Diablo® III

15 Reasons Not To Play A Monk Part II.

If you have problems.. fix them....
get equip with spirit regen
if dodge sucks big time, get a high block rate, not too hard i know plenty of monks who do more damage than me and dont die

Could you show us a profile of these monks?
Reply Quote
I fully support everything OP said.

ESPECIALLY the piss-poor monk passives
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6712882997
Reply Quote
I agree with the post, since we Monk class is just being nerfed... There are like 2 builds to play, the fact is not to nerf those build, the point is to make usefull other skills...

Listen: those 2 builds are not OP.
Reply Quote
Dodge is the only mantra I have ever used...I don't know what you guys are crying about...I don't even spam it that often. No, I can't stand in arcane sentries and desecrate pools long, I can stand in molten and plague for a little while...but then I have to oh no..MOVE. (Sam Kinison) MOVE GTFO DONT STAND IN S**T (/Sam Kinison)

Dodge no longer affects reflect in 1.0.5? That sucks, but it certainly isn't broken.
Reply Quote
I cannot agree more. I've spent in excess of 700million on items for my monk, and even then, barbs still own me. My monk does not die, but neither do the barbs i play with. I run with about 80k DPS unbuffed (i don't buff anyway), but that pales in comparison to the DPS a barb of similar worth (700mil) chucks out (and not to mention it's AoE dmg with Whirlwind), in excess of 110k. I've tried doing 35%FRW, and i'm still getting overtaken by barbs using sprint (just about every barb out there).

It's true that the monk can survive, and i've surviving really well. But there's just no doubt that it's the poorer cousin of the barb. Sure your can be happy helping your party with conviction mantra, but then, if your most useful skill is to help others, i'd much rather be the selfish powerful barb, enjoying the benefits of the selfless monk (assuming he keep up with my sprint to get within range of monsters b4 they're dead).
Reply Quote
@PavelB1: Sure, if you take it in vacumm. But in the context of the other melee class (note: BARBARIANS) dodge is damm unreliable (RNG) and it's not that effective either (Diminished returns+Damm hard to stack).

Oh, +1 to OP again, btw
Edited by IMvess#1118 on 9/30/2012 11:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Dodge is the only mantra I have ever used...I don't know what you guys are crying about...I don't even spam it that often. No, I can't stand in arcane sentries and desecrate pools long, I can stand in molten and plague for a little while...but then I have to oh no..MOVE. (Sam Kinison) MOVE GTFO DONT STAND IN S**T (/Sam Kinison)

Dodge no longer affects reflect in 1.0.5? That sucks, but it certainly isn't broken.

there's nothing wrong with the monk.......until one plays the barb.
Reply Quote
Since 1.05 was announced I've seen the top geared monks selling off to make barbs. Sure I can farm just fine, but just team up with a couple barbs that aren't geared half as well as me and I'm useless to the party. Most don't even bother to invite me anymore cause at 34% run speed I still can't even keep up with them. Sad, but I'm thinking about switching to a barb too. Why farm with a gimped monk when you can do it faster with full MF gear that cost half as much as my DPS gear?
Reply Quote
09/30/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Starbird
Let me get this straight, developers clearly state the Higher monster power levels are for the geared people who are bored with the regular game. -I.E. No one is forcing undergeared monks to farm Mlvl10The op comes in here and cries how bad monks need a buff, well guess what the video evidence I linked you show that monks are viable just like any other geared class.So please stop pointing fingers at Barbs and DH's - monks ARE FINE.Blizzard, Monks are fine - this is coming from a die hard monk player.

Not going to get too deeply into this - but from what I see from my own testing on the PTR, Barbs and WDs need about a 50m investment to start doing MP5 or above.

My monk on the other hand just couldn't keep up, especially against anything with a ground effect. And that's with 25k hp, over 1k resistances and nearly 1000 life on hit.

Cool resists and LOH, but jesus... 25K HP? Well......
Reply Quote
+1 X 9000

I'm supporting every monk thread that I see regarding our current issues until something good is done. It doesn't matter how you argue it in the end..Monks are the new WD pre-1.0.4. Almost completely unplayable due to weak passives, poor spirit regen, absurd gear requirements + actual cost of affording so called gear (unless you get lucky and find decent gear --> Keyword being "lucky"), active skills yield poor DPS results, and one viable build which is already getting nerfed --> StI, and then OwE coming soon.

Keep fighting until something is done!
Reply Quote
@PavelB1: Sure, if you take it in vacumm. But in the context of the other melee class (note: BARBARIANS) dodge is damm unreliable (RNG) and it's not that effective either (Diminished returns+Damm hard to stack).

Oh, +1 to OP again, btw

Yes, compared to the barbs, you and OP and everyone else are very correct.

But that doesn't mean

"All monks use the same build" (They don't)
"You have to spend 25 mill just to clear infenro" (I haven't)
"Dodge is useless" (It isn't)
"You have to have 1000 resists and 1100 LOH" (You don't...you guys are vastly underestimating life on kill. Yes, when my little meat-life pots are all dead, I have to dance a little with elites, but it's not that long)

I'm just trying to counter some of the disinformation, Monks are underpowered compared to Barbs? Ok, I believe you all. But I still like my monk. even with her inefficient, yet still fast enough, build (compared to others using cyclone, overawe, and blinding light)
Reply Quote
Don' do a Wizard either! :/
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6713913078
Reply Quote
LOL maybe your problem is that you guys are all trying to use FOT thunderclap with only LoH for life recovery and find yourselves getting pwned because you can only use that build effectively with incredibly expensive gear. I mean gearing your monk that way REALLY sucks unless you have a !@#$ ton of gold or money to spend because the second you run into a mob that you can't tank down you're dead, so you have to get enough survivability to stand in any kind of elemental attack while dealing an enormous amount of damage to kill some mobs. Doing that costs a LOT of gold and it's just a stupid way to play your monk unless you can afford to do it properly.

edit: Yeah just surfing the profiles of the people complaining, 90% use the "standard" FoT overawe build and everyone who says "monks are fine" uses a "non standard" build with "non standard" gear. The other 10% of people complaining about monks haven't put much time into them and are the same guys who would complain about any other class sucking if they had picked them over a monk because they just haven't put enough effort into gearing their guy and expect the game to beat itself.
Edited by emitnulB#1421 on 10/1/2012 12:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
LOL maybe your problem is that you guys are all trying to use FOT thunderclap with only LoH for life recovery and find yourselves getting pwned because you can only use that build effectively with incredibly expensive gear. I mean gearing your monk that way REALLY sucks unless you have a !@#$ ton of gold or money to spend because the second you run into a mob that you can't tank down you're dead, so you have to get enough survivability to stand in any kind of elemental attack while dealing an enormous amount of damage to kill some mobs. Doing that costs a LOT of gold and it's just a stupid way to play your monk unless you can afford to do it properly.

edit: Yeah just surfing the profiles of the people complaining, 90% use the "standard" FoT overawe build and everyone who says "monks are fine" uses a "non standard" build with "non standard" gear. The other 10% of people complaining about monks haven't put much time into them and are the same guys who would complain about any other class sucking if they had picked them over a monk because they just haven't put enough effort into gearing their guy and expect the game to beat itself.

The point is that if you wanted to strive for greatness, then play the another melee character and not the monk. The monk is playable of course, and so is every other class. But once u've started farming with a barb, the only reason to play a monk is for fun, not farm.
Reply Quote
BeastMode View profile

Monks are fine. Just stop it

I've just took a look at ur gears, and I can guarantee u that, with ur gears (which may take u milions of gold) u CANNOT even survive in 105 MP5. Although u may feel urself like a god in current version.
Reply Quote
10/01/2012 12:21 AMPosted by bryanjude
The point is that if you wanted to strive for greatness, then play the another melee character and not the monk. The monk is playable of course, and so is every other class. But once u've started farming with a barb, the only reason to play a monk is for fun, not farm.

Oh I remember the days when every barb and their brother was saying "OMGZ barbz suxor at f4rming, if you want to farm roll a DH and quit your barb!!!"

Seriously though, if farming speed is all your worried about then you should just use move speed passives on your monk with your teleports. I mean these guys are complaining about not being able to insta clear act 3. That's so stupid, the balance in the game isn't supposed to be made around the speed at which you can clear certain content, only whether you can clear the content. The only real problem is that act 3 is WAY too easy, not that monks are bad. WW barbs shouldn't even be viable. It's a build that nobody used except for the most incredibly geared players until they nerfed the !@#$ out of inferno.

That's the real fail of this game. They nerfed inferno SO hard that everyone can beat the game so easily now that all anyone cares about is how fast they can clear what ever act they want to play. Hopefully monster power will solve that, but MP10 needs to be REALLY difficult, so difficult that it should be unbeatable by 97% of players, but then again, inferno was supposed to be like that and for some reason everyone decided that they needed to cry about not being able to beat the game. If monster power is just something stupid like monsters having extra hp with no bonus damage it's not solving any of the problems and you're still going to have a bunch of people whining about how they can't farm as fast as other players when the real point of the game is to clear the most difficult content. The difficulty is just gone from this game because bliz decided that they needed to make inferno easy mode and now all that's left are a bunch of kids who just want to cry about everything until bliz makes their favorite class OP.

When you talk about "striving for greatness" you shouldn't mean "being able to wipe out act 3 in a matter of seconds", you should mean "I can beat this incredibly difficult mode of this game". Right now that mode doesn't exist so all we hear about is how one class can do one really stupid monotonous task faster than another class. This thread is just stupid (as was the last one) and farming speed should have absolutely nothing to do with balance, and even if it did, monks are still the best because you can build for Tempest Rush which is by far the best way to farm, it just costs a lot of gold so obviously every monk then calls it "unviable" and begs to have some other skill buffed so that they can gain magical edge over everyone else. The funny thing is that these guys complaining about not being able to farm fast enough are the same guys who complained that they couldn't beat inferno, now the game is in easy mode for them and they're still complaining.
Reply Quote
I don't know what is happening with the monk class.
True, our passives are below average compared to other classes.
True, 95% of all endgame monks play the same skill set, which I consider boring, because you don't use any active skills that differ.

Still I am not certain, whether this is because of a bad skill system or because people behave like sheeps and copy the skill set of the moment.

I do fine with my monk, with a completly unusual skill set. I can speedfarm act 3 and it doesn't take me longer than most 200k dps chars of other classes I see on youtube.
I hardly ever die.
I deal millions of dmg using active skills. I one hit elite groups. I one hit packs of dozens of regular mobs.
I would advice people to be more experimental with the monk class and not just to copy skill sets. Might pay off.
Reply Quote
That's so stupid, the balance in the game isn't supposed to be made around the speed at which you can clear certain content, only whether you can clear the content.

Only took a snippet -- post was too long. When the endgame is built around farming, yes, they probably should balance farming potential, where time invested would allow one to push their class to a new limit. If the game was simply just to be balanced around completion, they wouldn't have bothered releasing more content for the endgame to make it seem more worthwhile. Obviously, they believe there is still something for them to achieve monetarily, either with RMAH or an expansion, which as a company, makes sense.

Your comments on the tempest rush builds also aren't exactly true --- Having spent 55mil exploring the tempest rush-Bell spam build and ~200 mil on the tempest rush-SB-SSS build, no, they are not the king of the ladder in farming. For sure they are fast, but you also need to clear the elites quickly as well. Judging from your gear, you haven't tried this yet. I've since sold off my gear, waiting for final patch notes, and then regearing once I figure out how to best tackle MP10 on farming, not completion. One of the things about the tempest rush builds using 2HW is many suffer from lack of armor in 1.0.5. Test this out yourself on the higher MP levels (7-10) for key farming before you casually dismiss ppl as whining. You'll see what some monks have been reporting on the PTR after you get one shot a few times. Other than the hammer wind up or the demonic tremor slam one shots, there are some other goodies that make monks go splat.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]