to expect to need.
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 07:13 AMPosted by DirkGently
That isn't counting dodge or block. Granted I have insane stats of 850 AR and 5k armor, I can easily tank blows from elites in acts 1-4 on MP10.

doesn't it take you about 30 minutes to kill an elite pack in MP10.....
Reply Quote
I got a lucky set drop, which gave me more money in one sale then I ever spent before. So I've been able to make some upgrades. It was a long and difficult road, but I'm back to tanking Act 3 and 4 elites (except perhaps the worst anti-melee molton/plagued/arcane combos where I have to dance around). I've also quadrupled my dps so that I am now quite happy with my clear rate whereas previously I would just be sitting still spamming caltrops and grenades often until after the enrage timer.

I'm with Morogoth... strafe tanking is super fun and a very relaxed and flowing style. I get many complements in game.
Reply Quote
I got a lucky set drop, which gave me more money in one sale then I ever spent before. So I've been able to make some upgrades. It was a long and difficult road, but I'm back to tanking Act 3 and 4 elites (except perhaps the worst anti-melee molton/plagued/arcane combos where I have to dance around). I've also quadrupled my dps so that I am now quite happy with my clear rate whereas previously I would just be sitting still spamming caltrops and grenades often until after the enrage timer.

I'm with Morogoth... strafe tanking is super fun and a very relaxed and flowing style. I get many complements in game.

Cheers buddy, build is looking good. My only suggestiong would be that to improve LoH+Hatred regen, changing gloves from cc-cd to cc-ias may deliver nice results...
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 01:11 PMPosted by jxfuller

doesn't it take you about 30 minutes to kill an elite pack in MP10.....

That should in-fact further my point that I get hammered on more than most people. Also I guess you didn't check the description in the first post about full tanks.
Reply Quote
Meh. So, I think I'm back to DH tanking for a while. Monks tanks I think will be fun in PvP... But the current state of the class is inadequate. Clearing takes much longer since their AoE capability with stacked damage is far lower than DH tanks, as well as less opportunities for LoH procs.

As I was a firm believer in Nat's legacy tanking before.. I'll just like to say that I've since sold that gear off and now have some actual tank gear.

And after my extensive use of tanking with the benefit of 3 disc regen, I can safely say that I have no disc problems whatsoever even without it.
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 09:59 PMPosted by Schatten

Yes still 10:1 armour resist ratio

per every 10 armor has an equivalent protection to 1 resistance.
So yea, 10:1 armor to resitance ratio

However, it is far more difficult to boost armor beyond 6K (for DH) unless you use a Shield. Yet it is easy to get 750 Resistance even without a shield.

THINK:
A piece of Armor say a Bracer can produce +75 Resistance, but can you get a 750 Armor from a bracer? NO! Same goes for Belt. Likewise, how much armor have you got on your Helmet and Chest Piece? I doubt you got 750 on Helment, 750 on Chest too. Those are freakin expensive to the bone!

If you cant attain 10:1 armor to resistance ratio, at least pump Armor as high as you can, and resistance as high as possible to compensate for low Armor.

Other sources of armor/resistance are Rings and Amulets. So juice up.

In most likelihood, you'd attain 5K Armor (2handed weapons), 700~850 Resistance. Nothing is enough. More is not enough. Greed is Good!
Reply Quote
More than 2-3 weeks not playing D3, and honestly have no idea what is going on with D3 right now...

How are items? Dropping like sh!t? i mean price?
How is 1.05?
What is the story?

It is still a game worth playing in 1.05? or move to other games instead?
Reply Quote
View profile
More than 2-3 weeks not playing D3, and honestly have no idea what is going on with D3 right now...

How are items? Dropping like sh!t? i mean price?
How is 1.05?
What is the story?

It is still a game worth playing in 1.05? or move to other games instead?

items are normal imo.
1.05 is about the same as other patch. nerfs so they can give the illusion of buffs.
and here is the recent patch notes:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7390518/Public_Test_Realm_Patch_105_Notes-9_27_2012
(incomplete i might add)
incomplete because they still havent mentioned
-the watchtower zone changes
-the rapid fire change
-the proc change to ember strafe
-the proc change to echoing blast

stealth nerfs that people always say go on, maybe there is something to it... eh?
Reply Quote
Hello everyone,

First I have to say, thank you everyone for your input and ideas for a tank DH. Playing 3 different characters and getting frustrated with later acts on my DH I was about to give up on this game or be forced to farm act 1 forever.

But after reading about this build and how awesome it is for later acts I had to try it and I fell in love. It is so much more fun and simple then the other builds, thinking it was very similar to a melee wizard, which i hated, I thought it was going to be another flop but wow, I am enjoying this game a lot again now that I can farm act 3.

So, the question...

I have just started farming act 3 inferno and in fact this is my first time ever doing so. What is the normal path you guys farm act 3 or what act and where do you farm? I seem to do ok in the barracks and in enclosed areas and usually only die if I get frozen or by those stupid exploding dudes. But, when I go out into the snowy place I get DESTROYED! The bird guys are especially hard to kill.

Just a little advice on the farm route you guys do and if you want to check out my gear and give me a few tips, make sure I'm doing everything ok then that would be awesome to.
(Keep in mind I spent about 3-4 mill on all my gear. Prior to this I was getting almost NO money so when I got my gear I was scrounging for what I could)

That and my current build is basically this

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UhgdVk!XVe!ccYcbb

Recently I switched out spike trap for chakram and just got rid of numbing traps and put custom engineering. It seemed to work better when completely surrounded with no ranged guys attacking me. But i dunno, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for any help! =)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]