Diablo® III

Buff Icons.... needs to be more than 5

09/29/2012 05:39 PMPosted by Estoppel
I'm surprised this still hasn't been addressed yet since it was mentioned months ago but numerous people including famous streamers like Kripparian and Athene.

we also dont have identify all options yet ... even though EVERY(!) player is asking for exactly that. But hey now it is only 1 sec. per item. Damn it! I want to have ALL items ID in 1 sec!
Reply Quote
Please Blizzard, when will we stop sacrificing skilled play and the educated gamers who NEED things like this in the name of noobs? Seriously.

We can't put skills on certain mouse buttons, shoot, we can't even use certain actions slots until we "unlock" them - how ghetto is that? Never seen a PC game after 2000 that locks you into playing a certain way like this.

Check out this from Shonrii's stream:
Q: Why do you use Deadly Reach?
A: Because I like to have FoT on mouse2 and Blizzard won't let me put Breath of Heaven on mouse1. Why FoT on mouse2? Because it lets you just hold down mouse 2 to attack/move. You can do this with FoT on mouse1, but you need to click an enemy on the initial click before holding it down. FoT on mouse2 also prevents you from randomly picking up garbage drops.

We have a player NOT ABLE to use the skills he wants to because of Blizzard's stupid system.

Then don't even get me started on elective mode and what an awful idea that was. The inventor of this 'noob friendly" BS needs to be fired. I still see questions nearly daily about how to use multiple "defensive" abilities as a monk. This has clearly caused far more harm than good, and honestly with no proof Blizzard, I don't believe a single person complained that there were too many abilities and it was confusing to choose which ones.

Now we are delaying letting us see more than 5 buffs b/c we don't want "UI CLUTTER"? Give me the option to have all my buffs show NOW and I don't care if you put them front and center and size 100. It's absolutely shameful this change hasn't gone through yet. Especially when stupid buffs like shrines & NV taking up spaces so I can't see important buffs (the shorter ones) and PLAY WITH SKILL.

Stop making noob friendly and draw the line and do something for a change for the people who ACTUALLY CARE. All game developers (not just Blizzard) are so focused on making things noob friendly that they are ruining the quality of their games. Games from 2000, heck even 1990 are vastly superior to the crap that is coming out nowadays.
Reply Quote
Give us a setting in Options were we can decide how many buffs show up on the UI.

P.S. Every buff to our characters should have an icon as well.
Edited by Facedancer#1264 on 10/3/2012 7:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/01/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Vaeflare
We agree that it would be great to be able to view more than five of your active buffs, and we’re currently looking into solutions that would ensure players are able to view buffs that are important to them, while also keeping UI clutter to a minimum. Ideally, we’d like to avoid situations where a portion of your screen is overwhelmed by buff icons (for example, just having your buffs stack across the bottom of your bar) and we’re experimenting with different ways to present that information in a format that works well for Diablo III.

I totally agree, on one hand we need to be able to get the (de-/)buff-info, on the other hand, we need a clean UI. Just increasing buffslots won't really help. I don't want to search my (de-/)buffs. It needs to be clear and compact for an ARPG.

I have some ideas that might work out here and could improve the UI:

- buffs from your own active skills should just need a glowing border on the skill-icon, if it is active on yourself. This would save some buffslots and maybe would solve the problem by leaving all buff slots for other sources.

- for (de-/)buffs which can affect multiple targets (enemies, followers, teammates, pets) it would be nice to show the number of affected targets in the skill (or buff, if the source is a passiv).

- mantras should have only 1 buffslot, and the icon should visually change (maybe another different color for the border^^) to show the extra activation buff (tooltips of mantra buffs would need to be changed too for this)

-I think the most important part of "seeing buffs" is, to "maintain the buffs that I can buff". I want to know if I have all my buffs up and if all my mates did get my buffs. I don't really need to know if my mate has all his teambuffs on me (in most cases), cause that is his job, not mine. We could ensure this by placing the remaining self buffs (from passives) left-aligned. (maye even some more options for sorting / filtering)

- further improve the visibility of visual effects, so that you can see them better on the characters. But I guess it's to hard to do so, cause in multiplayer you always have effect spam on your screen. And on the other hand it's to much work and I guess it would take to long to really work this way. But it could be a solution for some rare cases.

I think the first four points could be done with little (programming) work and tested on beta-servers and I would be glad if Blizz would give these ideas a chance. Cause it's a really annoying problem for some of us and really needs to be fixed asap for the sake of build variety. Cause build with these problems just annoy you while playing. Its frustrating to fail in a fight, cause you where paying more attention to buffs you can't see/find or where counting the 3sec mantra activation buff you couldn't see.

(PS: English is not my native language, I hope that I'm comprehensible. Further excuse me to dig this 6 day old thread, but I didn't wanted to make a new one, since this one is not that old)
Reply Quote
What's the point of debuff icons anyway?

I'm pretty sure anyone who gets caught by a jailer or is frozen can see that without that silly icon. A person who stands on desecrator doesn't need the icon either as his hp goes from 100% to 0 within seconds.

Is anyone even reading the tooltips on those icons? Is it even possible to read them before they go off? I have to admit I still don't know what that Succubs debuff do. When I have dozen of mobs on me I really don't pay attention to those icons, but when I finally get debuffed by a Succub I can't even read the tooltip as the description is too long and it goes off too fast.
Reply Quote
What's the point of debuff icons anyway?

I'm pretty sure anyone who gets caught by a jailer or is frozen can see that without that silly icon. A person who stands on desecrator doesn't need the icon either as his hp goes from 100% to 0 within seconds.

Is anyone even reading the tooltips on those icons? Is it even possible to read them before they go off? I have to admit I still don't know what that Succubs debuff do. When I have dozen of mobs on me I really don't pay attention to those icons, but when I finally get debuffed by a Succub I can't even read the tooltip as the description is too long and it goes off too fast.

I think the point is more PvP than PvE. But I agree that they are almost useless in PvE, because "you don't have the time to read them". A little monster compendium with some background info and the abilities (e.g. debuffs) could help here out. Once you fight an enemy/ability you could read the info for later fights. Same could be done for champion affixes. Would take some time for writing the text, but maybe the devs like this idea too and will put the effort needed to do this^^ (but I think now I'm really daydreaming =)
Reply Quote
the debuffs should stay in my opinion... on desecrators I like to see how many of them are under my feed... 1 ok can stay , 2 hmm should move, 3 run forest run ...
also to now when something like the succubs armor reduction ends ... so please let these debuffs there.

To topic: have to agree ... just double it ^^

To mention another point: Could you please make a icon for the buff that brings Bash using the punish rune like its showing on using frenzy ...
Reply Quote
I think the point is more PvP than PvE

PvP? What's that?
Reply Quote
Well, didn't happen in 1.06, maybe 1.07?
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Rogue
I'd also like to see a numerical indication of the time left on a buff, rather than the time spiral.
Reply Quote
While we are talking buffs.

How about a way to view monster debuffs (and what they do) outside of when you are being hit by them.

Sorta hard to try and mouse over a debuff icon WHILE you are in the middle of the fight.

A simple in-game menu to list them would be great.
Reply Quote
Bump

My vote it 10 icons total
Reply Quote
Please, just increase them 7 total? it won't be a big deal, just change 5 from 7 in that line of code.
Even if this results, in an xtreme case, the overlap of buffs and debuffs, it's worth it. At least for monks, since we always have 5:
nephalem valor
breath of heaven for the dmg
sweeping wind
long-term mantra timer
short-term mantra timer

we can't see when our serenity is going to run out, or if we have the mantra from other monk, or if we have warcry from our friend the barbarian.
Not to mention if we also have a shrine or two.

It could even be a test in PTR, and if people complain that it's "too cluttered" then remove it again and work more on a better solution like you said you will.
Also some monk buffs icons are missing.
Reply Quote
Monks need extra icons for sure. All I have up is NV and soul harvest, so I'm good to go. But monks need more.
Reply Quote
So the developers answer is "Yes, we know there are a lot of buffs going on during the gameplay, but we think that there is so much going on that it would litter your game screen".

These are the most non-creative dev's I've ever !@#$ing seen. Don't you think it's MORE confusing to us to not know what the hell is going on? Why not add a separate page in our character sheets then that will show us ALL buffs?

Why can I think of this and you guys can't? bunch of morons.
Reply Quote
It's funny how they worry about a small bar running across the bottom of the screen but they don't mind gigantic boxes popping up that block the gameplay when you complete a quest or part of a quest.
Reply Quote
Woah woah woah, there are many things that need looked at before we go buffing icons, I mean the icons seem powerful as it is and you want to buff them? Seriously though it would be great to see all of the buff on us
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
UMm...to respond to the community guy 3rd party adds or how about buffs on the top of the screen who are you to say what looks clutter and what doesn't let us mod are UI...Thanks

-Long Time Blizzard Fan
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]