Diablo® III

Monster Force Clarification

Pretty silly to have the "solution" to MP in public games be - to not allow it. Seriously? If I didn't have a group of RL friends that I ran with regularly, I would be *pissed*. Post-patch, assuming massive changes aren't made to the system before then, a minimum of monster level 1 will be mandatory if you have any interest at all in not completely wasting your time. It can't be that hard to use the test server to figure out an actual solution to this, seriously.
Reply Quote
As I see right now.... multiple public games will be opened, fill up with 4 players, and someone will ask...
"Hey guys let's go monster power 5?"
If the other players accept it, someone will create the game in monster power 5, and invite the guys from the public game using that damn "recent players" tab.

Public games will become the new chatrooms.... how revolutionary :P
Reply Quote
In my opinion it is worse to have MP disabled for public games than to have it enabled.

No matter if it is disabled or enabled it will be a lot harder to get into a public game after the patch. Especially for hardcore mode. If it's disabled then most people would most likely choose to not do public games. If it's enabled instead, you will have as you said larger matchmaking pools making it harder for people to get into public games.

Make MP something individual that would only affect your own stats instead of monster's health and damage. If one MP means 10% more damage from monsters, change it to a 10% reduction of dps, armor and resistance. I imagine this would be just as easy to code as changing a monsters stats. This would also make it possible to add it to public games without increasing the matchmaking pools.

Regarding "leeching", while it's a problem, it will always be there. With or without MP. There is always vote kick to sort out these issues.

This would be bad....
I mean... if I create a 0MP public game and someone comes in with a 10MP setting, that guy, unless damn powerful, would just bump the power of everything for me.... and I'd be stuck essentially alone in a multiplayer game as the other guy would be nearly worthless unless he's so damn powerful it doesn't make a difference....

alternatively, you can get a pretty damn powerful guy, make it create a game with MP0, then 3 guys fully equiped with MF Stuff enter the game with MP10 and just fall back while the pretty powerful guy wipes out the MP0 monsters the other 3 guys just feast in MP10 loot... lol.

MP in public games could be ajusted acording to the lowest setting between players or something like this...

I mean, if the 4 players are in 1, 4, 7 and 10 MP, then the game is set to 1....
this way no one would play a game they can't handle and if everyone is hoping for high monster power then the game would provide it for them.

Not a perfect solution, but better than just set it to 0, IMO.

What you describes is "leeching" and this will always be a problem no matter if MP is disabled or enabled for public games. It's a easy problem to deal with for players, just use vote kick.
Reply Quote
t doesn't work for Public Games. If Monster Power is on, you cannot make your game public. Similarly, when making a public game, Monster Power is disabled.

As you've noted, there are a few issues with allowing MP in Public Games:

In general, harder content tends to be less enjoyable with random strangers.*
It would make matchmaking more difficult by increasing the number of matchmaking pools (one new pool for each MP level). In turn, that could increase wait times.
Issues associated with "leeching" or similar behavior could be exacerbated, especially if under-geared players chose extremely high Monster Power levels for the games they wanted to be matched into.

Although we love and support co-op, since Monster Power is a new system, we didn't want to open it up to Public Games just yet. We're definitely open to revisiting that idea down the road, though.

*Your mileage may vary.

In my experience, after a few minutes the new players joining and leaving a game, people will stick to the game they're in for a while (till the end of an act). I would suggest that at the start of a public game the MP level auto sets to 0. After about a 5 minute cooldown, the MP level can be set by vote (much like vote-kick voting). If a player joins once a MP level has been voted in, a vote to maintain current MP level is auto-initiated. Now, I do experience players joining and leaving real quick, so the re-vote would have to auto-cancel if the player who caused the auto-initiated vote leaves before the vote is finished. The vote should have a 90 second timer on it to maintain the MP level should it go uncontested. Of course the vote box should be a smaller box to the side like vote-kicking, and unobtrusive and hazardous like the boss/cinematic verification box (which needs to be changed by the way).

I enjoy public games and would like to tear through the hordes of hell with my fellow nephalem at various Monster Powers.
Reply Quote
this seems like a bad idea for public games... so if I'm on MP1 and I queue for a public game I can randomly be stuck in a MP10 game?

It doesn't work for Public Games. If Monster Power is on, you cannot make your game public. Similarly, when making a public game, Monster Power is disabled.

• In general, harder content tends to be less enjoyable with random strangers.*
  • It would make matchmaking more difficult by increasing the number of matchmaking pools (one new pool for each MP level). In turn, that could increase wait times.
  • Issues associated with "leeching" or similar behavior could be exacerbated, especially if under-geared players chose extremely high Monster Power levels for the games they wanted to be matched into.

Although we love and support co-op, since Monster Power is a new system, we didn't want to open it up to Public Games just yet. We're definitely open to revisiting that idea down the road, though.

*Your mileage may vary.

Come on no one want to play with no monster level, at least choose monster level 2-4 as a baseline for public. This is a giant step backwards in terms of coop in public games. I actually like jumping into a public game instead of farming alone and even carrying, plus that is why we have a kick feature you can kick players if they are not pulling their weight.
Edited by SWAV#1980 on 9/27/2012 1:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/27/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Lylirra
this seems like a bad idea for public games... so if I'm on MP1 and I queue for a public game I can randomly be stuck in a MP10 game?

It doesn't work for Public Games. If Monster Power is on, you cannot make your game public. Similarly, when making a public game, Monster Power is disabled.

• It would make matchmaking more difficult by increasing the number of matchmaking pools (one new pool for each MP level). In turn, that could increase wait times.
  • Issues associated with "leeching" or similar behavior could be exacerbated, especially if under-geared players chose extremely high Monster Power levels for the games they wanted to be matched into.

*Your mileage may vary.

Mmmmm, while I understand the logic behind, I also think we should find more ways to promote co-op because with MP, it looks like very few people are going to join Public Games. This is an online game and I think promoting teaming is the best way to increase the longevity of this game.

I think with each MP level, you get 25% GF and MF. And since teaming in public doesn't have that bonus, you are going to lose out on a lot of MF/GF% in a public game. Not good. :(
Reply Quote
I just assumed that multiplayer wouldn't be taking any more black eyes from 1.0.5 onwards. Then I read this?

I do buy the explanation. MP is a new mechanic and opening it to public games without knowing the consequences would be opening the door to disaster.

I don't claim to know what the best solution is, but the problem with Diablo III's multiplayer needs to be addressed in a big way instead of continually getting worse with each successive patch. People said that multiplayer was counter-productive on launch -- and it's only gotten worse since then.

Simply put -- Why would anyone play public games when MP is globally disabled? Did anyone at Blizzard ever ask this question? Or even think of it?
Reply Quote

*Your mileage may vary.

LMAO.. You do realize that this will completely destroy Pub games right?
When 1.05 goes live pub games are going to be obsolete because everyone will be playing with Power level 1+ rather than 0. This is a multiplayer game and requires the internet. Public games SHOULDN'T be restricted by any means. My friends list is 0 right now because everyone has quit this game so if I want to play with MPL i have to play solo?? That's so lame, just make the game offline play so I don't have to log in using the authenticator all the time. I have only tested the PTR in private games by myself and honestly it is very boring, some people rather play with others than by themself, and this system right here is mainly for those who have over 10 friends or love to play solo. Blizzard needs to start thinking about ALL of the players instead of a select few.

Edit:: Easy fix to the matchmaking problem is having the MPL selection IN GAME!!!. Why is it every time i want to change MPL or check the AH i have to leave the game?? Both should be available in-game.
Edited by Jables#1843 on 9/27/2012 1:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/27/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Jables

*Your mileage may vary.

When 1.05 goes live pub games are going to be obsolete because everyone will be playing with Power level 1+ rather than 0. This is a multiplayer game and requires the internet. Public games SHOULDN'T be restricted by any means. My friends list is 0 right now because everyone has quit this game so if I want to play with MPL i have to play solo?? That's so lame, just make the game offline play so I don't have to log in using the authenticator all the time. I have only tested the PTR in private games by myself and honestly it is very boring, some people rather play with others than by themself, and this system right here is mainly for those who have over 10 friends or love to play solo. Blizzard needs to start thinking about ALL of the players instead of a select few.

Edit:: Easy fix to the matchmaking problem is having the MPL selection IN GAME!!!. Why is it every time i want to change MPL or check the AH i have to leave the game?? Both should be available in-game.

the way i see it this dose benefit everyone including you mp 0 or off is much easier then current 1.0.4 so continue to join public games if you want your kill speed will increase drastically over what it currently is. Thus effectively giving you more drops. if you want to play solo u can still do so at mp 0 or above depending on the rewards you want. Just because blizzard them selfs are not randomly putting you in a game at say mp5 does not mean you can not come on forums looking for a group to farm with you and or join the looking for group chat. I myself will try to avoid public games when patch goes live simply because 1. solo is faster more xp if i up mp to even 1 and 2. my wife plays this game with me and i still have some friends i met in public games that like to play

so instead of complaining about not having any friends that still want to play diablo 3 online why not take the time now before 1.0.5 hits and make some friends in public games?
Reply Quote

the way i see it this dose benefit everyone including you mp 0 or off is much easier then current 1.0.4 so continue to join public games if you want your kill speed will increase drastically over what it currently is. Thus effectively giving you more drops. if you want to play solo u can still do so at mp 0 or above depending on the rewards you want. Just because blizzard them selfs are not randomly putting you in a game at say mp5 does not mean you can not come on forums looking for a group to farm with you and or join the looking for group chat. I myself will try to avoid public games when patch goes live simply because 1. solo is faster more xp if i up mp to even 1 and 2. my wife plays this game with me and i still have some friends i met in public games that like to play

so instead of complaining about not having any friends that still want to play diablo 3 online why not take the time now before 1.0.5 hits and make some friends in public games?

Hiow does playing ML-0 benefit anyone?? yes it is easy but the rewards compared to ML-5 is worse. So if I want to play public I have to forfeit the chance to find items.. Yup sounds like D3 to me. Items drops are so horrible in this game, even in the PTR its bad. Only way to get good items is to increase the ML which doesn't benefit me at all because I can't do it in public games.
And about finding friends on here or in game isn't for me, I am a private person who has a select few people on my Friends list who I know personally. I don't want some random person on my friends list.
Reply Quote
again you can always go into looking for group chat to find a group.

as for loot upping mp lvl does not make more loot drop just increases your MF
your complaint is no different then people with mf get more loot then me
either accept the fact that you can kill faster in mp0 public game effectivly giving you more loot or play solo with mp bumped up raising your mf to give you more loot either way you get more loot and except in act 1 or 2 your loot will not be "better" u just have more mf to get more loot
and if you can run mp 1 in act 1 or 2 then you can farm act 3 mp 0 just fine in public games as mp 1 makes all acts essentially the same difficulty
Edited by FiSH#1988 on 9/27/2012 2:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote

*Your mileage may vary.

This is well thought out. I'm glad you guys understand the issues behind people leeching off stronger players in public games, and public games not always being a fruitful experience due to the quality of players your paired with and or working with strangers. Though I dont usually mind a weaker person in my party, runs can be pretty painful if you have players who shouldn't be there, a player in town, and another playing ID his stuff while you down elites by yourself.

You make me proud.
Reply Quote
View profile
How about requiring a minimum paragon level for MP over 2/3 in public games only (for example paragon lvl 10 required to search for MP4, paragon lvl 20 required to search for MP5 etc.). Obviously paragon level doesn't always indicate gear level it does indicate experience on the character being played. If you have played a character for long enough to get the paragon level requirements set you should know whether or not you can handle going up 1 MP lvl in a public game and can't go up to super high MP level to leech off people without investing a lot of time into a character.

I kind of like this idea although I would require higher levels of Paragon level to unlock the monster levels in public games. It doesn't take much to get PL 10 or 20.
Reply Quote
MP to me only seems fun with public..
Reply Quote
I never intended to beat my head against a brick wall and try MP10 public.

I have a friends list for that kind of multiplayer masochism.
Reply Quote
Can simply put options for the different MP in public games, like it only searching upon what you selected.

I don't see why this would be a huge deal even coding wise, you'll show 'games available for monster power 6' ect ect. Just be like one huge filter, would probably have to relax the match making settings a little to compensate but would be worth it.

I've met most of my friend list in public games, if it stays monster power 0 I will never play them, plain and simple. Monster power 0 is useless for players like me. Y'know not all public game players are noob leechers.
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 9/27/2012 4:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You can invite your friends to an MP1-10 game as is. The mod didn't say it would NEVER be implemented in public games, he/she said that they were working on a way to make it a balanced and smooth experience. I read through most of these threads and 90% are full of rants and brats' incessant whining.

"Please Blizzard, items are boring, more items!" "No Blizzard! You added items that are too godly and now my gear isn't best in slot!" "More changes plz!" "No changes Blizz stick to what works!". My goodness, I feel for Blizzard. It's like living in a mansion full of whining kids, tugging at your shirt.

They're going to do what needs to be done, but they're going to make sure it's done right, and take all the time they need. I commend them for that, and I'm sure they know a bit more about designing and maintaining games than we do, or else we'd be patching the game and they'd be here QQing on the forums.

And please, spare the "Blizz fanboy" remarks. This is probably the only case where people expect a 60 dollar purchase to provide them with 2000+ hours of entertainment that will not get dull or repetitive for any amount of time, ever. Wake up folks.
Reply Quote
09/27/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Outlaw
This is probably the only case where people expect a 60 dollar purchase to provide them with 2000+ hours of entertainment that will not get dull or repetitive for any amount of time,

you mean like d2 ?
Reply Quote

*Your mileage may vary.

Only casuals who have no idea what monster power is will join public games. since MP0 = crap loot for anyone with a brain.

The problems you have stated are not due to Monster Power. The problem is that the public game system is poorly designed.

We should be able to see a list that summarizes the number of people in each quest and monster power, and then select the quest and monster power we wish to join. Having to wait a bit to join a game, is better than not being to play public at all. Please implement this for 1.06.
Reply Quote
It doesn't work for Public Games.

You could average it in public games, or have some sort of voting system in game where people can choose which difficulty they want and therefore get everyone else to agree/disagree and so on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]