Diablo® III

1.05 Nerfed My DH Build, So I Made a New One

I have a legacy nats set and use gloom to tank in 1.04. Legacy nats alone is not enough to keep gloom up forever so I use nightstalker to help gain it back. It works well with ele arrow lightning since it hits multiple times. I've also been using ToC which not only does awesome damage but steals a ton of life as well. So, new patch, ToC is useless, and glooms damage reduction is cut in half, life steal nerfed by 25% and the duration increased to 5 seconds.

So in the new patch with gloom I'm taking about 2x as much damage as I used too with less life steal, but, I can keep gloom up indefinitely even without nightstalker. This lead me to change up my strategy like so

Active Skills
1.04 --------------------------------------- 1.05
Bola Imminent doom ------------------> Bola Imminent Doom

Bola shot is insanely powerful at 216% weapon damage as a primary attack and a 7yd AoE. In 1.05 it keeps that damage but goes up to 14yd, which means it hits nearly everything. So what if it takes 2 seconds to explode, it does an insane amount of damage to all mobs AND generates hatred. This skill is good enough to be a hatred spender.

Shadow Power Gloom ------------------> Shadow Power Gloom

I'm keeping shadow power with gloom even though its been nerfed (and kinda buffed) The difference now is that it's essentially free and has freed up my disc for other things... But what?

Ele arrow lightning ----------------------> Multishot SF

Elemental arrow lightning does good damage and you can spam the crap out of it. Its slow and hits everything has a wide range and its multiple hits help me regen discipline with nightstalker, but I don't need that much disc anymore and with the buff to bola shot, ele arrow only seems useful for long lines of enemies. I switched it to multishot suppresive fire which does good quick aoe damage and lets me regen disc if I am running out

Vault ToC ---------------------------------> Sentry Guardian Turret

ToC was fun while it lasted but now there's no point. I've pretty much always used vault but now I'm going to go 100% Tank and DPS. Theres no time for running anymore. I'm switching to sentries since they got a nice buff. Chain of torment is a little too difficult to coordinate when you have 3 sentries and mobs to think about, it does good aoe damage but not worth the trouble. I went for guardian turret for the 15% damage reduction, I need to gain back some of that reduction that I lost from the gloom nerf. The turrets really help DPS particularly against single targets, now you have close to 300% damage per second to a single target and a damage reduction for you and your allies.

Sentry has also been switched to a hatred spender now though so I still need another disc spender

Preparation Battle Scars ----------------------> Preparation Battle Scars

This is my oh !@#$ button. For the rare occasions that I do run out of disc or take too much damage (these things go hand in hand) this skill is a life saver even though I do not use it often.

Companion Bat --------------------------------> Caltrops Jagged Spikes

The bat was useful when I had ele arrow, it allowed me to spam it for a long time. But I've moved away from a hatred based damage build. My hatred is now used for multishot to gain disc and for dropping sentries, I can live without the bat but I need to do some more damage, slow down enemies, and reduce their damage, here comes caltrops. This was everyones favorite skill for procing LoH and many people dropped it when that got nerfed. But you know what still works with caltrops? Life steal.

Caltrops does 45% AoE damage per second and you can stack 5 of them for 225% AoE damage per second. Incorporating this into my build is causing me to use enough disc that I need to gain some back which is why I use multishot

Passives

Archery -------------------------> Archery

I use a bow, 15% increased damage is extremely helpful, can't drop this passive

Tactical Advantage -------------> Custom Engineering

This allows 3 sentries out at a time and increases their duration to 1 minute, it also increases my caltrops from 6 seconds to 12 seconds so I don't have to drop them as often, big DPS helper and damage modifier

Night Stalker ------------------------> Numbing Traps

I don't need as much disc anymore so disc on crits isn't necessary. Instead I need to lower the incoming damage since I'm taking more damage from the gloom nerf. Every enemy hit by a sentry or caltrops has their damage reduced for 3 seconds

My total damage reduction in 1.04 with gloom is 91.5% In 1.05 with gloom, caltrops and guardian turret my total damage reduction is 89.5% So I am taking a bit more damage but here's the awesome part. First lets take a look at my DPS

My primary target DPS is Bola (216%) Sentryx3 (264%) Caltrops x5 (225%) For a total of 705% sustained weapon damage per second. My AoE damage is Bola (149%) Caltrops x5 (225%) For a total of 374% sustained weapon damage per second to targets I'm not aiming at. Thats pretty damn good right?

Now lets factor in lifesteal from gloom and see what we get. 15% LS *20% (inferno nerf) = 3% Actual Life Steal My DPS currently is 60k, Life steal abilities hit for 441% (sentries currently don't life steal, this should be fixed) weapon damage which is 264k DPS *.03 = 8,000 Life per second And that is if there is only one target. For each additional enemy I steal an additional 6,500 Life per second

So, this is a rather good tanking build as well as dishing out good DPS. It does require you to stay in a small area so that the guardian turret and caltrops can work. This is the most difficult aspect particularly when fighting certain elites. If you have to move too much you can't drop enough caltrops or sentries and your dps and life steal will suffer possibly getting you killed.

So far I've been doing pretty well in MP lvl 5. I do die if I get hit by too many things at once without getting my buffs up first and I'm still getting used to coordinating my new skills. But I am enjoying the new aspects of the game and figuring out new builds. It feels weird dropping long time favorite skills like vault, companion and ele arrow, but its also fun to play with these new and fun skills.
Reply Quote
In case anyone cares here is my DH. Shortened URL because my username is a bad word XD

http://goo.gl/su71E

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/%^-*les-1730/hero/10365477
Edited by Jiggles#1730 on 9/26/2012 2:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i vaguely remeber reading tht the damage from caltrops doesnt stack anymore, like you cant just drop 3 in 1 spot and get 810% weapon dmg for that area
Reply Quote
In case anyone cares here is my DH. Shortened URL because my username is a bad word XD

http://goo.gl/su71E

THAT was the bad word???? amazed at filter.
Reply Quote
It's a shame there are not more players thinking like you. 95% of them are "WUAA WUAA DH USELESS NOW".
+1 to you man. I like how you take it as a challenge.
Reply Quote
Thanks man this is a good info but somehow i gonna just tweak my build a bit. Prolly gonna use bola shot and switching my multishot rune since gloom is nerfed and i dont have the luxury to stand and shoot multishot fire at will anymore

The only replacemet i am having problem is ToC, i am at lost on what to replace it with.

Btw i gonna keep Gloom because i still need to lifesteal from those nasty reflect damage
Edited by SilverRhythm#6301 on 9/26/2012 4:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/26/2012 03:36 AMPosted by Apollo
i vaguely remeber reading tht the damage from caltrops doesnt stack anymore, like you cant just drop 3 in 1 spot and get 810% weapon dmg for that area

I was afraid of that so I tested it and it does stack.

An interesting note, if you drop caltrops and then use shadow power, it does not life leech, but if you use shadow power then drop caltrops, that caltrops will life leech for the next 12 seconds regardless of whether you have shadow power up or not.

That note could make this (SP + Caltrops) a useful build for someone who is not using a legacy nats set but has high DPS
Reply Quote
Thanks man this is a good info but somehow i gonna just tweak my build a bit. Prolly gonna use bola shot and switching my multishot rune since gloom is nerfed and i dont have the luxury to stand and shoot multishot fire at will anymore

The only replacemet i am having problem is ToC, i am at lost on what to replace it with.

Btw i gonna keep Gloom because i still need to lifesteal from those nasty reflect damage

Caltrops might be useful for you if you keep gloom. It won't do nearly as much damage but it does hit a wider array of targets, slows them, and uses lifesteal ToC was tons of fun the way it would melt enemies away, but if you think about it caltrops can be just as good. If you stack 5 of them they will do half the DPS of 1.04 ToC, but with the right passive they will last 4x as long
Reply Quote
Interesting build, makes me sad that I didn't invest time in a DH (HC one died).

Not sure if I'll try and make a DH again, but who knows?

Probably would cost far too much gold to outfit a decent DH.
Reply Quote
Interesting build, makes me sad that I didn't invest time in a DH (HC one died).

Not sure if I'll try and make a DH again, but who knows?

Probably would cost far too much gold to outfit a decent DH.

I think any char is going to cost a lot to make them decent. Thing is you can make a DH that does more DPS and has more resist than mine for not too much. I'm built around discipline regen which is only available with a legacy nats set and legacy nats sets have ultra !@#$ty stats. Even the best in class legacy nats do not have great stats and they cost a fortune.

10 mil could get you a DH better than mine, it just wouldn't be able to tank like mine does
Reply Quote
Thanks. Switched to pleveling my WD when I heard ToC was getting nerfed, but I'll give this build a shot when 1.05 drops.
Reply Quote
09/26/2012 02:56 PMPosted by Gorthon
Thanks. Switched to pleveling my WD when I heard ToC was getting nerfed, but I'll give this build a shot when 1.05 drops.

I was snoopin your profile and noticed you tried the build out. Howd ya like it?
Reply Quote
I didn't try it out... don't have PTR. Just changed skills so it would be ready when 1.05 drops. I won't be playing much until then.
Reply Quote
Nice changes. But thinking about damage reduction, do you know if with the numbing traps passive, the 20% damage reduction from sentry, grenades, caltrops and fan can stack? even if it is only multiplicatively? It could make you decide to switch the now awesome bola for some grenades (stun grenades is now really funny), and apply more reduction to more enemies at once...
Reply Quote
I still use my old build from 1.04. I haven't had any issues running MP5, but the nat's legacy set probably helps with that. Thinking of dropping smokescreen tho since i barely ever use it anymore. Really just vault and gloom for defense.

Should probably try a few other builds out cause the skills look fun.
Reply Quote
entangling shot doesnt get the respect it deserves

entangling shot + cull the weak is awesome.
Reply Quote
roll barb
Reply Quote
Necro
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]