Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

I could use some advice on how to improve my DH.

I can't kill Behlial solo in act 2, and I can't get past Ghom in Act 3.

I've tried the standard glass build with ~39k dps but that didn't work.

I've also tried tanking build with LOH. Currently my stats as follows:
-~800 LOH
-600 All resists
-50k hp I think
-15k dps

I still can't kill Ghom. I can sort of face tank him for a while with Shadow Power and Prep, but then once I run out of discipline (only 40 disc) it all goes downhill. I don't have the lasting power to facetank his farts that seems to stack on top of me if I don't move.

I'm getting really frustrated with the game. Any advice will be appreciated.
Reply Quote

-~800 LOH
-600 All resists
-50k hp I think
-15k dps

I still can't kill Ghom. I can sort of face tank him for a while with Shadow Power and Prep, but then once I run out of discipline (only 40 disc) it all goes downhill. I don't have the lasting power to facetank his farts that seems to stack on top of me if I don't move.

more LoH.
a while back they buffed ghom and nerfed the tank build. it use to be you could walk up to ghom with a 10k dps tank and solo him. it took a while, but it was possible.

only way to do it now is out dps it and kite him, or have enough resist, hp, loh/ls to survive the gas.

optionally when you come to one of the bosses you never want to see again (belial...) then you get some help to kill it.
Reply Quote

-~800 LOH
-600 All resists
-50k hp I think
-15k dps

Why do you use numbing traps when you don't use spike trap or caltrops? You definitely need more LoH to facetank Ghom.
Reply Quote
10/08/2012 08:59 PMPosted by Morogoth
Update for you guys, the Boar Companion (tested) and most likley wolf and spider (untested), has been Stealth nerfed and die's Very quickly before its even been cooldowned to be able to spawn another, to the point where its nonviable to have on the action bar. I am Very upset about this because the Boar helped me a tremendous amount for my tank build!

i heard people talking about this i think maybe yesterday or the day before.
i guess im going to have to go test those critters again.

edit: my boar seems to be doing fine. on mp5 he rarely dies. on mp10 (which i have a lot of trouble doing a die alot) the boar dies, but it takes a significant amount of damage to kill him. half the cooldown is over by the time he dies.

sooo.. i think its probably your gear. your pet gets resists/armor/vit/etc. scaled to it from your gear.

I'll hop onto the PTR tomorrow and give this a try, boar seemed fine to me the other day on MP10.
Reply Quote
Why I keep being told to roll a barb when posting about Tank DH stuff ? I never tell anyone to go Tank DH lol what is wrong with those people ?
Reply Quote
I like Tank DH, i am the full tank with 300 MF.
Reply Quote
i heard people talking about this i think maybe yesterday or the day before.
i guess im going to have to go test those critters again.

edit: my boar seems to be doing fine. on mp5 he rarely dies. on mp10 (which i have a lot of trouble doing a die alot) the boar dies, but it takes a significant amount of damage to kill him. half the cooldown is over by the time he dies.

sooo.. i think its probably your gear. your pet gets resists/armor/vit/etc. scaled to it from your gear.

My gear is Pretty well off with 50k hp 800 AR and 2000 loh so i dont think that is the issue, the boar has most deffinatly been hit by a nerf bat for durabilty the more you play it you will notice when you look to check your board health hes been long gone
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 12:55 AMPosted by SoCo
My gear is Pretty well off with 50k hp 800 AR and 2000 loh so i dont think that is the issue, the boar has most deffinatly been hit by a nerf bat for durabilty the more you play it you will notice when you look to check your board health hes been long gone

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Tamagotchi_0124_ubt.jpeg
Reply Quote

-~800 LOH
-600 All resists
-50k hp I think
-15k dps

more LoH.
a while back they buffed ghom and nerfed the tank build. it use to be you could walk up to ghom with a 10k dps tank and solo him. it took a while, but it was possible.

only way to do it now is out dps it and kite him, or have enough resist, hp, loh/ls to survive the gas.

optionally when you come to one of the bosses you never want to see again (belial...) then you get some help to kill it.

How much LOH would I need to aim for? I want to try and kill every boss solo if I can.

Is my resists and hp ok? Just need LOH?
Reply Quote
@Nox

ya, just LoH, your other stat look ok to fight with boss.
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 12:05 AMPosted by PureLaine
Why I keep being told to roll a barb when posting about Tank DH stuff ? I never tell anyone to go Tank DH lol what is wrong with those people ?

There has always been some hate, denial, and outright non-acceptance of the TankDH and its abilities due to it being a non-conformist. It doesnt fit in with the "mainstream" idea of what the DH should be doing and so people dislike it for being different.

So with that, you will always find people that are open minded and willing to give builds a try to better themselves. By the same token you will always have people that can never accept the TankDH and will always point you away to monk/barb because they believe they are the only real tank classes.

How much LOH would I need to aim for? I want to try and kill every boss solo if I can.

Is my resists and hp ok? Just need LOH?

Check the first page "General Stats"
It will give you a guideline of what to expect your stats to be.

Why do you use numbing traps when you don't use spike trap or caltrops? You definitely need more LoH to facetank Ghom.

At the moment I would say NT isnt doing them any good for sure. After 1.05 though NT is activated by grenades. That will make it work just fine.
Reply Quote

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Tamagotchi_0124_ubt.jpeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROEEH5BgqnA&feature=related

Let's be honest. Anything that destroys us now...in a few hundred million worth of gear...is going to make the game damn near unplayable for anyone else. Honestly patch notes are now...just amusing.

Edit: Boar melting because affix damage tripled on elites at mp10?
Edited by SteveC#1225 on 10/10/2012 1:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I will have to disagree. I can facetank ghom with only 1.6k LoH, if you ACTUALLY run with those stats unbuffed, then I don't know what is going on with your game.
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 02:19 PMPosted by DirkGently
I will have to disagree. I can facetank ghom with only 1.6k LoH, if you ACTUALLY run with those stats unbuffed, then I don't know what is going on with your game.

remember its not all about LoH though. its about other damage mit as well.
resists/armor/hp are also only part of the equation.
having the right passives and actives are just as important to your setup. in this case their numbing traps (25% reduction) wasnt being used.
Reply Quote
@DikGently and Morogoth

I know i have post in here a week ago but i have tried what i though was a good build. I would like to have some advice on what i have done !! My dps is way to low (for me) but my surviability is not bad at all. I can tank every mob but my killing time is a bit slow.

I have seen the number in page 1 of that thread about the 50K life - 6k armor - 600 res and 1.9 LoH.
My stats are at 56k life, 4.1k armor, 310 res and 2.4 LoH but with a 2.5k life regen. I know that the life regen is not in that build but i have tried this. All my gear is my testing gear, i have tried to buy every gear with the lesser gold spend. (3.5 mil for everything) And now, i would like to improve that build by buying much better gear and changing some stuff.

What you guys think about every thing ?? I would really like to have some feedback from Morogot and Dirkgently!!

Thanks in advance !!

Nihalkyn
Edited by Nihalkyn#1701 on 10/10/2012 6:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 04:02 PMPosted by Morogoth

remember its not all about LoH though. its about other damage mit as well.
resists/armor/hp are also only part of the equation.
having the right passives and actives are just as important to your setup. in this case their numbing traps (25% reduction) wasnt being used.

Going to be honest, I when making that post there was a clear meaning and intention in my mind but for the life of me I cannot find my train of thought in this thread atm. You are 100% right and sometimes I can forget to bring that additional damage reduction aspect up due to having more defensive stats than 99% of the people in this thread.

Actually come to think of it I think I was merging the posts of SoCo and SteveC in terms of what they were having trouble with and their stats, so yes, my mistake.

@Nihalkyn Not sure how you are maintaining enough damage reduction for tanking with only ~300 resists, however if you are making it work then more power to you. Life regen is an unusual thing to stack so high in addition to LoH, but I guess that does make up for the lack of resists on your build. However, ~300 resists is really low. I am start to run a no-AH DH right now, geared with only dropped items and I am at about 400 resist all from that. Granted that I don't have additional life regen or LoH due to it not being a tank build, it is still fairly squishy even in act 2 on 1.0.4.
Reply Quote
@DikGently and Morogoth
My dps is way to low (for me) but my surviability is not bad at all. I can tank every mob but my killing time is a bit slow.

I have seen the number in page 1 of that thread about the 50K life - 6k armor - 600 res and 1.9 LoH.
My stats are at 56k life, 4.1k armor, 310 res and 2.4 LoH but with a 2.5k life regen.

for DPS there is a few things you can do with your current gear.
*increase primary stat (+200 dex = 3k dps)
*increase crit (+58% crit damage = 3k dps)
*increase ASI (+10% ASI = 2k dps)
*increase weapon DPS (1000DPS+ = 2k+ dps)

As far as the rest of the stats I think the resists and armor are still too low. However, I think its great you decided to go with life regen stacking in addition to LoH. In the past I said how much better it is to stack life regen due to it being a constant ticking source of healing.
Reply Quote
Thank you guys !! I will try to improve my dps by adding some more dex to my gear and adding some more resist too !!

I'm gonna give you some feedback when i'll improve stuff !! Thanks for your reply !!
Reply Quote
I just discovered something nice today. When aid stations are stacked from different players it boosts your life regen. That means 4 aid station + brooding = 5% life regen. But I dont know how to test it for the guardian turret tho.
Reply Quote
10/10/2012 09:37 AMPosted by PureLaine
I just discovered something nice today. When aid stations are stacked from different players it boosts your life regen. That means 4 aid station + brooding = 5% life regen. But I dont know how to test it for the guardian turret tho.

go to normal-hellmode where you can take a substantial amount of hits and just sit there if you wanted. not that you really have to sit there long to figure it out :p

go to weeping hollow
make sure you have no thorns gear on (it will kill the mobs)
lure a zombie (or other single mob) to test area
allow it to hit you a few times to take a base average of damage
put up guardian turret
allow it to hit you a few times to take an average of damage
put up your turret+friend turret
allow it to hit you a few times to take an average of damage

...and there you have it. you will be able to tell:
if the turret stacks and verify its mitigation is working correctly
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 10/10/2012 9:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]