Diablo® III

Monster Force Clarification

09/27/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Lylirra
this seems like a bad idea for public games... so if I'm on MP1 and I queue for a public game I can randomly be stuck in a MP10 game?

It doesn't work for Public Games. If Monster Power is on, you cannot make your game public. Similarly, when making a public game, Monster Power is disabled.

As you've noted, there are a few issues with allowing MP in Public Games:
  • In general, harder content tends to be less enjoyable with random strangers.*
  • It would make matchmaking more difficult by increasing the number of matchmaking pools (one new pool for each MP level). In turn, that could increase wait times.
  • Issues associated with "leeching" or similar behavior could be exacerbated, especially if under-geared players chose extremely high Monster Power levels for the games they wanted to be matched into.

Although we love and support co-op, since Monster Power is a new system, we didn't want to open it up to Public Games just yet. We're definitely open to revisiting that idea down the road, though.

*Your mileage may vary.

Hi,

Just an idea. How about a simple check mark when creating a game that allows you to create:

A) A public game

or

B)A private game. Only people you invite personally can join. MP remains active.

That way you get all the perks, and no complications. No increase of games created. No random strangers leeching.

Thoughts?
Edited by Deschain#1470 on 9/27/2012 5:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Here's my suggestion for the public game thing.

Rather than having 10 pools of public games why not have a few pools as follows:

0 - 1 MP = pool 1
2 - 4 MP = pool 2
5 - 7 MP = pool 3
8 - 9 MP = pool 4
10 MP = pool 5

That is at least my idea from trying out monster power, since those are the levels I feel that are fairly close to each other.

As far as individual monster power levels set in public games with this layout the MP possibly could be added between the players and averaged (round down if below .5 otherwise round up).

EXAMPLE:
If in a public 4 player game of 2 - 4 MP there is 2 players with setting 2, 1 with 3 and one with 4 the MP of the public game would be 3.
Edited by Rathul#1268 on 9/27/2012 6:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Here's my suggestion for the public game thing.

Rather than having 10 pools of public games why not have a few pools as follows:

0 - 1 MP = pool 1
2 - 4 MP = pool 2
5 - 7 MP = pool 3
8 - 9 MP = pool 4
10 MP = pool 5

Yea this would also be pretty good imo.

So when you either create or join a public game you'd choose the Monster Level OUTSIDE the game and then create/join that Monster Level game.

Amazing what people can come up with...
Reply Quote
Well, there goes multiplayer : /
Reply Quote
09/27/2012 11:50 AMPosted by GenghisKhan
set the mp to be relative to the player. if you are mp 10 and the other guy is mp 0 the mp 0 guy smashes all and the mp 10 has hard times. but since the rewards are relative the perks are relative. then don't use xp bonus' in multi, instead, us the current xp distro. if a player is below default then the ytake the penalty across all types of games.

You want monster HP to change based on who is hitting it? Seriously???
No, he wants everything but health to change. As changing the health would easily lead to desynchronization between the players.
Reply Quote
this seems like a bad idea for public games... so if I'm on MP1 and I queue for a public game I can randomly be stuck in a MP10 game?

It doesn't work for Public Games. If Monster Power is on, you cannot make your game public. Similarly, when making a public game, Monster Power is disabled.

• It would make matchmaking more difficult by increasing the number of matchmaking pools (one new pool for each MP level). In turn, that could increase wait times.
  • Issues associated with "leeching" or similar behavior could be exacerbated, especially if under-geared players chose extremely high Monster Power levels for the games they wanted to be matched into.

Although we love and support co-op, since Monster Power is a new system, we didn't want to open it up to Public Games just yet. We're definitely open to revisiting that idea down the road, though.

*Your mileage may vary.

this is because you still refuse to add a patch that will enable us to create a game, name it, and make it browseable so we can multiplayer on a monster power level that we want
Reply Quote
Public games should AT LEAST be able to have MP1. No one is going to want to play acts 1 or 2 at MP0 given that items roll affixes based on monster level now. I dont think allowing the first level of monster power in public games would cause too many problems. Wait time to join a public game now is practically zero in my experience so I doubt having two matchmaking pools would change it all that much.
Reply Quote
i completely understand that creating 10 search pools is unreasonable and you would get a lot of leechers in higher lvl games. but - i like playing public games when my friends arent on. and i have no reason to play at monster level 0. its too easy for me and i would be missing out on all of the bonuses from bumping the level up. so now i would be forced to play solo if my friends werent on.

i think it would be fair to allow monster level 1. monster level 1 is easier then the current 1.04 patch, and i think the current difficulty is pretty solid for public games in my opinion. at least give us the ability to play level 1 - just so that all monsters are level 63.
Reply Quote
- Player: is Diablo 3 a coop game?
- Blizzord: Nope

Edit: Allow players to name games, problem solved.
Edited by Rom#2558 on 9/28/2012 3:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
For the last weeks I enjoy playing act 3 Inferno with my WD. Sometimes it's harder because the rest is weaker than me, sometimes it gets a lot easier because there is some WW Barbarian facerolling through the crowd to show off.

My point is that "most" people can manage act3 inferno for now, which is the most difficult part. And now you're making all of inferno (monster level 0) easier.

Sorry, but before I managed to play my WD (before the pet-patch) I had to play my barbarian alone in act1 (because his skill setup didn't work in groups), and it was aweful. I didn't enjoy it much because there was no partyplay.

My point is, you more or less force people to use the monster level because you're making everything easier, but then when they are at that level you don't allow them to play coop. This sucks and I'll probably wait "down the road" to return to play on a regular basis, or enjoy PvP till the day comes that I can find enjoyable multiplayer games once again.
I can understand if this takes work, and you want to release the patch fast, but please work on the multiplayer aspect a.s.a.p.
Reply Quote
It should take an average of MP settings of all public players, this should be able to change and generate new values when people leave and join. This would seem to be the only way. One would think if you don't do this you ruin Public games and make your game look slightly retarded for having a big hole in it. Otherwise I guess we need to somehow make friends for Multi-Player so having a new chat channel dedicated for Multi-Play should be in order (or some new system that allows Multi-Player match making for MP levels). Anyways something should be done to resolve the elephant in the room.
Reply Quote

*Your mileage may vary.

So what is the difference between carrying 5-10 people in your WoW LFR and carrying 1-3 people in D3? I honestly don't see a difference.
Reply Quote

*Your mileage may vary.

There are no public games anyways, so it's a non-issue.
Reply Quote
Way to discourage public games.

Some people don't have friends to play with, they like to play with random people, many of this people understand the challenges of playing with strangers and don't rage when someone "noob" isn't performing well.
Reply Quote
I was happy with Monster Power, finally I would be able to play a full room public game with geared people and have some fun instead of just watch a single DH killing everything in 3 seconds.
Reply Quote

*Your mileage may vary.
This has to be done for Hardcore. Imagine queue'ing up for a public game in HC, and suddenly finding out it's MP10 and getting wiped.

Good for you, Blizzard!
Reply Quote
New entrants into inferno will be only the undergeared and end up disillusioned with the lack of good players in multiplayer pub games to join. All higher levels of player will leave for MP=1 or higher.

And seriously? Are you willling to have 500 friends on your list just so you have enough people to play a 4 player private game when you are online? I am online in pacific time zone late at nights and its quiet enough as it is at that time.

Death of pub games will lead to fewer people playing Diablo and everybody loses whether you use the AH or not.

On a side note, i think this is more important than the emphasis on diversity, diversity will be useless if there arent people to play and support the game.

Monster Power should be made =1 in pub games. Tone down the difficulty for MP=1 if you have to but the player base in pub games must be maintained.

Additional discussion in ptr forum as well.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794030436#7
Reply Quote
09/27/2012 10:12 AMPosted by Lylirra
What about the PVP?

PvP is still currently scheduled for 1.1.0.

Which will be release around Christmas time.

A legit question; Is monster power displayed anywhere when you join a MP game? Or do we have to prepare ourselves for "OMFG what MP level is this?!?!"

I'm betting it's not, since Blizz banned my D3 forum account for hate speech when it wasn't even remotely close to it. Just plain bad at planning things and have to have your community do it all for you :/ Least we will get the game going in the right direction - Sadly you all still get paid for it.
Reply Quote

Please do - at least MP1. (More if the player base can support it)

This would allow people to revisit A1 & A2 with the monsters all iLvl 63.
Reply Quote
We know they wont have selectable monster power in 1.05 and their plan was to set MP=0 for pub games. That was addressed in this thread already. They need to stop additional stratification of the player base.

Not to bring up a D2 comparison but i will. D2 Baal runs could have had players from levels 1 to 99. Everyone was in the same boat and pub games were immensely popular. Imagine a server where only lvl 90-99 were allowed to play because their gear was good enough and everyone else was relegated to another server where no lvl 90-99 would choose to play in because the drops were better in the lvl 90-99 server. If you were undergeared and needed good drops to advance, what would you think about the situation?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]