Diablo® III

Diablo 3: A Deconstruction

Most thoughtful post on the problems surrounding D3 that I have read. Great job, OP.
Bump for the best thread in any forum!

Thanks to CoolHandLuke for summing it up so well!

This really should be posted above every Devs monitor to remind them what this game should be!

I just hope it does get seen by a Blue and forwarded,but there's been quite a lack of response about any of the issues brought up so far,sadly.

keep replying/bumping to keep this thread visible,maybe there's hope.
lol you don't get poisoned in this game. you just take damage while standing 3 yards from it.
He didn't even delve into Battle.net either ><

Honestly the core systems won't change. They can't and never will.

It's amazing how smart some of the Blizz fans are; many devs would kill for this honest constructive criticism. But Blizzard is smart too, and there's probably a lot going on that we can't tell behind the scenes.

The interesting thing is that while there were occasional posts during the beta, no one really had the game figured out, nor could we guess how the final meta-game would be. I personally thought it was cool that spells used weapon damage (initially)... finally level 1 spells would still be relevant at max level!... Finally casters and meleers would both have equal desires for weapons (rather than only meleers/ranged being dependent on weapon).

The other thing that is really different I find, is that Diablo 2 was about uniques, runewords, etc... but generally no one cared about rares. You'd do Meph runs and just ignore the rare drops. But in D3, because legendaries are so far from everyone's reach (excluding AH), the game became about rares... and rares quite frankly are not fun because the odds are very low.
Edited by Onetwo#1132 on 9/30/2012 4:44 PM PDT
I vote that they turn the game off for 6 months, bring in skill trees and synergy ect, then wipe all the players and start over. I know a lot of people would be pissed about this, but personally I would rather have a game worth playing and lose all my stuff rather than not.
View profile
09/30/2012 04:29 PMPosted by SkiTz
Only thing you didn't get into deeply was the AH/RMAH and the affect's it has on the loot.

The thing about the AH is that a lot of it is speculation. Even what you say about the drops being linked to AH inventory is mostly speculative.

I found 0 Legendary/Sets in the first weeks of 1.04. I pretty much chalk it up to randomness. The forums are not always the best indicator of loot drops. 1 minute you will se "OMG Ninja Nerf Drops" because 1 guy didn't find anything. Next minute is another poster saying "I Find 3 Legendaries Daily So Drops Are Fine." Then there are posters like me who consistently find nothing but garbage. It's all random.

I won't argue that the necessity of the GAH/RMAH is a huge component of the game. It's intrinsic to the design on the game whether they admit to it or not.

It is not solely in Inferno where the AH becomes (almost) a necessity. In NM and Hell you can spend hours farming for level 40 items that you will use for 2 hours then throw away, or you can spend 500 gold and get something from the GAH. Again in A1 Inferno you can spend dozens of hours farming A3/4 Hell or gear up decently for less than 100k per piece.

At its core, however, the GAH is simply very efficient trading. Almost too efficient. It becomes easier to play to the AH than play the game.

Now, ideally we would like to find all of our drops on our own and Blizzard recognizes this. They have made only lvl58 drops in Inferno, as well as doubling the Legendary drop rate. This in itself is a huge step in reducing the importance of the AH.
View profile
He didn't even delve into Battle.net either ><

@OneTwo

Actually it did cross my mind. Thinking of doing a revised version of this colossal piece.
One guy also mentioned Hit Detection which many perceive as a major design mistake. Battle.net and also Hit Detection fit nicely into Part 1: Game Development
09/30/2012 04:49 PMPosted by CoolHandLuke
Only thing you didn't get into deeply was the AH/RMAH and the affect's it has on the loot.

The thing about the AH is that a lot of it is speculation. Even what you say about the drops being linked to AH inventory is mostly speculative.

I found 0 Legendary/Sets in the first weeks of 1.04. I pretty much chalk it up to randomness. The forums are not always the best indicator of loot drops. 1 minute you will se "OMG Ninja Nerf Drops" because 1 guy didn't find anything. Next minute is another poster saying "I Find 3 Legendaries Daily So Drops Are Fine." Then there are posters like me who consistently find nothing but garbage. It's all random.

I won't argue that the necessity of the GAH/RMAH is a huge component of the game. It's intrinsic to the design on the game whether they admit to it or not.

It is not solely in Inferno where the AH becomes (almost) a necessity. In NM and Hell you can spend hours farming for level 40 items that you will use for 2 hours then throw away, or you can spend 500 gold and get something from the GAH. Again in A1 Inferno you can spend dozens of hours farming A3/4 Hell or gear up decently for less than 100k per piece.

At its core, however, the GAH is simply very efficient trading. Almost too efficient. It becomes easier to play to the AH than play the game.

Now, ideally we would like to find all of our drops on our own and Blizzard recognizes this. They have made only lvl58 drops in Inferno, as well as doubling the Legendary drop rate. This in itself is a huge step in reducing the importance of the AH.

aye guess will have to see.

Still the legendaries/sets arent bountiful enough anyways (in terms of diversity)

nats for DH
innas for monks
IK for barbs
tal rasha for Wiz

surely blizz could be slightly more creative then just 1 viable set for each class... id expect atleast 2-3 different options for us but then again.. its not like the classes even have 2-3 builds. everyone i see always uses 1 cookie cutter build because its the only viable one that works..
One of the best posts ever made on this forum regarding some of the gameplay issues that should be addressed.

Blizzard won't care about or acknowledge the time and effort you've taken constructing this post, but as a fan of Diablo, I do.

Thank you for the read, sir.

Copying and retaining this for my records, as it will inevitably be ignored, buried, or deleted (or all 3).
Total agreement with the original post. Thought out very well.
his opinion but amounts to rehashed drivel.
Nothing new. same old diversity whines.
So, for you this game is perfect as is?

Forget I said anything. Your profile describes your attitude towards depth of gameplay completely. It's obviously not high on the list for you.

And please don't wash down this quality thread with unnecessary name calling. Thank you
Edited by Otis#1467 on 9/30/2012 7:21 PM PDT
Great read with a sad ending.

That being it won't get a blue response.
Edited by birth#1970 on 9/30/2012 7:32 PM PDT
bump
09/29/2012 04:02 PMPosted by CoolHandLuke
3)Buffed droprates are nice, but do little to fix the core issues of the boring, one-dimensional loot system. Main Stat/Vit/All Res.

I very much agree. Main/Vit/AR is very boring. It feels like you said, one-dimensional.

Good post OP!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]