Diablo® III

Rate the Monk Above You Part 3

ill Way better than mine. hard to critique someone that I'm miles away from.

My monk is still work in progress. Maybe a little advice?
Critique my monk please. I've been having a hard time racking my brains to see which piece i could upgrade more. I know i need to get more hp, but I don't know how without sacrificing other stats.
@Stuffy. You have pretty awesome gear. I'm guessing inferno isn't much of a challenge for you. But maybe get some gloves with some crit damage, crit chance, and attack speed. Otherwise I don't think there are really any upgrades left for you that'd make much difference
10/07/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Sharenis
Critique my monk please. I've been having a hard time racking my brains to see which piece i could upgrade more. I know i need to get more hp, but I don't know how without sacrificing other stats.

biggest problem i see with your gear is that you aren't stacking an elemental resistance. for example, all my gear has lightning resistance on it to use with OWE. start there then post on one of these threads again.
@JohnnyBravo. I am thinking dropping the inna's head for an andariel with socket. But it would drop me to 25K health. Which is really not good. I do serenity clock which is a timer for elite's when the serenity is over so are the elites if not then wait for CD then go at it again. Usually it takes me 15 mins to do my runs. Trifecta would really change everything but they are so hard to find except on AH which is like crazy price.
I dislike using OWE, because it severely limits your gear choices (as you mentioned, I'd have to look for gear with lightning resist).

Maybe I should elaborate: The way I play my monk is not by stacking an ele resist like most monks do which makes OWE a mandatory passive, but by balancing out dps stats and defensive stats, with a primary focus on armor. My rationale for this is that incoming damage is reduced by armor before resists, not to mention with STI, 1 point of dex gives you armor, dodge, and dps at the same time.

With my current gear setup and build I am able to solo farm inferno efficiently with minimal deaths. However, I would like to get my armor/resists/hp up without compromising any current dps stats I have now. That is my dilemma.

The mantra I use is MOC: Overawe.
Edited by Sharenis#6818 on 10/7/2012 5:41 PM PDT
@Sharenis. I would likely to agree on you on some points. Taking this into consideration you have already a pretty nice DPS going on there and nice resist. I'd say about 200+ crit hit dmg? 600+ LOH. That is a pretty neat setup. Versatile on groups as well as solo. But if there is one thing I have learn as monk since the opening of this game, SPEED always defines the winner. Again I am not against your build it show flexibility and fun. But if you can kill and run faster wouldn't that be awesome?
btw, i'd really like advice on what to do with my monk next
Okay i have 30 mill for upgrades can someone please give me a rate and items i need to improve!!!
@JohnnyBravo. If you can maintain that resist and that vitality and Pump in more Dex that would be awesome. You need speed IAS to be able to punch those crits faster.
10/07/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Stuffy
@Sharenis. I would likely to agree on you on some points. Taking this into consideration you have already a pretty nice DPS going on there and nice resist. I'd say about 200+ crit hit dmg? 600+ LOH. That is a pretty neat setup. Versatile on groups as well as solo. But if there is one thing I have learn as monk since the opening of this game, SPEED always defines the winner. Again I am not against your build it show flexibility and fun. But if you can kill and run faster wouldn't that be awesome?

I can decimate act 3 currently running with MOC:Overawe. DPS isn't a problem here. My weak points are molten mobs and horde + fast mobs that hit me faster than I can heal.
Overall, about 2-3 deaths per full act 3 clear, but I would really like to reduce it to 1 or even none.
Group and solo play is not a problem atm, I am able to tank for a max party without swapping any gear/skills.

Getting from place to place with 24% runspeed from gear is pretty sweet as well, the only way I could improve my runspeed is to swap out a passive. Do you think its worth it?
Edited by Sharenis#6818 on 10/7/2012 5:59 PM PDT
@ Robatron

I would start off with replacing your helm, looks like its left over from a previous sword and board build. I would recommend going for either Inna's eventually if you plan on going for the 4 set, or if you dont want to go that expensive route perhaps a new madstone with either FoT or SW damage on it, with a crit roll as the random stat. After that probably your gloves, they have decent stats but you could probably pick up an equivlent rare with either attack speed or crit damage in addition for not too much. Final thing Ill add is that I have a personal preference for speedy builds so maybe try and find some boots with 12% move on them, sexy dex on the ones you currently have tho :D

Looking for comments on my 2h gearing. Attempting to use a infinite Tempest rush/Bells build that can generate spirit while on the move with rush. If you have any recomendations for gear with spirit regen on it outside of swapping skorn for a diabo I would love to hear it. Also due to the bursty nature of my damage is it even worth it to swap my life per second for a skorn with lifesteal eventually?
@Sharenis. Good solid build, would like to see you with some more LOH or even L.S. Could get another 400 from rings if you wanted but possibly some L.S. on your offhand would be easier?
Regarding the runspeed question i don't consider myself smart enough to answer that.
>Zergi. Nice monk. Not much complaints here on any of it. I particularly like your two handed weapon, and I also like the skills you employ. Only thing I can think of is get some sockets on the pants.
@ Robatron

I would start off with replacing your helm, looks like its left over from a previous sword and board build. I would recommend going for either Inna's eventually if you plan on going for the 4 set, or if you dont want to go that expensive route perhaps a new madstone with either FoT or SW damage on it, with a crit roll as the random stat. After that probably your gloves, they have decent stats but you could probably pick up an equivlent rare with either attack speed or crit damage in addition for not too much. Final thing Ill add is that I have a personal preference for speedy builds so maybe try and find some boots with 12% move on them, sexy dex on the ones you currently have tho :D

Looking for comments on my 2h gearing. Attempting to use a infinite Tempest rush/Bells build that can generate spirit while on the move with rush. If you have any recomendations for gear with spirit regen on it outside of swapping skorn for a diabo I would love to hear it. Also due to the bursty nature of my damage is it even worth it to swap my life per second for a skorn with lifesteal eventually?

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about 2h monks, so I cannot give you advice in that area. However, from personal experience, lifesteal is a good way to go if you can afford it, since it essentially negates reflect damage mobs. The burst nature of your damage that you mentioned can be worked around by timing your bursts with your healing needed. This would take a lot of practice of course, but it is doable.

I would have recommended getting LOH gear but that does not work well with burst damage type monks.
10/07/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Sharenis
Getting from place to place with 24% runspeed from gear is pretty sweet as well

I agree. Had to dish out combination strike for that extra +10% + 24% to play with those light sabers (Arcane). Well you can actually play it with combo. I would assume that you pull monsters activate sweeping and kick the !@#$ out of them pop breath kick them some more here comes the elite pull them again kick the %^-* out of them, hit the ouch button (serenity) while all the while spamming OVERAWE. You take them face to face, It's like telling them "F**K you! I will kill you like right now." Try to use sweeping + teleport(Thunderclap) + blind + breath + serenity and spam spam spam OVERAWE. I doubt that there will be monsters after that.
@Sharenis. Good solid build, would like to see you with some more LOH or even L.S. Could get another 400 from rings if you wanted but possibly some L.S. on your offhand would be easier?
Regarding the runspeed question i don't consider myself smart enough to answer that.

I have thought about that, however to get the stats you mentioned without sacrificing other stats I would either have to be incredibly lucky with drops or pay exorbitant amounts of gold for such items. Not to mention, said items are already rarely seen on the AH (I've been looking everyday).
Edited by Sharenis#6818 on 10/7/2012 6:21 PM PDT
Getting from place to place with 24% runspeed from gear is pretty sweet as well

I agree. Had to dish out combination strike for that extra +10% + 24% to play with those light sabers (Arcane). Well you can actually play it with combo. I would assume that you pull monsters activate sweeping and kick the !@#$ out of them pop breath kick them some more here comes the elite pull them again kick the %^-* out of them, hit the ouch button (serenity) while all the while spamming OVERAWE. You take them face to face, It's like telling them "F**K you! I will kill you like right now." Try to use sweeping + teleport(Thunderclap) + blind + breath + serenity and spam spam spam OVERAWE. I doubt that there will be monsters after that.

A man after my own heart. I live to bash mobs in the face with my fists. Which skill would you recommend swapping out for blind? I only use cyclone strike for when I'm partying with a majority ranged group since it improves their dps uptime. When running solo, I use exploding palm: burning essence since it is both useful in aoe and single target fights. The dot ticks for 30k a second with my current gear.

Note: I never have to use breath as a heal when I'm fighting normal mobs, no matter how many there are. Exploding palm takes care of large groups pretty quick. It is just for the 15% damage buff.
Edited by Sharenis#6818 on 10/7/2012 6:23 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]