Diablo® III

Please STOP spinning my fans

Don't know why your game decided to start doing this, but it's making it unplayably annoying.
There is no reason for you to have my default fan speed rpms at a constant 5000 when the temperature is low.

I am extremely angry about this for 2 reasons:

1. there will of course be no [removed] blue response.

2. the only "advice" I get will imply it is my macbook's fault even though it only happens with D3.

Signed,
loyal launch player, about to effing give up on this game finally
Edited by Machkhan on 10/9/2012 5:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Please remember to keep your posts constructive.

When did this issue first start?

Also, it would help to see some system information about your Mac.

1. Launch Diablo III.
    2. Put Diablo III into Windowed Mode if it is not already in Windowed Mode.
    3. From the system menu bar, select Help > Copy Support Information: http://i49.tinypic.com/33njnzn.png
    4. Paste the contents of the copied system information here (Command-V)
Reply Quote
I just spent hours completely restoring my mac, it now has nothing but essential apps on it, and of course no malware.

I noticed the never ceasing max fan speed within the last two days.

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 4:16

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f3
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
gMux Version: 1.9.23
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 384 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0116
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 1.9.23

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI

I have tried everying, and until today ran the specs at lowest possible except for screen resolution. 6200 rpms is too much, and extremely annoying. The temp of my system nowhere near warrants such a speed.

Edit: >.< The restore did nothing.
Edited by LostMan#1541 on 10/10/2012 1:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You realize that the game doesn't control the fan speeds, right? The fan speeds are being controlled by the SMC (System Management Controller). This regulates power and temperature of your computer. The reason why your fans are speeding up that high is because it is trying to keep your temperatures below a certain level to maintain system integrity and stop bad things from happening (such as your hardware burning up). If you think there is something amiss with the fan speeds, then do an SMC and PRAM reset first and then look at if the problem is still happening. There are a few third party solutions to fan control, however you need to keep in mind that the OS itself still holds complete control. While you can have nothing open and use one of these third party apps to make your fanspeeds skyrocket, you opposite doesn't hold true. You (to my knowledge) cannot use one of these apps to force your fan speeds down if the system still thinks it needs to be keeping the hardware cool. You can use the third party apps to suggest to the SMC what it should do, and it may or may-not listen.
Reply Quote
I would agree with the above post.
But . . .
I am very hesitant to use a 3rd party app to control the fan speeds of any Mac. As the OS usually does a good job. I would download something like istat pro to check your internal Mac temperatures and fan speeds and so you can keep a check on these things.

My fans do speed up on the odd occasion but after a few seconds they slowly slow down. I also would hit the Apple community forums and see if anyone else has this same issue. As low temps + high fan speeds = something's amiss. Maybe someone else already has a solution to this.
Reply Quote
Given the current discussion, I bring to the table (once again) the issue I'm having with both a mac mini and a Macbook and the temperature and fan speed when playing Diablo. This cannot be a coincidence. It started happening, at least to me, after the latest patch.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794732247
Reply Quote
Can you post some fan speeds and temperature numbers? (use Celsius)
Reply Quote
When playing D3 (with only skype open, no additional programs), temperature goes from 45-50 celsius up to 95-98 celsius, RPM goes from 2000 up to 6000. This happens in both computers, mac mini 2010 and macbook 2012.
Edited by Lorena#1940 on 10/10/2012 9:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That is normal. You should see similar results for most if not all other graphics intensive applications.
Reply Quote
Well, my fan died... and any app that measures temperature recommends closing the program you're running every time temp. reaches 98, so I don't know if that can be deemed as normal, to be honest.

Also, it was not happening before with the game.

The fact is, if you were to disregard the risk it poses to your computer (which you should't), the performance of the game is also affected (stuttering, glitches, etc.). That shouldn't be deemed as normal either.
Reply Quote
No, it IS diablo 3, guys. I've done all that. Everything you've said. And yes I have Fan Control, and have programmed it to be optimal with World of Warcraft, kicking in if it needs to before the default setting for macbook (yes I've tried this all without Fan Control too of course, don't ask). My temperature is lower than low and NO program or game makes it shoot up to 6200 rpms for no reason... Even still, here's what I've also done in case it was my mac:

I took the cardboard box the laptop came in and cut SEVERAL vents running along the width of the top and bottom of the box.

I added a small number to the lengths sides as well, careful not to destroy the strength inherent to the box.

I super glued two wine bottle corks to the top/back of one side of the box so that the laptop would be elevated (even though there's not much of the top-side of the box left to elevated from) and slanted towards me.

I added a bag of frozen peas to the inside of the "box" (nothing like a box now obv), but am careful not to block the air tunnel

I positioned myself under a ceiling fan on high, and brought the mini fan three feet to the right of the box and laptop, on low setting so that the air tunnel under and around the laptop was constantly recycled while blocking only the frozen peas.

I fastened the box holding the laptop the top of a rather large book on Rembrandt's style, focusing after his wife's death to further elevate it from anything that would trap heat.

I played the game.

My CPU temperature listed only 115 degrees F.

Using App tamer, I was sure that no other program would be allowed to run in background, including Finder.

Using Free Memory, I noted that I had about 1/4-1/3 free ram.

I went through a waypoint to core of arreat.

My fan speed went up to 6200 RPMs within 45 seconds to a minute.

Yeah, COULDN'T be the game client, huh.

PS: I have also tried NOT doing each of these things.
Edited by LostMan#1541 on 10/10/2012 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
LostMan, you are my hero. Not for your obvious technical skills, but for your wit :P

Back to the issue that concerns us. Yeah, the problem is Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
Well, my fan died... and any app that measures temperature recommends closing the program you're running every time temp. reaches 98, so I don't know if that can be deemed as normal, to be honest.

Also, it was not happening before with the game.

The fact is, if you were to disregard the risk it poses to your computer (which you should't), the performance of the game is also affected (stuttering, glitches, etc.). That shouldn't be deemed as normal either.

It sounds like whatever app you are using is trying to pre-emptively warn you about something that shouldn't happen. The logicboard has a built-in safety measure that will actually force a shutdown if your internal temperatures reach unsafe levels to prevent hardware damage. This is called a "Thermal Shutdown" and will typically only happen if your heatsink and fans aren't seated properly or functioning. This means you have a computer that wasn't assembled properly or has faulty hardware in it. If you are indeed right about your fan being dead, then I wouldn't use the computer until I got that replaced. Stuttering and performance problems can arise from hardware that isn't performing properly, such as in the case of overheating. However, overheating is when you are reaching the threshold for the Thermal Shutdown to be triggered, not due to constant use.

For example, when I run handbrake to rip a DVD to my computer I can see temps up to 105C. This is because handbrake puts a LOT of demand on the hardware to do the video encoding as fast as possible. When playing demanding games, it isn't unusual to see temperatures of the CPU and GPU reach anywhere from 85-100C. Yes that is VERY hot, but that is well within the operating temperatures of the computer before you start reaching the "danger zone" for what is classified as "overheating". Like I said I would get that fan replaced, and if you are seeing the temps at levels you don't think are normal then put the computer somewhere that would get more airflow. It is also possible that you might have dust clogging your air-intake vents. To get those cleaned then take it to an applestore or a apple certified technical so that they can open it and clean it out for you.

You also have to give the temperature sense a bit of leeway on readings. They are pretty accurate, but always take it with a grain of salt considering it is a temperature sensor that is surrounded by metal that is retaining heat. always read the temperature it gives you as plus/minus a few degrees.
Reply Quote
No, it IS diablo 3, guys. I've done all that. Everything you've said. And yes I have Fan Control, and have programmed it to be optimal with World of Warcraft, kicking in if it needs to before the default setting for macbook (yes I've tried this all without Fan Control too of course, don't ask). My temperature is lower than low and NO program or game makes it shoot up to 6200 rpms for no reason... Even still, here's what I've also done in case it was my mac:

I took the cardboard box the laptop came in and cut SEVERAL vents running along the width of the top and bottom of the box.

I added a small number to the lengths sides as well, careful not to destroy the strength inherent to the box.

I super glued two wine bottle corks to the top/back of one side of the box so that the laptop would be elevated (even though there's not much of the top-side of the box left to elevated from) and slanted towards me.

I added a bag of frozen peas to the inside of the "box" (nothing like a box now obv), but am careful not to block the air tunnel

I positioned myself under a ceiling fan on high, and brought the mini fan three feet to the right of the box and laptop, on low setting so that the air tunnel under and around the laptop was constantly recycled while blocking only the frozen peas.

I fastened the box holding the laptop the top of a rather large book on Rembrandt's style, focusing after his wife's death to further elevate it from anything that would trap heat.

I played the game.

Using App tamer, I was sure that no other program would be allowed to run in background, including Finder.

You must have missed the part where I said the game client CANNOT CONTROL your fan speeds. I said nothing about it not causing increased fan speeds. Yes it indeed does cause increased fan speeds and heats up your mac. There is no denying that, but apparently you skipped my post explaining the mechanics of WHY the fans are speeding up.
Edited by DirkGently#1944 on 10/10/2012 11:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
even giving the temperature a leeway of 50 degrees, it should not be this high. It's listed at 115F.
Edited by LostMan#1541 on 10/10/2012 11:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote

I played the game.

You must have missed the part where I said the game client CANNOT control your fan speeds. I said nothing about it not causing increased fan speeds. Yes it indeed does cause increased fan speeds and heats up your mac. There is no denying that, but apparently you skipped my post explaining the mechanics of WHY the fans are speeding up.

and apparently YOU missed my post, detailing how this has nothing to do with heat.
Reply Quote
10/10/2012 11:34 AMPosted by LostMan
even giving the temperature a leeway of 50 degrees, it should not be this high. It's listed at 115F.

You realize that 115F is about 46C, which is normal operating temperature of a MBP at room temperature?
Reply Quote
I also forgot to add that I opened the bottom panel of my new MBP last night and cleaned the two dust bunnies I found in there. The fans were spotless.

I've also run a hardware check, everything's fine.

And to reiterate, I erased and reinstalled the OS last night.
Reply Quote
You said it rockets up to 6200rpm? That sounds like the upper bracket that the system is allowed to set it to, however that is far above that any third party application can interface to tell it to go to. I have a late 2008 MBP and the range that is allowed to be suggested to the system is between 2000 and 6000 rpm. However if the system deems it necessary, it can push it up to 6200 rpms. If you try to set it to this or higher through a third party app the system will only recognize the high end of the bracket, for me that is the 6000 rpms. What you are describing sounds like a problem with the SMC itself. Please do try reseting the SMC, and the PRAM and see if that changes anything for you. Do also check for any firmware updates for your mac.

I am still not going to change my stance on this as it is a fact that using the GPU and CPU causes more heat to be generated. This isn't an over-time thing, as soon as you start putting demand on the graphics card and the CPU, and the more powerful each are then the more heat they are going to generate. The fact that you don't see a significant increase in heat should go to show you that you have a mac that is operating properly and is preventing itself from getting too hot. You want it to get hot, then it is still going to run the fans on high to cool down. I can only assume you are trying to reach some middle-ground here on fan noise to heat ratio. I have more faith in the apple engineering team than you do in deeming how the hardware should operate. If it is that much of a bother then I would suggest buying yourself some studio headphones or a surround sound system to play the game with.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]