Diablo® III

"failed to launch a critical file"

Just downloaded the PTR client and pulled the 8.x GB installer.

When launching for the first time after fully downloading the client in windows 7, with admin creds (to elevate past UAC), I get the following error message when I click on "PLAY"

"Failed to launch a critical file. Please close all other applications, temporarily deactivate your anti-virus software, and try again. Alternatively, log in as an administrator and try again".

Looked on the forums and google search -- no results.

Any ideas?
Reply Quote
I have just experienced the exact same thing.

I am NOT impresses one bit either. There seems to be no info on this issue anywhere either.

IF THERE IS A BLIZZARD TECH SUPPORT PERSON READING THIS.... SEND ME A FIX
Reply Quote
Me too. This is very aggravating. I will just have to wait for GM's to look into it. Which can take... God knows how long. Hopefully, it will be soon, but... Doubt it.
Reply Quote
Here is my fix. On the desktop icon for Diablo 3

1.) Right Click
2.) Select Properties
3.) In the "Target" line go to the end of it (place a space after the last ") and type " -launch" (no quotes)

Doing this bypasses the launcher and forces the game to go straight to loading. So i bypassed both errors i get. The 1 because my graphics card is not supported and the "A critical file failed to start" or whatever.

I hope this works for you!
Reply Quote
I had this problem after I installed Windows 8. I reinstalled Diablo 3 and tried everything mentioned, nothing worked until I tried compatibility for XP service pack 3. It runs now but still gives me a warning that Diablo 3 is incompatible. For now though I can play again.
Reply Quote
the same thing is happening to me. i filed a ticket with blizzard. i followed every step i could find anywhere and it didnt work. i tried the -launch thing and it didnt work either
Reply Quote
was just playing d3, but the game would lockup every 2 mins so i restarted my computer tried to open d3 and i get this error....wtf, i didnt do anything but reboot!
Reply Quote
i want to play diablo 3 now
Reply Quote
Same problem here, it worked last night...then i wake up this morning and nothing... tried everything so far and nothing changes...
Reply Quote
How is this still an issue after more than a year. !@#$ing Blizzard
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Manimal
How is this still an issue after more than a year. !@#$ing Blizzard

this is the support article for the error in the OP
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/BLZBNTAGT00000843

this is a link to my post for troubleshooting steps.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728403638?page=3#54
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]