Diablo® III

15 Reasons Not To Play A Monk Part II.

BUMP.. AGREE.
Reply Quote
To sum up WTS lvl 60 PL 50 Monk on Europe with 88 k dps unbuffed.
Reply Quote
the time ive spent on my monk...i completely relate to all of this. great thread(s)
Reply Quote
I don't know what is happening with the monk class. True, our passives are below average compared to other classes.True, 95% of all endgame monks play the same skill set, which I consider boring, because you don't use any active skills that differ.Still I am not certain, whether this is because of a bad skill system or because people behave like sheeps and copy the skill set of the moment.I do fine with my monk, with a completly unusual skill set. I can speedfarm act 3 and it doesn't take me longer than most 200k dps chars of other classes I see on youtube.I hardly ever die.I deal millions of dmg using active skills. I one hit elite groups. I one hit packs of dozens of regular mobs.I would advice people to be more experimental with the monk class and not just to copy skill sets. Might pay off.

Of course you do just fine, anyone would with the amount of gold or real cash you spent on your items. The average baseline geared monk does, however, suffer all the valid points the OP listed.
Reply Quote
Dodge is the only mantra I have ever used...I don't know what you guys are crying about...I don't even spam it that often. No, I can't stand in arcane sentries and desecrate pools long, I can stand in molten and plague for a little while...but then I have to oh no..MOVE. (Sam Kinison) MOVE GTFO DONT STAND IN S**T (/Sam Kinison)

Dodge no longer affects reflect in 1.0.5? That sucks, but it certainly isn't broken.

there's nothing wrong with the monk.......until one plays the barb.

This.
Reply Quote
bump for justice
Reply Quote
I agree and add my name to this as FIX NOT KILL OFF THE MONK!

I have spent so much time on my monk. I made him first he was great! Then Blizzard started changing him with the first million "UPDATES" etc. He simply got weak! He got weak because blizzard thought he was too powerfull.

So I rolled a Wizard, Barb and DH. Well I missed the monk. Then the new patch came out and I started playing him again. He does ok. (I love looking for upgrades on AH and seeing a new fist going for 200 million gold!)

I HATE the non existant spirit regen. Are you kidding me? They need to make sweeping wind last longer to coinside the mantra and not only when you are attacking. They need to really buff him out and add stand alone gear for him so that he does not have to compete so much with the DH.

I will hate it if Blizzard changes the MONK yet again and makes him some rag doll. As it is I run with my Wifes barb well because her barb can keep my Monk alive and honestly I am her pet lap dog.

Why not look at the affect the barb has on the MONK and make some of those changes to the MONK so he does not have to rely on anyone else as much?

Better yet how about the programmers roll a monk and run around solo for awhile no cheats etc and find gear and see how they fear.

Please help the monk or just give me back my D2 Hammerdin!
Reply Quote
weightless, did you post this ^ lol, or are you really that ignorant. You just claimed the monk is a better DPS class than a barb, really? You listed active monk skills vs passive barb skills, not apples vs apples. Where are the monk's passive damage skills? Don't bother looking, you won't find them. You listed the monk's damage bonus for BF and MoC double %, you conveniently left out that both these bonuses only last 3 seconds each!
Where did you get this is a barb nerfing thread? Almost all the posts are requesting that Blizz do not nerf the monk's only good abilities and to buff some weak ones.
Reply Quote
Funny thing is, as I read the points mentioned by the Op. I sort of noticed similarities and well, the same reasoning's being used for other classes. You can make the same point for a lot of those mentioned for other classes.
Reply Quote
@weightless: Well, I guess talk to me when you are using your REAL ID then? You DO realise 5% crit with 200% crit dmg (assume your CD is this low) equals to 10% dmg increase right? And the additional 50% CD is at least another 5% dmg right? Tat's a free BoH right there, without the hassle of "do I pop this NOW for the dps? Or will I need the heal later?"

You dont wan this to be a barb vs any other class thread? Well dont start taking barb as example.. Coz IT WONT WORK. Barb is still OP.
Reply Quote
10/01/2012 04:35 AMPosted by Weightless
@ Gelato: Dont talk to me when u havent played monk even close as long as i have my.

Don't talk to you based on your play time? who is this, is mommy going to drive you to school now? So a player in paragon levels with every character class and a lv 60 hardcore and softcore monk is not qualified to talk to you while your profile has nothing? You really are a fallen lunatic. BTW weighless, nice job avoiding every point I made about your garbage post.
Reply Quote
Do Blue REALLY READ THIS! I doubt it, because there are no changes yet. QUIT the game or REROLL!
Reply Quote
10/01/2012 05:13 AMPosted by prusswan
There's always the druid in d2...can't expect all classes to be equal.
druid was actually a really good char, i always played with him as he got that thing that around him killing every1 who got near to u ;d
was so much fun to run thro every1 like a ww barbar now and simply loot from the ground :3
Reply Quote
i don't actually know how everything will work out in 1.05. But i just played my friends barb. oh man. It's a world of difference. And i think it's because the style that monks play is generally as a static melee character, whereas my friends barb is moving all the time. His resistence is about the same as mine post warcry (1200), and armor is higher by about 2k or so (probably thanks to the Vit passive), but i think that's covered by the monk skill crippling wave (concussion).

But it really helps that barbs can get in and out of packs (jailer poses problems) and do damage at the same time (run with the wind is really convenient). Maybe monks just lose out in convenience of skills. The barbs 140k DPS unbuffed makes sure that he tears through everything with WW. Overall damage wise the monk cannot get the same AoE damage the barb has. My monk's AoE is crippling wave and damage wise, currently cannot touch the barb.

Currently, at endgame gear, both the monk and barb can fight through desecrators and arcane sentries.

i'm not sure if the difference can be described through stats and numbers. Monks and Barbs both don't die now, but monks just have no attacking edge. Monks are mowing elite packs in solo games, but not in 4-player games (barbs are). Might be because monks fight for Dex gear with DHs, so getting DPS up is really expensive. Barbs go with LL and monks LoH, might be due to higher DPS for monks being really exclusive, and both effective for now.

We don't know how much trouble blizzard is having trying to balance out the characters. But let's stop complaining, and just play a barb. That would do it's part in driving prices up anyways haha. Perhaps if we all did this, it'd become way too expensive to play a barb.
Reply Quote
10/01/2012 05:20 AMPosted by Weightless
There's always the druid in d2...can't expect all classes to be equal.
druid was actually a really good char, i always played with him as he got that thing that around him killing every1 who got near to u ;d
was so much fun to run thro every1 like a ww barbar now and simply loot from the ground :3

HAHA! i remember the druid! everytime we did baal runs, everyone would be complaining about the hurricane druid causing lag!! PvM looting in D2 was just the enigma hammerdin. Good times...good times haha
Reply Quote
Roflmao, 8 pages on Part II and not 1 single Blue response. That is not a good way to show you are listening to your player base Devs!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]