Diablo® III

15 Reasons Not To Play A Monk Part II.

bump
Reply Quote
Only 1 of those passives that you listed are relatively decent, which is transendence. Beacon of Ytar seems like something they just threw in there to have something. Guardian path is worthless because of the harsh diminishing returns dodge suffers from (which in the patch 1.05 will be even worse) Exalted soul is horrible and I don't have to explain it, and lastly I don't even know why you mentioned chant of resonance as most monks.

I also notice that you're in fact using the exact same build as everyone else is lol, except for beacon of ytar, even though you aren't even using any skills that have a long cooldown to begin with... :S

The build that I, and everyone else uses, is pretty much because its an amazing build. Everyone is freaking about about monk being screwed in 1.05, but I'm pretty much using the same thing in 1.05 too. I may swap in Transcendence for STI, but that's about it. I don't get what everyone is so butt hurt about. Monk rocks in 1.04, and will still rock in 1.05. No need for everyone to panic.
Reply Quote
Only 1 of those passives that you listed are relatively decent, which is transendence. Beacon of Ytar seems like something they just threw in there to have something. Guardian path is worthless because of the harsh diminishing returns dodge suffers from (which in the patch 1.05 will be even worse) Exalted soul is horrible and I don't have to explain it, and lastly I don't even know why you mentioned chant of resonance as most monks.

I also notice that you're in fact using the exact same build as everyone else is lol, except for beacon of ytar, even though you aren't even using any skills that have a long cooldown to begin with... :S

The build that I, and everyone else uses, is pretty much because its an amazing build. Everyone is freaking about about monk being screwed in 1.05, but I'm pretty much using the same thing in 1.05 too. I may swap in Transcendence for STI, but that's about it. I don't get what everyone is so butt hurt about. Monk rocks in 1.04, and will still rock in 1.05. No need for everyone to panic.

+1
Reply Quote
monks needs to be buffed rather than nerfed, IMO...
Reply Quote
Blizzard, as an avid monk fan and player I disagree with this post, I don't know why he is crying, maybe his real life problems are seeping in behind the wall of text.1. Monks are fine and not what he makes them out to be2. Stop comparing two different classes that aren't mean to be played the same way3.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAQYTFUKyBsmonk solo monster level 10, so much for this threadanother monk in mlvl 10http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7IhGFYHfbgPlease don't waste forum bandwidth on useless posts.

This guy knows whats up.Less QQ, pls.

More barb mains doing everything they can to keep monks down. Lol. Prometheus you haven't even passed A2 Inferno on your monk and the oher guy - from the fact that you have no weapons equipped I'm guessing exploiter.

Yes - monks with millions in gear can do well. So can any other class.

Game isn't balanced around those people though. It's balanced around the normal player who is still working on their character, probably has around 10-30m worth of gear and who gets shredded in comparison to barbs and WDs with less gear.

Rather than just linking videos and making comments, explain to me how the posts which have mathed out Barbs being as much as 30% stronger than us overall, and additionally coming out 10-15% ahead of us in tankiness in 1.0.5 are wrong.

Or explain why our main defensive stat is the only one that has massive diminishing returns and hardcaps around 50%.
Edited by Kestral#1405 on 9/30/2012 5:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Dodge sucks, LOH is broken, Attack Speed nerf needs to be fixed for monk .

Also, it would be cool if we could actually really teleport. If dashing strike was a useful tool to get out of cess pools of death, perhaps I wouldn't die so much.
Reply Quote
soz 4 info i do know wat im talking about

tempest is monks only escape

soz 4 info

if u dont use it maybe u need use advice from a many hours hardcore monk user

get good lmk

qq wont help u to do that
Reply Quote
09/30/2012 05:50 PMPosted by Sorrow
Blizzard, as an avid monk fan and player I disagree with this post, I don't know why he is crying, maybe his real life problems are seeping in behind the wall of text.1. Monks are fine and not what he makes them out to be2. Stop comparing two different classes that aren't mean to be played the same way3.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAQYTFUKyBsmonk solo monster level 10, so much for this threadanother monk in mlvl 10http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7IhGFYHfbgPlease don't waste forum bandwidth on useless posts.

This guy knows whats up.Less QQ, pls.

More barb mains doing everything they can to keep monks down. Lol. Prometheus you haven't even passed A2 Inferno on your monk and the oher guy - from the fact that you have no weapons equipped I'm guessing exploiter.

Game isn't balanced around those people though. It's balanced around the normal player who is still working on their character, probably has around 10-30m worth of gear and who gets shredded in comparison to barbs and WDs with less gear.

Rather than just linking videos and making comments, explain to me how the posts which have mathed out Barbs being as much as 30% stronger than us overall, and additionally coming out 10-15% ahead of us in tankiness in 1.0.5 are wrong.

Or explain why our main defensive stat is the only one that has massive diminishing returns and hardcaps around 50%.

Let me get this straight, developers clearly state the Higher monster power levels are for the geared people who are bored with the regular game. -I.E. No one is forcing undergeared monks to farm Mlvl10
The op comes in here and cries how bad monks need a buff, well guess what the video evidence I linked you show that monks are viable just like any other geared class.
So please stop pointing fingers at Barbs and DH's - monks ARE FINE.

Blizzard, Monks are fine - this is coming from a die hard monk player.
Edited by Hannibal#1967 on 9/30/2012 6:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Let me get this straight, developers clearly state the Higher monster power levels are for the geared people who are bored with the regular game. -I.E. No one is forcing undergeared monks to farm Mlvl10The op comes in here and cries how bad monks need a buff, well guess what the video evidence I linked you show that monks are viable just like any other geared class.So please stop pointing fingers at Barbs and DH's - monks ARE FINE.Blizzard, Monks are fine - this is coming from a die hard monk player.

Not going to get too deeply into this - but from what I see from my own testing on the PTR, Barbs and WDs need about a 50m investment to start doing MP5 or above.

My monk on the other hand just couldn't keep up, especially against anything with a ground effect. And that's with 25k hp, over 1k resistances and nearly 1000 life on hit.

In the videos people are linking you can see some powerful monks. However many of them are rocking gear values near the billions. I'd say at this point you'd need at least 100m invested in your monk to do MP5, and roughly a 3rd of that to do it on a Skorn Bleed-Proctor.

Also, I hate to comment on profiles, but you are most certainly not a monk player. You have played more than 4x more on your barbarian and DH, have them far more geared and unless I'm not reading correctly, you actually haven't done much of A3 on your monk (where things stop being easy).

Why do you insist on misrepresenting yourself as a die hard monk?
Reply Quote
bump again
Reply Quote
Your geming tells a lot how a hardcore barb you are trying to flame your flawless square monk.

09/30/2012 06:58 PMPosted by Hannibal
Reply Quote
Your geming tells a lot how a hardcore barb you are trying to flame your flawless square monk.

I like how his monk has yet to clear Azmo. Do these people not realize we can see their profiles?
Reply Quote
/signed
Reply Quote
I agree with most of this although some of the info is inaccurate.

OP says "To have a realistic chance of seeing keys, you need to be in MP5 or above. Without obscene amounts of gear a monk either won't have the dps to kill things or the defenses to survive anything" This is wrong because I watched a video where someone farmed the keys as a monk on MP2. You can get keys to drop on any MP level but it becomes easier to obtain on MP2 with 5 stacks which is not that hard to do.

Also, as far a gear being overpriced well that depends on what you chose to stack. I read a thread on the D3/Reddit and someone took a poll on what stat monks chose to stack and a BIG percentage chose poison or arcane. The stat being used by most monks are overpriced but the others are pretty cheap. I personally chose physical because while I was leveling I just found a bunch of gear with physical on it so once I hit 60 I decided to just keep it and go all the way. Physical is one of the least used resists for monks so the cost of the gear is usually cheap.

I have all classes at 60 and the monk is my favorite although they are gimp they still do well with good gear. Even before Ghom got nerfd and people were saying he was impossible to kill I was killing him without ever moving out of the gas for the entire fight.

Most of the monk skills/passives are useless but with good gear some useless skills still do well. But I do agree monks do need some buffing and not nerfing but it's Blizz were dealing with here and they never listen to the players, they do what they want. They would rather nerf us so bad that people stop playing them before they fix the problem rather than listening to us and fix the problems now.

It really seems like the beta for D3 was a pre-alpha and when the game launched it was really a beta we paid for and in time Blizz works to finish the game. Blizz had no clue how to finish D3 so they had to lie to people and release an incomplete game and work to finish it through patches. I feel bad for all the people who got suckered into buying the strategy guide because after a patch or two the guide is useless and was just another way for Blizz to make a few more dollars.
Reply Quote
09/30/2012 04:19 PMPosted by Tyche
my gear is mid grade, and my monk is incredible. you are way off.

Why are you using 2 set items that are designed for the DH? Did you even read the part about the monk gear in the OP?
Reply Quote

Said the 'power leveled monk' without any experience. You are light years away from being a monk.
Reply Quote
If you have problems.. fix them....
get equip with spirit regen
if dodge sucks big time, get a high block rate, not too hard
i know plenty of monks who do more damage than me and dont die
Reply Quote

Let me get this straight, developers clearly state the Higher monster power levels are for the geared people who are bored with the regular game. -I.E. No one is forcing undergeared monks to farm Mlvl10
The op comes in here and cries how bad monks need a buff, well guess what the video evidence I linked you show that monks are viable just like any other geared class.
So please stop pointing fingers at Barbs and DH's - monks ARE FINE.

Die hard monk player ? I have more elite kills on my level 37 barb than you have on your level 60 monk.
Reply Quote
Ok, if you all feel the Monk is such a bad character, why the heck are you so devoted to him/her? By level 20, one which anyone can get to in a matter of an hour or two all classes are fleshed out enough for one to see how effective they will be in the coming levels... I always have started Barb (well, always as in D2 I was a Barb, and I play a Valkyrie in Gauntlet: Legends), and then switch off if I find myself struggling more than reasonable at my lvl on given Act. You had the chance to play a DH, THE most effective class in D3 by far, but you chose to train yourself to be something you saw was at a disadvantage.

Ok, yes, all classes should roll stats to an equal total so to speak, but if, as is said many times above, the devs mistakenly allotted Monks 7 stat points to distribute to the other class' 12-20 (again, so to speak), DON'T PLAY ONE. Or, even cooler, DO play a monk, because a Monk that is keeping it's own with a DH and a MS+ Barb (and a Wizard which is most certainly NOT sucky on builds and stat) in an Inferno co-op game, is a much more skilled player overall thank either of the other 3.

All considered though, my point remains the first part: Why get all Insulted Frat Brothers about your class when it's the runt of the litter but chose to be so? If you wanted a free ride, a 2 weapon DH otherwise naked would have been a fine choice.

Celebrate your struggle, don't complain that you are different by the hand of others (in this case the devs).
Edited by Sur5all#1295 on 9/30/2012 9:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]